MTech Information Technology: Overview
MTech Information Technology is a 2-year post-graduate degree program that aims to provide both theoretical and practical knowledge on the advanced fundamental study of computer-based information systems.
Know More About IT Courses
The eligibility criteria for admission to this program is a BE/BTech degree in Information Technology or equivalent degree from a recognized university with a minimum 60% aggregate and a valid GATE score. The most common entrance exams are GATE, TANCET, AP PGECET, OJEE, etc.
Check MTech Entrance Exams
The average tuition fee charged by the most MTech IT colleges in India ranges between INR 5,000 - INR 3,00,000.
Refer to the full list of top MTech Colleges In India
MTech Information Technology graduates can be hired as a Software Developer, IT Specialist, Quality Analyst, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, Computer Programmer, PHP Developer, Technical Consultant, Network Engineer, etc. The average salary ranges between INR 3,00,000 - INR 20,00,000.
Some of the top MTech Information Technology colleges in India are tabulated below:
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|5||IIT Kharagpur||GATE||INR 2,31,500||INR 10,00,000|
|33||NIT Surathkal||GATE + CCMT Counselling||INR 1,00,355||INR 7,73,000|
|62||DTU New Delhi||GATE + Interview||INR 1,66,000||INR 6,50,000|
|85||PSGCT Coimbatore||GATE/ TANCET + Counseling||INR 1,54,000||INR 7,00,000|
|85||BIT Ranchi||GATE||INR 2,31,000||INR 6,47,000|
|103||IIIT Allahabad||GATE||INR 2,80,400||INR 8,20,000|
MTech Information Technology: Course Highlights
|Full Form||Master of Technology in Information Technology|
|Eligibility||BE/ BTech in Information Technology or equivalent degree from recognized university|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 - INR 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 - INR 20,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Software Developer, IT Specialist, Quality Analyst, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, Computer Programmer, PHP Developer, Technical Consultant, Network Engineer, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Educational Institutes, Software Development Companies, IT Companies, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Accenture, BSNL, Wipro, IBM, Cognizant Technologies, Cisco Systems, Siemens, Cypress Semiconductor Tech. Ltd., Unisys, Sasken Communication, ASUS, HCL, etc.|
MTech Information Technology: Admission Process
- Admission in MTech Information Technology is based on the candidate’s performance in the entrance exam.
- Most of the colleges or universities accept a minimum GATE score for getting admission to this postgraduate degree program.
- Some of the most common entrance exams for MTech IT in India are TANCET, AP PGECET, OJEE, etc.
Check IIT Kharagpur Admission Process in detail.
MTech Information Technology: Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the MTech Information Technology course, the aspiring candidates must fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria mentioned below:
- Candidates should have passed BE/BTech in the relevant discipline or AMIE from a recognized university.
- The minimum eligibility may vary from one university to another. However, most of the top MTech Information Technology colleges ask for a minimum 60% aggregate score at the graduation level.
MTech Information Technology: Entrance Exams
Mentioned below some of the most popular MTech Information Technology entrance exams:
- GATE: It is an All-India level entrance exam conducted annually by IIT Bombay for taking admission to various UG and PG courses.
- TANCET: It is a state-level entrance exam conducted by Anna University on behalf of the Tamil Nadu Government. It is conducted for getting admission in MTech, MBA, MArch, and ME courses.
- AP PGECET: It is a state-level entrance exam conducted by Andhra University, Visakhapatnam for those candidates who want to get admission in ME/ MTech/ MPharm programs.
- OJEE: A state-level entrance exam conducted every year by OJEE Board for Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Lateral entry courses.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Exam Name||Mode||Application Date||Date of Exam|
|GATE 2021||Online||September 11 to October 7, 2020||February 6-7 & 13-14, 2021|
|TANCET||Offline||1st week of January to 1st week of February, 2021||Last Week of February, 2021|
|AP PGECET||CBT mode||September 23, 2020||September 28 to September 30, 2020|
|OJEE||CBT mode||September 21 to September 23, 2020||October 12 to October 19, 2020|
MTech Information Technology: Entrance Exam Process
The step-by-step entrance exam admission process is mentioned below.
- Visit the official website and register basic details like phone number, email id, etc.
- Fill up the application form carefully with all necessary details.
- Scan and upload all requisite documents in the specific size and format mentioned on the application portal.
- Submit and pay the application fee by using any online payment method.
- If you are eligible for the exam, download the admit card and appear for the test.
- The qualified candidates can then appear for a personal interview conducted by the respective college authority.
- The shortlisted candidates then go through the counseling session. After that, the candidates are eligible for admission.
MTech Information Technology: How to Prepare for the Entrance Examinations?
While preparing for the MTech Information Technology entrance exams, you should follow the tips mentioned below:
- Be clear about the exam syllabus and pattern.
- Answer a question only when you are 100% sure, as it may have a negative marking.
- Divide the time-frame for the entire syllabus, sample paper practicing, last-minute preparations, and more.
- Try to revise all the topics at least twice before appearing for the exam.
- Solve previous years’ question papers, sample question sheets regularly.
- Practice mock tests to improve the chances of error, enhance your confidence level, and problem-solving efficiency.
MTech Information Technology: How to Get Admission in a Good College?
Below mentioned are some important tips to get admitted to a good MTech Information Technology college:
- MTech Information Technology colleges consider a minimum 60% aggregate score so it is important to perform well at the graduation level.
- Candidates need to score well in entrance exams, like GATE, TANCET, etc.
- Candidates should have a clear idea about the course curriculum offered by the colleges.
MTech Information Technology: What is it all About?
- MTech Information Technology is a 2-Year postgraduate degree program for candidates who are interested in computer programming, software engineering, wireless communication, intelligent systems, etc.
- The course provides a vast study of various programming languages, components of design, development, implementation, support, and management of computer-based IT systems.
- During this course study, the students will learn installing computer applications, designing complex computer network systems, databases, etc.
- Students studying MTech IT can specialize in any one of the fields, like Computer Science, Software Engineering, Embedded Systems, Network, and Communications, etc.
- It offers advanced theoretical and practical knowledge to the students to become successful professionals in the IT industry.
- The course deals with the subjects like computer programming, database management, data warehousing, data mining, DBMS etc.
- One can join the IT industry as a software engineer, PHP developer, computer programmer, IT specialist, Network Analyst etc.
Why Should You Study MTech Information Technology?
- The IT industry in India has earned a lot of recognition globally. In the current year, the IT related jobs or career options are expected to grow at least 5-6%.
- The students can get the opportunity to work with reputed IT firms, like Accenture, IBM, Wipro, Cognizant Technologies, Infosys etc.
- They can get employed as Software Developer, IT Specialist, Quality Analyst, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, Computer Programmer, PHP Developer, Technical Consultant, Network Engineer etc.
- The successful M.Tech IT graduates can find potential job roles in Banking and Finance, Data Analytics, and even in teaching professions.
- Students can have the opportunity to work as a researcher. They can opt for further higher studies or PhD programs.
- The postgraduates can get a decent salary package, ranging between INR 3,00,000 - INR 20,00,000.
MTech Information Technology: Who Should Opt For This Course Program?
- Candidates who possess an excellent command on web databases, programming languages, and web development.
- Candidates who want to pursue a career in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Embedded Systems, Network, and Communications, etc.
- Candidates who wish to work at leading IT companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Oracle, etc.
MTech Information Technology vs MSc Information Technology
Mentioned below is the comparison table, highlighting the key parameters of both MTech Information Technology and MSc Information Technology course:
|Parameters||M.Tech Information Technology||M.Sc. Information Technology|
|Qualification||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Overview||The course offers advanced theoretical and practical study on programming languages, components of design, development, implementation, support and management of computer-based IT systems.||The course imparts advanced knowledge on database management, object-oriented programming, cybersecurity, operating systems, and more.|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Examination Type||Semester Based||Semester Based|
|Eligibility||BE/ BTech with 60% aggregate.||Bachelor’s degree with 50% aggregate.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam||Merit and Entrance Exam|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5,000 - INR 3,00,000||INR 80,000 - INR 3,00,000|
|Top Colleges||IIT Kharagpur, PSGCT, DTU New Delhi, NIT Surathkal, BIT Ranchi, IIEST Howrah||Amity University, Calicut University, LPU Jalandhar, Mahatma Gandhi University.|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 -INR 20,00,000||INR 3,00,000 -INR 8,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Software Developer, IT Specialist, Quality Analyst, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, Computer Programmer, PHP Developer, Technical Consultant, etc.||IT Analyst, Application Programmer, Software Engineer, Technical Operation Analyst, Network Planning Manager, Maintenance Engineer, etc.|
MTech Information Technology: Top Colleges
Some of the reputed MTech Information Technology colleges in India along with other details are mentioned below:
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|5||IIT Kharagpur||Entrance Exam||INR 2,31,500||INR 10,00,000|
|20||AU Chennai||Entrance Exam||INR 1,00,000||INR 4,20,000|
|21||IIEST Howrah||Entrance Exam||INR 81,500||INR 6,00,000|
|33||NIT Surathkal||Entrance Exam||INR 1,00,355||INR 7,73,000|
|62||DTU Delhi||Entrance Exam||INR 1,66,000||INR 6,50,000|
|65||AUCE Andhra Pradesh||Entrance Exam||INR 60,000||INR 4,00,000|
|70||RVCE Bangalore||Entrance Exam||INR 37,700||INR 8,63,000|
|76||Christ University Bangalore||Entrance Exam||INR 95,000||INR 5,75,000|
|85||PSGCT Coimbatore||Entrance Exam||INR 1,54,000||INR 7,00,000|
|85||BIT Ranchi||Entrance Exam||INR 2,31,000||INR 6,47,000|
|103||IIIT Allahabad||Entrance Exam||INR 2,80,400||INR 8,20,000|
|151||JIIT Noida||Entrance Exam||INR 2,40,000||INR 4,50,000|
|165||VIT Pune||Entrance Exam||INR 87,664||INR 5,70,000|
MTech Information Technology: College Comparison
The table below compares the top three MTech Information Technology colleges in India based on several major parameters, like NIRF ranking, admission process, course fee, average placement packages, etc.
|Parameters||IIT Kharagpur||NIT Surathkal||DTU Delhi|
|Overview||It is the first IIT, recognized as an Institute of National Importance. The institute offers UG, PG, dual degree, and doctoral programs in various specializations.||It is one of the leading engineering colleges in India. The institute offers UG, PG, and doctorate programs in various specializations.||DTU is one of the leading universities in India. The university offers UG, PG, Doctoral programs in Engineering, and Management fields.|
|NIRF Rank 2020||5||33||62|
|Eligibility||BE/BTech with 60% aggregate.||BTech with 60% aggregate.||BE/BTech/MSc with 60% aggregate.|
|Admission Process||GATE||GATE + CCMT counseling||GATE + Interview|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 2,31,500||INR 1,00,355||INR 1,66,000|
|Average Placement Offer||INR 10,00,000||INR 7,73,000||INR 6,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||Microsoft, Exel, Honeywell, and many more.||Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, and many more.||Google, Apple, Amazon, Directi, and many more.|
MTech Information Technology: Syllabus
The major subjects taught in a 2-Year MTech IT degree program are tabulated below. The subjects in a particular semester may vary, according to different colleges.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Data Structure and Algorithm||Operating Systems|
|DBMS||Software Project Management & TQM|
|Software Engineering||Object Oriented Software Engineering & UML|
|Discrete Structure||Computer Network|
|Object Oriented Programming||Object Tech. Lab|
|Data Structure Lab||SPM Lab|
|Object Oriented Programming Lab (C++)||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Web Technology Lab||-|
MTech Information Technology: Electives
List of electives that a student can choose in his course program are mentioned below.
- Advanced Microprocessors
- Data Warehousing and Mining
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Graphical Information Systems
- Image Processing
- Knowledge Management
- Object Oriented Software Engineering
MTech Information Technology: Recommended Books
Some of the most important reference books for MTech Information Technology are mentioned below.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Introduction to Information Technology||V. Rajaraman|
|Computer Fundamentals: An Overview||Mahua Paul|
|Digital Image Processing and Analysis||B. Chanda, D. Dutta Majumder|
|Data Warehousing||C.S.R Prabhu|
|Distributed Operating Systems: Concepts and Design||Pradeep K. Sinha|
MTech Information Technology: Job Prospects and Career Options
After completing M.Tech Information Technology, the students can have a diverse range of career and job opportunities in the IT industry.
- They can get jobs at major recruiting companies, such as Accenture, BSNL, Wipro, IBM, Cognizant Technologies, Cisco Systems, Siemens, Cypress Semiconductor Tech. Ltd., Unisys, Sasken Communication, ASUS, HCL, etc.
- The postgraduates are hired as Software Developer, IT Specialist, Quality Analyst, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, Computer Programmer, PHP Developer, Technical Consultant, Network Engineer, etc.
- Besides these, potential job options are available in Banking and Finance sectors, MNC’s, Data Analytics, and in teaching professions.
MTech Information Technology: Jobs
The table below shows some of the job options available for MTech IT students along with job description and average annual salary.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Computer Programmer||They are responsible for designing and modifying computer applications by using different programming languages.||INR 4,50,000|
|PHP Developer||Their main responsibility is to write well-designed codes, server-side web application logic.||INR 2,65,562|
|Software Developer||They are responsible for installing, designing, and maintaining software systems. They develop new software by using innovative technologies.||INR 4,69,584|
|Quality Analyst||Their responsibility is to ensure that there are no defects in programming codes and systems.||INR 3,46,392|
|Technical Consultant||They provide technical support and look after hardware related issues.||INR 5,86,340|
|IT Specialist||Their responsibility is to design, operate, and maintain various technological issues that arise in the IT industry.||INR 6,02,339|
MTech Information Technology: Scope
After completing the MTech Information Technology course, the students can have plenty of career options. The candidates who wish to continue higher studies in the same field can go for the following academic options.
- Higher Education: Students can pursue PhD Information Technology. It is a 3-Year doctorate degree program that imparts advanced knowledge and skills related to programming language, data processing, telecommunication, statistics, data analysis, and more.
- Research: The postgraduates can join in reputed research laboratories, and R&D departments as a researcher to do research in the related field.
MTech Information Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of MTech Information Technology?
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility criteria for MTech Information Technology?
Ques. What is the MTech IT admission process?
Ques. Which are the top MTech IT colleges in India?
Ques. What is the average course fee?
Ques. What is the syllabus of MTech Information Technology?
Ques. What is the scope of MTech Information Technology?
Ques. What are the top recruiters in MTech Information Technology?
Ques. What is the average salary offered?