What is MSc Occupational Therapy?
Master of Science (MSc) in Occupational Therapy is a 2 year post graduate course which deals with the specialisation of health care to solve physical, sensory and cognitive problems. Occupational therapy incorporates a purposeful profession that helps physically or mentally disabled individuals to enjoy their daily lives. Occupational Therapy is a field of science that deals with curing and rehabilitating people with physical, emotional and mental disabilities and others with disabilities.
The course curriculum is designed in a way to give proper insight to the students about health and the aspects which leads an individual towards a hassle free mental and physical well-being. Students are trained to inculcate the mass about the balanced lifestyle. Candidates with the minimum qualification of B.Sc. or Bachelor are in Occupational Therapy with minimum aggregate marks of 55% from a recognized university.
Admissions to this course are done either on the basis of merit or entrance examination followed by a counselling session. There are many colleges in India and abroad which offer the postgraduate course of MSc Occupational Therapy.
Some of the top Indian colleges among them are:
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Fees per annum||Average Placement Offer|
|SRM University||Kanchipuram||Entrance Examination||INR 1,55,000||INR 5,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|Shivalik Institute of Paramedical Technology (SIPT)||Chandigarh||Merit Based||INR 2,40,000||INR 2,00,000 - 3,00,000|
|Tamil Nadu M.G.R. Medical University||Chennai||Merit Based||INR 6,000||INR 4,00,000 - 5,00,000|
|Jamia Hamdard||Delhi||Entrance Examination||INR 1,38,000||INR 5,00,000 - 7,00,000|
|Himalayan University||Arunachal Pradesh||Entrance Examination||INR 30,000||INR 2,00,000 - 3,00,000|
Course is appropriate for the people who are willing to learn about the health and mental therapy of the students. Hence, people who are empathetic and considerate should choose this course.
The course opens various job opportunities for a candidate. They can work as occupational therapists, health care personnel in various NGOs, Nursing homes, health services and hospitals.
The average package offered to the candidates after this course ranges from INR 1,00,000 - 12,00,000. The fee structure of the course ranges from INR 6,000 to INR 2,00,000 for completion of this course.
What is the MSc Occupational Therapy Admission Process?
The admission process for MSc Occupational Therapy is different in every college. Some of the colleges accept admission on the merit basis and some of the colleges conduct their own entrance exam to test the candidates for admission.
- Some of the universities grant admission to students based on their performance at graduation level.
- The marks scored at graduation level are taken into consideration and a merit list is formed for admissions.
- While some colleges require the candidate to go through an entrance test and GD/PI may be applicable.
How to Apply for MSc Occupational Therapy?
The candidates are required to follow the below mentioned steps to register for admissions in MSc Occupational Therapy based on the entrance examinations:
- Candidates should visit the college website or portal to fill the registration form.
- The registration form has columns for details, both personal and academic which need to be filled properly.
- Documents that are required to be attached should be uploaded with the registration form.
- Download the Admit Card and appear for the entrance examination conducted by any central body or the university itself.
- After the selection of candidates on the basis of scores in entrance examination, the counselling session is held to mark the confirmed seats to the selected candidates.
What is Eligibility Criteria for MSc Occupational Therapy?
A candidate who is willing to take admission in MSc Occupational Therapy should pass the following eligibility criteria:-
- Candidates should have passed 10+2 examinations with minimum aggregate marks of 60%.
- Any candidate with Bachelor’s degree of B.Sc. and Bachelors of Occupational Therapy with a minimum aggregate score of 55% from a recognized university is eligible for this course.
- Candidates must have completed a compulsory internship of at least 6 months.
- Candidates should have passed the entrance examination for the colleges who accept candidates on the basis of entrance exams.
What are the top MSc Occupational Therapy Entrance Exams?
There are various entrance examinations for admissions in this course. Some of the institutes organise an entrance exam of the college itself and some offer admission based on the common entrance exam. Common Entrance Exams and university entrance examination which are considered for getting admission in MSc Occupational Therapy are:
- CMC Vellore Entrance Exam.
- Manipal University Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Entrance Exam.
- SVNIRTAR NIOH Common Entrance Test.
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AIIPMR) Entrance Exam.
The pattern of all the entrance examinations is the same with the OMR type. The paper consists of sections covering subject matter knowledge, aptitude based questions and reasoning questions. There is also a separate section for language evaluation. The entrance exams are pretty simple and need smart work with consistent aptitude practice to pass.
How to Prepare for MSc Occupational Therapy Entrance Exams?
Following points one should keep in mind while preparing for entrance test:
- Go through your entrance exam syllabus thoroughly and follow the time table to complete the full syllabus on time.
- You should have some background or knowledge in respective subject and strong command on subject matter
- Practice previous year question papers to keep a check on exam patterns.
- For the general aptitude test, practice more questions related to logical reasoning and aptitude.
- Strong command on the language is advisable.
How to Get Admission in Top MSc Occupational Therapy Colleges?
For getting admission in a good college for MSc Occupational Therapy, following points needs to be considered:-
- Do proper research about various colleges in the area and filter out the best as per the preference.
- Connect with alumni on social media to get a better knowledge about the fee structure and placement pattern.
- Visit the college site and follow the admission procedure regularly.
- Be fluent in the respective subject by gaining appropriate subject matter knowledge.
- Make a strong command on the language.
MSc Occupational Therapy: What is it About?
MSc Occupational Therapy is quite popular nowadays and can be described in the following points:
- MSc Occupational Therapy deals with a health care field of treating individuals who are undergoing any physical or mental trauma to come back to normalcy of life.
- The advanced dimensions and insights of health science are taught in this course.
- The candidates who aim to cure people and rejuvenate the health of any individual should choose this course.
- The interpersonal skills of a student are polished in this course and people learn about communicating with various people and make them feel better both mentally and physically.
- The student can pursue higher studies like MPhil and PhD after the completion of this course.
- The job opportunities in this course are very interesting. After successful completion of this course, one can work in hospitals, clinics, NGOs and schools as an occupational therapist.
MSc Occupational Therapy Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Course|
|Full Form||Masters of Science Occupational Therapy|
|Examination Type||Semester Examinations|
|Eligibility||Candidate holding a BSc/ Bachelors in Occupational Therapy with 55% aggregate marks from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination/ Merit based|
|Course Fee||INR 6,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 1,00,000 to INR 12,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Hospitals, Clinics, Health Care, Schools, nursing Homes, Defence Services etc|
|Job Positions||Medical Record Technician, Occupational Therapist, OT in-charge, Service Delivery Manager, Teacher, Critical Care Nursing In-charge.|
Why Study MSc Occupational Therapy?
MSc Occupational Therapy offers various perks for the students including a good package, interesting job profile, secured job etc. Below are some points which make it worth choosing:
- Popular: MSc in Occupational Therapy is constantly growing worldwide, and is rated as one of the top jobs globally.
- Diversified Career Options: You can work for various private and government sectors like hospitals, NGOs, schools etc.
- Chance to interact with different people: The occupational therapist job involves interacting with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds that makes communication and tackling skills of a person sharper.
- Interesting career option: With the practical applications of occupational therapy and empathy for solving real life problems, mentally and physically for different people, the career in Occupational Therapy is an interesting one.
Course Comparison: MSc Occupational Therapy vs Masters of Occupational Therapy (H3) MSc Occupational Therapy and Masters of Occupational Therapy are similar kinds of courses, however very different in their approach. Let’s find out the major differences between these two courses: With a different subject approach in both the courses, below is the table differentiating both on various aspects:-
|Parameters||MSc in Occupational Therapy||Masters of Occupational Therapy|
|Full Form||Master of Science in Occupational Therapy||Masters of Occupational Therapy|
|Overview||Master of Science (MSc) in Occupational Therapy is a 2 year post graduate course which deals with the specialisation of health care to solve physical, sensory and cognitive problems.||MOT is a professional course designed for making students familiar with the theory, evidence, and practicality of the practice of occupational therapy.|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination/ Merit Based||Entrance examination|
|Average Fee||INR 6,000 to INR 2,00,000||INR 1,00,000 to INR 9,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 1,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to INR 10,00,000|
|Colleges||ARC Education Para Medical Institute, Haryana, government medical college, Nagpur, Himalayan University, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipal University, Karnataka.||Manipal University, Karnataka, Dr. Tamil Nadu MGR University, Chennai, NIMS University, Jaipur, SRM University, Chennai|
|Recruitment sectors||Defense Services, Hospitals, Clinics, Health Care, Schools, Nursing Homes, Psychiatric clinics, etc||Public and private hospitals, Country or community health centers, Rehabilitation centers, Regular and special schools, Consultation services, Special centers providing training for persons with a social|
|Top Job Profiles||Medical Record Technician, Occupational Therapist, OT in-charge, Service Delivery Manager, Teacher, Critical Care Nursing In-charge.||Osteopath, Occupational therapists (OTs), Researcher, Therapy Manager, Assistant Physiotherapist, Sports Physio Rehabilitator.|
MSc Occupational Therapy Top Colleges
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in India:
|College Name||City||Average Fees|
|SRM University||Kanchipuram||INR 1,55,000|
|Shivalik Institute of Paramedical Technology (SIPT)||Chandigarh||INR 2,40,000|
|Tamil Nadu M.G.R. Medical University||Chennai||INR 6,000|
|Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences - MCOAHS||Karnataka||INR 80,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute||New Delhi||INR 14,000|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nasik||INR 1,20,000|
|Jamia Hamdard||Delhi||INR 1,38,000|
|Himalayan University||Arunachal Pradesh||INR 30,000|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University – (GGSIPU)||Delhi||INR 1,06,000|
|Topiwala National Medical College and B.Y.L. Nair Charitable Hospital||Mumbai||INR 1,31,000|
|Sanjeevni Institute of Paramedical Sciences||Haryana||NA|
MSc Occupational Therapy College Comparison
There are various colleges offering MSc Occupational Therapy. Below is a detailed comparison of top 3 colleges for MSc Occupational Therapy
|University Name||Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences - MCOAHS||SRM University||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University – (GGSIPU)|
|College overview||Manipal University was established in 1953. The university offers various UG, PG and Research degree programs. Apart from the main campus in Manipal, the university has campuses in Jaipur, Sikkim, Antigua, Mangalore, and other locations.||SRM University is one of the top universities in the county. The university offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in various disciplines, namely, Engineering, Management, Medicine, Health Sciences, Science, and Humanities.||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University was established in 1998. It offers UG, PG, Ph.D., and Diploma programs in various disciplines. The university conducts its own entrance exams for shortlisting students for admission into various courses.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 5,14,000||INR 1,85,000||INR 82,500|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 5,00,000||INR 6,50,000||INR 4,20,000|
|Admission process||MET||SRMJEEH||IPU CET|
MSc Occupational Therapy Distance Education
MSc Occupational Therapy is an extensive course with utmost training and lab work required. Hence, the course is offered in full time mode. One can pursue a diploma course for the particular specialization in various institutions as a distance course.
MSc Occupational Therapy Syllabus
Semester Wise Syllabus which is followed by most of the university in the course of MSc in Occupational Therapy is:
|Year I||Year II|
|Basic Sciences – Anatomy & Physiology||Occupational Therapy Management and Service|
|Treatment Approaches and Models in O.T.||Advanced O.T. in Neurosciences|
|OT in General Conditions||Advanced OT in Pediatrics|
|OT intervention in Orthopedics and Neurology conditions||Advanced OT in Mental Health|
|Occupational Therapy Intervention in Pediatrics conditions||Advanced OT in Orthopedics|
|Occupational Therapy in Mental Health Conditions||Advanced OT in Cardio-Respiratory Conditions|
|OT in Cardio-Respiratory Conditions||Advanced OT in hand Therapy|
|Biostatics & Research Methodology||OT in Education|
MSc Occupational Therapy Important Books
Important Books which can be followed while studying MSc in Occupational Therapy are-
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction||Mary Vining Radomski|
|Occupational Therapy, 1947||William and Spackman|
|Foundations for practice in Occupational Therapy||Rosemary Hagedorn|
Group Dynamics in Occupational Therapy: The Theoretical Basis and Practice Application of Group Intervention
|Marilyn B. Cole|
|Occupation-based Activity Analysis||Heather Thomas|
*Various books and research guides are available for the course of MSc in Occupational Therapy based on a particular subject.
MSc Occupational Therapy Job Profiles
After pursuing MSc in Occupational Therapy, one has a lot of career options to choose from. It is new yet gaining popularity in India gradually. The job prospects in this field involve improving the mental and physical well-being of an individual suffering from trauma. The new field of Occupational Therapy is gaining popularity in India day by day. The freshers get a head start by bagging an annual package of INR 5,00,000 - 10,00,000. Within some years of experience, the salary gets doubled for an occupational therapist. Below are some job positions which are bagged by a person pursuing MSc in Occupational Therapy:-
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary per annum|
|Lab Technician||Responsibilities include supervising the activities of lab technicians, preparing specimens, and much more.||INR 1,00,000 to 2,00,000|
|Occupational Therapist||Responsibilities include treating injured, ill patients helping them develop; recover in managing their daily life.||INR 6,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|OT Technician||Responsibilities include assisting the patient in the OT and handling the preparation on and before surgery.||INR 1,00,000 to 2,00,000|
|OT In-charge||Maintaining and overseeing the workings of the Operation Theatre assisting them in carrying out surgeries.||INR 2,00,000 to 3,00,000|
|Medical Record Technician||Facilitating communication between physicians, healthcare professionals, maintaining data, safety, and procedure for treatment.||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000|
MSc Occupational Therapy Future Scope (h2) MSc Occupational Therapy is a new yet trending course, and hence has a lot of market value. The person with MSc in Occupational Therapy can choose from a lot of options for future prospects and career options. Some of them are:-
- Students with MSc in Occupational Therapy can work in Defense Services, Hospitals, Clinics, Health Care, Schools, Nursing Homes, Psychiatric clinics, etc
- Students who want to pursue further studies can opt for Mphil or PhD in the same field. MPhil or PhD in the same course will brush up the knowledge of a student and will develop a more research thinking.
- After MSc in Occupational Therapy, students can also work as a lecturer or assistant professor in any academic institute or educational hubs.
MSc Occupational Therapy FAQs (h2)
Ques. What Masters can I do with an occupational therapy degree?
Ans. After completing Bachelors in occupational therapy, one can go for either MSc in occupational therapy or masters of occupational therapy.
Ques. What is the salary of an occupational therapist in India?
Ques. Is occupational therapy a good career?
Ques. What is the demand of students after completing MSc (Occupational Therapy)?
Ques. Is getting into an occupational therapy course difficult?
Ques. What is Occupational Therapy entrance exams composed of?
Ques. How to prepare for the entrance exam of MSc (Occupational Therapy)?
Ques. In which sectors a person with MSc in Occupational Therapy can work?
Ques. Is it compulsory to have a biology background to study MSc (Occupational Therapy)?
Ques. What is the fee in MSc Occupational Therapy?