Master of Technology or MTech Civil Engineering is a 2 year postgraduate technical program which deals with designing, supervision and building of roads, bridges, tunnels, buildings, airports, dams, sewage systems, ports etc.
- TANCET 2021 registrations are open from 19 January click here to apply.
Go through the full list of MTech Entrance Exams in India.
To be eligible for the MTech Civil Engineering program, candidates must hold a BE or BTech degree in Civil Engineering, B Planning or any other equivalent degree. The candidates must also have an aggregate of at least 55% at the UG level.
Admission to MTech Civil Engineering programs will be done based on the candidate's performance in the entrance exam. The most popular entrance exam for MTech Civil Engineering is GATE.
There are a large number of colleges in India that offer MTech Civil Engineering courses. Some of the top institutes offering MTech Civil Engineering course are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2021||Name of the College||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|6||IIT, Kanpur||Through GATE||INR 2,14,050||INR 11,88,000|
|33||National Institute of Technology, Surathkal||Through GATE||INR 99,926||INR 9,59,850|
|82||Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida||Through GATE||INR 1,50,000||INR 7,89,000|
|98||Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune||Through GATE||INR 50,000||INR 12,85,000|
|104||IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar||Through GATE||INR 79,150||INR 7,28,000|
The average annual fees for MTech Civil Engineering in India ranges between INR 50,000 - 4,50,000, depending on the type of institute offering the course.
Read more on Top MTech Civil Engineering Colleges in India.
On completion of MTech Civil Engineering, students will get jobs as Coordinator, Draftsman, Civil Engineering Specialist, City Planner, Building Designer, Project Engineer etc.
The average annual starting salary for MTech Civil Engineering postgraduates in India range between INR 7,00,000 - 13,00,000 depending on candidate’s expertise in the concerned field.
What is the Admission Process for MTech Civil Engineering?
Most of the institutes and universities in India offer admission to MTech Civil Engineering program based on candidate’s performance in the postgraduate entrance examination such as GATE.
Candidates have to follow the below mentioned steps in order to apply for entrance-based admission:
- Step 1: Online Registration: First of all, aspirants have to register themselves for the entrance test by providing their email id, mobile number and password after which a login id will be generated.
- Step 2: Filling up of application form: On creation of the login id, candidates then have to fill up the application form by providing their personal and academic details and enter the details of the course which you are opting for.
- Step 3: Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as photograph, signature, id proof, Graduation degree etc.
- Step 4: Application Fee: On uploading the required documents, students have to pay the requisite amount of application fee using Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
- Step 5: Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the form for future references.
- Step 6: Issue of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Step 7: Entrance Examination: After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates need to appear for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
- Step 8: Declaration of Result: In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Step 9: Group Discussion and Personal Interview: The selected candidates have to appear for further admission rounds such as group discussion and personal interview.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for MTech Civil Engineering?
Students who wish to pursue MTech in Civil Engineering course are required to follow the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- The candidates must hold a BE or BTech degree in Civil Engineering or BPlanning or any other equivalent degree from a recognized university.
- Candidates must have secured an aggregate of at least 55% in Bachelor’s degree examination.
- Candidates must be medically fit.
Which Entrance Exams are Required for Admission to MTech Civil Engineering?
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer this postgraduate degree program conduct an entrance test for admission to this course.
Some of the top MTech Civil Engineering entrance examinations are:-
- GATE 2021 -Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted by IIT for admission into various programs including MTech Civil Engineering. It is a computer-based test which comprises a total of 65 questions in each paper that need to be completed in 3 hours.
- AMU EEE 2021 – Aligarh Muslim University Engineering Entrance Examination is mandatory for admission to engineering courses in the Aligarh Muslim University.
- Karnataka PGCET 2020 – Karnataka Postgraduate Common Entrance Test is conducted for admission into various programs including MTech Civil Engineering.It is an online examination that needs to be completed in 150 minutes.
|Name of the Test||Conducting Body||Date of Application||Date of Entrance test||Mode of Examination|
|GATE||IIT Council||September 14 - 30, 2020||February 5 - 7 & 12 - 14, 2020||Computer-Based|
|AMU EEE||AMU||August 14 - 28, 2020||To be notified||Computer-Based|
|Karnataka PGCET||Karnataka Examination Authority||August 14 - 20, 2020||October 6 - 7, 2020||Offline|
How to prepare for MTech Civil Engineering Entrance Exams?
Candidates are advised to follow the below-mentioned points while preparing for MTech Civil Engineering entrance test in order to score well in the entrance examinations:
- Syllabus and question structure: Students must have a concrete idea of the syllabus of the exam and the question paper.
- Previous-year Question Papers: The students are advised to go through the previous year’s question paper thoroughly. This will help them to understand the type of questions asked in the examination.
- Time Management: This is the most important aspect of one’s preparation, so students are recommended to make a proper time table and follow the same strictly and they should practice time-based papers.
How to Get Admission to a Good MTech Civil Engineering College?
- You can get your seat confirmed in a good college if you hold a sound academic record in your Bachelor’s degree and also based on your performance in various national or state level entrance tests.
- The higher the score in the entrance test, the better will be the chances of getting admission in the top MTech colleges across India.
- It is also very important to be prepared both mentally and physically for further admission rounds i.e. Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
- Candidates must maintain a track of all the important events related to admission so that they will never miss any deadline.
- You should start preparing for MTech entrance exams as early as possible so you get plenty of time for your preparation for the exam.
- Practice a large number of sample papers as you can in order to enhance your time management skills.
Go through the complete list of GATE subject wise cutoffs.
MTech Civil Engineering: What is it about?
Some of the important points pertaining to MTech Civil Engineering course are as follows:
- This course basically provides students a platform with which they will be able to discover the extent to shape up the buildings, dams, roads, railways and repair the existing constructions to develop societies and cities.
- On completion of this course, you will be able to become a Civil Engineer and work towards the development of the city you live in.
- The syllabus of MTech Civil Engineering offers students a vast knowledge of Rock Mechanics, Soil Foundation Engineering, Design of Foundation Systems and many more.
- Every year, lakhs of students get an MTech degree in Civil Engineering. This depicts that MTech Civil Engineering is pretty popular among students and their value will definitely increase in near future.
- With the help of this course, students will be able to acquire knowledge which is very important to build and manage all the buildings, transport networks, water and power supplies.
MTech Civil Engineering Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are provided in the table given below:
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||B.Tech. degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based admission followed by Group Discussion and Interview or Direct Admission.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 4,50,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 7,00,000 to 13,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Bharat Earth Movers Limited, MMTC Limited, National Fertilizers Limited, HCC, Unitech, Jaypee Group, Aditya Birla Group etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Process Engineer, Structural Engineer, Civil Engineer, Project Manager, Senior Civil Engineer etc.|
Why Study MTech Civil Engineering?
There are many benefits of pursuing an MTech Civil Engineering course. Some of the prominent ones are as follows: -
- After getting an MTech degree in Civil Engineering, students easily get jobs as a Process Engineer, Structural Engineer, Civil Engineer etc. in any of the manufacturing units and other construction firms.
- Students who are creative are well-suited for this job as this course will not provide a limited 9 to 5 job or monotonous office work. This program will enable students to show their spirit and skills of creativity and critical thinking.
- Students can opt for jobs in numerous sectors such as Processing and Manufacturing Units, Construction Sites, Developers etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered to MTech Civil Engineering degree holders with the average salary of INR 3,00,000 - 8,00,000 Per Annum.
MTech Civil Engineering and MTech Structural Engineering
Both MTech Civil Engineering and MTech Structural Engineering are technical courses and are pretty popular among students owing to a wide range of career options. The key points of difference between the above two courses are provided in the table below:
|Parameters||MTech Civil Engineering||MTech Structural Engineering|
|Qualification||Master of Technology in Civil Engineering||Master of Technology in Structural Engineering|
|Course Overview||This is basically a general course which is particularly related to construction activities and maintenance of the same.||This course is basically a sub-stream of Civil Engineering which involves fundamental principles of Structural Analysis|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to 4,50,000||INR 80,000 to 6,00,000|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.||Hold a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Civil Engineering with an aggregate of at least 55% from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based followed by Group Discussion and Interview||Entrance-Based followed by Group Discussion and Interview|
|Top Colleges||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, NIT Surathkal, Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune etc.||Sharda University, MVJ College of Engineering, Amrita University etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 7,00,000 to 13,00,000||INR 4,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||NFL, Unitech, HCC, Aditya Birla Group Ltd.||Larsen and Toubro Ltd., Reliance Construction, SAP, ITC etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Civil Engineer, Plant Manager, Process Engineer etc.||Structural Engineer, Design Engineer, Structural Consultant etc.|
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top Colleges for MTech Civil Engineering?
Some of the top colleges offering MTech Civil Engineering program are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2021||Name of the College||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|6||IIT Kanpur||INR 2,14,050||INR 11,88,000|
|33||National Institute of Technology, Surathkal||INR 99,926||INR 9,59,850|
|82||Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida||INR 1,50,000||INR 7,89,000|
|98||Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune||INR 50,000||INR 12,85,000|
|104||I.K. Gujral Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar||INR 79,150||INR 7,28,000|
|141||College of Technology, GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pant Nagar||INR 50,798||INR 7,56,000|
|151||Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai||INR 1,25,500||INR 8,15,000|
|151||Shoolini University, Solan||INR 1,29,757||INR 8,25,000|
|157||Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata||INR 81,200||INR 8,58,000|
|168||Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli||INR 96,930||INR 8,05,200|
Source: College Websites
MTech Civil Engineering College Comparison
The basic difference between the top universities/ institutes offering MTech Civil Engineering program for the convenience of students is provided in the table given below:
|Name of the College/ University||Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur|
|Overview||Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology is a public state university which offers a total of 266 programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research level.||The Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur is a public technical and research university which is located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. This institute offers a large number of programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research level.|
|Location||Kolkata||Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline||Hold a B.Tech. degree in relevant discipline.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based (GATE 2021)||Entrance-Based (GATE 2021)|
|Average Semester Fees||INR 81,200||INR 2,14,050|
|Average Salary Package||INR 8,58,000||INR 11,88,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Aditya Birla Group, Reliance Industries, Infotech etc.||HCC, NFL, Jaypee Group etc.|
Source: College Websites
Which Subjects are Taught in MTech Civil Engineering Syllabus?
MTech Civil Engineering contains many elective subjects which may differ from college to college. The combined syllabus for MTech Civil Engineering is given in the table below.
|Year I||Year II|
|Engineering Properties of Soils Foundation Engineering||Advanced Rock Mechanics|
|Soil Dynamics and Machine Foundations||Geotechnical Exploration and Advanced Soil Testing|
|Rock Mechanics||Neuro-Fuzzy Applications in Civil Engineering|
|Earth Dams and Slope Stability||Case Histories in Geo-technical Engineering|
|Earth Pressure||Computer Aided Design of Foundations|
|Clay Mineralogy||Flow through Porous Media|
|Ground Improvement Engineering||Pavement Analysis and Design|
|Design of Foundation Systems||Engineering Geology|
|Soil-Structure Interaction||Modelling and Simulation|
|Environmental Impact Assessment||Computational and Statistical Methods|
What Jobs and Career Options are available for MTech Civil Engineering Candidates?
- There is no shortage of jobs for a postgraduate degree holder in Civil Engineering. With this degree, students will be able to find jobs in the market of Civil Engineers.
- Every year, large campus recruitment drives are organized by large companies collectively with an aim to hire students in bulk.
- Students holding MTech in Civil Engineering get jobs as a Builder, Civil Engineer in various fields, City Planner, Irrigation Engineer etc.
- Students can easily get jobs in public as well as in the private sector and work at various stages such as preparation of civil drawings, public health, rain water harvesting system and surveying among numerous others.
Some of the popular jobs available to MTech Civil Engineering degree holders along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Civil Engineer||The main job of a Civil Engineer is to conceive, design, build, supervise, operate, construct and maintain various infrastructure projects and systems in the private and public sector which includes roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges etc.||INR 5,70,000|
|Project Coordinator||Project Coordinator tends to work with numerous members of a particular project team and the client to prepare a timeline, create schedules and keep a check on the progress to make sure the goals are getting fulfilled.||INR 6,85,000|
|Senior Civil Engineer||The fundamental role of a Senior Civil Engineer is to supervise the designing and the building of various construction projects. A Senior Civil Engineer is basically involved in the planning process of projects||INR 8,00,000|
|Construction Plant Engineer||Plant Engineers basically work in manufacturing sites or power plants. They are responsible for designing, planning, installing and maintaining the plant systems, facilities and equipment.||INR 5,89,000|
|Planning Engineer||Planning Engineers tend to decide and prepare the most suitable economic models and engineering ways for a particular project. They are known for working in a variety of fields including Civil Engineering or Construction.||INR 7,58,000|
What is the Future Scope After MTech Civil Engineering?
After completing MTech Civil Engineering course, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions.
- With an MTech degree in Civil Engineering, students will be able to make their career in the field of Civil Engineering as a Civil Engineer, Project Manager, Junior Engineer in CPWD and many more.
- There are several areas both in the private as well as in the public sector where an MTech degree holder in Civil Engineering may find work.
- Students can choose any of the careers in accordance to their skills and interests.
- After completion of MTech in Civil Engineering, one can also opt for a PhD in Civil Engineering. As this is the highest honorary degree so it will definitely get you a highest paid position in some of the top firms.
MTech Civil Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the full form of MTech Civil Engineering?
Ans. The full form of MTech Civil Engineering is Master of Technology in Civil Engineering.
Ques. Which branch is best for pursuing MTech Civil Engineering?
Ans. Usually, Structural Engineering is considered the most preferred branch for MTech Civil Engineering. However, it totally depends on one’s interest.
Ques. What after MTech Civil Engineering?
Ans. After pursuing MTech Civil Engineering program, you can opt for jobs as a Project Manager, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer etc. or you can also go for further studies such as Ph.D. in Civil Engineering.
Ques. What are the admission criteria for admission to MTech Civil Engineering courses in Indian colleges/ universities?
Ans. Most of the Indian colleges/ universities offer admission to this course based on the candidate's performance in GATE 2021 followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview. However, there are some universities which offer admission to students based on their performance in the postgraduate examination.
Ques. Where can I pursue an MTech Civil Engineering program in India?
Ans. Some of the top universities and institutes offering MTech Civil Engineering Program in India are provided in the table below:
Ques. Is MTech Civil Engineering a good career option?
Ans. Yes; MTech in Civil Engineering is a good career option and promises students a sound career in this field. One can become a Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer, Plant Manager etc. on completion of this course.
Ques. Is GATE mandatory to seek admission to MTech Civil Engineering course?
Ans. No; it is not mandatory to qualify GATE for admission to MTech Civil Engineering program. Some colleges offer admission based on the candidate's performance in the postgraduate examination.
Ques. Is MTech Civil Engineering easy?
Ans. MTech Civil Engineering is not at all difficult. It basically requires hard work. If you are clear with your mathematical concepts then it seems easy to you.
Ques. What is the scope of doing an MTech in Civil Engineering?
Ans. On completion of MTech Civil Engineering course, you can opt for jobs in various govt. or private sectors such as construction sites, retail industry, manufacturing units and many more.
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria to seek admission to MTech Civil Engineering program?
Ans. To be eligible to seek admission to MTech Civil Engineering course, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.