MSc Data Analytics is a postgraduate program the duration of which is 2 year. This course basically focuses on handling and analyzing data and transferring it as per the need of the individual. This program also focuses on Information Technology and deals with various important principles of Data Analytics.
Know More About Data Analytics Course
After completion of this course, the students become an expert in handling large amounts of data. The students who wish to pursue this course must have really good managerial, analytical and logical skills.
In order to stand eligible for the MSc in Data Analytics course, the students must hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant course from a recognized university. Admission is done strictly on the basis of the performance of the candidates in the entrance test and personal interview.
MSc Data Analytics is taught in a number of renowned colleges and universities of India. Some of the top colleges offering MSc Data Analytics program are provided in the table given below:
|Collegedunia Rating 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|9.3||Christ University, Bangalore||Entrance test||INR 2,04,000||INR 6,85,000|
|7.7||ICFAI Foundation For Higher Education, Hyderabad||Entrance test||INR 3,12,000||INR 6,90,000|
|7.2||NIMS University, Jaipur||Entrance test||INR 50,000||INR 3,50,000|
|7.1||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||Entrance test||INR 1,00,000||INR 5,69,000|
|7.1||Shoolini University, Solan||Entrance test||INR 2,16,000||INR 3,00,000|
The average tuition fee of MSc Data Analytics course ranges between INR 4,100 and INR 3,00,000.
The career options for this course include employment in various sectors like Research Laboratories, Colleges, Universities, Government Offices and other Multinational Companies.
The average annual salary earned by the MSc Data Analytics candidates ranges between INR 2,00,000 and INR 8,00,000. Common job profiles include Data Analyst, Data Architect, Data Scientist, Algorithm Engineer etc.
On completion of this course, students can also opt for further studies and pursue PhD and DSc degree courses in the related discipline.
MSc Data Analytics Admission Process
- Admission to the MSc Data Analytics course is done on the basis of the score acquired by the candidate in the entrance test and his/her performance in the personal interview.
- Admission forms are mostly released by the end of July. The candidates can apply for the course in both online as well as offline mode.
- Only if you fulfil all the admission requirements, you will be allowed to take admission to a college of your choice.
Here, we have mentioned some of the basic steps of the admission process:
Entrance Based Admission
- Candidates need to register on the official website by providing their email id, mobile number, and password.
- Fill the online application form.
- On the given exam date, candidates will have to appear for the entrance exam.
- Results will be announced based on the marks obtained by the students and institutes cut off, seats and academic records of the candidate. Afterwards, seats are allocated.
- Candidates who have appeared and qualified National level entrance exams are exempted from university-level exams, but they have to appear for a personal interview round.
MSc Data Analytics Eligibility Criteria
Being eligible for a particular course is the primary criteria for admission to a particular college. The minimum eligibility criteria for the MSc Data Analytics course have been listed below:
- A candidate must complete his bachelor degree in a relevant course from a recognized university.
- The candidates must have a certain minimum percentage of marks in their graduation.
- The students will have to clear the cut-off for the entrance test. The cut-off may vary each year depending on several factors.
- The candidates will also have to perform well in the personal interview which might take place after the entrance test.
MSc Data Analytics Entrance Exams
The MSc Data Analytics admissions are done based on the performance of the candidates in the entrance exam. The admission tests are mostly held in the month of July. However, most examinations for the current year have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Here are some of the most popular entrance tests for the MSc Data Analytics candidates:
- CUET 2021: CUET is the entrance test conducted by Christ University for admission to the various UG and PG courses offered by the University.
- NIMSEE 2021: NIMS University conducts an entrance test every year for admission purposes. Hundreds of candidates sit for the test. It is a national level test and is held in offline mode.
- CUCET 2020: CUCET is the entrance test for admission to the undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by the various central universities of the country.
- IPU CET 2020: The MSc students who wish to become a part of the colleges under GGSIPU will have to appear for IPU CET. Click here to download IPU CET Practice Papers.
- JNUEE 2020: Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination is conducted every year to offer admission to the candidates of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Important details related to some of the popular MSc Data Analytics Entrance Exams are given in the table below.
|Entrance Test||Mode of Examination||Duration||Availability of Application||Date of Examination|
|CUET 2020||Online||2 hours||December 2020||April 2021|
|NIMSEE 2021||Offline||2 hours||April 2021||June 2021|
|CUCET 2020||Offline||2 hours||March 16 - June 06, 2020||To be announced|
|IPU CET 2020||Online||2 hours 30 minutes||March 03 - August 11, 2020||To be announced|
|JNUEE 2020||Online||3 hours||March 02 - June 30, 2020||To be announced|
How to prepare for the MSc Data Analytics entrance test?
If you wish to clear the cut-off of the entrance test, then you must be really well-prepared. So, here are a few really important tips for you:
- If you want to acquire a really good score in the entrance test, you must be fully aware of the latest pattern of the examination. You can get to know all about the examination pattern from the official website of the university.
- You must also know the complete syllabus of that particular examination and prepare for it accordingly. You can download the detailed syllabus from the official website itself.
- If the questions asked in the examination is of MCQ type then you need to practise different types of MCQs. Mark an answer only if you are absolutely certain. Try to avoid guessing as much as possible especially if there is negative marking.
- Try to read the newspaper on a regular basis as you might have to face a few general questions on current affairs. Reading the newspaper regularly will keep you updated. You will also have an idea on the latest technologies that are currently trending.
- You can sit for mock tests. You can also practise questions from sample papers and previous year’s question papers. Mentioned below are a few links to the previous year’s question papers and the sample papers.
- Know that the best way to secure a very good rank in the entrance test is to maintain consistency. You must devote some time for your preparations every single day. In that way, you won’t feel burdened and you will also be very well prepared.
- Revise all the important topics properly. Refrain from learning new concepts the day before the examination. This might confuse you and lower your confidence level. Go through the topics that you are already prepared with.
How to get admission in a top MSc Data Analytics college?
If you wish to get admitted to a top-notch MSc Data Analytics college in India, then you really need to work very hard. Given below are a few important guidelines that you must follow to get admitted to one of the top colleges or universities of the country.
- You need to have a really good percentage in your graduation. Most colleges consider the graduation percentage as an eligibility criteria. Make sure you have at least 50% overall score in your graduation.
- Prepare well for the entrance examination.
- Start preparing for the entrance test at least a year before the date of the examination. This will definitely increase your chances of performing well in the examination and will also increase your confidence level.
- There are a number of colleges in India which conduct an interview after the entrance test. So, you must be prepared for the interview as well.
- You must also find out whether the college where you wish to get admitted to is good enough for you or not. Check out the course curriculum offered by the college. Also, get to know about the type of faculties employed by the institution.
- Get an idea about the placement scenario of that particular college or University. This is a very important factor in determining whether your college is up to the mark or not.
MSc Data Analytics: What is it about?
Data Analytics is one such course which has become widely popular in recent times. Let us see what this discipline is all about.
- MSc Data Analytics has a very broad spectrum and provides a wide number of opportunities to the students.
- Throughout the duration of the MSc Analytics course, the students will get to know how to store and handle large volumes of data and retrieve them as and when required.
- This course also deals with the various security measures that are required to protect the data from unauthorized access.
- The course will help the students to develop analytical, logical and managerial skills. They will also get to learn about the analytics for data handling and the different important values of business intelligence.
- The MSc in Data Analytics course also involves transfer of data between systems. It makes sure that the data is transferred from one system to another in a highly secured and protected way.
MSc Data Analytics Course Highlights
The major highlights of the MSc Data Analytics course are provided in the table given below:
|Full Form||Master of Science in Data Analytics|
|Eligibility||Undergraduate degree in any relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance test and Personal interview|
|Course Fee||INR 4,100 to INR 3,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Professor, Teacher, Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Algorithm Engineer, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Educational Institutes, Government Offices, Research Laboratories, MNCs etc.|
Why Study MSc Data Analytics?
MSc in Data Analytics course has a lot of career opportunities to offer to the students. Here we have listed for you a few reasons regarding why you should opt for an MSc in Data Analytics course.
- The Data Analytics course has an analytical and logical approach. It focuses on the storage and retrieval of large chunks of data and the different ways by which data can be transferred in a secured way.
- After completing the course, the students acquire jobs in both government as well as reputed private sectors.
- The course also has a lot of prospects abroad. You may also pursue a Ph.D. in this course if you wish to remain in the academic field.
- Some of the top sectors which offer jobs to the MSc Data Analytics students are educational centres, multinational companies, research labs, banks and government offices.
- The students may work as a Professor, Data Scientist, Data Analyst or an Algorithm Engineer. They may also work as Research Scientists at research labs of the country.
- The average salary earned by the MSc Data Analytics students ranges between INR 2,00,000 and INR 8,00,000 per annum.
- The salary will completely depend on the knowledge and the experience of the candidates in the field of Data Analytics.
MSc in Data Analytics and MSc in Data Science are two very similar courses. So, here we have given an in-depth comparison of the MSc in Data Analytics and MSc in Data Science course.
Check complete list of Top MSc Data Science Colleges in India here.
MSc Data Analytics vs MSc Data Science
MSc Data Analytics and MSc Data Science are almost similar courses except for a few differences. The below comparison is given keeping in mind all the important parameters of differences.
|Parameters||MSc in Data Analytics||MSc in Data Science|
|Qualification||Master of Science in Data Analytics||Master of Science in Data Science|
|Course Overview||MSc Data Analytics focuses on different ways by which you will be able to store and handle data in a secured and organized way. It has a logical and analytical approach.||MSc Data Science deals with disciplines like Statistics, Calculus, Programming, etc. It is the most popular course in data specialization and has various real-world implications.|
|Eligibility||Undergraduate degree in any discipline||Undergraduate degree is Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Science|
|Admission Process||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 41,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to INR 4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000||INR 4,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Colleges||St. Xavier's College, Central University of Rajasthan, Jain University, ICFAI Tech School||Christ University, Bangalore, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, Manipal University|
|Recruitment sectors||Educational institutes, banks, research organizations, government offices.||Market research companies, tech companies, consultancies, energy sectors, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Algorithm Engineer, Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Research Scientist, etc.||Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, Data Analyst, Data Mining Engineer, etc.|
Source: College Websites
Top Colleges for MSc Data Analytics
MSc Data Analytics is taught in various top colleges and universities in India. Here, we have mentioned some of the most popular MSc Data Analytics Colleges of India:
|Collegedunia Rating 2020||College Name||City||Average Annual Fee||Average Annual Salary|
|9.3||Christ University||Bangalore||INR 2,04,000||INR 6,85,000|
|7.7||ICFAI Foundation For Higher Education||Hyderabad||INR 3,12,000||INR 6,90,000|
|7.2||NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 50,000||INR 3,50,000|
|7.1||Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 1,00,000||INR 5,69,000|
|7.1||Shoolini University||Solan||INR 2,16,000||INR 3,00,000|
|6.5||Bharathiar University||Coimbatore||INR 38,500||INR 5,00,000|
|6.5||JK Lakshmipat University||Jaipur||INR 7,00,000||INR 5,00,000|
|5.1||Marwadi University||Rajkot||INR 1,26,000||INR 2,75,000|
|4.6||PSGR Krishnammal College for Women||Coimbatore||INR 4,500||INR 3,00,000|
|__||IIHMR University||Jaipur||INR 4,80,000||INR 5,52,000|
College Comparison for MSc Data Analytics
Before taking admission to an MSc Data Analytics college, you must know which college is best for you. Here, we have compared 3 top MSc Data Analytics colleges in India:
|College Name||Christ University, Bangalore||ICFAI Foundation For Higher Education, Hyderabad||NIMS University, Jaipur|
|Overview||Christ University is one of the top-ranked private universities of the country. The University offers a huge range of UG, PG and Doctorate courses to the students.||ICFAI is a Deemed-to-be-University which was established in the year 2008. The university is quite popular for its excellent course curriculum.||NIMS University is regarded as the best private university of Jaipur. It was established in 2008 and is an AICTE approved institute.|
|Collegedunia Rating 2020||9.3||7.7||7.2|
|Average Annual Tuition Fees||INR 2,04,000||INR 3,12,000||INR 50,000|
|Admission||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 6,85,000||INR 6,90,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Top Recruiting Company||Amazon, Flipkart, Facebook, Oracle, Samsung||Cognizant, Wipro, IBM, Infosys, Deloitte||Adobe, Cisco, Dell, IDBI Bank, Vivo|
Source: College Websites
MSc Data Analytics Syllabus
The MSc Data Analytics students will have to study a number of subjects in the entire duration of the course. The semester-wise syllabus of this course is provided in the table given below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Statistical Methods for Data Analysis||Predictive Analytics|
|Java Programming||Data Mining|
|Optimization and Heuristics||Text Analytics|
|Topics in Analytics in R||Topics in Analytics with Python|
|Databases and Information Retrieval||Social Network Analysis|
|Programming Lab Courses/ Project Courses - I||Programming Lab Courses/ Project Courses - II|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Analytics for Big Data||Internship program in Data Analytics.|
|Elective I, II, III|
Important Books for MSc Data Analytics course
If you want really good grades in your MSc Data Analytics course, you must know which books you must read. Here is a list of some of the most important books for the MSc Data Analytics course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Data Analytics Made Accessible||A. Maheshwari|
|Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie or Die||E. Siegel|
|Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster||A.Croll and B.Yoskovitz|
MSc Data Analytics Job Prospects and Career Options
This course provides students numerous career paths. Data Analytics students mainly specialize in analyzing raw data in various business concerns. The main focus of the course is to prepare the students in the field of data storage and analytics.
- On completion of this course, students may look for employment in government offices as well as in private organizations.
- For the government sector, candidates may have to sit for an additional exam. Some of the common areas of recruitment for the MSc Data Analytics students are colleges, universities, MNCs, banks, etc.
- Few of the top recruiters for the MSc Data Analytics candidates are ICFAI Tech School, Infosys, Wipro, TCS, etc.
- The candidates may also opt for a PhD in any of the top universities of India. The research field is also open to them.
Here are some job positions available after completing a MSc (Data Analytics):
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Data Analyst||The main job responsibility of the Data Analyst is to analyze the data so that it can be used as per the requirements of the company.||INR 3,50,000|
|Data Scientist||The Data Scientists mainly conduct research activities and improve the different important functionings of a business organization.||INR 6,78,000|
|Data Engineer||The Data Engineers prepare data for analytical purposes so that the data can be easily transferred between the systems.||INR 5,68,000|
|Data Architect||Data Architects create data management systems for storing and retrieving the data.||INR 4,75,000|
|Lecturer||Lecturers impart knowledge to the students in the field of Data Analytics.||INR 6,72,000|
Source: College Websites
MSc Data Analytics Future Scope
Although Data Analytics is a relatively new discipline, yet it has excellent future scope. The students can build their career in different ways:
- The MSc Data Analytics students can take up jobs in various MNCs. Apart from that, they may also find jobs in various other sectors like banking sectors, Government offices and so on.
- Students may conduct research activities in the field of Data Analytics in various research labs. They may also open up their own independent organizations and hire officials to work under them.
- The students may also pursue an academic career. They can go for a DSc in their field. There are quite a few colleges in India that offer a master degree in Data Analytics and Data Science. Foreign universities also offer different courses in Data Analytics.
- The most common job profiles for the MSc Data Analytics students are Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Automobile Engineers and many more. The average salary would be ranging between INR 2,00,000 and INR 8,00,000.
Check the full list of top Universities offering DSc Degrees in India.
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to MSc Data Analytics course are as follows:
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria to apply for the MSc Data Analytics course?
Ans. In order to become eligible for the MSc in Data Analytics course, the candidate must complete his/her undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
Ques. How many years does it take for MSc in Data Analytics?
Ans. It will take you around 2 years to complete your MSc in Data Analytics.
Ques. What are the common job profiles for the MSc Data Analytics students?
Ans. The common job profiles are Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Research Scientist and many more.
Ques. Is it compulsory to sit for an entrance test for the MSc Data Analytics course?
Ans. It completely depends on the admission process of the university where you would like to take admission.
Ques. How much marks do I require in graduation to be eligible for the MSc Data Analytics course?
Ans. In most colleges, you would require a minimum of 50% marks in graduation.
Ques. What are the subjects that I have to learn in my MSc Data Analytics course?
Ans. The subjects that you have to study in your MSc Data Analytics course are Data Warehousing, Databases, Data Visualization.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for the MSc Data Analytics students?
Ans. The average tuition fee is between INR 4,000 and INR 3,00,000.
Ques. Name the common entrance tests for the MSc Data Analytics candidates?
Ans. Few common entrance tests include CUCET, CUET, NIMSEE, etc.
Ques. What should be my average CTC after completing my MSc Data Analytics course?
Ans. Your expected salary should be anything between INR 2,00,000 and INR 8,00,000.
Ques. Has there been any changes in the examination dates for the MSc Data Analytics candidates?
Ans. Yes, all examinations have been either cancelled or rescheduled due to COVID-19 crisis.