M.Tech. Aerodynamics is a 2-year post-graduate degree course. This course focuses on High speed/Low-speed Aerodynamics acting in aviation, along with the high-performance computing and flight mechanics involved with an aircraft.
Students who have completed their bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution or university with at least 60% aggregate marks are eligible to apply for M. Tech Aerodynamics course.
Admission to M.Tech. Aerodynamics is offered through the entrance exam Candidates are selected based on the score secured in the entrance exam. Some of the top entrance exams are GATE, AP PGECET, GUJ-PGCET.
M.Tech. Aerodynamics is offered by the Government as well as Private Institutes. Some of the top colleges offering M.Tech. Aerodynamics are Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli, Anna University, Chennai, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore.
The average fee for the course ranges from INR 2 Lakh to INR 6 Lakh.
M.Tech. Aerodynamics students are taught Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, Avionics, Micro-Controller, unmanned aviation, etc.
After completion of M.Tech. Aerodynamics students can choose to get placed in the aviation industry, else they also have an option of a Ph.D. if they wish to study further. M.Tech. Aerodynamics graduates can get hired into various positions such as Aerospace Mechanical Engineer, Aircraft/Spacecraft Designer, Data Processing Manager, Aerospace Technician, etc.
Some of the top recruiters who recruit M.Tech. Aerodynamics graduates are ISRO, HAL, Airbus, Eaton, Honeywell, Tata, etc
M.Tech. Aerodynamics graduates can expect a salary up to INR 4 Lakh to INR 10 Lakh per annum as a base. However, the salary package increases depending on the expertise and experience of the individual.
M.Tech in Aerodynamics: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Masters of Technology in Aerodynamics|
|Eligibility||B.E./B. Tech with at least 60% aggregate|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2 Lakhs – INR 6 LPA.|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 4,00,000 - 12,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||ISRO, HAL, Airbus, Eaton, Honeywell, Tata, etc|
|Job Positions||Flight Performance expert, Rotor expert, Aerodynamicist, Aerodynamics Engineer in Defence, etc|
M.Tech in Aerodynamics: Admission Process
Candidates are selected based on the score secured in the exam. After the successful conduct of the exam, candidates need to qualify the cut-off list announced by the colleges offering M.Tech. Aerodynamics admission.
Following steps should be accomplished when applying for M.Tech. Aerodynamics
- Register on the official website of the college.
- After registration, fill the application form with details like name, qualification, address, etc.
- Upload the necessary documents for verification.
- Pay the application fee and download the fee receipt.
- Download the admit card for the entrance examination.
- Appear for the entrance exam and wait for the results.
M.Tech in Aerodynamics: Eligibility Criteria
The candidates applying for admission for M.Tech. Aerodynamics must have the basic eligibility requirements as per the requirements of the university
- Candidates must have had a science stream in the 10+2 level.
- Candidates who have graduated in B. Tech/B.E. from a recognized university with at least 60% aggregate marks can apply.
- Students having a Bachelor’s of Science background in the relevant field and have completed MSc as well are also eligible to apply.
M.Tech in Aerodynamics: Entrance Exams
The admission criteria for M.Tech. Aerodynamics is through entrance exams. The details regarding the entrance exam are as follows:
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date|
|AP-PGECET||Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam||1st week of May 2021|
|OJEE||Odisha Joint Entrance Examination committee||1st week of May 2021|
|GUJ PGCET||Admission Committee for Professional Courses||2nd week of July 2021|
|TANCET||Anna University||March 21, 2021|
|KPGCET||Karnataka Examination Authority||October 2021|
How to prepare for M.Tech. Aerodynamics Entrance Exams?
Candidates need to keep the following points in mind while preparing for the exam:
- Make a timetable and adhere to it.
- Refer to reference books
- Write clear notes for your own understanding
- Understanding the basic concepts.
- Revise and Just Revise
- Allocate time to each section
- Practice mock exams and previous year question papers.
How to get Admission to a good college?
In order to get admission to a good or top-ranked medical college, candidates should keep the following points in mind:
- Colleges having a diploma in postgraduate in mass communication usually take up candidates based on entrance examinations and merit.
- To get admission to a good college, candidates need to clear the entrance examination and interview if the college has any.
- Keep an update about the deadlines for submission of the application forms.
- Consider and compare placement opportunities of the colleges.
M.Tech in Aerodynamics: What is it About?
The details for the course are as follows:
- M.Tech. Aerodynamics, in general, is the study of how air interacts with bodies in motion. It is mostly concerned with the forces of drag, lift, thrust, and weight hence is mainly done in regards to an aircraft. This course majorly leans towards the technical study and application of practical aspects of the mechanical technologies that are usually concerned with an aircraft or a similar entity
- M.Tech. Aerodynamics focuses to impart knowledge about how machines fly and how to improve the flight, which may range from making the flights and aviation devices safe to coming up with new innovative methods and techniques to support the same.
- The course equips the students with the gears to innovate and create breakthroughs in improved flight mechanics, design and develop better flight machines that can withstand natural aerodynamic forces and make aviation effective.
Why study M.Tech Aerodynamics?
Some of the reasons that make M.Tech. Aerodynamics a good option to opt for are as follows:
- It plays an important role in designing not just aircraft, but wind turbine projects, race cars, etc are also few fields out of aerospace where aerodynamics is used.
- The most crucial part that Aerodynamics plays would be of making the everyday flight travel safe, along with reducing the impact of air travel on the environment.
- From the future point of view, a Master’s degree in Aerodynamics can offer multiple possibilities for research as well as practical career options in not just aerospace, but also in academics, various energy projects, supercar industries, etc, exposing aerodynamicists to a vast variety of public and private sectors.
- Air travel is one the most prominent mode of travel and it is an ever-booming industry which is expected to see lots of improvements and revolutions, hence an aerodynamicist will find ample opportunities in various domains of aviation and avionics.
M.Tech. in Aerodynamics: Top Colleges
Below is a list of few institutes in India that offers M. Tech. in Aerodynamics along with their details.
M.Tech. Aerodynamics: Syllabus
The various subjects and topics taught during M. Tech. Aerodynamics course is tabulated below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Introduction to Flight||Computational Fluid Dynamics|
|Aerodynamics of Aerospace Vehicles||Aerodynamics Lab|
|Gas Dynamics||Institute Elective|
|Elective I||Elective II|
|Communication Skills||Elective III|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|M. Tech. Project I||M. Tech. Project II|
|Elective IV||Elective VI|
M.Tech. Aerodynamics: Recommended Books
|Introduction to Flight||John D. Anderson|
|Fundamentals of Aerodynamics||Anderson J D|
|Aerodynamics for Engineers||Bertin J. J.|
|Theoretical Aerodynamics||L M Milne-Thomson|
M.Tech. Aerodynamics: Course Comparison
The course comparison between M.Tech Aerodynamics and M.Tech Aerospace is tabulated below:
|Parameters||M.Tech Aerodynamics||M.Tech Aerospace|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Focus Area||M.Tech. Aerodynamics is a 2-year post-graduate degree course. This course focuses on High speed/Low-speed Aerodynamics acting in aviation, along with the high-performance computing and flight mechanics involved with an aircraft||Master of Technology in Aerospace Engineering is a two year post graduate course in Aerospace Engineering components and elements related to aeronautical science and is actively pursued by candidates who wish to build their career in designing, manufacturing and developing aerospace technology.|
|Eligibility Criteria||B.E./B. Tech in aerodynamics with at least 60% marks||B.E./B. Tech in aerospace engineering with atleast 50% marks|
|Average Course Fees||INR 2,00,000 - INR 10,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - INR 6,00,000|
|Job Options||Flight Performance expert, Rotor expert, Aerodynamicist, Aerodynamics Engineer in Defence, etc||Research associates, engineers and executives, flight operations head, R & D executive, research scientist etc.|
|Top Recruiters||ISRO, HAL, Airbus, Eaton, Honeywell, Tata, etc||Hindustan aeronautics limited, DRDO, ISRO, Indigo, TATA, Jet Airways and spice jet|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,00,000 - 12,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - 17,00,000|
M.Tech. Aerodynamics: Future Scope
Successful postgraduates of the course are lucratively hired in capacities such as Team Lead, Managers, and Avionics Engineers in both defense and airline industries in India and abroad.
The average annual salary offered to such postgraduates ranges between INR 35, 000 and 40,000 monthly.
M.Tech. Aerodynamics: Job Prospects
Few job options and positions are listed in the table below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay|
|Consultants||Consultants are the experts in their field and are paid to give their opinion. They spend their time learning everything they can about a particular product or service and work with customers to find out their needs and how the product or service would fit those needs.||INR 5,93,252|
|Thermal Design Engineers||Thermal Design Engineers typically execute Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations, involving airflow and thermal analyses, and oversee the engine’s thermal management.||INR 3,31,401|
|Mechanical Design Engineers||Mechanical Design Engineers evaluate mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and conducting research programs, applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, heat transfer, and materials.||INR 6,00,087|
|Aerospace Technologist||An Aerospace Technologist is responsible for installing parts and systems to be tested, and monitoring the production of aircraft systems to ensure that they are of the highest quality. They resolve problems with aircraft components.||INR 8,19,946|
|Aircraft Production Manager||Aircraft Production Managers are responsible for day-to-day manufacturing operations to ensure that the highest level of efficiency, quality, and on-time delivery is maintained at all times. They develop manufacturing processes and tooling to support HAECO production requirements.||INR 7,18,149|
|Assistant Technical Officers||An Assistant Technical Officer is also sometimes known as a Clinical Support Worker. They work in healthcare science, specifically in pathology and work alongside doctors and scientists. They work in pathology laboratories, in wards, or in clinics.||INR 2,11,804|
|Aerospace Design Checker||Aerospace Design Checker review Statement of Work and verify that all information needed to complete design is available. If information is unavailable, they communicate their needs to the Design Manager & Project Manager.||INR 8,19,946|
M.Tech. Aerodynamics: FAQs
Ques. Is Aerodynamics a good degree and career option to pursue?
Ques. Is it worth pursuing a Ph.D. in Aerodynamics as a future option?
Ques. In Aerodynamics, what is the career scope?
Ques. Can M. Tech graduates in Aerodynamics from India get recruited in International Companies?
Ques. Can a graduate from different background, such as computers or electronics pursue M. Tech in Aerodynamics?
Ques. Is M. Tech in Aerodynamics difficult?
Ques. Is it difficult to get admission in M. Tech in Aerodynamics?
If you prepare and study well, get up to date with the facts, and are thorough with your subject, then getting through GATE is comparatively easy. As well prepared you are for the exam, better score/rank you shall obtain, which will eventually place you in a good spot in the institution of your choice.
Apart from this, if you have a good track record in your undergraduate career and are through with the minimum required aggregate, then it is smooth sailing in the admission process.
Ques. Which is better, Aerodynamics or Aerospace engineering?
As far as the compensation is concerned, it is variable and, in some cases, one earns more than the latter or vice versa.