M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology is a two-year Postgraduate program in the domain of agriculture sciences with a specialization in the field of seed-related scientific and technological aspect. The minimum eligibility criterion which most of the institutes ask for is a score of at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) at graduation level.
Some of the popular institutes/universities that offer the course in India are listed below:
- Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture and Technology
- Indian Agriculture Research Institute
- Raja Balwant Singh College
- Tamil Nadu Agriculture University
- University of Agriculture Sciences
- National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology
The average tuition fee charged for the course in Indian colleges/University ranges between INR 15,000 to 2.25 Lacs and depends upon the nature of college/institute (that is government, state/private/deemed) as well as its location.
Admissions to the course involve a Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criterion that is the percentage of marks obtained at graduation level by the candidate. Colleges and Institute that provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of National Level common entrance exams like, ICAR AIEEA, while some of them go for a separate entrance exam of their own (like AGRICET). Institutes conducting entrance exam also give due consideration to graduation marks and performance in the entrance exam while considering the applications for admissions.
The course is accustomed to fulfilling the need of master’s level academic curriculum in the domain. It aims at providing a complete overview of all the aspects related to the subject.
Candidates completing the course successfully can expect job offers ranging from INR 12,000 to 18,000 per month. Candidate can choose to go for higher studies in the domain before taking on the associated job opportunities in case he/she is interested in expanding the knowledge and skill base.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Seed Science & Technology)
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at graduation level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 15,000 to 2.25 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 12,000 to 18,000|
|Top Recruiting areas||Horticulture industry, Nursery, Plant breeding centers, research lab|
|Job Positions||Horticulturist, Agriculture scientist, Plant breeder, Enclosure manager, Tissue culture expert, Farm manager etc.|
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: What is it about?
Seed is the fundamental necessity for germination of a plant or crop. Improper seed selection or nurturing can result in crop failure and economic losses. Hence it becomes important that scientific principles and methodologies are incorporated throughout seed selection, sowing, and nurturing.
Seed Science and Technology as a specialized branch of agricultural sciences focuses on the study of structure and development of seeds from the moment of fertilization of the egg cell to the emergence of a new plant from the seed. Thus, it provides a scientific and technological touch to the study of seed-related aspects which is located at the core of plant and crop growth.
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology course is oriented in a manner so as to develop academic base through semester-wise theoretical examination while developing the practical skills through lab modules, experiments, and research.
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Top Institutes
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology is offered as a master’s level course by a good number of colleges and universities across the country to candidates who have passed their graduation level education from a recognized state/central/deemed university.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee (Per annum basis)|
|Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswa Vidyalaya||Nadia||INR 5,400|
|Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture and Technology||Kanpur||INR 59,689|
|CCS Haryana Agricultural University||Hisar||INR 50,760|
|CCS University||Meerut||INR 27,600|
|Indian Agriculture Research Institute||Delhi||INR 7,355|
|Raja Balwant Singh College||Agra||INR 29,052|
|Tamil Nadu Agriculture University||Coimbatore||INR 17,310|
|University of Agriculture Sciences||Bangalore||INR 25,440|
|National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology||Delhi||INR 15,550|
|Rajendra Agricultural University||Pusa||INR 12,933|
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed their final year graduation examination in the respective field of specialization (B.Sc. Agriculture/B.Sc. Biotechnology/B.Sc. life sciences/B.Sc. Biology etc.) with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks from a recognized state/central/deemed university
- He/She shall not be having any supplementary or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at graduation level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work or research experience in the respective domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Institutes offering admissions through Common Entrance Test go for scores of ICAR AIEAA. To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Admission Process
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology course admissions are done through common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as merit-based selection process (as seen in a good number of institutes/colleges).
- Students who have passed their graduation level examinations with a minimum of 50% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Majority of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.Sc. courses (like AGRICET) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like MCAER PG CET. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After completion of all the process, final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years with End Semester Exams being held after each semester. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and research-based modules that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to seed science and technology so, as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so, as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II|
|Principles of Genetics||Principles of Cytogenetic|
|Principles of Plant Breeding||Breeding for quality traits|
|Mutagenesis and Mutation||Gene regulation and expression|
|Heterosis Breeding||Germplasm Collection|
|Cell biology and molecular genetics||Principles of Quantitative Genetics|
|Biotechnology for Crop Improvement||Seminar|
|Elective subject||Research report and Viva-Voce|
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done B.Sc. Agriculture/B.Sc. Biotechnology/B.Sc. life sciences/B.Sc. Biology etc.
- Those who are looking for a research-based job in the domain.
- Those who have a career as a horticulturist in mind.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology: Career Prospects
M.Sc. in Seed Science and Technology degree holders have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Horticulturist, Agriculture scientist, Plant breeder, Enclosure manager, Tissue culture expert, Farm manager etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where postgraduates in Seed Science and Technology can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Horticulturist||A horticulturist is involved in management, growth, and development of fruits, flowers, and vegetables related seeds and plants.||INR 2.15-2.33Lacs|
|Agriculture Scientist||Agriculture scientist’s job involves conducting proper research and analysis of the condition for seed germination and plant growth so as to facilitate enhanced productivity.||INR 2.80-3.45 Lacs|
|Plant breeder||Plant breeders are involved in the task of breeding and rearing of different combinations and varieties of plants and seeds so as to find out a perfect hybrid or breed.||INR 2.54-2.90 Lacs|
|Tissue Culture Expert||A tissue culture expert is indulged in the task of genetic level research and development in regards to seeds and plant growth.||INR 2.85-3.25 Lacs|
|Farm Manager||Farm manager is entrusted with the overall responsibility of managing growth and development related aspects of the crops and plants in the farm based setup or enclosure.||INR 2.72-3.15 Lacs|