MSc Physical Chemistry is a 2-year duration full-time postgraduate degree course that imparts study on the fundamental behavior of molecules and materials. The topics covered in this course are Organic chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Nuclear and Radioactivity, Computational Chemistry, Macromolecules etc.
To be eligible for admission to MSc Physical Chemistry, aspirants need to hold a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry with minimum 45% aggregate marks from a reputed college or university.
Admission to this course is mostly done on the basis of the marks obtained in the qualifying examination. Some colleges also offer admission on the basis of entrance exam performance. Some of the most popular national/state-level entrance exams are BHU PET, DUET, JNUEE, GSAT etc.
The average course fee charged by the top-notch MSc Physical Chemistry colleges typically range between INR 50,000-1,45,000, depending on the type of university.
See More: Top M.Sc. courses in 2021
See More: Top M.Sc. colleges in India
MSc Physical Chemistry Highlights
|Admission Process||Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry along with minimum 45% aggregate score|
|Course Fees||Merit Based, Entrance Exam in Few Cases|
|Recruiting Companies||Application Specialist, Solid State Chemistry Expert, Scientific-Synthetic Lab, Chemistry Research Officer, Professor, Research Officer-Biochemistry, Content Developer etc.|
|Jobs||Health and Medical Organizations, Food and Drink Industry, Energy Industry, Research Lab, Colleges and Universities etc.|
Do I qualify for MSc Physical Chemistry eligibility Criteria?
- To secure admission into MSc Physical Chemistry course, you need to fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility qualification:
- Students need to complete a 10+2 level in Science stream with a minimum 60% aggregate score.
- They must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry Hons. From a reputed college or university accredited by UGC/AIU with a minimum aggregate mark of 45%.
- Candidates who have completed their B.Sc. General with Chemistry as one of the main subjects are also eligible for this course study.
What is the MSc Physical Chemistry Admission Process
In case of merit-based admission, the college offers admission on the basis of marks at the qualifying examination. So, students have to score well at their 10+2 level board examination.
Application can be done through both online and offline. Colleges release merit lists, if you clear the cut-off rank, then you are eligible to secure your seat.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
The step-by-step process for entrance exam-based admission is mentioned in the following:
Register yourself for the entrance exam by using some of your basic details, like email id, phone number etc.
- Fill the application form carefully with all accurate details.
- Scan and upload required documents like 10 & 12th standard mark sheet and certificate, Bachelor’s degree mark sheet and certificate, caste certificate (if required), passport size photographs and signature at the specified format.
- After that, pay the application fee through either online or offline and submit the form.
- The college committee will release the admit cards after proper judgements of the candidate's eligibility. Candidates need to keep the admit cards with them at the date of examination.
- Candidates have to appear for the entrance exam on the announced date and perform well to secure their admission.
- Within a couple of weeks, the college or university announces the exam results and releases the merit lists of the qualified candidates.
- The shortlisted candidates need to go through the next round, like verifying the documentation and have to deposit the course fee for final enrollment to the respective academic session.
What are the top MSc Physical Chemistry Entrance Exams?
To secure admission into MSc Physical Chemistry course, the candidates have to appear for national/ university level entrance exams. Some of the most common and popular MSc Physical Chemistry entrance exams are mentioned in the following:
- BHU PET: This university-level entrance exam organized by the Banaras Hindu University. The exam is conducted for offering admission into the postgraduate degree course.
- DUET: It is a university level entrance exam conducted by the University of Delhi to shortlist the most eligible candidates for admission into various postgraduate degree programs.
- JNUEE: It is another university-level entrance exam conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University for securing admission of the eligible candidates into various postgraduate degree courses.
- GSAT: It is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the GITAM Institute of Science for allowing admission into the undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses.
The dates of the application and exam of the above-mentioned entrance exams are tabulated in the following:
What is the MSc Physical Chemistry Syllabus?
The semester-wise breakup of MSc Physical Chemistry course syllabus is tabulated in the following:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Organic Chemistry I||Organic Chemistry II|
|Inorganic Chemistry I||Inorganic Chemistry II|
|Analytical Chemistry I||Physical Chemistry II|
|Physical Chemistry I||Principles of Spectroscopy|
|Practical: Chemistry Lab I-Organic||Practical: Chemistry Lab IV-Organic|
|Chemistry Lab II- Inorganic-Analytical||Chemistry Lab V-Inorganic-Analytical|
|Chemistry Lab III-Physical||Chemistry Lab VI-Physical|
|ICT Learning in Chemistry||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Organic Synthetic Methods||Analytical Chemistry- III Radioanalytical & Electroanalytical Methods|
|Nuclear & Radioactivity||Analytical Chemistry-IV Computational Chemistry|
|Group Theory and Applications of Spectroscopy||Analytical Chemistry-V Separation Methods|
|Chemistry of Materials||Analytical Chemistry-VI Hyphenated Methods and Automation|
|Practical: Chemistry Lab VII-Organic||Inorganic Chemistry III|
|Chemistry Lab VIII-Inorganic/ Analytical||Inorganic Chemistry IV|
|Chemistry Lab IX-Physical||Inorganic Chemistry V|
|-||Advanced Quantum Chemistry and Photochemistry|
|-||Advanced Chemical Kinetics and Electrochemistry|
|-||Analytical Chemistry Project|
|-||Inorganic Chemistry Project|
|-||Physical Chemistry Project|
Important Books for MSc Physical Chemistry Course?
List below some of the most popular reference books that help the students to gain a broad understanding on MSc Physical Chemistry course syllabus:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Advanced Inorganic Chemistry||F. Albert Cotton, Geoffrey Wilkinson|
|Fundamentals of Molecular Spectroscopy||C.N. Banwell|
|Fundamentals of Photochemistry||Wiley|
|Principles of Solid State||H.V. Keer|
|Handbook of Synthetic Organic Chemistry||Michael Pirrung|
What are the MSc Physical Chemistry Top Colleges
Many colleges are offering this course in India. Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed below –
|College Name||Admission Process||Course Fee||Average Annual Salary|
|Acharya Nagarjuna University, Andhra Pradesh||ANUPGCET||INR 23,690||INR 3,00,000|
|Mizoram University, Mizoram||Merit Based||INR 50,000||INR 2,40,000|
|Shoolini University, Solan||Merit Based||INR 1,31,000||INR 2,00,000|
|Maharaja Agrasen University, Solan||Merit Based||INR 90,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Ranchi University, Jharkhand||Merit Based||INR 4,818||INR 4,00,000|
Masters of Physical Chemistry course is done in full time mode. You can take admission in the desired college on the basis of entrance exams. You can complete this course in about INR 40,000 to INR 1,00,000.
What after MSc Physical Chemistry?
After successful completion of MSc Physical Chemistry course, the candidates may have a diverse range of prospective career and job opportunities in the related field. The graduates may have wide opportunities in Health and Medical Organizations, Food and Drink Industry, Energy Industry, Research Lab, Colleges and Universities etc.
- They are hired as Application Specialist, Solid State Chemistry Expert, Scientific-Synthetic Lab, Chemistry Research Officer, Research Officer-Biochemistry, Content Developer etc.
- Besides that, the postgraduates can also have the opportunity to become professors or lecturers in the field of Chemistry in any reputed colleges and universities.
- The average salary earned by the MSc Physical Chemistry graduates range between INR 2,00,000-8,00,000 per annum.
- Some of the most common and popular job profiles for MSc Physical Chemistry postgraduates along with respective job description and average annual salary package are listed below:
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Scientist- Synthetic Lab||Their main responsibility is to carry out diagnostic testing of genetics, make proper analysis and documentation of reports.||INR 5,00,000-6,00,000|
|Chemistry Research Officer||They have to study various aspects of gravitational waves, stem cell biology and evaluate, analyze, interpret and document the following records for thesis generation.||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Solid State Chemistry Expert||They have to work with the team to resolve any kind of technical issues pertaining to solid state characterization of different elements.||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Content Developer||Their responsibility is to develop contents related to the study and evaluation of Chemistry for colleges as well as for different websites.||INR 2,00,000-4,00,000|
|Application Specialist- Analytical Chemistry||Their main responsibility is to carry out electro-chromatography by using the samples for proper analysis, document preparation and have to make the lists of product specifications.||INR 2,00,000-4,00,000|
MSc Physical Chemistry Future Scope
On completion of MSc Physical Chemistry course study, the students can consider pursuing higher studies or can conduct research work as a Scientist in any reputed research labs or in educational sectors.
Some of the popular higher studies options available for the students are mentioned in the following:
M.Phil: If the student wants to opt for a short-term higher studies option, then they can easily choose a 2-year full-time M.Phil Chemistry course. The course offers advanced study on fundamental chemical and physical properties and principles and their actual applications and transformations.
Check out the top M.Phil Chemistry colleges in India.
Ph.D: After completing MSc Physical Chemistry course, if the student wishes to pursue further higher studies in the same field of education, then he/she can opt for Ph.D. Physical Chemistry course. It is a 3-5 years full-time doctorate course that helps the students to gain further knowledge and make research in the Physical Chemistry domain.
Also, check out the top Ph.D. Physical Chemistry colleges in India.
Competitive Exams: Students can also opt for high-paid jobs in Government sector organizations by clearing different competitive examinations like UPSC, SSC etc.
What is the difference between MSc Physical Chemistry vs M.Sc. in Applied Physics?
Both MSc Physical Chemistry and M.Sc. Biochemistry courses are academic based and the basic comparison between these courses on various major parameters are mentioned in the following:
Check out the top M.Sc. Biochemistry colleges in India.
|Parameters||MSc Physical Chemistry||M.Sc. Biochemistry|
|Course Level||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry along with minimum 45% aggregate score||Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the relevant field with minimum 50% aggregate score|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance Exam Based||Merit and Entrance Exam Based|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000-1,45,000||INR 30,000-1,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000-8,00,000||INR 1,50,000-5,00,000|
|Top Colleges||Acharya Nagarjuna University, Mizoram University, Ranchi University, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Banaras Hindu University, Birla College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Maharaja Agrasen University etc.||University of Hyderabad, Aligarh Muslim University, Amity University, AIIMS, Delhi University, Jamia Milia Islamia University, Fergusson College, The Oxford College of Science, Maharishi Dayanand University etc.|
|Job Roles||Application Specialist, Solid State Chemistry Expert, Scientific-Synthetic Lab, Chemistry Research Officer, Professor, Research Officer-Bio-Chemistry, Content Developer etc.||Associate Engineer, Research Scientist, Professors, Microbiologist, Biotechnologist, Pharmacologist, Lab Technician, Bioscience Business Specialist, Consultant etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Health and Medical Organizations, Food and Drink Industry, Energy Industry, Research Lab, Colleges and Universities etc.||Research Centres, Colleges and Universities, Medical Equipment Manufacturing Companies, Pharmaceutical Companies, Hospitals and Clinics etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Ericsson India, Hughes Software Systems, Karrox Technologies Ltd, Sasken Communications etc.||Wockhardt Limited, Piramal Healthcare, Biocon, GlaxoSmithKline, Panacea etc.|
MSc Physical Chemistry FAQs
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for MSc Physical Chemistry course?
Ans. Candidates having B.Sc. in Chemistry with minimum 45% aggregate score from a recognized college are eligible for this course study.
Ques. What is the admission process?
Ans. Admission to this course is widely done on the basis of merit. Few colleges also conduct entrance exams, like BHU PET, DUET, JNUEE, GSAT etc.
Ques. What is the average course fee for MSc Physical Chemistry?
Ans. The average tuition fee charged by the top most MSc Physical Chemistry colleges in India typically range between INR 50,000-1,45,000.
Ques. Which are the top MSc Physical Chemistry colleges in India?
Ans. Some of the top-notch MSc Physical Chemistry colleges in India are Acharya Nagarjuna University, Mizoram University, Ranchi University, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Banaras Hindu University, Birla College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Maharaja Agrasen University etc.
Ques. What are the job profiles available after completing this course?
Ans. After completing MSc Physical Chemistry course, the postgraduates can get prospective job opportunities like Application Specialist, Solid State Chemistry Expert, Scientific-Synthetic Lab, Chemistry Research Officer, Research Officer-Biochemistry, Content Developer etc. in major recruiting field like Health and Medical Organizations, Food and Drink Industry, Energy Industry, Research Lab, Colleges and Universities etc.
Ques. What is the average annual salary scale applicable for such professionals?
Ans. MSc Physical Chemistry postgraduates can earn an average salary packages of INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000 per annum depending on their skills, expertise and job positions in the field.
Ques. What is the scope after doing Master of Science MSc Physical Chemistry?
Ans. On completion of MSc Physical Chemistry course study, the students can consider pursuing higher studies or can conduct research work as a Scientist in any reputed research labs or in educational sectors.
Ques. What are the most recommended books after doing M.Sc in Physical Chemistry?
Ans. Most recommended books after doing M.Sc in Physical Chemistry are -
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry by F. Albert Cotton, Geoffrey Wilkinson
- Fundamentals of Molecular Spectroscopy by C.N. Banwell
- Fundamentals of Photochemistry by Wiley
- Principles of Solid State by H.V. Keer
- Handbook of Synthetic Organic Chemistry by Michael Pirrung
Ques. What are the three top colleges to pursue M.Sc in Physical Chemistry ?
Ans. The top three MSc Physical Chemistry colleges in India on the basis of a few important parameters, like NIRF ranking, eligibility, admission process, course fee and salary etc.
- Banaras Hindu University (Uttar Pradesh)
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetam (Tamil Nadu)
- Mizoram University (Mizoram)
Ques. What are the Top recruiting areas after M.Sc in Physical Chemistry?
Ans. The Top recruiting areas after M.Sc in Physical Chemistry are Application Specialist, Solid State Chemistry Expert, Scientific-Synthetic Lab, Chemistry Research Officer, Professor, Research Officer-Bio-Chemistry, Content Developer etc.