Masters of Technology in Power Systems Engineering or MTech Power Systems Engineering is a 2- year professional Electrical Engineering course that offers specialization in power systems. The course comprises state of art techniques such as Stability Evaluation Planning, Industrial Electronics and Controls, Reliability and Forecasting, Power Electronics and Drives, Wind and Solar Energy Electric Conversion Systems, System Analysis of Power, etc,.
The subjects covered during the course programme: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Advanced Power System Analysis, High Voltage Transmission, Power System Operation & Control, Power System Instrumentation, Advanced Topics in Micro Processors and Micro Controllers, High Voltage DC Transmission just to name a few.
See More: All About MTech
Students who have completed graduation in any science discipline, B.E./B.Tech degree holders or qualified in relevant specialization with a minimum of 50 % marks in aggregate are eligible to apply for admission in M.Tech Power Systems.
See More: MTech Power Systems engineering
Many of the private and public institutes/ universities in India offer M.Tech in Power Systems Engineering courses. The average fee for the particular course in India lies between INR INR 14,000 to INR 3,00,000 and the fee may vary from college to college.
M.Tech in Power Systems passed out candidates get an average salary between INR 4,62,000 to INR 6,55,000 and it totally depends on the factors such as candidate’s experience, knowledge and college reputation.
After the successful completion of M.Tech. Power Systems Engineering course, candidates can get a job and work as a Power System Engineer, Energy Manager, Electrical Engineer, Power Plant Incharge, Power Analyst, Manufacturing Engineer etc.
After completing M.Tech in Power Systems Engineering, an individual can do a job in public and private organizations, opt for a Research Degree such as PhD, or can start their own business/ organization. Also, they can get a teaching job in engineering colleges.
M.Tech Power System Engineering: Course Highlights
The course highlights of M.Tech Power Systems Engineering Course are mentioned below:-
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Course Name||M.Tech Power Systems Engineering|
|Duration||2 Years, Full Time|
|Examination type||Semester- wise|
|Eligibility||Passed Graduation in science specialization with 50% marks in aggregate|
|Admission process||Entrance Exam, Interview and Counselling|
|Average Course fee||INR 14,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,62,000 to INR 6,55,000|
|Job Positions||Transmission engineer, Supply manager, Discom in charge, Power engineer, Design Engineer, Researcher|
|Top Recruiting Companies||BHEL, Fluor Corporation, HAL, BSNL, Indian Railways, Hydroelectric Power Plants, State Wise Electricity Boards, Thermal Power Plants,|
M.Tech Power Systems Engineering: Admission Process?
- Most of the Universities/ Colleges in India offer admission in M.Tech program on the basis of GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) entrance examination.
- Few of the private colleges/ institutes (like BITS HD, KIITEE) conduct their own entrance test for enrolling admission into M.Tech courses. For this, students have to fill an application form for appearing in such exams.
- It is compulsory that students have qualified GATE exam or entrance exam of the college to seek admission into the MTech Systems Engineering course
- Entrance Exam consists of Written Test and Personal Rounds of Interview
- After the written test and personal rounds of interview, a list of shortlisted candidates is prepared and they are invited for counselling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After the successful completion of counselling, seats are allotted to the candidates and they are asked to deposit the fee for the particular course and register themselves for the respective academic year.
- After going through the above process, the new academic year begins in the college/ university.
Moreover, the admission process of most of the colleges or universities is similar due to some extent.
M.Tech Power System Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
Interested candidates who want to take admission in M.Tech Power System Engineering course must fulfil the eligibility criteria that are mentioned below:-
- Should have qualified B.E./B.Tech. or have an equivalent qualification in Science specialization or in a relevant specialization
- Should have secured at least 50% marks in graduation
- Should have passed graduation from renowned university/ college
- Should not have any backlog in any of the Subjects at B.E/B.Tech level
- Reserved category candidates are required to show category certificate at the time of admission
The eligibility criteria (mentioned above) is almost the same for most of the universities or colleges in India that offer this course to the students.
M.Tech Power Systems Engineering: Entrance Exams?
Many of the entrance exams are conducted at the national and international level to get admission into the M.Tech Power Systems Engineering course.
Some of the popular M.Tech Engineering Entrance Exams are listed below:-
TANCET is conducted by Anna University at the state level for providing admission to students. It is held in the month of March every year to offer admission to postgraduate programmes like MBA, M.Tech, MCA etc. It is conducted in offline mode and based on pen and paper. The duration of the exam is 2 hours. Some Universities and Self-Financing Engineering Colleges in Tamil Nadu offer admission to students on the basis of score obtained in TANCET 2021
BITS HD 2021
Birla Institute of Technology conducts BITS HD entrance examination to get admission into courses of M.Pharm/M.Tech/M /. Phil degree programme. It conducts at the National level once in a year for BITS campuses- Hyderabad, Goa and Pilani accept the scores of the entrance examination. The mode of the entrance exam is online.
GATE 2021 examination is conducted by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore at National Level. GATE scorecard is required to get admission in Engineering colleges or
(IISc) Institutes in India. It is scheduled to be held on February 6, 7, 13, and 14. It is conducted in online mode i.e., Computed Based Test (CBT). Many of the Engineering Colleges or Institutes in India will give admission to students on the basis of the scorecard of the GATE exam.
Gujarat PGCET 2021
Gujarat Post Graduate Common Entrance Test (GPGCET) is conducted by the Admission Committee for professional courses (ACPC) every year. GUJARAT PGCET scorecard is required to get admission in M. Tech course of Gujarat Colleges. The mode of examination is offline as pen and paper-based. The duration of the paper is 1 hour 30 minutes and the paper consists of a total of 100 multiple-choice questions.
|GPGCET Exam Pattern||GPGCET Eligibility||GPGCET Syllabus|
The details of M.Tech entrance examination like exam name, conducting body, date of exam and mode of the exam are mentioned below:-
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Date of examination||Mode of exam|
|TANCET 2021||Anna University, Tamil Nadu||March 21, 2021||Offline|
|BITS HD 2021||Birla Institute of Technology, Hyderabad||To Be Notified||Online|
|GATE 2021||Indian Institute of Science, Banglore||February 6, 7, 13, 14||Online|
|GPGCET 2021||ACPC||To Be Notified||Offline|
How to prepare for MTech Power Systems Engineering entrance examinations?
Students who want to get admission in the Master of Technology program are required to clear any of the entrance examinations of M.Tech. Students who are preparing for the entrance test must follow the points mentioned below:-
- Before proceeding the preparation for the entrance test an individual must check the syllabus and exam pattern of the M.Tech entrance examinations. It helps you to know what subjects and topics would be asked in the test so that you can prepare for the competition exam accordingly.
- You have to make a proper timetable or schedule for studies. You must make a timetable by allocating a total number of:-Hours for each subject/ topic, Hours for tough topics/ chapters, Hours for studies throughout a day. It allows you to follow a certain schedule and keeps you on track regarding your studies.
- Practice more and more of previous year question papers or mock tests. It enables you what types of questions would be asked in the entrance examination of M.Tech.
- Prepare Short Notes or Flashcards of formulas or concepts you are studying for the first time. It helps you to make a quick revision before a few days of the entrance examination.
- Don’t take any stress for the exam. Try to eat healthy food and keep yourself hydrated. Try to include yoga and meditation in your daily routine. These kinds of activities help to enhance concentration level and keep you healthy.
- The reference books and study material plays an important role in preparing the entrance exam. Always pick the correct books for studies which covers all the topics and the topics available in the book are explained in a simple and detailed way. It helps you to get a better understanding of the particular topic.
M.Tech Power System Engineering: What is it about?
- The curriculum of M.Tech Power Systems Engineering designed in such a way renders both theoretical and practical knowledge to students.
- During the program of the course, students are taught subjects like dynamics, power system analysis, operations, control, planning, reliability and protection, security, power quality and power system transients.
- The course also covers advanced topics like microprocessors and microcontrollers which helps to formulate an important part of the evolving power system technology.
- Students who are pursuing M.Tech. Power Systems Engineering course familiar with processes of analysing, developing, designing and evaluating high-end power systems. Thus, it enables students to manage a variety of challenging projects and research work.
Why Study M.Tech Power System Engineering Course?
Why do students want to pursue M.Tech in Power System Engineering thus it depends on their interest and goals? In general, way some reasons, why you have to pursue this particular course, are mentioned below:-
Professional Course: Power System is a sub-field in Electrical Engineering and Engineering in Electricals is one of the most famous branches of course. Thus, M.Tech in Power System Engineering is considered the professional course which has a high demand in the market and organization. Fresh passed out candidates will get the job soon if they have a desire or passion for working.
- Career Opportunities: Post Graduate Power System Engineers have wide career opportunities ranging from public to private organization and also in government sectors. An individual can also opt for higher studies such as Research Scholars and also prepare for the UGC NET examination to get a job in the college.
- Handsome Package: After the completion of the course, students will get a handsome pay scale ranging between INR 4,62,000 to INR 6,55,000 thus it depends on students capability and experience.
MTech Power System Engineering Passed Out Candidates can do a job as a title as Electrical power systems engineer, Electrical engineer infrastructure and power distribution, Power supply engineer, Line design engineer, Power transmission and distribution engineer and AC-DC power systems engineer etc.
M.Tech Power System Engineering: Course Comparison
The course comparison between M.Tech Power System Engineering and M.Tech Civil Engineering is mentioned below:-
|Parameters||M.Tech Power System Engineering||M.Tech Civil Engineering|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Focus Area||It consists of theoretical and practical knowledge. It deals with the state of art techniques such as stability evaluation planning, Reliability and Forecasting, Power Electronics and Drives||It is an application and skill-based course that deals with the study of creating structures like buildings, bridges, roads, dams, canals, etc. Both, private and public universities offer this course|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-Based or Entrance Exam||Merit-Based or Entrance Exam|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor’s Degree in B.Tech/ B.E in relevant specialization with 50% marks||Bachelor’s Degree in B.Tech/ B.E in relevant specialization with 50% marks|
|Average Course Fees||INR 14,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Job Options||Transmission engineer, Supply manager, Discom in charge, Power engineer, Design Engineer, Researcher, Professor & Lecturer||Construction Manager, Civil Engineer, Construction Project Manager, Plant Engineer, Professor, Researcher Inventory Manager, Consultant,|
|Areas of Employment||Hydroelectric Power Plants, Thermal Power Plants, State Wise Electricity Boards, Steel Industry, Electric Power Stations, Electricity Board, Research Establishments, Colleges & Universities||Irrigation companies, urban development, construction, structural engineering companies, land development, etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,62,000 to INR 6,55,000||INR 3,00,000 to 6,00,000 Per Annum|
M.Tech Power System Engineering: Top Colleges
The table shows a list of top Top M.Tech Power Engineering colleges or universities that offers a full-time course:
|Name of the College/ University||Average Annual Fees in INR|
|Indian Institute of Technology||INR 55,000|
|National Institute of Technology||INR 1.85 lacs|
|Malaviya National Institute of Technology||INR 2.27 lacs|
|Aligarh Muslim University||INR 14,000|
|Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology||INR 1.13 lacs|
|Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology||INR 95,000|
|College of Engineering(A)||INR 30,000|
M.Tech Power System Engineering: College Comparison
The table mentioned below represents the comparison of the top three M.Tech Power System Engineering Course in India Indian Institute of Technology, National Institute of Technology and Malaviya National Institute of Technology:
|Parameter||Indian Institute of Technology||National Institute of Technology||Malaviya National Institute of Technology|
|Objective||IIT Hyderabad is one of the renowned technical institutes in India. It is familiar with ideators and leaders in higher education and research, and to develop human power with creativity, technology and passion for the betterment of India and humankind.||To get a transformation of students into good human beings, responsible citizens competent professionals. The college focuses on the assimilation, generation and dissemination of knowledge.||Aim of the institute is to provide informative technical knowledge education of international standards and conduct research by implementing advanced technology to fulfil the recent and upcoming challenges relating to technological advancement.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||8||13||35|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 55,000||1.85 lacs||2.27 lacs|
|Average Annual Placement Package||10,75,000||7,00,000||4,75,459|
|Top Companies Visited||Amazon, Jaguar, Microsoft, Flipkart, Adobe, Indian Oil||Amazon Bajaj, Axis Bank, Qualcomm, Sprinklr||Accolite, Adobe, Capgemini, Carwale, Chambal Fertilizers, Tata Motors, Tata projects,|
M.Tech. in Power System Engineering: Syllabus
Most of the colleges/ universities have the same subjects in the syllabus of M.Tech. Power System Engineering. The subjects taught during the course are mentioned below as semester- wise.
|Semester 1||Power System Analysis and Operation|
|Electric Power Quality|
|Power System Lab - I|
|Energy Systems Lab|
|Seminar - I|
|Semester 2||Power System Dynamics & Control|
|Power System Protection|
|HVDC And Flexible Ac Transmission Systems|
|Power System Lab - II|
|Seminar - II|
|Thesis Part I|
|Research Review Paper I|
|Semester 4||Thesis Part II|
|Research Review Paper II|
|Renewable and Distributed Energy Sources|
|Energy, Ecology and Environment|
|High Voltage Engineering|
|Advanced Power Electronics|
|Energy Storage Systems|
|EHV/UHV Power Transmission Engineering|
|Statistical Signal Processing|
|Grid Integration of Renewable Energy Systems|
|Smart Grid Technology|
|Advanced High Voltage Engg.|
|Distribution System Engineering|
|Networks and Systems Security|
|Advanced Digital Signal Processing|
|Advanced Techniques in Operations Research|
Books that Students Can Refer to While Pursuing MTech Power System Engineering
Name of the subject books of M.Tech Power System Engineering are mentioned below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Naive Set Theory||Paul Halmos|
|Functions of one complex variable||John B. Conway|
|Power system Analysis||Hadi Saadat|
|HVDC transmission systems’||Padiyar K. R.|
|Switchgear Protection & Power Systems||Sunil S. Rao.|
|Handbook of Power Quality||Angelo Baggini|
|Artificial intelligence and Intelligent systems||N. P. Padhy|
MTech in Power System Engineering: Job Prospects
- Such postgraduates have career opportunities in government organizations, departments and enterprises. Some of them are Hydroelectric Power Plants, Indian Railways, Thermal Power Plants, BSNL, Colleges & Universities, BHEL, HAL, State Wise Electricity Boards, DRDO etc.
- Such postgraduates can do a job as a title with Assistant Engineers, Site Engineers, Field Test Engineer, Research & Development Software Engineer, Customer Support Engineer, Network Planning Engineer and in other officer-level positions after qualifying the relevant entrance exams
- They are also qualified to work in a private organization as Electrical Power System Engineers in different sectors such as Electrical goods manufacturing sector, the Telecommunications sector, Solar and Wind Energy sectors, Industries involved in production and manufacturing.
- Such candidates can also opt to pursue higher degrees by taking admission in PhD or doctoral research in the relevant specialization.
Some of the common job profiles open for such postgraduates are mentioned below along with correspondence basic job responsibilities and salaries:-
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Power Electronics Engineer||Develop electrical products by identifying customer needs Responsible for researching, testing, manufacturing and assembling methods and materials Responsible to prepare a final report by collecting, analyzing and summarizing all of the information Responsible to maintain the product as well as company reputation by following state and federal regulations||4.0 Lakh - 6 Lakh|
|Power Analyst||Responsible for Performing fundamental analysis of specific markets He/she has to Create and Automate workflow for power flow analysis and contingency analysis models Responsible to lead and support for model development efforts to improve the Analytical platform Responsible to analyze and generate dispatch curves, heat rates, transmission parameters, transmission congestion in electric grids Responsible to provide guidance to Juniors Analysts and get them ready to do work in speed||2 Lakh to 4 Lakh|
|Power Plant Operator||A power plant operator is basically in charge who looks after equipment needed to generate electricity, including boilers, turbines, gauges and controls, pumps, fans, and more. Responsible for cleaning, lubricating and maintaining equipment to prevent failures or excessive wear and tear. He/she is responsible to look after any defects/ issues in equipment or machinery and takes immediate action to repair it. Responsible to work in individuals and organizations from multiple sites to coordinate regional electrical generation||2.6 Lakh to 6 Lakh|
|Power System Engineer||Deliver solutions and support as per project schedules. Responsible for delivering support and solutions as per the schedule of the project. Responsible to create complete documentation which consists specifications of power system components Review design, calculate and simulate system as per ratings and release final reports. Responsible to record design, codes and comply with related standards. Responsible to evaluate interconnection standards and transmission feasibility, system impact and facility studies or testing new electrical components of a specified project||5 to 5.5 Lacs|
Future Scope of MTech Power System Engineers
Qualified M.Tech power system engineers have a good scope in future. Some of them are mentioned below:-
- M.Tech Power System Engineering postgraduates can do a job in private, public and government organizations mentioned above in detail.
- They are also qualified to do a job in colleges or universities as professor or lecturer
- One can also opt to pursue higher studies such as PhD, Research Degree in relevant specialization by enrolling admission in top Doctoral college.
- Those who are interested in the teaching profession can prepare for competitive examinations like UGC NET. After qualifying the UGC NET exam, they are eligible to get a professor job in government colleges with a handsome pay scale.
- Such postgraduates can also opt to prepare for competitive examinations to get a job in organizations like BHEL, Indian Armed Forces, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Indian Railways etc
MTech Power System FAQs
Ques. What is the course duration of MTech Power System Engineering?
Ques. Is there any entrance exam to get admission into the MTech Power System Engineering course?
Ques. What is the educational qualification required to get admission into the MTech Power System Engineering course?
Ques. What is the admission procedure for admission into the MTech Power System Engineering program?
Ques Name the companies where such postgraduates are eligible to get a job?
Ques What is the work of a Power System Engineer?
Ques: What are the job prospects for MTech power system engineers?
Ques: What job title offered to such postgraduates?
Ques: What is the average salary offered to M.Tech Power System Engineers?
Ques: What is the Eligibility Criteria for M.Tech Power System Engineering?