M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering is a postgraduate course which offers students the combined study of mechanics, kinematics etc which will be used for construction purpose and in the installation of tools and machines.
See Also: MTech/ME Courses
The main aim of the mechanical Engineer is to plan, design, maintain and control all the activities which are happening in the production of products in any organization.
Admission to MTech Mechanical courses is mainly on the basis of Entrance Examinations. Few Colleges also take students on the basis of Merit marks scored in the previous higher education.
See Also: MTech/ME Colleges in India
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Master’s of Technology in Mechanical|
|Duration||2 Years (4 Semesters )|
|Examination Type||Semester Wise|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree and GATE|
|Admission Process||Merit list of GATE|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2, 30, 000|
|Top Recruitment Companies||BMW, General Electric Co (GE), General Motors Corporation, Ford Motor Company, Caterpillar, Inc., Larsen and Toubro Ltd etc.|
|Job Positions||Mechanical Engineer, Design Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Production Engineer etc.|
|Average Salary||4 LPA|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for MTech Mechanical Engineering aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from various institutes.
- Candidates must have cleared their Graduation in mechanical Engineering from any recognized University or Institution.
- The qualifying aggregate score required at Intermediate level is at least 50% and above.
- Candidates having a Diploma in the related field from a recognized university are eligible to apply for Lateral Entry admissions in various institutes.
- 5% moderation for the reserved category like SC/ST/OBC students.
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Admission Process
MTech Mechanical Engineering admissions are done through entrance examination mode or direct admission through quota.
Merit based Admission
Candidates who are willing to get admission in this stream can apply to MTech Mechanical Engineering colleges by both offline and online means.
- You can either reach the official website of the institute or to this step admission office of the institute to fill the admission application form.
- Fill the application form required and upload all the necessary documents which are asked in the form.
- After completion of the process of application, go for counselling round and attend the personal interview round to get your desired college.
Entrance Based Admission
GATE, OJEE, UPSEE, TANCET, BHU PET, AP PGECET, ITM NEST, SRMJEEE PG and more are conducted for admission in the Master's programs of top colleges in India. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance examinations.
ALERT: ITM Application form has been released. Apply HERE
What are the Top MTech Mechanical Engineering: Entrance Examinations
There are various national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into the MTech Mechanical Engineering program.
Some of the popular MTech Mechanical Engineering entrance exams are as follows:
- GATE Entrance Exam – The exam is conducted by IISC and seven IITs in different states where IIT colleges are situated on the behalf of National Coordination Board-GATE . The GATE-2021 will be conducted for 27 subjects and the GATE score will remain valid for three years from the date of announcement of results. The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- TANCET - It is a state level examination conducted by Anna University. The exam is usually conducted in the month of March every year. Total no. of students who took the test was 1,10,000. The exam is conducted offline but the application mode is done online. The duration of the paper is 2 hours.
- SRMJEEE- The exam will be conducted in the first or second week of April. The online registration will be closed on 31st March,2021. It is a computer based online test. The duration of the paper is 2 hours 30 minutes
A common list of MTech Entrance exams 2021 is given in the table below along with their upcoming dates:
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|GATE||IISC & IIT||Feb 06,07,13,14 , 2021||Online|
|OJEE||OJEE Committee||May 2021||Online|
|UPSEE||U.P Government||May 2021||Online & Offline|
|TANCET||Anna University||March 2021||Offline|
|BHU PET||BHU||May 2021||Online|
|AP PGECET||Andhra University||May 2021||Online|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Divide your schedule: Studying without a deadline isn’t something that candidates can afford, therefore they must assign their days to certain topics and finish them within the deadline.
- Keep your resources limited: It is a must for candidates to remain focused and having too many resources will only alleviate the stress. Therefore, they must research well and shortlist some resources for the study plan and stick to it. Remember, Candidates can’t cover everything from everywhere, therefore keep it simple and accurate. They can Check GATE Important Books
- Revision is the Key: Candidates should not keep revision for the last minute. They should keep revision sessions for regular intervals. They should make some crisp notes for the last minute reading and avoid unnecessary panic before the exam.
Why should you do MTech Mechanical Engineering?
MTech Mechanical Engineering is one of the most sought after courses in India in terms of personal growth and career growth opportunities. The MTech course provides several benefits with its study. The benefits of doing the course are given below:
- Career growth and knowledge is provided by the course study.
- Students who are interested in the study of machines and want to know about its functions should do this course.
- Students who have technological skills which can be combined with machine learning should definitely go for this course.
- The course offers a salary package of from INR 3,00,000 to 10,00,000 for fresh post graduate students.
- The course also opens up various career opportunities in front of students.
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Course Advantages
Information and details about MTech Mechanical Engineering course are as follows.
- This course revolves around the study of Machines and the processes involved in the production by the machines.
- The course imparts knowledge about using Machine Engineering methodologies in the industries dealing with production.
- The course Equips the students with the knowledge of Machines so that better production from the machines will help in the growth of the organization.
- The course also imparts various skills to the students such as technical skills , problem- solving skills, analytical skills, decision- making skills etc.
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Course Comparison
The course comparison between MTech Mechanical Engineering and ME Mechanical Engineering is as follows.
|Parameter||MTech Mechanical Engineering||ME Mechanical Engineering|
|Domain||Masters of Technology. (M.Tech.) in Electronic Engineering||Master of Engineering (M.E.) in Electronic Engineering|
|Overview||M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering is a postgraduate course which offers students the combined study of mechanics, kinematics etc||Mechanical Engineering is the branch of study which primarily deals with the aspects of designing, production, and operations of machines and tools.|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in B.Tech or B.E in Mechanical, Manufacturing, Aeronautics, Mechatronics, etc. with an aggregate of 50% marks and above from a recognized university.||The minimum eligibility that is required to get entry into this technical degree course is a B.Tech. /BE /B.Sc. degree with a minimum of 55% in aggregate|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Average Annual Fees (INR)||40,000 - 2,75,000||40,000 - 2,40,000|
|Average Salary (INR)||50,000 - 5,50,000||50,000 - 6,00,000|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Top Colleges
Below given is a list of top colleges offering MTech Mechanical Engineering along with the Average fees.
|College Name||Average Fees (INR)|
|Dr. D .Y Patil College of Technology||2,02,000|
|Lokmanya collage of Engineering||4,47,000|
|Bharat Ratna Collage of Art And Technology||5,44,000|
|Coimbatore college of Engineering||2,67,000|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Tips to get Best College
To get admission into a good college one needs to ensure to have scored more than 90% at the Intermediate level. Apart from this, most of the institutes provide admission to the course on the basis of entrance examinations, hence preparing well for the entrance exams is a must for an aspirant to get the best college.
Note: Before shortlisting and selecting colleges finally, they must ensure to check the placement rate of the college, method of course delivery, admission system, and the financial aid offered there.
MTech Mechanical Engineering: College Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between the top colleges offering MTech Mechanical Engineering courses in India. This comparison is on the basis of few parameters that are tabulated below in the table:
|Parameters||IIT Bombay||IISC Bangalore|
|Overview||IIT Bombay is one of the best engineering institutes in the country and has a good placement record with an overall average of 80% placements and 95% for MTech.||It is one of the oldest and finest centres of its kind in India, and has a high international standing in the academic world as well.|
|Average Fees||INR 1,50,000||INR 1,20,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 7.8 LPA||INR 9.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||NTPC, TATA Steel and Power Limited, Reliance Industries||BHEL, SAIL, Hindustan Motors|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Syllabus
Below given is a semester wise breakdown of the subjects that will be studied in MTech Mechanical Engineering courses.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Numerical Analysis and optimization||Theory of Elasticity||Mechanical Behavior of Materials||Dissertation|
|Instruments and maiden.||Design of Mechanics||Mechanics Vibration||Elect. Design of bearing and shift|
|Experimental Stress Analysis||Principles Of Machine Design||General Elective 3||Computer Aided design|
|Metal Forming Analysis||General Elective 1||General practical Lab 4||Design of Pollution Control|
|Mechatronics and product design||General Elective 2||Material behavior and vibration lab||Tribulour|
|Experimental stress Analysis lab.||Seminar||Minor Project||Computer Aided vehicle design|
|Mechanical measurement lab. Computational Lab.||CAD/CAM Lab Design Practical lab||-||-|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Recommended Books
Below given is a list of important books that are a vital part of the MTech Mechanical Engineering curriculum. Students must have these books to understand the concepts of Mechanical engineering with ease.
|Engineering Mechanics||SS Bhavikatti|
|Fluid Mechanics||RK Bansal|
|Engineering Thermodynamics||Cengel & Boles|
|Manufacturing processes and materials||Dr. Miltiadis A.Boboulos|
|Control Engineering||Derek P. Atherton|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Job Prospects
MTech Mechanical Engineering course comes with numerous jobs and career opportunities. Fresh postgraduates of this course can easily expect a salary of INR 3,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 annually. The salary offered is directly proportional to the experience candidate earned in the field.
- MTech Mechanical Engineering postgraduates are hired in various organizations which are related to production and set up of machines.
- Some of the major job options for postgraduates of this course are production engineer, Machine specialist etc.
Below mentioned are the job profiles which are offered to MTech Mechanical Engineering candidates.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Mechanical Engineer||Mechanic engineer is responsible for designing, planning and functioning of the machine systems in the organization.||INR 6,00,000|
|Production Executive||Production executives are responsible for determining the best and most efficient uses of the available resources.||INR 3,42,000|
|Defence Sector as Officer||Officer’s are hired in defense services for designing machines which will be used at the time of War.||INR 5,00,000|
|Machine Analyst||Machine analyst analyzes the production of the machine’s products and works to increase its productivity.||INR 3,42,000|
|Researcher||The main role of researcher’s is to use the existing technology and research on it to make it more useful in day today life.||INR 7,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes of MTech Mechanical Engineering?
Apart from seeking jobs, yet another option available to students is to pursue higher education. Students can go for below mentioned higher education options :
PhD: If a student wants to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a PhD Mechanical Engineering. It is a three to five year duration course and the eligibility criteria include having a MTech Degree in related disciplines.
See Also Top PhD Colleges in India
MBA: A large number of engineering postgraduates prefer to go in the management field by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered to this course based on the national level entrance test.
See Also Top MBA Colleges in India
MTech Mechanical Engineering: FAQs
Ques: Which branch is best in Mechanical Engineering?
Ans. Below mentioned fields in MTech are options for students.
Ques. What are the common job profiles after M. Tech. Mechanical engineering?
Ans. Students can select any of the below mentioned options.
- Going for a research degree Like a PhD.
- Start your Own business
- Join as a Teacher in a Engineering College
- Join a job after completing MTech.
Ques. What are the common job profiles after M. Tech. Mechanical engineering?
Ans. Below are some of the common job profiles.
- Project Manager
- Design Manager
- Mechanical Engineer
- Machine Design Manager
Ques. What is the maximum age limit for students applying in MTech?
Ans. There is no age limit to apply in this course.
Ques. Is University offering Part time MTech courses also?
Ans. MTech is a full time course and students have to meet the minimum attendance criteria of 75%.
Ques. Is there any option to pay the course fee in installments?
Ans. No, Students must submit the fees for the course before the beginning of every Semester.
Ques. Are the entrance exams for admission into the MTech Mechanical Engineering program postponed due to COVID19?
Ans. Yes, most of the entrance exams have been postponed due this pandemic. The new dates are available on the official websites.