What is MTech Chemical Engineering?
MTech Chemical Engineering is a two year post graduation degree which will provide theoretical as well as practical knowledge that is required to be registered as a professional Chemical Engineer.
Being a specialization nursing degree, the course will particularly focus on Chemical Process Modelling and Fluid Mechanics. The course involves extensive study and research work on different topics of Chemical Engineering.
The basic eligibility to pursue MTech is BTech/BE. Students will have the opportunity in choosing national or international elective modules at the end of second semester and also an internship. The average fee of M.Tech in Chemical Engineering is INR 1,00,000.
Some of the top colleges for pursuing MTech Chemical Engineering are
|COLLEGE||CITY||ADMISSION PROCESS||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEE||AVERAGE SALARY|
|IIT Kharagpur||Kharagpur||Entrance Based||INR 2,30,000||INR 4,60,000|
|IIT Madras||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 2,10,000||INR 4,71,000|
|IIT Delhi||New Delhi||Entrance Based||INR 52,900||INR 5,40,000|
|IIT Bombay||Mumbai||Entrance Based||INR 32,000||INR 5,20,00|
|NIT Trichy||Tiruchirappalli||Entrance Based||INR 99,250||INR 5,00,00|
MTech Chemical Engineering focuses both in practical and theoretical knowledge distinctive to Fluid Dynamics,Process Engineering and Product Development.The students who enrol for Masters in Chemical Engineering ,majority of them pursue PhD later on.Even if the student do not opt for higher studies they easily manage to earn 40000 per month.
Diverse roles are offered to MTech graduate students such as Process Engineer, Product Engineer, Plant Designer,Process Designer and so on.
Read more: Top MTech Chemical Engineering Colleges
What is the MTech Chemical Engineering Admission Process?
The admission procedure for M.Tech in India can vary little according to rules and guidelines set by the institutes. A two year full time postgraduate programme.The candidates who are interested in the Masters program can apply to the respective colleges or Universities through online portal or offline mode (KPGCET is conducted in offline mode) with required information.
- Most universities have the entrance based admission system while some of them have provision for merit basis admission.
- The merit basis admission on the marks of the graduation i.e. BTech Chemical Engineering/BTech in any stream of Engineering.
How to get Admission in top MTech Chemical Engineering colleges?
Entrance based admission are done through the following steps :
- In case of PGCET, candidates have to register and then wait for the notification of availability of online application which is mostly in the month of May.
- After filling up the application with the correct details where one month is given for completing and finally submitting the application.
- Uploading the required documents and paying the application fee is a crucial step otherwise the application will not be accepted.
- Candidates are allowed to apply to as many universities for the MTech programme but a sorting out of top 3 institutes is always a better option.
- The Entrance exam gives the option to choose from many exam centres according to the convenience of the candidate.
- An address of Correspondence and details of the last qualifying exam have to be given after getting the application ID.
- Candidates need to sit for the exam on the given date as mentioned in the website and admit card .
- After the declaration of results, institutes will release their cut off .Only those candidates who have managed to clear the cut off will be called for taking admission in the given course.
What is Eligibility Criteria for MTech Chemical Engineering?
The eligibility criteria for MTech Chemical Engineering is very basic though it can vary from institutes to institutes.The compulsory criteria is mentioned below
- A graduate with a B.E/B.Tech degree from a recognized college in a relevant field.
- The candidate must have secured at least 55% in their graduation(special provision for reserved candidates).
- Candidates who are in their final year of examination or yet to receive the results can also apply for the programme.
What are the top MTech Chemical Engineering Entrance Exams?
Most of the institutes like IIT,NIT have entrance based admission and B.E/B.Tech marks are also required during the time of final counselling.
- GATE: All India Level Exam where the conducting bodies are IITs and IIScs. It is a Computer Based Exam which is conducted once in every year.The GATE Exam 2021 will be conducted in February.
- PGCET: The conducting body is Karnataka Examination Authority. It is a pen and paper based exam of 150 minutes. Candidates can claim seats in Hyderabad Karnataka region.
Some of popular entrance examination for Chemical Engineering are
How to Prepare for MTech Chemical Engineering Entrance Exams?
The entrance exams are conducted in Online and Offline mode with 75 multiple choice questions divided into Part A and Part B .The mode may vary due to the pandemic .All the entrance exams can be in CBT mode from now on.
- PGCET,GATE or private entrance examination has a similar pattern: Verbal Ability, English Comprehension, General Aptitude and Numerical Problems.
- Solving more and more mock tests and previous year question paper in a given time frame will prove to be very beneficial.
- Online sources like NPTEL,GATE Official website will help the candidate to prepare better amidst the lockdown.
- The second phase after qualifying the entrance ,which is solely done on the merit basis ,is the personal interview conducted by the respective universities.
- The candidates need to carefully study the exam pattern and the syllabus.
- Clearing up basic concepts of Chemical Engineering will be beneficial even for the Interview Round.
How to get Admission in top MTech Chemical Engineering colleges?
In order to get admission and study in the best colleges MTech Chemical Engineering these are some of the following points
- A research of the top colleges and the curriculum for MTech Chemical Engineering.
- The syllabus,faculty,career options should be the guiding step to filter out colleges according to the candidate’s ease of access.
- Constant checking of the updates and notifications is important.
- Having a talk with the Seniors about the prospect can help in choosing the best college .
- Preparing for the entrance before hand as per the syllabus given.
- Practice,brushing up on knowledge and then clearing the cut off will only fetch the candidate their ideal institute.
- Reservation quota is always present in the top institutions.
- A good score in GATE can fetch the candidate the best institute for MTech CE.
MTech Chemical Engineering: What is it About?
MTech Chemical Engineering which primarily imparts knowledge and concepts on Thermodynamics, Process Control, Fluid Dynamics.
- The course involves extensive study and research work on different topics of Chemical Engineering.
- Mathematical and Statistical Methods are a part of the curriculum of IITs like IIT Bombay which makes the course versatile.
- Candidates gain an in-depth insight on theory and practical parts of Chemical Management, Extraction and Separation Techniques.
- This course prepares students to be placed in the leading petrochemical companies and oil refineries like ONGC and BPCL.
- Candidates can also work on Water Treatment Plants,Pharmaceutical Industry and FMCGs after MTech.
MTech Chemical Engineering Course Highlights
Highlights of MTech Chemical Engineering is given in the tabulated form below with basic information related to Chemical Engineering
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Master of Technology in Chemical Engineering|
|Examination type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in Graduation (BE/BTech)|
|Admission Process||Valid score in GATE|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 - 6,00,000 (varies country wise)|
|Top Recruiters||Reliance Industries, Hindustan Unilever, Larsen and Toubro Ltd, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd(BPCL) .|
|Job Profile||Process Engineer, Production Engineer, Plant Designer, Head Plant Engineer, Head Chemical Engineer, Quality Control Manager.|
|Employment Areas||Chemical Production and Process Companies, Pharmaceutical, Synthetics, Plastics, Paint, Polymer manufacture, Water treatment plant, Food Manufacturer, Petrochemical Companies and Oil Refineries.|
Why MTech Chemical Engineering?
Chemical Engineering provides a platform to build the confidence for candidates who are extremely passionate about physical chemistry by developing the skill through academics.
- It is a practical work based subject so it needs improvement through extensive research work and practicals during the course by analysing the subject.
- Immediate hand on application thorough Internship is the highlight of this course.Students get to learn and perform that is how the curriculum is set up.
- MTech Chemical Engineering flows around several disciplines before choosing the specialisation like Fluid Mechanics,Computing skill,Statistical Method,Quality Control, Chemical Extraction Technology.
- The continuous adaptive learning by expanding the skill set in response to the new developments and changing environment.
- In this 2 year programme the students are prepared to be job ready with the immediate completion of the course.
- Students can pursue research at Centres of Eminence at National and International Level.
- Postgraduates are offered jobs in the Refinery Industry for the role of Process Designer,Head Plant Manager.
- The average annual salary can be from INR 3,50,000 to 7,00,000 in the top notch reputed Maharatnas.
Course Comparison: MTech Chemical Engineering Vs MTech ECE
Two of the common degrees evaluated in Masters Program for Engineering are MTech CE and MTech ECE on the basis of a few parameters.
|PARAMETERS||MTech Chemical Engineering||MTech Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Course Name||Master of Technology in Chemical Engineering||Master of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Overview||MTech is a 2 year program with all the subjects that is offered in Fluid Mechanics, Chemical Process Designing, Advanced Chemical Engineering.||MTech in ECE is a 2 year programme designed to know about the design, manufacture,installation, operation, and maintenance of electronic equipment and systems.|
|Admission procedure||The admission is mainly done by the score in the entrance examination like self conducted exams, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering , Common Entrance Test,Karnataka Post Graduate Common Entrance Test which is conducted nationally.||The admission is mainly done by score in the entrance examination which is conducted nationally like all other M.Tech courses or private entrance examination is conducted for some group of institutions like IITs like GATE,CET.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 1,50,000||Within INR 2,00,000|
|Syllabus||Advanced Process Control, Chemical Reactor Analysis and Design, Fluidization Engineering, Advanced Reaction Engineering.||MEMS, Cryptography, Electromagnetic theory, Digital Design, Control System, Signal and Systems, Information Theory and Coding, Data Communication Network.|
|Top Institutes||NIT Trichy, IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur||NIT Rourkela, IITS Delhi Technological University, IIT Roorkee, IIT Madras|
|Job Profile||Teacher, Researcher, Process Engineer, Project Manager, Head Plant Manager, Quality Control Manager, Plant Designer, Head Chemical Engineer.||Production Manager, Programme Analyst, Electronics Hardware Development Engineer, Product Line Engineer.|
|Average Annual salary||INR 4,00,000 – 70,00,000||INR 5,00,000-7,00,000|
MTech Chemical Engineering Top Colleges
These are some of the top universities for Master of Technology in Chemical Engineering in India with the geographical location,fees ,and annual expected salary mentioned as follows
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|IIT Kharagpur||Kharagpur||INR 2,30,000||INR 4,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|NIT Trichy||Tiruchirappalli||INR 99,250||INR 3,20,00 - 5,00,000|
|IIT Bombay||Bombay||INR 32,000||INR 3,80,000 - 6,00,000|
|IIT Madras||Mumbai||INR10,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|IIT Delhi||Bangalore||INR 52,900||INR 4,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|IIT Roorkee||Roorkee||INR 30,500||INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000|
|IIT BHU||Varanasi||INR 36,815||INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000|
MTech Chemical Engineering College Comparison
Comparison between the top three institutes for MTech Chemical Engineering on the basis of few parameters are given
|PARAMETERS||NIT Trichy||IIT MADRAS||IIT KHARAGPUR|
|Overview||National Institute of Technology ,Tiruchirappalli is one of the leading colleges promising to generate creative and leading chemical engineers.||One of best engineering colleges in India with the best of faculties though the admission cut off is quite stringent.||IIT Kharagpur is one of the Oldest IITs with the best quality design education,high impact dedicated Research.|
|Eligibility||BTech with 55% in Chemical Engineering||BTech with minimum 55% aggregate||BE/BTech with minimum 55%|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Fee||INR 99,250||INR 2,11,000||INR 2,31,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 7,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 8,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 7,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Jacobs Engineering, Evonik, Intel, Godavari Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd.||Chevron,Henkel, Shell,Rio Tento, Reliance Industries Limited.||Larson and Toubro Ltd, Hindustan Unilever, Oil and Natural Gas Co, Bharat Petroleum Co. Ltd.|
MTech Chemical Engineering Syllabus
Master of Technology in Chemical Engineering is a vast stream with various region of specialization.The table below includes all the subjects that are taught in the entire MTech Chemical Engineering program
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Advanced Process Control||Advances in Fluidization Engineering|
|Process Modelling and Simulation||Chemical Process Design|
|Chemical Reactor Analysis and Design||Nanotechnology|
|Computational Techniques in Chemical Engineering||Polymer Dynamics|
|Advanced Separation Process||Fuel Cell Technology|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Bioprocess Engineering||Process Optimization|
|Multiphase Flow||Ecology for Engineers|
|Industrial Energy Systems||Computational Fluid Dynamics|
|Wastewater and Solid Waste Treatment||Bio Energy and Bio Refinery Engineering|
|Project Work – Phase I||Project Work – Phase II|
MTech Chemical Engineering: Important Books
Some of the academic books with the name of the author are mentioned which are followed by these top institutes are
|Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics :Special Indian Edition||J.M. Smith, H.C. Ness|
|Rule of Thumb for Chemical Engineers||Stephen M Hall|
|Fine Chemicals Manufacture : Technology and Engineering||Andrzej Cybulski, Jacob A. Moulijn|
|Product and Process Design Principles : Synthesis,Analysis and Evaluation||Seider, Seader, Lewin ,Widagdo|
|Chemical Process Design and Integration||Robin Smith|
|Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering||Warren McCabe,Julian Smith, Peter Harriott|
MTech Chemical Engineering Jobs
A MTech is enough to get into entry level jobs in reputed company.Internships which are included in the curriculum of MTech programs can help for a swift promotion later. After graduating as a Chemical Engineer one can look for Government Jobs as well as in MNCs.
Immediate Job Position offered after MTech Chemical Engineering :
|Job Profile||Job description||Average Annual Salary|
|Process Engineer||They are responsible for developing new industrial processes and designing new process plants and equipment.||INR 4,70,000|
|Production Engineer||They work on how the product will be manufactured and assembled on the production line like the right quantity of components and product packaging.||INR 4,50,000|
|Project Manager||They work on resource planning, researching for scope, overall supervision, cost estimation, time estimation and documentation.||INR 5,20,000|
|Head Plant Manager||They direct and coordinate daily operations of the manufacturing plant, developing processes to increase efficiency.||INR 5,00,000|
|Plant Designer||They examine the designs and evaluate changes, optimize facilities for safe and effective flow of work .||INR 5,20,000|
|Quality Control Manager||They ensure quality of the initial startup of new or modified product manufacturing,||INR 4,80,000|
MTech Chemical Engineering Future Scope
There are several academic options after MTech the student can go for a Post Graduate diploma program in Fluidization Engineering and PhD in the areas of Chemical Engineering like Chemical Thermodynamics and Reaction Engineering.
- The expected growth in the field of Chemical Engineer is 15% which is higher than many of the other jobs .
- This is a very modern field which deals with Fluid Dynamics,Chemical Processing and CAD,the passion for updating knowledge can help in achieving great heights in the future.
- After two year of the postgrad course ,students will be ready to join industries and develop themselves as professionals or one can pursue PhD .
- For PhD and PostDoc in Chemical Engineering the remuneration ranges from USD 1000 - USD 1500 and USD 1800 - USD 2500 respectively.
MTech Chemical Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between normal engineers and chemical engineers ?
Ques. What makes MTech Chemical Engineering so popular ?
Ques. What are the areas of work of a MTech Chemical Engineering ?
Ques. Name some entrance tests for MTech Chemical Engineering?
Ques. Who are the popular recruiters in this field ?
Ques. Does MTech and MSc have the same value ?
Ques. What are the academic options after MTech Chemical Engineering ?