M Pharmacy, or Master of Pharmacy, is a postgraduate degree in the field of pharmaceutical science and its related subjects, having a number of specializations such as pharmacology, pharmaceutics, and many more.
Know More About Pharmacy Courses
The M Pharm course duration is 2 years, spread over 4 semesters, whose syllabus includes subjects such as Drug Delivery System, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacognosy, Regulatory Affairs, etc.
This is a highly pursued professional course whose minimum eligibility is that the interested students must have completed a B Pharmacy course from a college recognized by Pharmacy Council of India (PCI).
Admissions to this course is mostly done on the basis of MPharm Entrance Exams such as GPAT, NIPER, OJEE, etc. However some colleges also accept students on the basis of marks scored at their graduation level.
Madras Medical College, Chennai and Government College of Pharmacy, Bangalore are some of the best colleges & institutes that are considered by pharmaceutical aspirants to study this master degree either full time or part time.
Apart from this, there are more than 150 colleges that offer this course. The following table shows some of the Top MPharm Colleges in India as per the NIRF Ranking 2019:
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Entrance Test||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|3||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Mohali||NIPER JEE||INR 1,81,000||INR 7,00,000|
|4||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai||GPAT||INR 1,41,500||INR 6,00,000|
|7||Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS), Manipal||MET||INR 8,34,000||INR 3,25,000|
|10||JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore||--||INR 5,06,500||INR 6,00,000|
|24||Bombay College of Pharmacy (BCP), Mumbai||GPAT||INR 276,222||INR 3,50,000|
The average MPharm fees for 2 years is around INR 2,50,000, but it totally depends upon the colleges from which you are pursuing the course. In private colleges like Chitkara University, the total fees can go upto INR 4,00,000.
Master of Pharmacy mainly deals with the proper use of pharmaceutical products and the underlying chemistry related to it. The course is highly popular since its main focus is on proper training to have a successful career in the pharmaceutical field.
It opens up a plethora of opportunities to hold a career in the healthcare industry in sectors such as Formulation, Quality Control, Drug Designing, Packaging, etc with the average salary of around INR 3-6 LPA.
|Manipal University MPharm Admissions 2020||BHU MPharm Admissions 2020||Nirma University MPharm Admissions 2020|
Pharmacy students are highly recruited as Quality Control Chemist, Pharmacist, Pharmacotherapist, Drug Regulator, Research Associate, among others. After years of experience, and qualifying relevant exams, professionals can also be hired as a Drug Inspector.
Since MPhram is not a terminal degree, hence students can study PharmaD in future to get the highest degree in the field of pharmaceutical science. Students can also opt for a PhD degree in a related domain to gain a certain level of expertise and to be eligible to teach in colleges, or may pursue MBA to enter the challenging field of management and business in the Pharmacy or Hospital Management domain.
M Pharmacy Admission Process
MPharm admissions are mainly carried out on the basis of the marks acquired by the students in their graduation and the scores secured in MPharm Entrance Exams like GPAT.
After clearing the exam, students are called for the Interview Round in their respective colleges whose applications form they had filled earlier.
Here are the following steps which a candidate may undertake in order to get admitted to the top MPharm colleges in India:
Step 1: Apply for the entrance exam
First and foremost, the students will have to select the college in which they want to take admission in. Then, they will have to check which entrance exams they consider and apply for that Entrance Exam in order to be considered for the MPharm admission.
Step 2: Appear for the entrance exam
The students will have to sit for the examination and secure a decent score. This will help them to get admitted to a college of their choice.
Step 3: Shortlisting of the candidates
The students will be shortlisted based on the marks acquired by them in the entrance exam. Each college has its own cut-off based on which students are admitted. Only if you clear the cut-off, you will be able to proceed with the further stages of the admission process.
Step 4: Counseling Round
In this round, the students are allotted a seat in college of their choice. Some colleges directly admit the students based on their test scores. However, some colleges conduct an additional round of interviews based on which students are admitted to the college.
M Pharmacy Eligibility
- In order to be eligible for the Master of Pharmacy course, the students must have a minimum of 50% or equivalent CGPA in their Bachelor of Pharmacy or BPharmacy course from a recognized university or college from PCI (Pharmacy Council of India)
- Some colleges like Amity University required a minimum of 60% or equivalent to be able to consider for MPharm Admission.
M Pharmacy Entrance Exams
Entrance Examination is an integral part of the admission process of various popular M.Pharm colleges. A number of entrance tests are conducted for admission to the various colleges, the most popular of them being GPAT.
Every year, thousands of students sit for the GPAT test. Most of the top M.Pharm colleges accept GPAT. Some colleges conduct their own entrance tests.
Below are mentioned some of the most common MPharm Entrance Exams for the admission into top pharmaceutical colleges in India:
GPAT is the national level entrance test for admission to the various MPharm Colleges of India. The examination was previously conducted by AICTE but now it will be conducted by NTA. This exam is held annually and consists of questions from topics like pharmacology, pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacognosy, etc. It is a 3 hours test that is conducted in a CBT (Computer Based Test) mode.
AP PGECET 2020:
Andhra Pradesh Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test is a state-level examination which is conducted for admission to the various MPharm colleges of Andhra Pradesh. The test is of 2 hours and is conducted in CBT mode.
BITS HD Pharmacy:
Birla Institute of Technology Higher Degree Pharmacy is the entrance test conducted by BITS for admission to their MPharm course. The test is conducted in two slots and the total mark of the examination is 100.
|Entrance Test||Mode of Examination||Time Duration||Application Period*||Date of Examination*|
|GPAT 2020||CBT||3 hours||November 1-December 10, 2019||January 28, 2020|
|AP PGECET 2020||Online||2 hours||March 09-May 20, 2020||August 02-04, 2020|
|TS PGECET 2020||CBT||3 hours||February 20-May 15, 2020||To be Announced|
|BITS HD 2020||Offline||3 hours||March 20-May 11, 2020||To be Announced|
|OJEE 2020||CBT||1 hour||February 6-May 10, 2020||Postponed until further notice|
|HPCET 2020||Offline||3 hours||Second week of March-Last week of April, 2020||May 10, 2020|
|AU AIMEE Pharmacy 2020||Offline||3 hours||May 2-May 30, 2020||June 4, 2020|
**These dates may have been changed because of COVID 19 outbreak.
How to prepare for Master of Pharmacy entrance tests?
- In order to prepare for the entrance test, the students must have a clear idea about the examination in which they are going to appear. The Master of Pharmacy entrance tests are mostly 2 hours to 3 hours duration. During that time, the students will have to attempt 150-200 questions.
- Questions are asked from course-specific topics. General questions from Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are also asked. The difficulty level of the question paper ranges from medium to difficult.
- For their preparations, the students are advised to divide the entire syllabus into smaller subparts and complete a specific part of the syllabus within a certain duration of time. They should master the basic concepts of all the topics. Practicing the previous years’ questions is also an important part of their preparation.
How to get admission in a good MPharm college?
- To get admitted to one of the best M Pharmacy colleges in India, you need to secure a good score in the entrance test. Only a decent score will guarantee your admission in a top college.
- Be prepared for further rounds of selection. In case you are called for an interview, you must be well-prepared.
- Always keep a track of all the important dates related to the admission process i.e. Date of submission of examination form, date of examination, etc.
- Start to prepare for the entrance test one year before the date of examination. In that way, you will gain a lot of confidence and will also secure a very good score in the exam.
M Pharmacy: What is it About?
- Pharmacy is a branch of science that teaches the students how to deal with pharmaceutical drugs and how to use them optimally. MPharm is a master's degree course in pharmacy which centers around chemical science and health science.
- The course provides students with knowledge of different aspects of pharmacy like industrial operations, instrumentations, emerging technologies, and various research methodologies.
- The course is mainly divided into 4 semesters and at the end of each semester, the students will have to sit for an examination. The candidates will also have to submit a thesis during their final year of study.
- It offers specialization in various fields like Regulatory Affairs, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmacy Practice, Cardiovascular Pharmaceutics, etc. Each of these specializations is highly popular and can give students a bright future.
- The average total fee charged by a college offering an M.Pharm course is around INR 2,50,000. The fee totally depends on the college. If it is a government college, then the fee would be less as compared to that of a private college.
- M.Pharm is a very popular course and it is in high demand from the industrial point of view. It is quite an easy task to build a career in his field. The students may seek jobs in research centres, government sectors, pharmaceutical labs, and many more. The average salary is around INR 3 to 6 LPA.
Who should opt for M Pharmacy?
- Students who have a genuine liking in medicines and life sciences can excel at M.Pharm. course.
- Opting this course is a perfect option for students who hold a keen interest in pharmacy.
- An appealing personality and a high level of patience is a prerequisite for this course.
- Students should also have a research understanding of the subject.
- The students with ethical awareness and interpersonal awareness can opt for this course.
- A sense of responsibility and strong logical thinking are other attributes which go well this course.
- Students can further develop themselves in this course with analytical thinking and patience.
- This course suits well to the students who want a fulfilling career in supporting health service of the country.
- Students with excellent communication skills and a flair for convincing people are always welcomed in MPharm. Candidates with numeracy as their strongest suit are tailor made for this course.
M Pharmacy: Course Highlights
|Full-form||Master of Pharmacy|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in B.Pharm from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit + Entrance Test|
|Top Entrance Examinations||GPAT, APPGECET, OJEE, HPCET, BITS, etc.|
|Average Fee||INR 2,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3-6 LPA|
|Job Positions||Quality Control and Quality Assurance Managers, Sales Managers, Physician Associate, Health Economists, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Cipla, Lupin, Biocon, Wockhardt, Aurobindo, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Novozymnes, etc.|
Why Study M Pharmacy?
There are numerous benefits of pursuing a degree in Master of Pharmacy. Few of the benefits have been listed below:
- The students will acquire in-depth knowledge about pharmaceutical drugs, their productions, handling and optimal utilization.
- The subject plays a major role in the advancement of medical science. Pharmacy knowledge is largely required in inventing the latest medicines to combat various deadly diseases.
- M.Pharm provides excellent placement opportunities. The students may be placed in government sectors, pharmaceutical labs, chemical industry, and so on.
- The students also have a huge scope to perform research activities in top pharmaceutical companies and institutions as Research Associate, Research Assistant, Scientist, etc. and earn a decent salary according to their fixed government payscale.
- Own ventures can be opened where the students can carry out various research activities in private labs.
M Pharm vs MSc in Clinical Research:
Both these courses are master level courses providing training in their respective fields.
|Parameters||M.Pharm||M.Sc in Clinical Research|
|Qualification||Master of Pharmacy||Master of Science in Clinical Research|
|Course Overview||M.Pharm is mostly related to the usage and safety of drugs and other pharmaceutical products. It has a crucial role to play in healthcare and medical sciences.||M.Sc in Clinical Research deals with the safety and usage of drugs, vaccines and diagnostic agents. It carries out in-depth research regarding the clinical health of living organisms.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1,00,000- INR 5,00,000||INR 50,000-INR 5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA- 10 LPA||INR 3 LPA- 12 LPA|
|Colleges||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Mohali, Institute of Chemical Technology Mumbai, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences Manipal||Ansal University, Indus University, Chandigarh University, Sharda University, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Biocon, Wockhardt, Aurobindo, Cipla, Lupin, Dr Reddy's Laboratories||Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital, GB Pant, Max Hospital, Metro Hospital|
M Pharmacy Specializations
Master of Pharmacy offers a number of specializations. You must choose your specialization according to your area of interest. Here, we have mentioned some of the popular specializations of M.Pharm:
MPharm in Pharmacology:
MPharm in Pharmacology is a special branch of M.Pharm which is concerned about the advanced study of pharmaceuticals. It mainly deals with the study of the interaction between chemicals and living organisms. Check MPharm Pharmacology Colleges in India 2020.
MPharm in Pharmaceutics:
MPharm in Pharmaceutics will help to educate the students about the composition and manufacture of different medicines. It also includes the various developments which have taken place in drug and delivery operations. Check MPharm Pharmaceutics Colleges in India 2020.
MPharm in Industrial Pharmacy:
MPharm in Industrial Pharmacy mainly revolves around the study of mass spectrometers. The students will learn about the uses and functions of mass spectrometers. It helps the students to understand more about the pharmaceutical industry and its direct impact on health care. Check MPharm Industrial Pharmacy Colleges in India 2020.
MPharm in Pharmaceutical Chemistry:
MPharm in Pharmaceutical Chemistry deals with the design and application of various chemical products in healthcare. The students will get to apply the various modern techniques in designing new drugs. The course is mainly concerned about the chemical aspects in pharmaceutical sciences. Check MPharm Pharmaceutical Chemistry Colleges in India 2020.
The table shows Average Fees and Average Salary associated with M Pharmacy Specializations:
|Name of the Specialization||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|M.Pharm in Pharmacology||INR 1,20,000 to INR 6,00,000||INR 3 LPA to INR10 LPA|
|M.Pharm in Pharmaceutics||INR 1,00,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 2 LPA to INR 8 LPA|
|M.Pharm in Industrial Pharmacy||INR 1,00,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 2 LPA to INR 20 LPA|
|M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Chemistry||INR 40,000 to INR 1,00,000||INR 3 LPA to INR 9 LPA|
M Pharmacy Top Colleges
There are hundreds of M.Pharm Colleges in India. Out of these colleges, we have listed the top institutes as per NIRF Rankings:
|NIRF Rank||College Name||City||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|1||Jamia Hamdard University||New Delhi||INR 5,00,000||INR 3.5 LPA|
|3||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER)||Mohali||INR 1,81,000||INR 7 LPA|
|4||Institute of Chemical Technology||Mumbai||INR 1,41,500||INR 6 LPA|
|7||Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences||Manipal||INR 8,34,000||INR 3.25 LPA|
|11||Birla Institute of Technology||Ranchi||INR 5,00,000||INR 6.5 LPA|
|16||Poona College of Pharmacy||Pune||INR 2,50,000||INR 3 LPA|
|24||Bombay College of Pharmacy||Mumbai||INR 2,76,222||INR 3.5 LPA|
|37||PSG College of Pharmacy||Coimbatore||INR 2,00,000||INR 3 LPA|
The table below shows comparison between some of the top MPharm colleges in India on the basis of different parameters:
|College Name||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali||Institute of Chemical Technology||Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi|
|Overview||NIPER is definitely one of the best colleges in the country for pharmaceutical studies. It offers various courses like B.Pharm, M.Pharm. etc.||ICT is another prime technical institute of the country which offers courses like B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Pharm, etc.||BIT is a very popular private college that is known for its excellent education. It offers a number of courses in various fields including B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Pharm, Ph.D.|
|Average Fees||INR 1,81,000||INR 1,41,500||INR 5,00,000|
|Average CTC||INR 7 LPA||INR 6 LPA||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||Ranbaxy Biosciences, Coromandel International Limited, Syngenta Biosciences.||Dow Chemical, Alfa Laval, Sulzer Pumps India Ltd.||SAPS Lab, Napier Health Care, Verizon|
Source: College Websites
M Pharmacy Syllabus
M.Pharm course includes core subjects, elective subjects, and labs. The elective subjects will depend upon your course specialization. The choice of subjects may vary from college to college but the general topics have been listed below:
|Drug Regulatory Affairs||Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA, Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) preparation, New Drug Application (NDA), Investigational New Drug Application (INDA)|
|Advanced Pharmaceutics||Kinetic Principles and Stability Testing, Optimization Techniques, Quality Control, Preformulation Studies|
|Biological Evaluation||Pre-clinical Evaluation of drugs, Alternatives to animal screening procedures, Bioassays, Modern Methods of Pharmacological|
|Product Development and Formulation||Pilot Plant Scale-up Techniques, Suppositories, Dermatological Preparations, Fundamental Aspects of Product Development.|
|Novel Drug Delivery Systems||Oral drug delivery, Fundamentals of controlled release drug delivery systems, Regulatory consideration in controlled release.|
|Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics||Distribution of drugs, Elimination of the drug, Absorption of drugs, Pharmacokinetics.|
Know More in Detail: MPharm Syllabus & Subjects
M Pharmacy Jobs & Salary
Master of Pharmacy offers excellent job prospects and career options to the deserving candidates. Here, we have listed some of the top work areas where M.Pharm students are offered jobs:
- Quality Control
- Quality Assurance
- Sales and Marketing
- Health Economy
- Nutrition Pharmacy
The table below lists some of the most common job profiles of M.Pharm candidates along with the job description and average annual salary:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Pharmacist||Mainly concerned about the safety and usage of various pharmaceutical drugs.||INR 2.5 LPA|
|Medical Representatives||Representatives of various pharmaceutical organizations are mainly concerned about dealing with clients.||INR 3 LPA|
|Clinical Researchers||Conducts research and development activities related to drugs and medicines.||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Drug Control Director||Performs research activities on various serious and non-serious diseases.||INR 6 LPA|
|Oncology Research||Consults & conducts research on cancer and cancer-related drugs.||As per Govt. standards|
M.Pharm provides an excellent salary package to the meritorious students. Here, we have given a rough estimates of the median salaries of M.Pharm professionals:
Check More in Detail: MPharm Jobs & Salary
M Pharmacy Scope
Pharmacy holds a high degree of importance in India in terms of economy. India is one of the highest producers and manufacturers of some of the most important novel & synthetic drugs in the world.
India is also known to export different drugs and synthetics raw materials to different countries. This makes the country one of the top investment opportunities by many international phramactrucal companies.
International and renowned organizations such as Novozymes, Novonordisk, Amgen, Merck, Sanofi, Rosche, Pfizer, etc. have their offices and units in different cities of India such as Bangalore, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Chennai, etc.
There has always been a high demand for professionals from the pharmaceutical industry. They are also highly sought after in the chemical industry. The contribution of pharmaceutical science in medical science is enormous without which no new medicines could be designed.
Hence, M.Pharm offers excellent career prospects. After successful completion of the course, you may get important roles in various industrial segments. You may also go on to pursue PharmD and other PhD level courses after MPharm.
Various research activities are also being conducted on a daily basis in fields related to pharmacy in top pharmaceutical research institutes in india such as NIPER, ICT, DIPSAR, etc.
Ques. Which is the best specialization for M.Pharm?
Ques. What are the best career opportunities after M.Pharm?
Ques. How do I apply for M.Pharm without appearing for GPAT?
Ques. What are the best jobs after M.Pharm?
Ques. What is the scope of M.Pharm in India?
Ques. What is the salary in the research field after completion of M.Pharm?
Ques. What is the cut-off for GPAT?
Ques. Which is the best government college in India for M.Pharm?
Ques. How much salary can I expect after M.Pharm?
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for M.Pharm?
Ques. Is there any delay in the admission process due to COVID-19?