Master of Technology in Computer Science or MTech Computer Science for short, is a 2 year postgraduate programme offered in engineering colleges and institutes. This a programme that focuses on building up industry ready practical skills for jobs. Similar programmes that are comparable to MTech Computer Science are MSc Computer Science or MCA in Computer Science.
The basic eligibility criteria for admission into the programme is that candidates need to have a BTech degree in Computer Science. A minimum aggregate score of at least 50% and above is necessary from a recognized university or institute.
The admissions process to admit new students is through entrance examinations. The most accepted entrance exam is GATE along with UPSEE, IPU CET etc. Candidates need to meet the qualifying marks in the entrance examinations in order to be admitted.
The average course fee charged for the programme is in the range of INR 1 lakh to INR 3 Lakhs. The course syllabus is divided into core subjects, electives, practical work or lab work and a project work at the end of the programme. Few of the topics covered in this course are Computer Networks, Cloud Computing, Information Security, etc.
IIT has been the pioneer in providing the top class engineering programmes to their candidates. To opt for MTech Computer Science IIT, students need to have a valid GATE score and an aggregate marks of 50%/5.5 points in their BE/BTech/MSc Examination.
- Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Kanpur
Apart from IIT, the top five engineering colleges in India as per NIRF 2020 rankings that offer MTech Computer Science programme are tabled below.
|NIRF, 2020||College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|9||National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli||INR 1.11 Lakhs||INR 19 LPA|
|13||National Institute of Technology Karnataka||INR 99,926||INR 4.5 LPA|
|15||Vellore Institute of Technology||INR 1.93 Lakhs||INR 4.8LPA|
|16||National Institute of Technology Rourkela||INR 1.04 Lakhs||INR 5 LPA|
|38||Birla Institute Of Technology, Ranchi||INR 2.29 Lakhs||INR 3.6 LPA|
A graduate with a MTech CS degree can be hired as Software Programmer, Network Analyst, Web Developer, Network Specialist etc. Jobs are available in many different industries from IT to banking and finance to e-commerce etc. Some of the top recruiters are Google, Amazon, HCL, Microsoft etc. The average salary can be anywhere between INR 3 to INR 8 LPA.
Successful candidates can also apply for further studies after their MTech Computer Science Degree. Some of the common choices include PhD Computer Science, MBA/PGDM, Government exams, etc.
What is the MTech Admission Process?
Colleges offering MTech Computer Science admit students on the basis of entrance examinations. Examinations like GATE or UPSEE are the most common entrance exams accepted in most of the top colleges.
The step by step process to get admitted through entrance examinations are as follows.
- Apply for the Entrance Exam: Entrance examinations are held annually during the months of May to August. The first step is to apply to sit for the exam of choice. Apply for it using the official website and if one is eligible to sit for the exam, download the admit card and sit for the exam. Wait for results and start the application process.
- Submitting the Application: When the institute’s application window opens up, download the application. Create an account using details like email id, phone number and address for correspondence.
- Fill Up the Details: Fill up the application form with details like scores of bachelor’s level, 12th and 10th level examinations. Other educational details like entrance exam score must also be filled up.
- Upload documents: Scan all mark sheets of entrance examinations and past educational qualifications to upload into the portal. Documents need to be of specific size and format in order to be accepted. Click submit once done.
- Submit the Application Fee: A nominal application fee is required to be paid to process the application. Payment can be done using all major online payment methods.
- Counselling and Admission: For counselling sessions, dates are announced and registration must be done. Counselling is done on GATE scores and other entrance exams scores. The last step after counselling is taking admission.
What is the MTech Computer Science Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for admission into any MTech offering colleges will be different for different colleges. The average eligibility criteria followed by most of the colleges are:
- A BTech Computer Science or BE Computer Science Degree with 50% aggregate score
- For top ranking colleges, like the IITs, the minimum aggregate score must be at least 60%.
- A good GATE score is needed to qualify for admission.
What are the Various MTech Computer Science Entrance Exams?
Entrance exams are mandatory for pursuing any master degree in any engineering course and computer science is no different. Some of the most accepted entrance examinations for MTech Computer Science admission are as follows.
- GATE: GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is the most popular entrance exam for MTech. This year the hosting institute is MNIT Jaipur. The national level exam is held in online mode and is of 3-hours duration.
- UPSEE: UPSEE is a state level examination conducted for admission into Uttar Pradesh institutes and colleges. There are 11 papers in total and syllabus changes as per subject. The 3-hour long examination is held in online mode.
- PG CET: PG CET is another state level examination conducted for admission into postgraduate programmes in the state of Karnataka. The exam is held in offline mode and the duration is of 150 minutes in total. It is conducted by the Karnataka Examination Authority and is accepted in over 200 plus institutes.
- AP PGCET: This is a state level examination conducted for admission into PG programmes in Andhra Pradesh University. The exam is meant for AP state domiciles students only.
|Exam Name||Exam Date||Mode of Exam||Conducting Body|
|GATE||February, 2021||Online||IIS & IIT|
|UPSEE||September 20, 2020||Online||Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University|
|PG CET||August 9, 2020||Offline||Karnataka Examination Authority|
|AP PGCET||August 2-4, 2020||Online||Andhra University Visakhapatnam|
How to Prepare for the MTech Computer Science Entrance Exams?
Grabbing an admission in the best colleges through the entrance exam needs months of preparation. To help students better, here are some tips that can help the students to prepare for the entrance exams.
- Preparations must be started early. Syllabus is large for the examinations and will require time to cover all topics including basics.
- Allocate time to harder topics and chapters separately. Take help of tutors or mentors for help.
- Mock exams need to be answered regularly while timing oneself. Time management is an important skill to have during the actual exam.
- A strong and clear understanding of the basics is needed. Understanding which questions are asked frequently is also important.
- Prepare a list of topics to cover so as to ensure no topic is missed out.
- Take breaks regularly to ensure there is no fatigue. Regular breaks will also make sure that there is better absorption of new knowledge.
- Solve the sample papers for the various entrance exams such as GATE, UPSEE, PGCET, etc.
How to Get Admission in Good MTech Computer Science Colleges?
Getting admission in the top ranked MTech colleges involves a number of factors one must pay attention to. Competition is stiff and a number of candidates from across the country apply to the programme annually.
Some factors why one can consider to take admission into MTech Computer Science are:
- Keep track of change in application, examination and counselling dates to make sure no date is missed out. Changes made are announced by the universities in advance.
- Read daily affairs, world and national news daily. This will act as a break from regular studies and also help during the admissions process.
- Scoring high marks in the entrance examination is a good way to stand out from other candidates.Counselling sessions must also be paid attention to. Performing well is important.
- Keep all details of past educational degrees and marks updated. Any projects, internships or work completed must be updated too.
MTech Computer Science: What is it about?
MTech Computer Science is a two-year duration postgraduate level programme pursued in different specializations.
- Computer Science is a knowledge and practical skills based programme that imparts students with job ready computer science knowledge.
- The first two semesters include common subjects that cover the basic computer science subjects. The later semesters involve studying the chosen electives.
- Some subject areas covered in this course are system integration, distributed and embedded systems, networks, software engineering, algorithms and logic, system on chip and digital systems etc.
Upon graduation, one is able to be hired in many different industries as software engineer, systems developer, network analyst, web developer etc.
MTech Computer Science Course Highlights
MTech Computer Science is a great opportunity for the curious minds to explore the world of computer science and technology with practical knowledge and theory behind its operation. Here are a few highlights of the course.
|Full-form||Master of Technology in Computer Science|
|Eligibility||Passed BTech/BE Computer Science or Equivalent with Minimum 50% Aggregate Score|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test|
|Course Fee||INR 1,00,000- INR 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 8 LPA|
|Job Positions||Web Developer, System Designer, Network Specialist, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Microsoft, DELL, Wipro, HP, Google, etc.|
Why study MTech?
Choosing to study MTech Computer Science is a choice that depends on the individual’s goals and aims. The programme brings in values to candidates in terms of salary, job placements and career movement which are worth looking into.
Some reasons that will convince me to choose this programme are stated below.
- In demand field: Computer science is a field of the industry where jobs and demand for graduates are high. After completing the course, students can get a job immediately.
- High Pay-scale: Pay is on the higher end for computer science graduates as compared to other graduates. This is a field that is stressful with long work hours. As such the pay reflects the same effort required from the candidates.
- Job opportunities: Job opportunities are always available. From ecommerce, banking, IT, traditional sectors like Government organizations etc. all require CS graduates for their computer network systems. International jobs are also available for candidates of high caliber.
- Growth opportunities: Whether one chooses to opt for higher studies or to get employed, the choices are numerous in both options. Higher studies options include, MBA, Law, doctorate degree etc.
MTech Computer Science vs MSc Computer Science
When choosing MTech Computer Science, another course that is often compared to it is MSc Computer Science. MTech Computer Science is also similar to MSc in Computer Science. While both programmes are similar in some aspects, there are a few noteworthy differences between the two courses.
MTech Computer Science deals with more practical knowledge whereas MSc Computer Science deals with the theory. A comparison between both programmes has been elaborated below.
|Parameters||MSc Computer Science||MTech Computer Science|
|Overview||MSc Computer Science is a 2 year duration PG course in different specializations.||Master of Technology is a two year, four semester programme.|
|Focus Area||Focus is more knowledge oriented and theory based.The degree allow students to enhance their knowledge of computer science and systems elaborately.||Focus is more skill oriented and gain of practical skills.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam or Merit Basis||Entrance Exam or Merit Basis|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other equivalent courses with at least 50% aggregate score.||BTech. in Computer Science or other equivalent courses with at least 50% aggregate score.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 40,000 to INR 3 Lakhs||INR 67,000 to INR 3.5 Lakhs|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2.8 LPA-5 LPA||INR 3LPA to INR 8 LPA|
|Job Profiles||Software engineer, application developer, network engineer etc.||Web developer, software developer, system designer etc.|
MTech Computer Science Course Specializations
Each institute has a range of different specializations or electives one can choose from to specialize in. The list below describes some of the most popular ones.
- Artificial Intelligence: AI specialization concentrates on recreating human intelligence in computers. The goal of AI is to create a computer system that is to learn, solve and plan problems on its own. It uses probabilistic modelling, machine learning, cognition etc, to achieve this.
- Data Analytics: This is one of the most popular and latest specializations for MTech It concentrates on building robust and efficient systems for reporting, analyzing and sorting large amounts of data.
- Image Processing: MTech CS with Image Processing specialization is a course that works on learning about image processing in video games, GPU, 3D imaging, medical image processing, radar image sensing, pattern recognition etc. Jobs are found across many industries.
- Cloud Computing: Students in this course studies about cloud or server storage of data. Candidates are trained in learning how to work with networks, computers, storage of information and data of users virtually.
|Course Name||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Package|
|Artificial Intelligence||INR 1.5 Lakhs||INR 5 LPA|
|Data Analytics||INR 5 Lakhs||INR 12 LPA|
|Image Processing||INR 2 Lakhs||INR 5 LPA|
|Cloud Computing||INR 3 Lakhs||INR 7.5 LPA|
MTech Computer Science Top Colleges
National Institutional Ranking Framework or NIRF for short annual rankings are prepared on behalf of the Ministry of HRD. Rankings for Architecture, Pharmacy, Overall Rankings etc. are released based on a number of parameters like placement information, admissions information etc.
|Top MTech Colleges In Kolkata 2020||Top MTech Colleges in Delhi 2020||Top MTech Colleges in Mumbai 2020|
|Top MTech Colleges in Bengaluru 2020||Top MTech Colleges in Pune 2020||Top MTech Colleges in Hyderabad 2020|
The top MTech Computer Science colleges as per NIRF’s 2020 Engineering colleges are as follows.
|NIRF Rank, 2020||College Name||Average Annual Course Fee||Average Placement Package|
|16||National Institute of Technology, Rourkela||INR 1.04 Lakhs||INR 5 LPA|
|20||Amrita School of Engineering, Kollam||INR 1.64 Lakhs||INR 4.85 LPA|
|57||Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad||INR 18,000||INR 5.05 LPA|
|76||Netaji Subhas University of Technology (NSUT), New Delhi||INR 1.26 Lakhs||INR 7.1 LPA|
|84||Chandigarh University, Mohali||INR 80,000||INR 5.65 LPA|
|136||KLE Technological University, Dharwad||INR 40,000||INR 3.4 LPA|
|144||The Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur||INR 60,000||INR 5.5 LPA|
|164||Government Engineering College, Thrissur||INR 10,470||INR 3.5 LPA|
|184||Sree Vidyanikethan Engineering College, A.Rangampet||INR 74,925||INR 3.3 LPA|
|185||JNTUA College of Engineering, Anantapur||INR 36,625||INR 3.56 LPA|
MTech Computer Science College Comparison
During admissions, it is easy to get confused as to which institute to apply to. It is pertinent to apply to the best college that meets all personal objectives. To make it easy for candidates, a side-by-side comparison of the top three colleges offering MTech Computer Science are stated below.
|Parameters||NIT, Rourkela||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University|
|Overview||NIT Rourkela, previously called Regional Engineering College, is a publicly funded top ranking engineering, science and tech institute.||This is a private university located in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. It is spread over six campuses all across South India.||JNTU Hyderabad is a public university ranked highly in many ranking lists.|
|Rank||NIRF: 16||NIRF: 20||NIRF: 57|
|Average Fee||INR 1.04 Lakhs||INR 1.78 Lakhs||INR 18,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 5 LPA||INR 4.85 LPA||INR 5.05 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro, IBM, Infosys, L&T||CISCO, Oracle, Volvo, WIPRO||TCS Digital, Mathworks, Google, Oracle|
Which are the Top MTech Computer Science Distance Education Colleges
The MTech Computer Science programme is also available in distance education mode. Distance education is preferred by many for its flexibility. One can study at their own pace, choose examination schedules and more. This mode of education is best suited for candidates who are working full time. Some of the colleges that offer a distance mode MTech programme are:
- Amity University, Noida
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- IGNOU, New Delhi
- Karnataka Open University, Mysore
The eligibility criteria for distance mode MTech is the same as full-time MTech One needs to have a BTech or B.E. degree in the same specialization. Admissions are done through entrance examinations and a round of counselling.
What is the MTech Computer Science Syllabus?
The syllabus for the MTech Computer Science programme is different from institute to institute. The range of electives also vary widely. The first three semesters contain common and general subjects while the fourth semester consists of subjects that the candidate has chosen as specialization and project work. The common subjects that are taught in most colleges are as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms||Computer Networks|
|Advanced Computer Architecture||Operating Systems and System Programming|
|Object-Oriented Data Structures||Advanced Database Systems|
|Discrete Mathematical Structures||Elective 2|
|Elective 1||Elective 3|
|Lab 1 (Object Oriented Systems Lab)||Lab 2 (Network/Database Lab)|
|VLSI Design||Computational Number Theory|
|Object Oriented Systems||Theoretical Computer Science and Automation|
|Principles of Programming Languages||Data Warehousing and Data Mining|
|Embedded Systems||Advanced Software Engineering|
|Computer Graphics||Pattern Recognition|
|-||Distributed Database Systems|
|-||Financial Information Systems|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Electives 4,5,6,7||Specialization Subjects|
|Lab 3 (Open Source Software Lab)||Project Work|
|Project Synopsis and Comprehensive Viva Voce||Dissertation and Viva Voce|
|Service Oriented Computing Web Technology||-|
|Digital Image Processing||-|
|Agent Based Computing||-|
|Cryptography and Network Security||-|
|Software Project Management||-|
|Computer Simulation and Modelling||-|
What are the MTech Computer Science Job Prospects and Career Options?
A number of opportunities open up to a MTech Computer Science student after graduation. One can choose to either work or enroll themselves in higher studies programmes.
Among higher education options, doctoral programmes are available as well as other masters courses like MBA or PGDM. For both programmes, an entrance examination score is needed.
Some of the industry areas where an MTech graduate is hired often are Teaching, Entertainment, IT, Retail, Banking, Finance etc.
The most popular job profiles one gets hired into are Application Developer, Business Systems Analyst, Software Programmer, Client Server Systems Manager etc.
MTech Computer Science Job Profile
The job profiles that a MTech Computer Science graduate is able to be hired varies from industry to industry. The most popular job profiles along with their job description and average salary are as follows.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Web Developer||A Web Developer codes, builds, designs websites of different companies. The role requires both coding knowledge and graphic design.||INR 2.75 to 3.5 LPA|
|System Designer||A System Designer works with other team members to make sure that the systems and network of organizations are running as par.||INR 3.5 to 5 LPA|
|IT Consultant||An IT Consultant works with individual clients and advises them on how to design, structure and operate their IT systems keeping in mind their goals, objectives and problems.||INR 6 to 8 LPA|
|Technical Analyst||Technical Analysts observe and make predictions on the movements of the stock market. The analyst predicts prices, trading volume, trade rate, interest rates etc.||INR 6 to 8 LPA|
|Software Programmer||Software Programmers are tasked with the planning, design, testing, installation and also maintenance of software. Programmers look after the A to Z of software.||INR 4 to 5 LPA|
|Professor||Professors and lecturers are hired to teach at the undergraduate or postgraduate level in an area of their expertise.||INR 7 to 9 LPA|
MTech Computer Science Further Studies
After completing the MTech Computer Science, students have two options to set their future. One is to opt for different job profiles that have been listed above. Other than that, students can opt for further studies as well. The most popular choice for further studies after MTech Computer Science is either PhD or MBA.
Here are some of the best further studies options that students can pursue after an MTech Computer Science degree.
|Parameters||MBA/PGDM||Ph.D. Computer Science||Law Programmes||Competitive Examinations|
|Overview||One of the most popular higher studies options are management programmes like MBA or PGDM. The career options after such a programme are mainly in higher management positions. A national level examination like CAT, MAT or XAT score is needed.||The highest level educational degree one can earn in India is the doctoral programme. The topic for research can be in the same field, computer science, or in any other topic of choice. Admissions is through an entrance examination and a round of personal interview where the research proposal is studied.||As opposed to a traditional bachelor’s law degree, the law degree for a candidate with a prior degree is only of 3-Years duration. After completing the programme one works as a part of the legal team in private and public organizations as well as judges, advocates etc.||Competitive examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government organizations are a popular choice of career. The examinations are highly competitive and a number of students appear for them annually.|
|Duration||2 years||3 to 5 years||3 years||-|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2 to INR 30 Lakhs||INR 10,000 to INR 2.75 Lakhs||INR 1 Lakhs to INR 2 Lakhs||-|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2 to INR 28 LPA||INR 4 to INR 8 LPA||INR 4 to INR 6 LPA||-|
|Best Institute||IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta etc.||Christ University, Shiv Nadar University, Assam University etc.||National Law School of India University, National Law University, National Academy of Legal Studies and Research||-|
MTech Computer Science FAQs
Ques. What is the average course fee for MTech Computer Science?
Ans. One can expect to pay in the range of INR 1 lakh to INR 3 Lakhs.
Ques. Is there a counselling round held for this programme?
Ans. Yes. A round of counselling is held.
Ques. Can I pursue MTech after ME?
Ans. Yes you can only if you have pursued BE in Computer Science.
Ques. Is MTech Computer Science distance education valid?
Ans. If you are pursuing it from an UGC recognized university, then yes it is valid.
Ques. What is the maximum age limit for pursuing MTech Computer Science?
Ans. There is no upper age limit for pursuing MTech, though the minimum age is 20.