Master of Technology (M.Tech) in computer engineering is a postgraduate degree. Duration of course is 2 years. The course is divided into 4 semesters which includes theory+practical learning.
It is a computer engineering and application specialized course. The students who possess interest in computer applications can opt for this course.
The basic subjects taught during the course are Computer Architecture, system design, AI System, Cloud computing, data structures and algorithms, soft computing, image access and VLSI etc.
Candidates who have B.Tech/B.E degree and equivalent Computer Diploma are eligible for M.Tech in Computer Engineering. The average fees for the M.Tech in computer engineering varies between INR 50,000 to 2,00000 per annum.
|M.Tech Colleges in Delhi/NCR||M.Tech Colleges in Gujarat|
|M.Tech Colleges in Chennai||M.Tech Colleges in Maharashtra|
The average salary in the IT field is more than any other field in the current scenario. Private firms like Microsoft, Google, Adobe, Dell, Infosys, Tata industry, and many more are considered to be top recruiters.
Government sector is also in demand for computer engineers to develop the program of digital India. Post graduates of Computer Engineering get job profiles like Software developer, AI developer, IT specialist, Software program officer etc. Average salary offered in the placement drive of top institutions varies between INR 5,00000-10,00000.
M.Tech Computer Engineering Course Highlights
It is very important to understand the course before applying to it. This table covers all the aspects of the course which the student needs to know.
|Course level||Postgraduate degree program|
|Full Form||Master of technology in Computer Engineering|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam|
|Course fees||INR 50,000-2,00000|
|Average Placement salary||INR 5,40000|
|Top recruiters||Microsoft, Google, Adobe, PayPal, TCS, Infosys, Cognizant technology, Accenture, mcinsy, HP, Opel, etc|
|Job positions||Software Architect, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Software marketer, Software programmer , Desktop Support Engineer, Director of IT, Disaster Recovery Planners, EDP Computer Operator etc.|
M.Tech Computer Engineering Admission Process
Students who wish to take admission into the top college for M.tech in computer engineering need to qualify the GATE exam. These are the two famous engineering entrance exams to admission into M.Tech.
See Also: MTech Entrance Exams
How to apply?
GATE exams happen once in a year. The announcement of registration comes in the month of January. Candidates who wish to register for the exam can go on the registration link and fill all the mandatory details. After filling the form candidates need to pay the requisite amount to confirm the successful registration for the exam.
- Admit card: Admit cards will be issued prior to exam candidates can download their admit cards from the official website.
- Examination: Students need to prepare for the exams according to the prescribed syllabus to qualify the GATE exam. Students in order to understand the exact syllabus should study the format of previous year papers. It will be very helpful.
- Results: The result will be announced on the official website of GATE. Successful candidates can download their result. Students can go for various institutions according to the score and cutoff set by institutions.
- Counselling and Admission: Successful candidates according to their score in the GATE exam can appear for the counselling round. After the verification round University or college will release the list of admitted students.
SEE Also: M.Tech Admission 2021
Eligibility Criteria for M.Tech in Computer Engineering
Eligibility Criteria for M.Tech in Computer Engineering are as follows.
- Candidates should have passed the B.Tech/B.E Degree with 60% marks.
- Candidates should have passed the GATE exam.
- Reserved category candidates will get the relaxation of 5% according to the Government of India scene.
M.Tech in Computer Engineering Entrance Exams
Various central and state level exams are conducted for admission in M.Tech Computer Engineering. Some of the entrance exams are:
It is the main entrance exam for the admission into masters of technology in India. It is jointly conducted by 7 IITs. It is an online test of 3 hour. It is conducted in the month of February and the registration for the same starts in the month of November and December. Students will be tested on their previous knowledge of the subject.
It is conducted by Vellore institute of technology for it's M.Tech program at Vellore campus and Chennai campus. Candidates who will qualify the exam will get the admission in Vellore Institute of Technology. Exam duration of VITMEE is 2 hours. It's an online test. Application goes live in the month of March to register and the exam conducted in the month of July. Qualified students asked to appear for counselling in the month of July and August.
Tamilnadu Common Entrance Test which is a test for masters of technology conducted by Anna University on the behalf of the Tamilnadu government. Application released in the month of January and the exam will be conducted in the month of March.
Birla Institute of Technology Higher Degree exam is conducted by BIT to their masters program. This test is an online mode examination. The total duration for both papers is 3 hours. Qualified candidates asked to present with their documents to get the admission in BITS.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|GATE||7 Joint IIT||Feb 6- Feb 14 2021||ONLINE|
|TANCET||Anna University||21st March 2021||ONLINE|
|VITMEE||Vellore Institute of Science and Technology||First week of June 2021||ONLINE|
|BITSHD||Birla Institute of Technical Science||May 2021||ONLINE|
M.Tech Computer Engineering Entrance Exams Format
|No. Of sections in the exam||3(General aptitude, Engineering mathematics,Subject specified)||2||3(Basic Engineering sciences, Engineering mathematics, specified)|
|Types of questions asked||MCQ||MCQ||MCQ|
How to prepare for Entrance Exams?
It is very important to qualify the Entrance Exam to take the admission into the top and affordable institution. One must have the strategy to prepare for the exam in the correct manner.
- Understanding everything regarding the syllabus in the absence of understanding the syllabus it is very tough to prepare for the exams so one must be aware of the syllabus pattern on the Entrance Exam.
- After understanding the syllabus students should choose books wisely according to the level of exam.
- There are always some topics which are tough to deal with so students must spare more time for those kinds of topics.
- The GATE syllabus mostly covers the last year syllabus of B.Tech so students should have studied thoroughly the last year papers.
M.Tech Computer Engineering Syllabus
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Computer Organization and Architecture||Real time embedded systems|
|Data Structure and Algorithms||Cellular automata and its application|
|Systems Programming and Operating Systems||AI and neural networks|
|Distributed Computer systems||Object oriented information system design|
|Elective 1||Elective 3|
|Elective 2||Elective 4|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|VLSI system design||Final year project|
|Soft computing||Parallel Computing|
|Enterprise computing methodologies||Compiler construction|
|Advanced microprocessor||Image processing and pattern recognition|
|Elective 5||Courseware engineering|
M.Tech Computer Engineering Syllabus books
These are some important books which are very important throughout the duration of the course.
- Advance Algorithmic Analysis.
- High Performance Computer Architecture.
- Computer Graphics.
- Advance Computer Networks.
- Advanced Database Management Systems.
- Distributed Operating Systems.
- Operating Systems.
- Software Engineering.
M.Tech Computer Engineering Top Colleges in India
The value of the course depends on the institution. So one must take admission in a good college to secure a good career in future. Here is the list of famous and top colleges across the country.
|College/University name||Average fees in INR|
|IIT MADRAS||INR 2,00,000|
|IIT DELHI||INR 2,29,000|
|VELLORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY||INR 7,81,000|
|IIT BHUBANESWAR||INR 2,00,000|
|BITS PILANI||INR 2,50,000|
|DELHI TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY||INR 6,00,000|
There are various top government and private institutions who offer the M.Tech in Computer Engineering. Many of them also offer the dual degree system.
The future after doing the master of technology in computer engineering is so bright. The need of the hour is increasing the demand of the developed IT industry. Which also increases the demand of computer engineers and software developers. Students who want to pursue further study in the same field can opt MS/PHd in Computer Engineering.
Other than that students can also go for various certificate programs to get the specific knowledge of some topic.
M.Tech Computer Engineering College Comparison
Table below shows the comparison between two top-notch colleges for M.Tech Computer Engineering.
|Parameters||IIT Madras||IIT Delhi|
|Objective||Indian Institute of Technology, Madras is one of the top engineering colleges in the country and offers a large number of programs to students.||IIT Delhi has been ranked 2nd in the Engineering category and 3rd in overall category by NIRF Rankings 2021. This deemed college currently has a total strength of 5934 with over 800 female students across graduate and postgraduate programs.|
|NIRF Ranking 2021||1||2|
|Average Fee||INR 2,00,000||INR 2,29,000|
|Average Salary||INR 6,00,000||INR 5,40,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Microsoft, Google ,Adobe, paypal, Accenture etc.||Microsoft,genpact,Paytm, IBM,EXL Etc.|
Why should you study this particular course?
After doing the MTech in Computer Engineering students will get the following skills and career opportunities:
- Students will be able to apply the knowledge of computer science and mathematical engineering to adapt, synthesize and integrate the technologies to develop new computer systems.
- Students will be able to generate the new tools in the area of Information technology to solve the upcoming problems.
- Students will be able to design new systems which will be very helpful and efficient in the future.
- They will transfer the engineering methodologies to the various engineering communities in order to help the society at large.
- They will be able to understand the contemporary issue and will do the invention for the sustainable development of computer engineering.
M.Tech Computer Engineering: What is it about?
- M.Tech in Computer Engineering is the most sought after course in the field of engineering. We can understand its value by the GATE conduct exam of MTech Computer Engineering in two sessions.
- Specialization in Computer Engineering provides a great career in the field of engineering.
- This course covers an advanced level of knowledge in computer engineering as well as networking syllabus, algorithms, computer architecture and data bases.
- The first semester of MTech Computer Engineering covers the necessary knowledge in computer science.
- Remaining semester give further knowledge in the area of computer science and the computer system.
M.Tech Computer Engineering: Course comparison
M.Tech Computer Engineering vs Master of computer applications
The comparison of two most related courses always clarify the amidst confusion in choosing the course. In order to clear all the confusions regarding two most sought out courses of post graduation in Computer Sciences, here is the comparison.
|Parameters||M.tech computer engineering||Master of computer applications|
|Admission criteria||Entrance Exam||Entrance Exam|
|Course fees||INR 50,000-2,00000||INR 30,000-2,00000|
|Average salary||INR 5,40000||INR 4,00000|
|Job options||Software architect,IT developer,Hardware designer etc||As a Programmer,System analyst, internet expert,web designing specialist etc|
M.Tech Computer Engineering Job prospects
There are plenty of job profiles for M.Tech in Computer Engineering graduates. Some of the job profiles are Software Engineer, Android App Developer, Machine learning engineering etc. Some of the top recruiters are TCS, Honeywell, Paytm, Wipro, IBM, Infosys etc.
To provide you a complete view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Computer engineering postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Name of job||Role||Average salary in INR|
|Software Engineer||To develop coding and programming to run the system||INR 6,00000|
|Android app developer||In this role developers need to develop new android applications and to provide hassle free usage. It is a high demand job nowadays.||INR 5,60000|
|Machine learning engineering||To perform human-like tasks with the help of computers.||INR 6,50000|
|Test In Charge||The job of Test In chagres is to test bugs in software and user interface. They make sure software is bugs free and user friendly.||INR 2,50,000|
M.Tech Computer Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of the course?
Ans. The Duration of the course is two year. The course is divided into 4 semesters of 6 months each.
Ques. Can I apply for this course? I'm in my last year of B.Tech?
Ans. Yes, You can. According to the new guidelines of GATE
Ques. Is GATE entrance exam valid for admission in IIT?
Ans. Yes, GATE exam is valid everywhere in the country for the MTech.
Ques. What is the total intake of IIT Delhi of MTech Computer Engineering?
Ans. Total intake of IIT DELHI is Around 70-80.
Ques. What is the difficulty level of TANCET entrance exam?
Ans. If you are preparing for GATE then you can attempt TANCET easily.
Ques. Which college is better between Anna University and BITS PILANI?
Ans. The fees of Anna University is not so much so it is affordable for everyone while BITS is expensive. While BITS has more salary packages offered than Anna University so choose wisely.
Ques. Who is IIT is Conducting GATE this year?
Ans. IIT BOMBAY.
Ques. What is the entrance test name of BITS Pilani?
Ans. The name of BITS Pilani entrance exam is called BITS HD.
Ques. Does IIT Madras offer any scholarship?
Ans. Yes, there are many scholarship tests in the campus of IIT Madras.
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility for taking admission in the course?
Ans. Candidates should have passed the B.Tech/B.E Degree with 60% marks