M.Sc in the Psychiatry course is 2 years that gives the students comprehensive knowledge about the counseling of mental health and research, career counseling, building a cultural and social foundation, lifestyle development, and many more.
This course will enable a student to understand the complexities that are associated with the psychology field. In this subject, students will get a hint of psychology and can practice in the field of Psychiatry.
The subjects that are taught in this course are Psychology, Child and Adolescent topics, Criminal Understanding, Society, school, etc.
Admission to colleges offering MSc Psychiatry is based on a merit list of different colleges and universities. However, few colleges conduct their own entrance exams.
The only eligibility criteria for this course is the student must complete B.Sc in Psychiatry or any equivalent subject with a minimum of 55% of aggregate marks from any recognized university.
Top Colleges that offer M.Sc in Psychiatry
The names of the top 5 colleges that offer M.Sc in Psychiatry course are the following:-
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Annual Fees|
|Sri Ram Chandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai||Merit Based||INR 1,00,000|
|Teerthanker Mahaveer University||Moradabad||Entrance Based||INR 1,17,000|
|Saveetha Institute of Medical Sciences||Chennai||Merit Based||INR 1,00,000|
|Teerthanker Mahaveer College of Nursing||Moradabad||Entrance Based||INR 1,60,000|
|Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara University||Dharwad||Merit Based||INR 1,20,000|
The average course fees charged for this course ranges between INR 90,000- INR 3, 10,000 per annum. The dual degree that is offered with this course is an M.Sc in Clinical Neuropsychiatry.
The prospects of this course are excellent, and lots of job opportunities in different areas are available for the students. The various job profiles are Therapist, Psychiatric Nurse, Psychiatrist, Junior Occupational Therapist, etc.
The average salary for these job profiles ranges from INR 2,00,000- INR 9,00,000 per annum. Further students can pursue an M.Phil degree or a doctorate in M.Sc in Psychiatry course.
What is the Admission Process of M.Sc in Psychiatry?
The basic steps of the admission process to pursue this course are mentioned below:-
- The admission Process for pursuing M.Sc in Psychiatry is based on the marks secured in graduation and scores obtained by the student in the entrance examinations conducted by the colleges.
- The application forms released dates for these entrance exams vary from college to college. In the below table, we have briefly mentioned the details of each entrance exam. The application forms must be submitted online for all the entrance examinations.
- Once a student successfully cleared the entrance exams, then they will be called for counseling and the personal interview round followed by admission.
The basic steps for the online admission process:-
Entrance based online admission is conducted in some colleges for M.Sc in Psychiatry courses. The procedures for this admission process are mentioned below:-
- Students must register their names by providing email ids, mobile number, and password.
- Fill all the necessary columns by providing personal and educational information
- Must present in the entrance examination on the given date.
- After declaring results, selected students will be called for counseling and a personal interview and then the admission process will start.
Read More: MSc Admission Process 2020
What is the Criteria of M.Sc Psychiatry Eligibility?
A student must be a graduate to pursue this course. The eligibility criteria for the M.Sc in Psychiatry course are the following:-
- The student must complete the B.Sc in Psychiatry or any equivalent course.
- The student must get a minimum of 55% of the aggregate of marks from any recognized university.
- Clearing the cut-off marks in the entrance examination is the prime requirement in some medical colleges for getting admission to this course.
- The students also have to show good performance in the Personal Interview round.
See Also: MD Psychiatry Course
How to prepare for M.Sc in Psychiatry Entrance exams
All the students have to prepare well before appearing in the entrance examination for the M.Sc in Psychiatry course. Below are some of the tips that can help a student to score good marks in the entrance examination:-
- Collect the current updated syllabus online and prepare hard for every section. Try to collect the previous year’s cut-offs. So that you can prepare according to the cut-offs.
- Remember quantity over quality. Avoid attempting difficult questions if you don’t know the answer as negative markings are applied in the entrance examinations.
- Focus more on subjects like English, Psychology, Reasoning, and current affairs.
- Try to cover the entire curriculum for the entrance exams.
- Prepare well for the Personal Interview round also, try to get good marks in this section.
How to get admission in a good college for the M.Sc in Psychiatry course?
To get a chance to pursue your M.Sc in Psychiatry course from a good college you have to concentrate on the following points:-
- For getting admission to a top college a student must secure high marks on the entrance exam conducted by that particular college/ university.
- You must also get good marks on your B.Sc degree. A minimum of 55% of marks is required to appear for the entrance exam.
- Concentrate on preparing for the entrance examination one year before the date of examination.
- In all the colleges/ universities, along with the entrance exam, viva voice or personal interview is also conducted. So prepare well for this round of interviews also.
- Try to collect all details of that college, where you want to pursue your future education like how the teaching faculty, curriculum, course fees, college environment, etc.
- Placement is also very important. So, always choose that particular college where placement opportunities are excellent. Where previously passed out students get good job opportunities.
Checkout: MSc Course Distance Education
What the course M.Sc in Psychiatry is all about?
M.Sc in Psychiatry course is the 2 years full- time postgraduate course. The details of these 2 years mental health course is mentioned below:-
- M.Sc in Psychiatry course aims at providing the students with proper training for handling the patients and to treat the individuals who are suffering from mental ailments.
- The curriculum of this course including topics is human development, counseling, individual counseling, clinical assessment, and family therapy, etc.
- M.Sc in Psychiatry course gives the students comprehensive knowledge about the counseling of mental health and research, career counseling, building a cultural and social foundation, lifestyle development, and many more.
- Students after pursuing this course become polished in some definite skills like taking final decisions necessary for the treatment, taking proper judgment considering the mental illness of the patients.
- This course will enable a student to understand the complexities that are associated with the psychology field. In this subject, students will get a hint of psychology and can practice in the field of Psychiatry.
- An M.Sc in Psychiatry student has to deal with various patients having a mental disorder and must try to bring their life on a normal path.
- The various dimensions of this course are career development, the study of ethics, counseling theories, diagnosis strategies, etc.
- M.Sc in Psychiatry is the best platform for all the students to develop their interpersonal skills by communicating with the patients and thus after building a strong bond with the patients, they together can successfully achieve the goal.
Course Highlights of M.Sc in Psychiatry Course
The main highlights of the M.Sc in Psychiatry course are as follows:-
|Full-Form||Master of Science (M.Sc) -Psychiatry|
|Examination Type||Semesters/ Yearly|
|Eligibility||Must complete B.Sc in Psychiatry or any equivalent subject with a minimum of 55% of aggregate marks from any recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance based and merit-based|
|Course Fee||INR 90,000- INR 3,10,000 per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000- INR 9,00,000 per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Private and Government Hospitals, Mental Health Care Centres, Nursing Homes, Military Services, etc.|
|Job Positions||Therapist, Psychiatric Nurse, Psychiatrist, Junior Occupational Therapist, etc.|
Why choose this particular M.Sc in Psychiatry course?
This is a highly demanding course and the reasons why one should pursue this particular M.Sc in Psychiatry course are stated below:-
- After completing this M.Sc in Psychiatry course, students become eligible for the post of Professor in any Colleges/ Universities.
- The opportunities for career growth are very good at this M.Sc in Psychiatry course. Students can get a chance to work in various areas like Child/Youth guidance centers, mental health centers, Welfare organizations, Rehabilitation centers, and Vocational Rehabilitation Offices, etc.
- Students having a postgraduate degree in Psychiatry can also work under various reputed NGOs and nursing houses.
- An M.Sc in Psychiatry graduate also gets the best career opportunity to work in reputed organizations like Apple, Google, and Reliance as Content Writers, Market Researcher, Advertising Associates, etc.
- This course will increase a student’s patience level in studying a case. Their analytical thinking capacity helps them to think logically.
- MSc Psychiatry helps the students to treat any type of patient suffering from mental illness and help them to show the right path.
- This course is the best course for students to have decent communication skills. After completing this course, they will possess interpersonal awareness, problem-solving skills, and environmental awareness skills within themselves.
See Also: Top MSc Entrance Exams
Course Comparison with the M.Sc in Psychiatry course
There are some similar courses like M.Sc in Psychiatry. These courses are M.Sc in Psychology and M.Sc in Psychiatry. The comparisons among these courses are mentioned below:-
|Parameter||MSc Psychiatry||MSc Psychology|
|Full Form||Master of Science in Psychiatry||Master of Science in Psychology|
|Overview||MSc Psychiatry is the study of mental health along with the intricacies involved in its study.||MSc Psychology is the scientific study of the behaviour and the Human mind.|
|Average Fees||INR 70,000 - INR 1,20,000||INR 60,000 - INR 1,50,000|
|Recruiting Areas||Mental Health Care Centre, Government & Private Hospitals, Military Services, Nursing Labs, etc.||Mental Health Care Centre, Government, and Private Hospitals, Nursing Labs, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4 LPA - INR 10 LPA||INR 3 LPA - INR 8 LPA|
Course Specialization of the M.Sc in Psychiatry course
The course specializations of the M.Sc in Psychiatry course are:-
|Specialization courses||Description||Average Salary|
|Forensic Psychiatry||That branch of Psychiatry in which students have to treat mental health problems of prisoners and stay at mental health centers.||INR 3 ,00,000-INR 4,00,000|
|Adult Psychiatry||That branch of Psychiatry in which students have to treat depression, the anxiety of the patients over 18 years.||INR 3 ,00,000-INR 3,50,000|
|Addiction Psychiatry||That branch of Psychiatry in which students have to focus on the treatment of the people suffering from more than one disorder related to addiction.||INR 4,50 ,000-INR 6,00,000|
|Emergency Psychiatry||That branch of Psychiatry in which students have to focus on Clinical application for emergency purposes.||INR 4 ,00,000-INR 5,00,000|
|Child and Adolescent Psychiatry||That branch of Psychiatry in which students have to focus on the treatment of the people of mental disorders in children and adolescents.||INR 5 ,00,000-INR 5,50,000|
What are the Top colleges that offer the M.Sc in Psychiatry course?
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Annual Fees||Average Salary Package|
|Teerthanker Mahaveer University||Moradabad||Entrance Based||INR 1,17,000||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Saveetha Institute of Medical Sciences||Chennai||Merit Based||INR 1,00,000||INR 8 LPA|
|Teerthanker Mahaveer College of Nursing||Moradabad||Entrance Based||INR 1,60,000||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara University||Dharwad||Merit Based||INR 1,20,000||INR 7 LPA|
|Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute||Chennai||Merit Based||INR 1,00,000||INR 6.2 LPA|
College Comparisons that offers the M.Sc Psychiatry Course
The comparison of the top 3 colleges that offers the M.Sc in Psychiatry course are the following:-
|Parameters||Sri Ram Chandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Teerthanker Mahaveer College of Nursing|
|Overview||SRCIHER is Located in Porur, Chennai. It offers various MBBS programs, MD (Post Graduation in Basic Medical Sciences) in several specializations.||TMCN is a private university located in Moradabad. This college offers various Nursing and Medical courses to medical aspirants.|
|Annual Fee||INR 1,00,000||1,17,000|
|Average Placement Offer||INR 6.2 LPA||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Placement Areas.||Mental Health Care Centre, Government & Private Hospitals, Military Services, Nursing Labs, etc.||Mental Health Care Centre, Government & Private Hospitals, Military Services, Nursing Labs, etc.|
What is the Syllabus for M.Sc Psychiatry Course?
The syllabus for M.Sc in Psychiatry course includes both theory and practical papers. The structure of this M.Sc in Psychiatry course is the following:-
|First Year||Second Year|
|Introduction of Mental Health||Psychotic Disorders|
|Theories of Personality||Psychological Testing|
|Mild Mental Disorders||Neurological Disorders|
|Positive Psychology-Mental Health||Research Statistics and Methods|
|Personality Disorders||M.Sc Thesis|
What are the recommended Books for M.Sc Psychiatry Course?
The names of the important books along with authors name for the M.Sc in Psychiatry Course are the following:-
|A Short Textbook of Psychiatry||Niraj Ahuja|
|Textbook of Psychiatry||Laura Weiss Roberts|
|Critical Appraisal for Psychiatry||Stephen M Lawrie|
|Andrew M. Malntosh|
|Textbook of Postgraduate Psychiatry||JN Vyas|
|Shree Ram Ghimire|
What are the Job Prospects and Career Options in M.Sc Psychiatry Course?
M.Sc in Psychiatry course aims at providing the students with proper training for handling the patients and to treat the individuals who are suffering from mental ailments. The various job prospects and career options for this M.Sc in Psychiatry Course are the following:-
- Available career options for this course are Therapist, Psychiatric Nurse, Psychiatrist, Junior Occupational Therapist, etc.
- The various areas of employment are mental health centers, Child/Youth guidance centers, Rehabilitation centers, Welfare organizations, Vocational Rehabilitation Offices, etc.
- Both Government and Private sector jobs are available for the students after completing this M.Sc in Psychiatry course. Besides working in any private and government institutions, students can also work as a Teacher in the concerned subject.
Job Profiles with the description M.Sc Psychiatry Course
The best job profiles with description for this M.Sc in Psychiatry Course are the following:-
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary in INR|
|Junior Occupational Therapist||Responsible for conducting assessments and tests for good mental health.||INR 2,00,000-INR 3,00,000|
|Clinical Psychologist||Responsible for interviewing, observing, and diagnosing the psychological disorder||INR 3,00,000-INR 4,00,000|
|Psychiatrist||Responsible for taking treatment and offering care to a patient’s mental health.||INR 8,00,000-INR 9,00,000|
|Psychiatric Nurse||Responsible for emotional and social needs and diagnosing the progress of the patients of mental illness.||INR 5,00,000-INR 7,00,000|
|Professor||Responsible for giving knowledge of the students pursuing a Psychiatry course.||INR 3,00,000-INR 6,00,000|
|Therapist||Responsible for counseling with patients to resolve issues and problems.||INR 2,00,000-INR 3,00,000|
Salary Trend Graph for M.Sc Psychiatry Course
The Salary Trend Graph for M.Sc in Psychiatry Course is the following:-
What is the Future Scope of the course M.Sc in Psychiatry?
A lot of scopes for the future are available for the students after completing the M.Sc in Psychiatry course. These are mentioned below:-
- MSc Psychiatry graduates can pursue an M.Phil degree or a doctorate in M.Sc in Psychiatry course and can increase the patience level in studying a case. They can also develop their analytical thinking capacity.
- Related courses with this course are M.Sc in Psychology and M.Sc in Sociology.M.Sc in Psychology course helps the students to overcome any type of mental illness and they can grow themselves in a satisfying profession and M.Sc in Sociology course deals with the study of society and the behavior of human beings in groups.
- They can also apply for a PhD course and research on the related topic of their choice. They can later publish that research paper for future psychiatry enthusiasts.
M.Sc Psychiatry FAQs
Ques. What is the total duration of this course?
Ans. This is a 2 years full-time postgraduate degree course.
Ques. Is this the best course for providing moral support to a mentally challenged individual?
Ans. Yes, it is the best course for providing moral support to a mentally challenged individual.
Ques. What is the role of an M.Sc in Psychiatry students?
Ans. The role of an M.Sc in Psychiatry student is to train the students to identify the emotional, behavioral, and psychological problems along with its related disorders
Ques. What is the average salary of an M.Sc in Psychiatry Course?
Ans. The average salary of an M.Sc in Psychiatry course is around INR 2, 00,000-INR 9, 00,000 per annum.
Ques. What is the minimum percentage required for pursuing M.Sc in Psychiatry course?
Ans. More than 55% is required in B.Sc to pursue M.Sc in Psychiatry course.
Ques. What is the aim of a Psychiatrist?
Ans. A Psychiatrist aims to take treatment and offer care to a patient’s mental health.
Ques. What are the entrance exams conducted for pursuing M.Sc in Psychiatry course?
Ans. The entrance exams that are conducted for pursuing this course are DU entrance exams, LPUNEST, JMI Entrance test, etc.
Ques. What is the average course fee for an M.Sc in the Psychiatry course?
Ans. The average course fee for an M.Sc in Psychiatry course is around INR 90,000 to 3, 08,000 per annum.
Ques. Can I pursue this course on distance education?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue this course on distance education.
Ques. What are the basic eligibility criteria for pursuing this course?
Ans. To pursue this course a student must be a graduate securing a minimum of 55% of marks from any recognized university and should qualify in the entrance examination.