MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding is a 2 year full time graduate course that provides students opportunities to learn about nutrients in animals and other biological sciences, the application of nutritional sciences to health, the digestive process, and welfare of companion pet animals.
This course also focuses on the application of biological and chemical principles and management of animals and production of animal products. This gives instructions in nutrition sciences, biochemistry, animal sciences, food science and technology, hatchery design and related aspects of animal safety and health.
Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science from any institute/university recognized by veterinary council with minimum of 55% marks or CGPA not less than 6.0 in 10 point scale to be eligible for admission to this course.
The average fees charged by the Indian Universities/ Colleges for this course ranges between INR 10,000 and 2,00,000.
See Also: Top MVSc Colleges in India
The MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding Syllabus includes topics like Development in animal cytogenetics and immunogenetics of farm animals. Immunoglobulins and their types, Animal Cytogenetics and Immunogenetics, Molecular Genetics in Animal Breeding etc.
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding graduates after completing this course can work as Animal Care and Service Workers, Associate Scientific Manager, Biological Scientists, Lecturer, Manager Animal Farm, Partner, Assistant to Practitioners etc.
The average salary of such graduates lies around INR 4,00,000 per annum, which gradually increases with the experience and skills that they have.
Through the MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course, students gain the knowledge and skills required to apply quantitative genetics theory to practical problems in the animal-science industry and to undertake research in quantitative genetics, genome analysis and animal improvement.
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Course Highlights
|Examination Type||Semester type|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any stream of science|
|Admission Process||All India veterinary test, Indian veterinary research institute examination, Animal husbandry entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 8,000 to 3,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Fuzen pharmaceuticals private limited, Nutricare Life science limited, ISCOMN, ABT industries and many others.|
|Job Positions||Animal Care and Service Workers, Associate Scientific Manager, Biological Scientists, Lecturer, Manager Animal Farm, Partner, Assistant to Practitioners, Pharmacy Research Scientists, Private Practice, Senior Medical Representative, Veterinary Doctor, Veterinary Consultant, Veterinary Researcher, Veterinary Surgeon, Veterinary Technologists and Technicians|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Admission Process
The institutes follow the system of an entrance exam, few of the institutes might have a round of personal interview (PI) round. Though the admission process varies from college to college, but the general admission procedure is mentioned below:
- Most of the institutes have an online application system when once the link is opened you can apply through the prescribed link.
- Most of the institutes also take in candidates who have a good score in the ICAR AIEEA-PG exam so apply for the same also.
- In the cases of merit-based admission, the institutes will release cutoff marks which will be the minimum marks required for admission.
- In the case of admission through entrance exams, the candidates are shortlisted on the basis of scores in the entrance examination.
- Some institutes also consider both entrance exam scores and scores in the qualifying exam for shortlisting the candidates in the MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course .
The stepwise application process for MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course is discussed below:
- Step 1: Candidates need to go to the website of the college that you are interested in. They must create an id or fill in a form as prescribed and fill the details and pay the prescribed fees.
- Step 2: They must also submit the required documents if needed during the admission process.
- Step 3: Apply for the prescribed entrance exam through the official website of the conducting body of the Institute.
- Step 4: The admit card will be provided soon after the application is processed by the institutes. Candidates must keep track of the dates of the exams.
- Step 5: After the exam results are announced, the shortlisted candidates will be called for document verification for the counselling round. The eligible candidates will be granted admission to the MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course.
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Eligibility Criteria
Below given is the eligibility criteria that the students must follow to get admission in MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course:
- The candidate should have graduated with a bachelor’s (UG) degree in veterinary science and animal husbandry or in veterinary science.
- The candidate should have graduated with a minimum of 55% aggregate.
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Entrance Exams
Students are selected in MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course on the basis of marks obtained in the common entrance exams conducted by the veterinary council. The main entrance exam for admission to MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding is the one conducted by the ICAR. In addition to the ICAR exam, most of the institutes have their own round of entrance exams along with few seats sanctioned for candidates who have cleared the ICAR entrance exam.
- ICAR All India Entrance Exam: It is conducted in the month of June for admission in MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course. This exam is conducted for admission to veterinary institutes under ICAR. For veterinary science, the major subjects that candidates have to prepare are veterinary anatomy, veterinary gynaecology, immunology, etc.
- GBPUAT: This examination is conducted for admission to Govind Ballabh Pant University Agriculture and Technology. Only candidates who are bonafide residents of Uttarakhand are eligible to apply for this examination. For other state candidates, they have to clear the ICAR AIEEA exam for admission to this institute.
|Exam||Conducting Body||Date of Entrance Exam|
|ICAR AIEEA PG 2021||ICAR||First week of June 2021|
|GBPUAT 2021||GB Pant University||June 02, 2021|
How to prepare for MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding entrance exams?
- Candidates must study the syllabus provided thoroughly as well as the exam pattern.
- They must make notes while studying as these can help up with last-minute quick revisions.
- Candidates must focus on the weak subjects and allocate more time to them.
- Study from the recommended books of ICAR AIEEA-PG as this will help in preparation for other examinations also.
- If previous years question papers are available, then it is good to solve them as it will build up confidence of the candidates. While solving the previous papers, keep in mind that there are negative marks so attempt the questions accordingly.
How to get admission in a good MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding college?
Below given are the following tips that students must follow to get admission into top colleges offering MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding courses.
- A research of the top colleges and the curriculum for MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course will help the candidate.
- The syllabus, faculty, career options, placements should be the guiding step to filter out colleges according to the candidate’s ease of access.
- Constant checking of the updates and notifications is important from the official website for the candidates.
- Having a talk with the Seniors or alumni about the prospect can help in choosing the best college .
- Preparing for the entrance exam before hand as per the syllabus given.
- Practice, brushing up on knowledge and then clearing the cut off will only fetch the candidate their ideal institute offering MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course.
- Reservation quota is always available in the top institutions for the students so the candidates must look after that.
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Syllabus
Below given is the semester wise syllabus of MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Animal Cytogenetics||Selection Methods and Breeding System|
|Immunogenetics||Biometrical Techniques in Animal Breeding|
|Molecular Genetics in Animal Breeding||Conservation of Animal Genetic Resource|
|Population and Quantitative Genetics in Animal Breeding||Cattle and Buffalo Breeding|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Small Farm Animal Breeding||Poultry Breeding|
|Advances in Molecular Cytogenetics||Advances in selection methodology|
|Advances in molecular cytogenetics||Bioinformatics in animal genetics and breeding|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Recommended Books
Below given are the books that the students can use as study materials for MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Animal genetics: an introduction to the science of animal breeding||F. A. E. Crew|
|Molecular and Quantitative Animal Genetics||Hasan Khatib|
|Problems on quantitative genetics||Douglas Scott Falconer|
|Text Book of Animal Breeding||R. Thiagarajan|
|Dalton's introduction to practical animal breeding||Malcolm Willis|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Top Colleges
Below given is the list of top colleges offering MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding courses.
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Bihar Agricultural University, Bhagalpur||INR 8,380|
|Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar||INR 33,424|
|NDUAT, Faizabad||INR 66,000|
|Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar||INR 18,000|
|Pondicherry University, Pondicherry||INR 31,450|
|SHUATS, Allahabad||INR 60,000|
|Shoolini University, Solan||INR 1,70,000|
|Amity University, Raipur||INR 98,000|
|Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak||INR 20,274|
|Andhra University, Visakhapatnam||INR 70,400|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: College Comparison
Below given is a college comparison amongst the top colleges offering MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding courses in India. This comparison is conducted on the basis of a few parameters that will help the students to select the desired college with ease.
|Parameters||Pondicherry University||Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology|
|College Overview||Pondicherry University was established in 1985 and has ranked the university at 81st for the overall performance of the university in NIRF 2020 rankings. It also runs 26 Diploma / Certificate Add-On Courses in the evening session.||GBPUAT AKA Pantnagar University, was established in 1960 in Pantnagar, Uttarakhand. It offers various UG, PG and PhD courses in specialized fields.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Fee||INR 31,450||INR 33,424|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 3,50,000|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Course Comparison
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding Vs MVSc Animal Nutrition
Below given is a comparison between MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding and MVSc Animal Nutrition. This comparison is done on the basis of few parameters that will help the candidate to choose the desired subject with much ease.
|Parameter||MVSc Animal Nutrition||MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding|
|Full Form||Masters in Veterinary Science in Animal Nutrition||Masters in Veterinary Science in Animal Genetics and Breeding|
|Duration||2 Year||2 Years|
|Course Overview||This course covers concepts and processes of animal feeding, breeding, reproduction, health, genetics, and maintenance. It studies about animal functions such as feeding, breeding, reproduction, health, genetics, and maintenance.||It is a specialized course covering the main aspects of animal genetics and breeding which are required to improve a trait or traits of any animal for domestication or research purpose.|
|Average Fees||INR 20,000 to 1,80,000||INR 20,000 to 2,00,000|
|Top Job Profiles||Animal dietician, Animal nutritionist, Veterinary technician, Dairy consultant, Veterinary Storekeeper, etc.||Animal Care and Service Workers, Associate Scientific Manager, Biological Scientists, Lecturer, Manager Animal Farm, Partner, Assistant to Practitioners, Pharmacy Research Scientists, Private Practice, Senior Medical Representative, etc|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Future Scope
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding is a highly pursued course among students who have a knack for animal care and research. Students are trained in various aspects required to become a veterinarian and have a career in Animal Genetics and Breeding.
The common employment areas are animal hospitals, animal care clinics, grooming centers, animal research institutes, and many others.
- Other than a veterinarian, you can also become a veterinary technician, veterinary surgeon, animal breeder, animal science researcher, animal care social worker, etc.
- Graduates can also Join SSC as Remount Veterinary Corp (RVC) in the Indian Army.
- They can also go for PhD courses as it is the highest degree in the field of veterinary science that offers many specializations such as Surgery, Microbiology, Pathology, etc. Admission in PhD in Veterinary Science is usually done based on performance in a relevant entrance examination, followed by a counseling session.
- Some of the major specializations in this field are:
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: Job Profiles
Below given are the various job profiles for the MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding graduates along with their job description and average salary
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Veterinarian Assistant||They are professionals who care for animals under the supervision of a veterinarian or veterinary technician. They are responsible for feeding, bathing, and exercising the animals, and they restrain them during examinations and treatment.||INR 5,00,000|
|Animal Care and Service Workers||They are responsible for the care and well-being of animals. Their Job duties include daily cleaning of animal areas, feeding, monitoring animal health, assisting with restraint for medical procedures, and assorted other daily cleaning tasks such as washing litter boxes, dishes, laundry etc.||INR 4,50,000|
|Biological Scientists||They study living organisms and their relationship to the environment. They perform research to gain a better understanding and knowledge of fundamental life processes and apply that understanding to developing new products or processes.||INR 4,00,000|
|Manager Animal Farm||Their responsibilities include monitoring staff, crops, and livestock, purchasing supplies, preparing budgets and reports, and ensuring maximum profit.||INR 3,50,000|
|Animal physician||They examine animals to diagnose their health problems, Treat and dress wounds, Perform surgery on animals, Test for and vaccinate against diseases, Prescribe medication and Euthanize animals. They also provide treatment for animals that is similar to the services a physician provides to treat human beings.||INR 5,20,000|
MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding: FAQs
Ques. What is meant by MVSc.?
Ques. Can I become a doctor after pursuing MVSc?
Ques. What are the various fields that a MVSc Graduates can work in?
- Start your own clinic
- Start your own dairy, poultry, piggery, rabbit farms etc.
- Join government job if you have good CGPA
- Work at equine turf clubs
- Join pharmaceutical industry
- Pet breeder and boarding facilities
- Join university as professor
- Work at milk unions in your state like Amul, Nandini etc.
- Research associate in private firms
Ques. Will one be able to pursue an MVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding after a BTech Biotech?
Ques. How much does a MVSC Animal Genetics and Breeding earn in a private clinic in India?