MVSC in veterinary and Animal Husbandry is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course which is specialized in veterinary and Animal husbandry. It is a full-time course that deals with medicine for Animals.
The subjects that are taught during the course include Animal Husbandry program planning and Evaluation, Social Psychology and Group Dynamics, Gender and Livestock Management, and many more. The minimum eligibility to apply for this course is a bachelor's degree in science/BVSC. The average program fee ranges between INR 28,000 to 3.25 Lacs.
The candidates have to appear for the entrance test conducted by various colleges and universities under the guidance of the Veterinary Council of India which conducts and monitors various medical courses on veterinary science over the country. The admission will be based on the merit list declared by the particular university or institute.
Get more information about MVSc courses
The average program fee ranges between INR 28,000 to 3.25 Lacs. After the completion of the course, one can get a job through placements in various profiles such as Veterinarian Assistant, Veterinary Surgeon, Veterinary Dermatologist, Animal Husbandry Technician, Animal Husbandry Officer, etc. One can even opt for Ph.D. in a specialized course for further studies.
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Course Highlights
|Full-form||Masters in veterinary science: veterinary science and animal husbandry extension|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree in Science or BVSc at least aggregate of 55% marks|
|Admission process||Merit-based/ Entrance based|
|Course fee||Up to INR 28,000 to 3.25 Lacs|
|Average salary||INR 2 to 9 Lacs(approx)|
|Top recruiting companies||Drug Research Institutions, Fishery Department, Para Veterinary Staff Training Schools, etc|
|Job positions||Veterinarian, Veterinarian Technician, Pharmacy Research Scientist, Animal Farm Manager, etc|
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Admission Process
- The admission process for the course is either entrance based or merit-based. The admission criteria changes with universities and colleges. However, some of the common criteria are mentioned below:
- One can apply for the course through the online/offline mode as per the college by following the college rules.
- In case of entrance through entrance examinations, Admissions will be done based on the entrance exam conducted by the universities or the examinations under The Veterinary Council of India (VCI).
- In the case of merit-based admissions, the college will declare a merit list for the eligible students based on the academic score.
- Some of the colleges also consider both entrance exam scores and scores in the qualifying exam for shortlisting the candidates.
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: How to Apply?
- Fill-up the application form and submit it.
- Then submit the prescribed documents with the application fee.
- Appear for the entrance examination.
- Based on the exam result, admission will be done through the counseling process.
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria required for admission to the program of Master of Veterinary Science in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension are listed below:
- The candidates have to qualify for the Bachelor’s degree in veterinary Science in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry with at least 55% of aggregate marks.
- The candidates who have qualified for the BSC or any equivalent degree with Biology and Zoology as a subject are eligible for the course.
- The candidates must need to pass the entrance examination as per the institute norms.
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Entrance exams
ICAR All India Entrance Exam (ICAR-AIEEA): The exam is conducted for getting admission to various UG, PG, and Ph.D. courses.in agriculture and allied sciences. One can get admission into a veterinary course through this examination. For veterinary science, the major subjects that one has to prepare are veterinary anatomy, veterinary gynecology, immunology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Surgery & Radiology, Veterinary Pharmacology, and Toxicology, etc.
- GBPUAT: Govind Ballabh Pant University Agriculture and Technology institute conducts the entrance examination for getting admission to the PG course. Based on the score, the merit list will be released, and accordingly, admission will be given for vthe non-Uttarakhand candidates, one has to pass the ICAR AIEE exam for admission.
- KVAFSU: This entrance examination is conducted by Karnataka Veterinary, Animal, and Fisheries Sciences University (KVAFSU) university. Admission to the PG programs is done based on the qualifying degree merit and the university written test conducted by the university. One must need to satisfy the eligibility criteria fie the test.
- SVVU: Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) conducts the entrance examination for the students seeking admission to the MVSC program. Admission will be done based on the entrance test score and academic score which will be followed by the counseling.
|Exam Name||Mode||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|ICAR AIEEA 2021||online||The first week of March 2021||The first week of June 2021|
|GBPUAT||offline||February 15, 2021||June 2, 2021|
|SVVU||offline||End date: July 2021||August 13, 2021|
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Tips to prepare for the entrance examination?
The syllabus of almost all the entrance examinations is similar.
- Most of the entrance examinations will be the objective type that is Multiple choice questions.
- The exam mode will be either online/offline as per the university rules.
- The syllabus of the question paper will usually consist of the sub-subjects under the major discipline.
- One has to pass the minimum marks criteria set by the university to get admission in the particular institute/university.
- Points to keep in mind while preparing for the entrance examination:
One should give equal weightage to all the given topics.
- Give more time to the difficult ones according to you.
- Make a proper timetable for proper time management and revision.
- Make short notes for formulas and important points while studying.
- Practice more and more by appearing for the mock-tests and try to solve the previous year's question papers.
- Keep your environment peaceful from the nuisance and keep your body and mind healthy which is the most important thing to do well in exams
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: What is it About?
- MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry is a specialized field of Veterinary medical science that educates the students about the treatment of animal diseases and ailments.
- The main aim of the program is to provide detailed knowledge on various aspects of animal husbandry, covering the various disciplines of Veterinary Science.
- MVSc in Animal Husbandry Extension is a comprehensive field of study which aims at increasing the knowledge of candidates who wish to gain a deeper insight into the field.
- The students are trained to gain knowledge in various areas such as Heifer management, fodder enrichment, weaning of calves, utilization of milk products, and many more.
Why Study MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension?
A Master’s degree in Veterinary Science is equivalent to a medical degree as you would cover the same range of topics, regardless of the topics.
- This field is highly competitive and it requires a high level of skills. So after graduation, one can be called a very skilled candidate.
- One gets to know about both the theoretical and practical knowledge about the field.
- With the proper curriculum and knowledge, one can easily take up research programs in the future.
- One gets to know about the reality of farmers, animal husbandry and can closely relate it through various camps and visits.
- One can be placed in various public and private sectors for the jobs in the future.
- ·In the future, one can also take a Ph.D.in Veterinary Science and become a professor also.
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Top Colleges
|Top colleges||Location||Average Course fee|
|Kerala veterinary and animal science university||Wayanad||INR 46,200/-|
|Junagadh agricultural university||Junagadh||INR 39300/-|
|Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Science University||Chennai||INR 32,413/-|
|Central agricultural university||Imphal||INR 5,550/-|
|Bombay veterinary college||Mumbai||INR 10,500/- (General fees)|
|The College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry||Junagadh||N/A|
|P.V. Narsimha Rao Telangana Veterinary University||Hyderabad||INR 34,340/-|
|College of Veterinary and Animal sciences||Parbhani||N/A|
|Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Science (RAJUVAS)||Bikaner||INR 15,740 (general fees)|
|Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University||Bidar||INR 6000/-(for day scholar)|
MVSC in Veterinary Medicine vs MVSC in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Which is Better?
The course comparison between MVSC in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension and MVSC in veterinary medicine is as follows.
|Parameters||MVSC in veterinary medicine||MVSC in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Overview||It deals with the applications of dental, clinical, therapeutic, medical, diagnostic, and surgical methods for the treatment of animals.||it is a specialized field of Veterinary medical science educating students about the treatment of animal diseases and ailments|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance/ Merit-based||Entrance /Merit-based|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field||Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field|
|Average course fee||INR 9,000 to 1 Lac||INR 28,000 to 3.25 Lacs|
|Annual salary||INR 2 to 15 Lacs||Approx. INR 2 to 9 Lacs|
|Job profiles||Medical Representative, Veterinary Surgeon, Veterinarian||Veterinarian, Veterinarian Technician, Pharmacy Research Scientist,|
|Recruiting areas||Zoo and Wildlife Parks, Veterinary Pharma Companies, Animal Health Trust, Animal Welfares||Fishery Department, Drug Research Institutions, Para Veterinary Staff Training Schools|
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Course Syllabus
The subjects taught for the MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension program are almost similar in most of the engineering colleges.
The syllabus for the entire course is as follows:
|MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension||Animal Husbandry Development Programmes|
|Diffusion and Adoption of Animal||Developments in the concept of Extension|
|Communication for Livestock Development||Research Methodology in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension|
|Extension Techniques and Audio-Visual Aids||Animal Husbandry program planning and Evaluation|
|Social Psychology and Group Dynamics||Human Resource Management in Animal Husbandry Sector|
|Information and Communication Technology and its application in Livestock Development||Gender and Livestock Management|
|Organizational Management||Farm Journalism and Public Relations|
|Policies and Regulations in Livestock||Advanced research techniques in social|
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Job Profiles
Through both the theory and practical knowledge of this field in the curriculum, the students are highly skilled for the job and become easy for them to evaluate real-life problems.
After the completion of the course of MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension, students get the opportunity to explore the field in the areas such as Veterinary, Healthcare, Animal Husbandry, and Animal Welfare, work for shelter houses, Drug Research Department, Experimental Animal Unit, etc. and are placed in various positions.
Some of the most common job profiles along with their description are listed below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Annual Salary|
|Veterinarian||He takes care of animals by diagnosing ailments, treating diseases, conducting research to improve medications.||5-6 lacs|
|Associate Scientific Manager||He collects data, research, trains and modifies the processes used in the treatment of animals and livestock.||5-7 lacs|
|Veterinary Consultant||He Supervises the subordinate staff, and carries on the animal welfare activities.||5-7 lacs|
|Animal Farm Manager||He looks after the feeding of animals by checking the quality of the food.||3-5 lacs|
|Biological Scientist||work in various fields of biology related to marine, ecology, zoology, physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology, and Prepare reports and carry on the thesis.||6-7 lacs|
|Pharmacy Research Scientist||Study the processes of drugs and investigate new methods for curing.||5.5 -7 lacs|
|Veterinary Technician||He takes care of the animals by checking the animal’s condition, manages wounds etc||2-4 lacs|
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: Future Scope
The MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension graduates can prefer to do jobs or business on completion of the course. They can even opt for further studies. The most common choices of the BE graduates are listed below:
- Jobs: One can get placed in various sectors such as sectors of Veterinary, Healthcare, Animal Husbandry, and Animal Welfare, work for shelter houses, Drug Research Department, Experimental Animal Unit, Fishery Department and much more and can do the job.
- Profession: One can become Animal Farm Manager, Veterinarian, Biological Scientist, Associate Scientific Manager, etc.
- Further studies: One can do a Ph.D. in a specific field after pursuing a master's degree in the veterinary field.
- Business: One can start their own business in this field with expertise in training and research.
How to get admission to a good college?
To secure admission to a good college, the following points have to be remembered:
- Sort the preferred top-notch colleges in that specific field. Try to take reviews from the seniors or guides regarding the placements, fees, college life, course curriculum, etc of the colleges.
- Get to know about the difficulty level of the entrance exam conducted by that college and the type of questions asked in the exam.
- Try to attempt at least 60% of the asked questions.
- Be aware of the entrance exam pattern and marking system.
- Make sure that you score more than the last cutoffs of the desired college.
- Be aware of the result list of admissions and counseling dates.
- Some of the colleges also take an interview as a second-round for admission, so make sure that you are aware of all the recent affairs of the world along with the general knowledge.
MVSc Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension: FAQs
Ques: What is the course duration of MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension?
Ques: Is there any entrance examination for admission to MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension?
Ques: What is the admission procedure for admission to the MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension?
Ques: What is the minimum eligibility criteria for MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension course?
Ques: Which are the top colleges for the MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension course?
Ques: What is the average course fee for the MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension course in Indian colleges?
Ques: What are the different subjects taught in the MVSc in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension course?
Ques: What are the career options after pursuing the extension course?
Ques: What is the work of an animal farm manager?
Ques: What is the average annual salary of the postgraduates after the completion of the course?