MPT Sports-Physiotherapy is a full-time 2 years course in the field of sports. This course is aimed at helping people with movement-related disorders, injuries, athletics-related issues by helping them recover from injuries, providing training and resources to prevent problems.
Know More About Physiotherapy Course
Applicants were expected to pass a B.P.T. degree with a minimum of 55% marks from the recognized university board and entrance tests conducted by the institutes at that time.
Admissions to this course are offered through both merit based and Entrance Examination based. Few colleges also conduct personal interview rounds after the entrance exam.
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy is concerned with subjects like Sports Biomechanics, Sports Psychology, Core Science, English Language and Communication Skills, etc.
Top colleges to pursue MPT Sports-Physiotherapy are Dr. D Y Patil University, Guru Nanak Dev University, Punjabi University, etc. The average course fee in India is between INR 40,000 and 2 lacs for the total duration.
Popular employment areas for such sports physiotherapists include health areas such as hospitals, private or sports clinics, special schools, community centers, nursing homes, etc.
They can become sports coaches for sports teams and guide players to follow healthy routines to increase productivity.
Most employed areas after completion are Health and wellness centers, hospitals and private practice, clinics and rehabilitation centers. The average annual salary offered to such professionals in India is between INR 2 and 4 lacs.
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Course Highlights
Some of the course's main highlights are listed below:
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation completed from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Based on the performance in the entrance exam and/or round of Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 40,000 - 2 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 - 4 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Cricket, Hockey, Kho-Kho teams of local, regional, state, and national levels, sports academies, hospitals, physiotherapy centers like Max Hospital, Fortis, Apollo, AIIMS, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Health and wellness centers, hospitals and private practice, clinics and rehabilitation centers, special schools, international corporations, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Sports Physiotherapists, Osteopath, Chiropractor, Private practitioner, Researcher, etc.|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Eligibility Criteria?
- Applicants wishing to apply for a course must meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy/B.Sc. Completion from a recognized university in the relevant discipline
- A minimum aggregate score of 55 percent (45 percent for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at graduation level.
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Admission Process
Admissions in MPT courses are also done through both merit and entrance exams.
Candidates who are willing to get admission in this stream can apply to MPT Sports-Physiotherapy colleges by both offline and online means.
- You can either visit the official website of the institute or to physically visit the admission office to fill the admission form.
- Fill the application form and upload all the required documents in prescribed format.
- Institutes released a merit list, eligible candidates can appear for counselling and personal interview round to get your desired college.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
Entrance examinations are an important aspect of the admission process in any Master of Physiotherapy in Sports.
- The Common Entrance Test (CET) is the most popular entrance test conducted for admission to the course in India.
- Candidates need to have completed their BPT with a relevant subject along with 50% marks to get eligible.
- Few colleges also give admission on merit basis, after considering the CGPA or Percentage obtained in graduation.
- Entrance Exam procedure is followed by Registration, Preparation, Examination, Result, Counselling, Allotment.
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Entrance Exams
Some of the top entrance exams with their important dates are listed in the table below:
|Exam Name||Registration Date||Exam Date||Mode of Exam|
|All India Postgraduate Physiotherapy Entrance Test Dr. DY Patil||TBA||July 2021||Offline|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Divide your schedule: Divide your schedule to all the subjects equally. Try to complete the syllabus before deadline.
- Collect Limited Resources: Candidates must collect the relevant and trust worthy resources to study. Make sure it covers the whole syllabus.
- Revision is the Key: Candidates should keep the time for revision. The best way is to revise for regular intervals. Make short notes for the last minute preparation.
Why should you do MPT Sports-Physiotherapy?
- Applicants can work in government and private dental institutions, hospitals, polyclinics, multi-specialty clinics, private practice, defense services, and health panels of different companies.
- It is beneficial for health and special services that use medical and scientific knowledge to prevent, recognize, manage and rehabilitate sports-related injuries, exercises, or injuries.
- The course is also useful for further studies, such as PhD, etc.
- They can play a central role in organizing, planning, and scheduling health services and contribute to the long-term and strategic planning of their organizations.
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Course Advantages
- MPT Sports-Physiotherapy is a specialization in the management and prevention of injuries related to sport. The Master's degree in Physiotherapy provides advanced knowledge in the field of specialization that leads to the development of competence and skills.
- Physiotherapy's goal is to stabilize and completely rehabilitate the post-injury athlete, avoid further injury, and return the athlete to the sport as soon as possible. It is one of the most popular courses in modern medical education.
- The course was designed to equip eligible candidates with adequate skills and advanced learning in:
- Methods and exercises that can help to relieve such physical pain.
- The causes and treatment of such over-exercise.
- Activities and schemes that drain or boost strength.
- Factor factors, precautions, and healthy eating in the health of an athlete.
- Use therapy and massage techniques to soothe and relax athletes.
- Safe athlete participation in sport.
- Motivation techniques to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Importance of activity to improve and maintain quality of life.
- Maximize the productivity of athletes without affecting their health, physical, and well-being.
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Course Comparison
All these degrees may sound similar. But these are different courses. Know the difference between MPT in Sports Physiotherapy and MPT in Cardiorespiratory
|Course||MPT in Sports-Physiotherapy||MPT in Cardiorespiratory|
|Full form||Master of Physiotherapy in Sports-Physiotherapy||Master of Physiotherapy in Cardiorespiratory|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Overview||Physiotherapy is a wide field of medicine and health care aimed at helping people with movement-related disorders improve their health.||This course teaches students how to treat patients with respiratory problems, airway clearance, cardio-thoracic surgery, secretion removal, and other chest compilation surgery using independent and manual chest PT techniques.|
|Eligibility||Applicants were expected to pass a B.P.T. degree with a minimum of 55 percent marks from the recognized university board.||Applicants were expected to pass a B.P.T. degree with a minimum of 50 percent marks from the recognized university board.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by an interview||Entrance exam followed by an interview|
|Average tuition fee||INR 40,000-2,00,000||INR 20,000 - 2,00,000|
|Job Positions||General Physiotherapist, Chiropractor, Consultant Doctor, Fitness Trainer, Health Educator, Injury Consultant.||Respiratory Therapist, Product Manager, Therapy Manager, Medical Representative.|
|Top recruiting areas||Sports teams, academic roles, research, health and fitness centers, etc.||Medical colleges, Military Services, Government hospitals, Private clinics, and hospital management, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 - 4,00,000||INR 2,00,000- 20,00,000|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Top Colleges
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering a course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each of them:
|Name of Institute||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar University - Mullana Campus||47,000|
|Dr. D Y Patil University||1,85,000|
|Cherraan’s College of Physiotherapy||56,000|
|Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth||14,300|
|Lovely Professional University||1,09,000|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: College Comparison
Below is a college comparison of the top colleges offering M.P.T in Sports-Physiotherapy program in terms of several parameters, such as average fee, NIRF Ranking 2020, college overview, admission process, top recruiter, and many others:
|Parameter||Manipal University||Jamia Hamdard University||Guru Nanak Dev University|
|Overview||Manipal University is one of India's most renowned universities, with a large international clout. For the past five years, the university has been ranked among India's top 35 universities.||Jamia Hamdard University was established in 1906 by Hakeem Hafiz Abdul Majeed.||Guru Nanak Dev University has been declared a potential for excellence by the University Grants Commission [UGC].|
|Admission Process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Annual fees||INR 3,47,000||INR 1,66,500||INR 96,500|
|Average Annual salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 4,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||BPL Medical, Cerner Healthcare, Goldman Sachs, TCS, Wipro, GE Healthcare, M&M, etc.||Fortis Hospital, Cipla, Global Healthcare Pvt.Ltd, Astra Zeneca Ltd, Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd, Lupin Ltd., etc.||Decathlon Sports India, Ranbaxy, ITC Foods, Azim Premji Foundation, Nestle, Cognizant, etc.|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Tips to get Best College
- Candidates who would like to be admitted to MPT Sports-Physiotherapy. The best college or university for a Master of Physiotherapy in Sports should cleverly plan their schedule and prepare to complete the entrance exam.
- A good entrance test training is always a bonus.
- After receiving notice of the application's completion, you can begin studying immediately to improve your chances of passing the entrance exam.
- Both the interviewer and the current affairs applicant can read the newspaper every day and keep up with current events around the world.
- Please refer to the Past Years Question Papers.
Read More: M.P.T Sports_physiotherapy in Tamil Nadu
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Syllabus
The semester-wise breakup of the course syllabus is shown below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Research Methodology and Biostatistics||Clinical/Journal Club I|
|English Language and Communication Skills||Sports Biomechanics|
|Review of Core Science||Sports Psychology|
|Physical and Functional Diagnosis of Sports Injuries||Sports Physiotherapy I|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Clinical/Journal Club II||Dissertation I|
|Exercise Physiology and Nutrition||Management and Ethics in Physiotherapy|
|Athletic Training and Emergency Management||Sports Physiotherapy II|
|Clinical/Journal Club III||Clinical/Journal Club IV|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Recommended Books
Some reference books that will help to understand the concepts and theories of Master of Physiotherapy in Sports:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Exercise Physiology||Mc Ardle, Katch & Katch|
|Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques||Carolyn Kisner and
Lynn Allen Colby
|Basic biomechanics of the musculoskeletal system||Margareta Nordin and
Victor H. Frankle,
|Rehabilitation Research: Principles and Applications||Elizabeth Domholdt|
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: Job Prospects
Upon successful completion of the course, such graduates generally become sports physiotherapists. Other career options, however, include:
|General Physiotherapist||Chiropractor||Health Educator|
|Osteopath||Consultant Doctor||Injury Consultant|
|Occupational Therapist||Fitness Trainer||-|
Some of the popular professional opportunities open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below, with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Sports Physiotherapist||2-3 lacs|
|Health Educator||3 lacs|
|Fitness Trainer||3-4 lacs|
|Occupational Therapists||4-5 lacs|
Future scope after MPT Sports-Physiotherapy
It provides a basis for further studies, such as Ph.D., etc.
- Job opportunities are available in government and private dental institutions, hospital attachments, polyclinics, private practice, defense services, and health panels of different companies.
- Some of the employment areas are Research & Medical Colleges, Govt. Hospitals, Defense Services, Sports, Administrative Jobs (hospitals), Medical Equipments Marketing Companies
MPT Sports-Physiotherapy: FAQs
Ques. What kind of specialties are available in the M.P.T?
Ans. The Specialties are available in the M.P.T in disciplines such as Musculoskeletal, Sports, Neurology, Cardiopulmonary.
Ques. What are the future scopes for the course M.P.T. in Sports-Physiotherapy?
Ans. M.P.T. in Sports-Physiotherapy provides a basis for further studies, such as Ph.D., etc. Job opportunities are available in government and private dental institutions, hospital attachments, polyclinics, private practice, defense services, and health panels of different companies.
Ques. Is M.P.T. in Sports-Physiotherapy a good career?
Ans. Yes, you can consider your career in sports physiotherapy. Sports physiotherapists help athletes recover from sports injuries by offering support and services to reduce complications. Typically, every sports physiotherapist has a sport-specific experience that treats acute, chronic, and overuse injuries.
Ques. What is the scope of Research in Physiotherapy?
Ans. A physiotherapist may perform research to develop new methods and recovery protocols for a variety of health conditions. As physiotherapy is an upcoming field, stronger roots of the profession can develop only if an evidence-based practice is incorporated into clinical practice.
Ques. How about working as a physiotherapist outside of India?
Ans. Physiotherapy is a very promising, rewarding, and satisfying profession abroad, as paramedics have a greater role and responsibility in the hospital scenario. Once the licensing review of the country has been cleared, it opens up a wide range of opportunities for physiotherapists.