The MPhil in Management is a pre-doctorate course of 1-year duration divided into two semesters. The MPhil in Management is a taught master’s program which offers a thorough grounding in management. It sets high academic standards and is based upon the latest academic research in the field. This course includes subjects like research methodology, strategic management, management economics, strategic development, advanced in management etc.
The basic eligibility for this course is, the candidate must have a second class masters’ degree in management, commerce, social welfare or any other relevant subject from any recognized university with a minimum 55% marks aggregate. But the minimum marks required may vary from college to college.
Most of the colleges grant admission to this course on the basis of written examination followed by an interview and students should hold masters’ degree in relevant subjects with a minimum 55% marks aggregate.
The Average cost for pursuing MPhil in Management is INR 20,000 –2 Lakhs while the exact fees vary from college to college.
Here we have mentioned some of the top colleges offering MPhil Management course, according to NIRF College Ranking Survey 2020 in the table given below:
|Collegedunia Rating 2020||College Name||Course Fees||Average Salary Package|
|8.3||Christ University, Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 70,000||INR 6.85 Lakhs|
|8.5||Himalayan University, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh||INR 81,000||INR 5.5 Lakhs|
|7.9||Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, Delhi NCR||_||INR 5 Lakhs|
|7.9||Goa University, Goa||INR 17,900||INR 3.05 Lakhs|
|7.3||Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||_||_|
The students can also opt this course through distance learning mode as well, from so many reputed colleges and Universities. Reputed open universities like Alagappa Institute of Management, Osmania University, Hindustan College of Arts & Science, etc. provide this course through distance learning mode.
The average annual fees for studying BA Hindi through distance learning are INR 2,000 to INR 1 Lakh.
After completing this course, the candidates can find jobs in the fields of lecturer, speaker, teacher, assistant professor, consultant, scientist, human services worker, research assistant, editor, etc.
The average starting salary after completing this course generally lies between INR 2 to INR 25 Lakhs depending on the skills of the candidates.
There is a wide career scope after MPhil in Management, you could aspire to a successful career as research assistant, a lab technician, project manager, or teaching fellow, which is to only name a few. Even in the present global economic situation, MPhil Management graduates are still in demand.
What is the Admission Process of MPhil Management?
Admission to the MPhil Management program is conducted either through entrance examination or merit based. Applications for admission can be available either from the university’s official website or by visiting the admission office for the same.
You may use one application form to apply for MPhil in only one department.
Use separate application forms to apply for two or more departments and each application form must be complete in all respects.
Candidates may apply for the MPhil. Program in a maximum of three departments.
What Is the MPhil Management Eligibility Criteria?
Students who wish to pursue a MPhil in management course must meet up with the following eligibility criteria. The minimum marks required in the Master’s degree in a related field may vary from college to college.
- The minimum qualification needed for admission to the MPhil in management programs is a second-class masters or equivalent degree in the relevant subject awarded by a recognized university in India or abroad, with at least an average of 55% of aggregate marks, or a grade point of 3.5 under the seven-point scale of the university grants commission (UGC).
- In the case of SC/ST/OBC differently able candidates, the minimum eligibility is an average of 45% of aggregate marks, or a grade point average of 2.50.
- Candidates, who are likely to complete all the requirements of their final year master’s degree by July 1, are also eligible to apply for MPhil in management course. In such cases admission will be provisional.
- In case of provisional admission if a provisionally admitted aspirant successfully completes the admission formalities including clearing the entrance test, but fails to score the minimum required marks/grades at the end of the final year examination of his/her master’s degree the offer of provisional admission will automatically get cancelled.
- In case of MPhil in management program, there is no requirement of work experience. So, candidates with one to two years of work experience, will be preferred.
Which MPhil Management Entrance Exams Are Held in India?
The detailed information about each exam in India conducted for the admission in MPhil in management which includes general information about the exam, important dates, syllabus, preparation tips and much more.
- JNUEE- JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam) is an entrance examination that is conducted every year by Jawaharlal Nehru University to invite applications for various programs. JNUEE 2020 exam pattern is such that the test is typically for three hours’ duration. The exam will be conducted in online mode. In the exam candidates are asked MCQ type questions.
- VITMEE- Vellore Institute of Technology Masters Entrance Examination 2020 will not be conducted this year. Through this entrance exam candidate can secure admissions in VIT University’s Vellore and Chennai campus. Apart from VITMEE, candidates can also secure admissions at VIT University’s MTech courses based on their GATE scores.
- CUCET- CUCET 2020 Application Form last date has been extended to 13 August 2020. This exam is conducted in online mode only from 01 January to 15 August 2020. Chandigarh University Common Entrance Test is a university-level exam held annually to provide the aspiring candidate's admission into the undergraduate and postgraduate courses in several fields.
- LPUNEST- Lovely Professional University National Eligibility and Scholarship Test (LPUNEST) is conducted by Lovely Professional University (LPU) every year. It is a university level examination that is held once in a year for admission of candidates to various courses available at the university. Some of the major courses offered by Lovely Professional University include Engineering, Law, Agriculture, Design, Hotel Management and MBA.
|Exam Name||Exam Date||Application Date||Exam Mode|
|JNUEE||To be announced||2 March 2020 – 30 June 2020||Online|
|VITMEE||Cancelled||6 March 2020 – 20 June 2020 (extended)||Online|
|CUCET||September 18 – September 20, 2020||16 March 2020 – 6 June 2020||Offline|
|LPUNEST||Up to 31 July 2020||Ongoing||Online|
How to Prepare for the MPhil Management Entrance Exams?
The most important for a student is to decide factors responsible for succeeding in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern. To prepare properly for the MPhil Management entrance exam, the candidates should keep in mind the following points mentioned below while preparing for the entrance exam:
- Before starting preparation, do some research by looking at the complete syllabus and old papers.
- While preparing, prepare easy chapters first, many times it happens that people are stuck in difficult chapters and those take too much time in chapters.
- Current entrance examination will contain subjects like Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability, Logical reasoning, General ability and Current affairs.
- You can check the previous year papers for MPhil Management entrance and accordingly you will get the idea of questions expected.
- You can also give practice tests to analyze your preparation.
How to Get Admission in A Good MPhil Management College?
Getting a seat in a good college becomes a lot easier when one knows the complete path which one would be required to travel while going through the admission process. Candidates should keep the following things in their mind to get admission in the top college of MPhil Management:
- Your percentage in Bachelors’ of science degree in relevant discipline should be according to the university’s eligibility criteria.
- Nearly all the university admissions officers look for evidence of an inquiring mind in a student's applications, so you should have an inquiring mind.
- Practice previous year’s papers to improve your time management skills at the time of entrance exams.
- If you have the option, choose to take as many challenging courses as you can handle in high school, such as college prep, advanced placement, honors, and international baccalaureate courses, not only can these kinds of courses help you earn college credits, but getting good test scores on AP tests can dramatically improve your chances of acceptance.
Be updated with the deadlines of filling the application forms through websites, newspapers and magazines.
MPhil Management: What Is It About?
It is very important for a student to have complete information about the program which one wants to pursue. One must be very clear about the expectations which one tends to keep from the course he/she opt. Hence to ease the process, a brief idea about the MPhil in management program is mentioned below:
- The MPhil the Management program equips the researcher to aspire for higher disciplinary and methodology competence in research.
- The program provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for planning, designing, engaging and interpreting research data for problem solving and consultancy for researchers, academicians, practitioners and corporate.
- The course also enhances the ability to think systematically, and apply quantitative methods and provide the scholars the knowledge, skills and insights in identifying and solving problems in the management area independently.
- Students undergoing MPhil in Management have to study both compulsory and optional papers from each area of specialization i.e., Marketing, Economics and Finance, HR, OB and others.
For the course completion, students have to carry out case studies, presentations, research, and comprehensive and advanced research solutions.
MPhil Management: Course Highlights
Here are some of the most popular highlights of the MPhil in management degree program that have been tabulated below:
|Full form||Masters’ of Philosophy in Management|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in a related field|
|Admission Process||Entrance test followed by an interview|
|Average Tuition Fee||Between INR 20,000 and 2 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 25 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Private sectors, public sectors, corporate firms and educational firms.|
Why Opt for MPhil Management?
MPhil management program is one of the perfect courses for those students who want to make themselves comfortable in the business management field because in this course the graduates will have to go through the required training and gain the required skill set to work efficiently.
- MPhil in Management course teaches you to understand how people behave in organization, and the nature of power, influence and leadership.
- Whether you aim to be self-employed, an entrepreneur, head your own company, or to work for private business, not-for-profit organizations or government agencies, management gives you the tools for success.
- Explore the issues facing individuals and organizations in the workplace today. There are many reasons to study MPhil in Management.
- Students will be able to learn how to financially manage a corporate account and gain other skills too, such as learning how to make decisions with a tight budget or how to give out bonuses.
- In the MPhil Management program, you consistently have the opportunity to collaborate with your peers, to gain insights from fellow students, and to work out any challenges or questions you may have through the program’s educators.
- MPhil in Management vs Ph.D. in Management: Which One Should You Choose? (h3)
Both courses, MPhil in Management and Ph.D. in Management are management courses and are widely provided by many universities across India. They are somewhat similar but there is some difference between them. Below table lists the basic differences between them:
|Parameters||MPhil in Management||PhD in Management|
|Specialization||Finance, Marketing, Human Resource and so many.||Human Resource Management, Project Management, etc.|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in a related field.||Masters’ degree in the stream of management studies.|
|Admission process||Entrance based followed by interview.||Merit or entrance studies.|
|Average annual fees||INR 20,000 – 2 Lakhs||INR 10,000 to 3 Lakhs|
|Job positions||Management consultant, Human resource management, economists, researcher, etc.||Marketing manager, production manager, data analyst, management analyst, business analyst, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2 – 25 Lakhs||INR 20,000 – 20 Lakhs|
Which are the MPhil in Management Top Colleges?
A number of colleges and universities in India offer the course MPhil Management out of which, some of the top colleges and institutes are listed below, along with the corresponding average annual course fees charged by each.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|16||Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, Delhi NCR||_||INR 5 Lakhs|
|101||Goa University, Goa||INR 17,900||INR 3.05 Lakhs|
|152||Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||_||_|
|_||Christ University, Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 70,000||INR 6.85 Lakhs|
|_||Himalayan University, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh||INR 81,000||INR 5.5 Lakhs|
|_||Mahatma Gandhi Central University, Motihari, Bihar||INR 35,218||INR 2-4 Lakhs|
|_||Mother Teresa Women’s University, Dindigul, Tami Nadu||INR 7,500||INR 5-6 Lakhs|
|_||Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh||INR 30,000||INR 2.40 Lakhs|
|_||NIILM University, Kaithal, Haryana||INR 60,000||INR 5 Lakhs|
|_||Shobhit University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh||INR 66,200||INR 2.40 Lakhs|
MPhil in Management Top 3 Colleges
A comparison has been made among some of the top colleges offering MPhil Management courses in the table given below. The comparison is based on the parameters like NIRF 2020 ranking, admission process, annual fees, average salary, and top recruiters.
|Parameter||Jamia Millia Islamia||Goa University||Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University|
|Overview||Jamia Millia Islamia offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diploma and Distance Learning Education for students. The institution shows lots of history and is famous for it is rich in culture and has its own elegance. Many foreigners were impressed with the university and eventually many of them became part of this university.||The university was established in 1985 and is one of the few universities in the country to offer Western languages such as Portuguese, French and other languages. It has been affiliated with over 55 colleges in the state and 29 of these colleges provide general education and the rest provide professional education enrollment.||Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, [BBAU] Lucknow is a Central University, established on 10th January 1996. The university has been approved by UGC. The University pays special attention to the promotion of educational and economic interests and welfare of the people in general and members belonging to the SC/ST in particular.|
|NIRF 2020 Ranking||16||101||152|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||Goa||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by PI||Entrance exam followed by PI||Entrance exam followed by PI|
|Average Annual Fees||_||INR 17,900||_|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5 Lakhs||INR 3.05 Lakhs||_|
|Top Recruiters||TCS, OYO, Shareit, OPTUM, UnitedHealth Group, JLL Consulting, Wipro, IBM, L&T Construction, TFT, Vedanta, SAMSUNG, SIEMENS etc.||Wipro, SESA, Birla, KARVY, Eureka, Goa Shipyard Limited, Bajaj etc.||Cadbury, ITC, Hindustan Unilever Limited, PepsiCo, Syntel, Britannia, Nestle, Perfetti, Aspiring, Dabur, Pepsi, Agro, Godrej, Amul, Parle etc.|
What is the MPhil in Management Syllabus?
MPhil in management course syllabus is divided into 2 semesters, teaching subjects like research methodology, strategic management, management economics, and much more. Tabulated below is a semester-wise syllabus of the course.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Research Methodology||Dissertation/ Project work|
|Elective*||Grand viva-voce & presentation of project dissertation|
|Business and Computer Application (BCA)||-|
|*The candidate has to select one paper from the following electives. Contemporary studies in Marketing (CSM) Contemporary studies in Finance (CSF) Contemporary studies in Human Resource (CSHR)||-|
What is the MPhil in Management Job Prospects and Career Options?
The various types of lucrative and prospective job opportunities available to aspirants of MPhil in Management course you could aspire to a successful career.
Listed below are some of the popular job avenues open for the graduates of MPhil Management course, along with the corresponding job duties and the corresponding salaries associated with each role.
|Researchers||Research officers and managers often make research schedules to monitor the activities of research teams, they supervise research projects from the early planning stages to project completion, they communicate with their team members and verify that all projects and tasks are on schedule. Most research officers and managers’ report project progress to supervisors and other committees.||INR 6.7 Lakhs|
|Human Resource Manager||A Human Resources Manager oversees an organization’s daily administrative functions, these include planning, coordinating and directing activities such as staffing, strategic planning with top executives and dealing with employee questions and concerns. A Human Resources Manager is often the liaison between upper management and all other employees, so they play an important role in building and maintaining company culture through the hiring process and employee relations.||INR 7.12 Lakhs|
|Finance Advisors||Financial advisors help their clients in planning for their short-term and long-term financial goals, including buying a home, paying for their children's education, and retirement. They might also provide investment, tax, and insurance advice to their clients. The financial advisors spend much of their time researching and analyzing investment opportunities and meeting with clients and potential clients to go over investment strategies.||INR 3.74 Lakhs|
|Management Consultants||A management consultant helps a company or government entity plan and execute projects with the desired outcome of becoming more profitable or competitive. A management consultant’s duties are to help organizations to solve issues, to create value, maximize growth and improve business performance.||INR 11.34 Lakhs|
|Academic Professors||The responsibilities of academic professor includes, to developing curricula and delivering course material, to conducting research, fieldwork, and investigations, and writing up reports, to publishing research, attending conferences, delivering presentations, and networking with others in the field, to traveling to other universities or academic settings to participate in learning opportunities and gain experience, to participating in committee, departmental, and faculty meetings, to providing training and mentoring to teaching assistants and junior lecturers.||INR 3.89 Lakh|
Future Study Options in MPhil Management
After pursuing MPhil Management course, candidates can find job opportunities in many fields both in India as well as abroad. The job roles include those of economists, management consultants, quality control expert, social Service workers, lecturer/Speaker etc.
- Due to extensive streams in management the career possibilities are vast in this field, involving a rich and most desirable future in the top most MNCs and banks, and at strong positions with some great responsibilities making the management sector one of the best streams to look forward to.
- The job offer after MPhil Management usually includes a fat pay cheque and subsequently, opportunities to rise up the company ladder, the reasons which had brought the student to pursue an MPhil course.
- Depending on the management college, location of work, industry wishing to work in and previous working experience, one can expect to draw anything between 2 lakhs to as high as 25 lakhs per annum.
- There are a range of industries that one can work in including banks, credit rating agencies, investment agencies and financial advisory services, consulting firms, marketing companies, IT organizations and even niche industries like hotels, hospitals, pharmaceuticals etc.
MPhil in Management FAQs
QUES. What are the average fees of a Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. The Average cost for pursuing MPhil in Management is INR 20,000 – 2 Lakhs while the exact fees vary from college to college.
QUES. What is the duration of a Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. the duration of Master of Philosophy in Management 1-year, divided into two semesters.
QUES. What is the basic admission process of Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. Most of the colleges grant admission to this course on the basis of written examination followed by an interview
QUES. What are the job profiles available after doing a Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. The job profiles available after doing Master of Philosophy in Management Economist, Management consultant, Researcher, Human resource manager, Academic professor, etc.
QUES. What is the average salary package one can get after completing a Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. The average starting salary after completing this course generally lies between INR 2 to INR 25 Lakhs depending on the skills of the candidates.
QUES. What are the subjects we have to study in Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. The subjects we have to study in Master of Philosophy in Management are research methodology, strategic management, management economics, strategic development, advanced in management etc.
QUES. What are the top entrance exams being there for a Master of Philosophy in Management?
ANS. JNUEE, VITMEE, LPUNEST, LUCET etc.
QUES. Can I do a Master of Philosophy in Management program from a distance as well?
ANS. Yes, you can do a Master of Philosophy in Management course from a distance as well.