What is MSc Medical Lab Technology?
MSc Medical Lab Technology is a paramedical course which deals with introduction to patient care with proper diagnosis using clinical laboratory equipment to run the tests . It is a 2 year postgraduate program that includes fascinating subjects like molecular biology, human anatomy & physiology, biochemistry, haematology etc.
During the course the students are taught about various diseases, their diagnosis, treatment and ways to prevent them. The students are trained to render emphasis on how to carry the clinical tests accurately that will help the physician to make proper diagnosis.
The admissions to this course are mostly merit based and the score obtained in the various entrance exams. The admission process for some colleges is directly on the basis of results of the BSc program.
Below given is the list of top colleges offering masters course in medical lab technology in India
- AIIMS Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Puducherry
- St. Xaviers College, Mumbai
The average tuition fee of MSc in Medical lab Technology course is around INR 60,000 to 1,00,000. However the fees structure for government colleges is comparatively less than that of the private colleges.
Graduates with the masters degree in medical lab technology can find work with the job profile of laboratory manager, healthcare administrator, hospital outreach coordinator, supervisors of clinical laboratories, health and safety officer ,education consultant etc.
The candidates after obtaining a masters degree can expect a handsome amount of salary where an average amount is around INR 2,00,000 to 3,00,000 per annum.
MSc Medical Lab Technology Course Highlights
|Course Name||Masters in Medical Lab Technology|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||BSc degree with minimum of 55% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit based/ Entrance exam|
|Average Course Fee||INR 60,000- 1,00,000|
|Average Entry Level Salary||INR 2,00,000 - 5,00,000|
|Top Job Profiles||Laboratory Manager, Consultant, Healthcare Administrator,
Education Consultant, Supervisors of Clinical laboratories,
Health and Safety Officer etc.
|Top Recruiters||Hospitals, Clinics, Nursing Homes, Public Health Facilities,
Clinical Laboratories, Pathological Labs
MSc Medical Lab Technology Admission Process
Admission to this course is usually based on the score obtained by a candidate in an MSc entrance exam. Some of the major all India entrance exams conducted for this purpose are BHU PET, DUET etc. Some colleges also offer admission on merit basis. The various steps involved in the admission process are given below.
The guide for merit based MSc Medical Lab Technology is mentioned below:
- Submit the application to the colleges or universities you are interested in.
- Maintain a good score throughout your Bachelor’s degree exams.
- In due course of time, colleges release their cutoff lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Registration: Candidates have to register themselves for the entrance exams.
- Application form: Fill up the application form with all necessary details carefully.
- Submit documents: Scan and upload all required documents like mark sheets. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Application fee: A minimal application fee is to be paid online during the submission of the application form. Payment can be done by all online payment modes.
- Download admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Examination: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Results: Based on candidates performance in the entrance exam, results will be announced.
MSc Medical Lab Technology Eligibility Criteria
The candidates applying for the course should fulfill specific eligibility criteria set by various institutes, which are mentioned below:-
- The students must have a bachelor’s degree or any equivalent degree from the government recognized institute or university with a minimum aggregate of 55%
- The candidates belonging to ST/SC/OBC/differently abled quota have a relaxation of 5-10% for eligibility. Some of the colleges also provide liberty of score for the students under sports quota.
Popular MSc Medical Lab Technology Entrance Exams
In most of the colleges, the MSc Lab Technology admissions are done on the basis of the results in the entrance tests.
Some of the popular MSc Medical Lab Technology entrance exams are provided below:
- AUCET - It is a state level entrance exam which is conducted by the Andhra University for admission to UG and PG courses.
- CUCET - It is a national level entrance test. Central University Common Entrance Test (CUCET) is conducted once a year. CUCET 2021 will be organized by the 14 Central Universities of India.
The important dates pertaining to the above mentioned entrance exams are given below:
|Name of the Exam||Date of Registration||Date of Examination|
|AUCET 2021||Third Week of March, 2021||May 2021|
|CUCET 2021||Second Week of March to Third Week of April 2021||May 2021|
How to prepare for MSc Medical Lab Technology entrance exams?
If your college includes an entrance test in the admission procedure, then you must be well prepared for it. So, here we are with some interesting preparation tips for you:
- Having authorized reference and study materials - The students must give utmost importance to the selection of study materials as their source of reading. It is extremely crucial to be thorough with the syllabus and which books cover it all. To successfully crack the exam, students must work smartly and should have an art of omitting what is not important.
- Management of Time - It is one of the very important aspects to crack exams with flying colors. Management of time helps the students to finish the syllabus easily, without having the need to leave important or not so important topics for the end time to prepare. A properly framed schedule is the only way with which such vast subjects and syllabus can be finished in a definite time zone.
- Excelling the Mock Tests - The mock tests are the similar versions of how entrance exams are. Practicing the mock tests regularly help the students to examine their level of preparation, rest of the competition. Moreover, it also helps to increase the habit of thinking clearly, choosing the right options and finishing the exam on time.
- Revision is the lifeboat - To be able to score well, depends on the quality and quantity of revisions undertaken. Repeated revisions help building the concepts resulting in better understanding of subjects and retaining the information till the exam day. The students must always aim at revising what is read so far rather than completing the entire course with no revision at all.
- Stay Confident and Motivated - it is one of the important factors that will increase the chances of securing high ranks. Lack of confidence and positivity drags a well prepared students rank far behind. The students should be relaxed and hydrated on the day of the exam. Always believe in yourself and your hard work.
How to get admission in a good MSc Medical Lab Technology college?
To secure admission in any of the good colleges, the students must obtain marks above 80%-85% in the state and national level entrance exams.
Other important points to pay attention on are as follows:-
- The students must know the level of the examination, course covered, frequently asked questions, proportion of conceptual and theoretical questions, ways to avoid negative markings etc.
- Analyze your mistakes and make a habit of having more revisions to get a grip over the subjects.
- The students should be updated with the important dates and deadlines such as application & registration dates, examination dates, results etc.
- Students must be aware of the current trends of examination patterns, by keeping themselves updated with newer edition books, articles published online etc.
- Before confirming the admission in any particular college, it is important to check the reviews and ratings of the college, its faculties, mode of teaching, infrastructure, on campus placements opportunities, scholarships or any financial aid provided by the college.
MSc Medical Lab Technology Syllabus
A list of topics taught to the students pursuing MSc in Medical Lab Technology is tabulated below:
|Clinical Pathology & Haematology Immunopathology|
|General Microbiology and Immunology and Immunological Techniques|
|Bio-Medical Waste Management|
|Practical : Human Physiology|
|Clinical Pathology & Haematology|
|General microbiology & Immunology|
Top MSc Medical Lab Technology Colleges
Below given is the list of top colleges offering MSc Medical Lab Technology in India along with the average fees structure.
|College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi||INR 1,465|
|Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Paramedical Sciences, New Delhi||INR 45,000|
|NIMS School of Paramedical sciences & technologies, Jaipur||INR 1,48,000|
|MDU, Rohtak||INR 1,46,000|
|Guru Gobind Singh Medical College & Hospital, Punjab||INR 1,00,000|
MSc Medical Lab Technology College Comparison
Below given is the comparison between the top colleges offering the course in India, which will help the students to select the most appropriate college for themselves.
|Parameter||Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi||NIMS, Jaipur|
|Ownership||Government University||Self Finance College|
|College Overview||Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical college is the fastest growing paramedical institute in Delhi, which was established in 1999. It is one of the prestigious colleges of India, where the admissions are extremely competitive because of high cut off marks & merit.||NIMS, is ranked amongst top 5 colleges in India by India Today in 2016 Nielsen Survey. It was established under the NIMS University Act 2008. It is one of the few medical universities of the nation that has all the modern amenities & holds a high caliber of education. It is the first composite model self-finance university that has achieved excellence in all fields of higher education.|
|Course Level||Post Graduate/ Master’s||Post Graduate/ Masters|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 45,000- 50,000||INR 1,48,000|
|Job Profiles||Lab manager, Consultant, Healthcare Administrator, Health & Safety officer etc||Hospital Outreach Coordinator, Supervisor of Clinical Laboratories, Laboratory System Analyst etc|
|Top Recruiting Companies||BASF East Asia, Biocon, Sun Pharma||Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, Hindustan Unilever, Piramal Enterprises|
MSc Medical Lab Technology vs MSc Nursing
Both MSc Medical Lab Technology and MSc Nursing are master’s level courses in the medical field, however there are differences between these two courses.
Check top MSc Nursing Colleges here.
|Parameters||MSc Medical Lab Technology||MSc Nursing|
|Full Form||Masters in Medical Lab Technology for Medical lab technologist||Masters of science in Nursing|
|Course Overview||The course focuses on imparting theoretical and practical knowledge regarding various human body functionality, its pathophysiology and teaches about the mechanism of disease taking birth, ways of diagnosing it through various clinical lab tests.
It provides an in-depth knowledge about medical lab technology science and the methods of detecting harmful microorganisms and its exact identification for successful treatments.
|The course aims at nursing education and research that is essential and exists in Nursing. Employment opportunities for a nurse are never going to decline as the need for hospitals is increasing.
It has various branches of specialization such as ambulatory care nursing, cardiac nursing, critical care nursing, emergency nursing etc.
|Course Level||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 60,000- 1,00,000||INR 1,50,000 - 3,50,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 - 5,00,000||INR 1,80,000 - 4,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes of MSc Medical Lab Technology
Being a very popular discipline, MSc in Medical Lab Technology course has excellent future scope. The students are exposed to numerous ways in which they can build their career:
- PhD: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a PhD Medical Lab Technology. It is a three to five year duration course and the eligibility criteria include having a MSc degree in Medical Lab Technology or other related disciplines.
- MPhil - Students can also opt for a MPhil degree in a relevant field on completion of this course.
Job Prospects and Career Options after MSc Medical Lab Technology
Tabulation below shows some of the most common MSc Medical Lab Technology job profiles and career prospects after completing the course are as follows:
|Job Profiles||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Lab Technician||The role of a Lab Technician includes collecting, accurately marking and analyzing samples of blood, tissues, urine, faeces etc. and framing a proper report card of patients. Lab Technicians are the backbone of any scientific research lab.||INR 2,75,960|
|Senior Biomedical Analyst||Biomedical scientists or analysts are responsible for diagnosing illnesses such as HIV, cancer, diabetes, hepatitis, meningitis etc. The work is majorly lab based. Other tasks involved are analyzing the cultures and samples and interpreting the results.||INR 4,00,000|
|Healthcare Administrator||A healthcare administrator outlooks for everyday administrative operations of hospitals & other healthcare facilities. They are also responsible for supervising all the medical services such as monitoring budgets & updating health records.||INR 4,14,000|
|Health and Safety Officer||The job role typically involves designing health and safety strategies to ensure compliance with mandatory regulations.
Apart from that, they also carry out regular audits, outlooks any risky or unsafe behavior.
Conduct analytical reports of safety data. Inspect equipment productions to make sure they are safe.
Source: College Websites
MSc Medical Lab Technology FAQs
Ques. What is the scope of MSc MLT course?
Ans. The field being related to medicine has a much higher scope and demand in the areas like clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, commercial clinical laboratories, pathological labs etc with the job profiles as lab manager, healthcare administrator, lab technician, sample analyst etc.
Ques. What is the duration of this course?
Ans. The duration of this course is 2 years.
Ques. How much salary a student can earn on completion of a MLT course?
Ans. The average salary of a MSc Medical Lab Technology degree holder is around INR 3,00,000 to 4,50,000 per annum.
Ques. Is an MSc MLT degree holder a doctor?
Ans. MLT is a post graduate in medical lab technology. The professionals are involved in the work related to diagnosis of a disease such as collecting and analyzing various body samples in the most sterile, according to the regulations and in the most ethical way. However, the professionals are called lab technicians and not doctors.
Ques. Can I open my own lab after the completion of studies?
Ans. Yes definitely, anyone who has successfully completed the course can open the lab, provided that you are clear and register with all the required licences set by a particular state's government.
Ques. What can I pursue after MLT?
Ans. The graduates with a masters degree in medical lab technology are recruited in top medical lab technology equipment manufacturing companies and are also hired by government supported labs/ research centres such as National Virology Institutes, DRDO etc. the profession is considered highly responsible and with high respect in society.