MSc Dairy Technology is a 2-years duration course that covers production, processing, preservation, packaging, labelling, and quality management.
The basic eligibility criteria for MSc Dairy Technology is graduation in BSc Dairy Technology or other equivalent courses with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks. MSc Dairy Technology admissions are granted on the basis of a candidate's graduation merit, however, appearing in the entrance exams is also a prerequisite in few of the colleges. The average annual fees for MSc Dairy Technology ranges from INR 20,000 to INR 30,000.
Read More: Top MSc Dairy Technology Colleges in India
The average annual salary after MSc Dairy Technology ranges from INR 3.90 LPA to INR 8 LPA. The most common employment areas are Dairy Firms,Food Processing Companies, Food Research Laboratories, Quality Control Organization. Most preferred job profiles include Dairy Manager, Dairy Technologist, Biochemist, Organic Chemist etc.
MSc Dairy Technology: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Master of Science in Dairy Technology|
|Course Type||Full Time and Correspondence Course|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in Graduation and 10+2 in Science stream|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance based|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 - INR 30,000 PA|
|Average Salary||INR 6 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Amul,Mother Dairy,MTR Foods Limited,PepsiCo India,Dabur Ltd, Hindustan Unilever,ITc Ltd,Agro Tech Foods, Nestle India Pvt Ltd.|
|Job Profile||Dairy Manager,Dairy Technologist,Consultant,Quality Analyst, Nutritionist, Dairy Production Engineer.|
What is the MSc Dairy Technology Admission Process?
For MSc Dairy Technology, aspirants need to qualify the entrance exam followed by counselling rounds.
- The admission to MSc Dairy Technology is mostly carried out through the entrance examination or merit basis.
- Candidates can avail the application form facility online/ offline as prescribed by the institute.
- GATE score is accepted by most institutes for the selection process. Candidates can also sit for the common entrance tests conducted by the individual institutes like TANCET, WBJEE, BCECE, ICAR AIEEA.
- The institutes will release their cut offs and merit lists are prepared. Shortlisted candidates will then be called for the document verification and counselling process.
Check: MSc Admission 2021
MSc Dairy Technology: Eligibility Criteria
The minimum eligibility criteria for MSc Dairy Technology is given below:
- Candidates should complete their Bachelor's degree from a recognized institute with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- Candidates must also have completed their 10+2 in science stream. Candidates who pursued their undergraduate degrees in Dairy Technology, Food Technology, Food Science, Food Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemistry etc will be given preference.
- Appearing and qualifying the entrance exams is also mandatory for admissions to some institutes.
MSc Dairy Technology: Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Application Form Last Date||Exam Date|
|GATE||October 12, 2020||February 6-7, 2021,February 13-14, 2021|
|WBJEE||Last week of February 2021||July 11, 2021|
|BCECE||4th week of March 2021||4th week of April 2021|
|ICAR AIEEA||April 2021||First week of June 2021|
Know More: MSc Entrance Exams in India
MSc Dairy Technology: Tips to Clear Entrance Exams
In order to qualify the entrance exams for MSc Dairy Technology, candidates must prepare themselves beforehand. Given below are some of the useful tips to prepare for these exam :
- Aspirants must be aware of the exam pattern and the syllabus of these entrance exams.
- Practice daily on Quantitative Ability which includes basic arithmetic like Fraction, Rate of Interest, Ratio & Proportion and Distance.
- English Comprehension and Communication Ability can be covered through a few chapters like Synonym, Antonym, Words with Corresponding Meaning ,One Word Substitute, Spelling.
- Analytical and Logical Ability can be covered by practising a few test papers of Aptitude and General Intelligence.
- Candidates should make a scheduled timetable and practice mock test papers within the given time of the exam which is 3 hours.
- Last five year question paper can be solved for better preparation.
- Make it a habit to read newspapers and information related to the latest technology related to Dairy Technology.
Read More: GATE 2021: Preparation Tips, Practice Papers
MSc Dairy Technology: What is it About?
MSc Dairy Technology is one of the specialized degrees in the Master in Science Programme. Extensive research goes behind the manufacturing of dairy products and byproducts.
- MSc Dairy Technology is an ideal course for students who are more inclined towards the technological aspect of FMCG industries.
- It is a two year postgraduate programme with four semesters and an average course fee of 1 Lakh in India.
- The course covers Rheology, Quality Control, Waste Management, Renewability, Plant Designing, Bioprocess and Fermentation Technology, Technology of Byproducts of Milk, etc.
- From technological aspects, this course also teaches about Intellectual Property Rights, Patenting and Trademarking of Designs, Packaging, and Labelling.
- MSc graduates join companies or firms as a Consultant, Dairy Technologist, Production Manager, Lab Technician, Organic Chemist, Research Scientist, Quality Control ,Food Inspector. The top recruiting companies are Amul, Mother Dairy, Nestle, Cadbury, Red Cow, ITC Ltd, Hindustan Unilever, Emami Ltd, Dabur India Ltd, and Parle Agro, along with other governmental organizations.
- The starting salary for MSc Dairy Technology graduate ranges from INR 3,50,000 to INR 7,00,000 LPA.
- Dairy Industries are not the only limited options students can join Biotechnology, Bioinformatics Companies, Water Conservation Plant, Research Institutes and Pharmaceutical Industry.
- After MSc in Dairy Technology candidate, may go for PhD in the field with specialization in the areas such as Advances in Dairy Biotechnology, Biochemistry of Milk, Bacteriology, Renewable Energy for Food Processing, Cold Chamber Management, Lipid Chemistry, Separation techniques in Food Processing.
MSc Dairy Technology: Course Advantages
MSc Dairy Technology course offers diversity inside and outside the Dairy Industry and Hospitality World which can be the reason for opting MSc.
- MSc Dairy Technology has a lot of job prospects outside India as an Economic Analyst, and Personal Nutritionist.
- Candidates who want to continue academics, there is also a provision for research in India or Abroad.
- The graduates can work both in Private Companies as well as Government Organizations. FMCGs are a major portion for employment.
- The pay package will depend upon the country as well as year of experience.
- Master of Dairy Technology is the most sought after course for the candidate who has an interest in Food Science with an innovative mind.
MSc Dairy Technology: Course Comparison
MSc Dairy Technology and MSc Food Technology are the two popular Masters of Science courses related to food. The comparison through different parameters is mentioned below:
|Parameters||MSc in Food Technology||MSc in Dairy Technology|
|Name of the Course||Master of Science in Food Technology||Master of Science in Dairy Technology|
|Overview||MSc Food Technology is a two year course, focusing mainly on Nutrition, Quality Control, Manufacturing, Packaging and Processing.||MSc Dairy Technology is a 2 year long programme with subjects such as Biochemistry, Bacteriology, Nutrition.|
|Admission Procedure||The admission is mainly done by the score in the entrance examination like GATE and Common Entrance Test||The admission is carried out by following the entrance examination such as GATE, CET,TANCET or rounds of interview.|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 - INR 3,00,000||INR 5,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Eligibility||Any student who has completed Bachelor of Food Technology or BTech with minimum 50%from a recognized university.||Student with BSc/ BTech 50% criteria from any recognized university.|
|Job Profile||Food Technologist, Production Manager, Biochemist,Quality Control ,Food Inspector.||Dairy Technologist, Dairy Manager,Quality Control, Marketing Manager, Export Manager,Area Sales Manager,Business Analyst.|
|Average Annual salary||INR 3 LPA – INR 6 LPA||INR 3 LPA - INR 12 LPA|
MSc Dairy Technology: Top Colleges
|Name of College/ University||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|National Dairy Research Institute - NDRI||INR 66,000||INR 6 LPA|
|Central University of Punjab||INR 5,040||INR 5 LPA|
|Anna University||INR 49,000||INR 5 LPA|
|Amity University||INR 69,000||INR 6 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University||INR 75,000||INR 5 LPA|
|Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture Technology and Sciences||INR 30,000||INR 7 LPA|
Know More: MSc Dairy Technology Top Colleges
MSc Dairy Technology: College Comparison
|Parameters||National Dairy Research Institute||Central University Of Punjab|
|Overview||One of the best colleges in India for Dairy Technology. NDRI was established in 1923.This university is AICTE,UGC,NAAC affiliated.||CUP , Bathinda was established in 2009. It conducts their own entrance examination for PG Courses.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% - 60% in Bachelors degree in Dairy Technology/ Food Technology||Graduate in Bachelors degree in Dairy Technology/ Food Science/ Engineering/ Technology from a recognized university|
|Admission process||Personal Interview and GATE Score||Entrance exam (CUCET/ GATE)followed by personal interview|
|Average Fee||INR 66,000||INR 5,040|
|Average Salary||INR 5 LPA||INR 5.20 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||ITC Ltd,Agro Tech Foods,Nestle India Pvt. Ltd, Cadbury India Ltd.||Coca-Cola India Ltd, Amul,Parle Agro ,Britannia Industries Ltd.|
MSc Dairy Technology: Syllabus
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Advanced Dairy Microbiology||Starter Culture and Fermented Milk Products|
|Advanced Packaging||Dairy Safety and Quality Management|
|Physical Chemistry of Milk||Rheology and Texture Analysis|
|Instrumentation and Process Control||International Food Legislations and Standards|
|Dairy Toxicology||Lipid Chemistry and Technology|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Milk Production Management||Computer Applications in Dairy Industry|
|Cheese Technology||Dairy Development|
|Dairy Process Engineering||Dairy Plant Management and Pollution Control|
|Renewable Energy in Food Processing||Agrochemicals and Residues in Dairy|
|Industrial Training + Project Report||Project Dissertation|
MSc Dairy Technology: Job Prospects
MSc Dairy Technology being a very dynamic course, the career opportunities are huge. Professionals in this field can shift from Food Manufacturing Plant, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Research and Development Labs, Restaurants and Hospitals. Creative individuals with good technical skills can make a lucrative amount from these jobs. Here are few of the job profiles of MSc Dairy Technology Graduates:
|Job Title||Average Salary|
|Dairy Technologist||INR 4.80 LPA|
|Biochemist||INR 4.50 LPA|
|Dairy Inspector||INR 3.60 LPA|
|Organic Chemist||INR 4 LPA|
|Lab Technician||INR 3 LPA|
|Production Manager||INR 7 PA|
|Dairy Manager||INR 7.40 LPA|
MSc Dairy Technology: Future Scope
MSc Dairy Technology is one of the best paying fields where a qualified, experienced senior in the industry can earn upto INR 10,00,000 per annum after a few years of experience. Below mentioned are the future prospects that the students of MSc Dairy Technology can opt for:
- MSc Dairy Technology graduates can work in both private and corporate sectors.
- Candidates can also opt for Ph.D courses in various fields of agriculture as well.
- Dairy Product Development Director and Milk Commissioner are some of the Senior Positions which a candidate can aim to achieve.
Know More: PhD Courses in India
MSc Dairy Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is a Master of Dairy Technology?
Ques. Are there good job prospects for dairy technology?
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for Master of dairy technology?
Ques. What is the impact of Covid-19 in the admission process of MSc Dairy Technology?
Ques. What are the top recruiting companies for the candidate completing a Master in Dairy Technology?
Ques. Is GATE mandatory for MSc in Dairy Technology? What is the average annual salary of a MSc in Dairy Technology as a fresher?
Ques. Where can a candidate pursue MSc in Dairy Technology? What are academic options after MSc in Dairy Technology?