|Course Type||Post Graduation|
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery is a postgraduate course in surgery. A Pediatric surgeon is a qualified surgeon who has additional training in performing surgery on young patients, including fetuses (neonatal or fetal surgery), infants, children, adolescents, and teenagers.
The course offers unique exposure to pediatric subspecialties including respiratory medicine, pediatric rheumatology, pediatric surgery (day surgery), pediatric gastroenterology, and endocrinology. The course aims to build in students, the core skills in critical review, communications, medical ethics, statistics, and data handling, research methods, and principles of evidence-based medicine, good clinical practice and clinical governance in order to equip them for their own medical practice and to prepare them for specialty courses.
Based on specialty, geographic area, and related parameters Pediatric Surgeons are offered an average annual salary ranging between INR 6 and 8 lacs in India, based also on their work experience.
Top Colleges for Master of Surgery [MS] (Pediatric Surgery)
M.S. Pediatric Surgery: Course Highlights
Given here are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Name of the course||M.D. in Pediatric Surgery|
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration||2 years, full time|
|Examination Type||Yearly/ Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS recognized by the Medical Council of India|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in the relevant entrance examination (NEET) or personal interview in some cases|
|Average Course Fee||INR 3K to 25 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1 to 15 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospitals, National Institute of Health, Armed Forces Institute of Pediatric Surgery, Food and Drug Administration, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Dr. Lal Path Labs, Intelligence Bureau, Central Bureau of Investigation, Asian Institute of Medical Sciences etc.|
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery: Course Duration
The course lasts for 2 years, spread over 4 academic terms, and includes both theoretical sessions and laboratory visits.
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery: What is it About?
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery course essentially aims to create familiarity in candidates with respect to preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of issues related to the area of special expertise, and to train them in interacting appropriately with allied colleagues involved in the care of pediatric patients.
Entwined with these objectives are those of the ethical and academic nature that reflect the conscience of modern Pediatric Surgery. Listed below are some such objectives.
- To offer students the opportunity to prepare a substantial piece of work which represent a significant contribution in a particular field of study, and to gain transferable skills in general research methodology.
- To provides a unique exposure to international standard tertiary pediatric subspecialties including respiratory medicine, pediatric rheumatology, pediatric surgery (day surgery), pediatric gastroenterology, and endocrinology.
- To equip them adequately to work as Child Specialists in any of the various government and private hospitals or pursue private practices.
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery: Top Institutes
The average tuition fee charged in India for the course ranges around INR 25 lacs for private institutes but is as low as INR 3,000 for AIIMS
Listed below are some of the best institutes in India that offer M.S. in Pediatric Surgery.
Eligibility for M.S. in Pediatric Surgery
- The minimum eligibility for admission to the course is an M.B.B.S. degree with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
- Some of the top universities, institutes, and colleges across the country conduct entrance examinations for admission.
- All candidates are needed to have at least 12 months of clinical rotation in Plastic Surgery in a locally approved training program recognized by the Division of Graduate Medical Studies.
Admission Process for M.S. in Pediatric Surgery
For admission to the course, eligible applicants need to:
- have MBBS or equivalent qualification, from an MCI- (Medical Council of India) recognized university or equivalent.
- have been registered trainees in the relevant surgical training program from a recognized college.
- qualify an online test followed by a round of counseling
- have scored a preset minimum aggregate score in the last qualifying examination.
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery: Syllabus and Course Structure
These are the main subjects covered as part of the course’s curriculum.
- Emergency Room Procedures
- Pre-operative Workup
- Minor O.T. procedures
- General Surgical Operative Procedures
- Post-operative Care
- Major Operating room techniques
- Specialty Procedures for Pediatric Surgery.
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery: Academic Options
After obtaining the first postgraduate degree, i.e. MS/MS/DNB, such professionals can go for further specialization in medical or surgical fields. Candidates can additionally proceed with research in a specialization related to their Master’s degree, such as Ph.D. in Pediatric Surgery. They are needed to complete a 3- year M.Ch. in Pediatric Surgery after that.
M.S. in Pediatric Surgery: Career Prospects
A career in pediatric surgery requires collaboration with neonatal specialists, pediatricians, and family physicians to determine the best course of treatment for the child, as well as communication with the child's family to ensure his or her pre- and post-operative safety.
Some of the popular employment areas for postgraduates of M.S. in Pediatric Surgery course are:
- Medical Colleges & Universities
- Administrative Jobs
- Private Clinics
- Govt./Pvt. Hospitals
- Medical Test Labs
- Defense Services
Successful professionals of the discipline are hired in capacities such as Pediatric Surgeon, Surgery Coder, Professor, Consultant, Pediatric Physician, Private Practitioner, Pediatric Cardiologist, Clinical Associate, Pediatrician, Dietician & Nutritionist, etc.
Some of the popular professional avenues open for postgraduates in the course are mentioned below along with the basic duties and salaries associated with each job profile.
|Job Title||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Pediatric Surgeon||A Pediatric Surgeon is a trained surgeon specializing in the diagnoses and operative care of surgical issues in children. While general surgeons are fully qualified to operate on young patients, Pediatric Surgeons receive special training in the surgical repair of birth defects, surgical techniques specific to each stage of child development, and the treatment of trauma in children||2,80,020 to 6,60,600|
|Surgery Coder||Surgery Coders help facilitate a smooth billing process by checking doctors' notes, tests, images, and patients' medical records, and then assigning codes which represent every step of the patient's experience with the physician to confirm what services were provided.||3,50,000 to 820,000|
|Pediatric Physician||Pediatric Physicians diagnose, treat, and help prevent children's diseases and injuries. They examine children regularly to assess their growth and development. They treat children who have minor illnesses, acute and chronic health problems, and growth and development concerns.||250,454 to 1,040,320|