What is MPhil Public Administration?
MPhil Public Administration is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course. This is a research-based course that involves academic research and acquiring knowledge about its applicability.
MPhil Public Administration Syllabus includes subjects like Advanced Research Methodology and Research in Public Administration, enterprise management, local governance of India etc.
The minimum eligibility criteria to be eligible to pursue this program is a postgraduate degree in Public Administration. Admission to this course will be done on the basis of Personal Interview after clearing entrance tests like DUET/ MAH CET and other depending on the colleges.
The average fees charged for pursuing this course ranges from INR 5000- 30,000 per annum in Indian colleges.
The average salary offered to a degree holder in MPhil Public Administration is around INR 3,00,000 to 5,00,000, but this can be higher on the basis of experience and other factors.
If students wish to do further research, they can become independent researchers and publish their research papers. They can also earn a DSc (Doctor of Science) degree in the related domain in future.
MPhil Public Administration Highlights
|Course Level||Master of Philosophy|
|Full-Form||MPhil Public Administration|
|Eligibility||The students must complete graduation from any recognized college/university securing a minimum of 55% of marks at the undergraduate level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit-based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5000- 30,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 – 5,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Social work, Civil Services, NGOs, Policy Planning, Teaching, Political scientist, etc.|
|Job Positions||Social Worker, Civil Servant, Policy Planner, Professor and NGO Worker etc.|
MPhil Public Administration Admission Process
Most colleges and institutes offering MPhil Public Administration courses admit students based on their performance in the Master’s degree examination. However, there are some colleges which select candidates through national-level entrance examinations to judge their abilities and skill sets.
The following are the two major pathways through which MPhil Public Administration admissions takes place.
The step-by-step procedure for merit-based admission is as follows:
- Step 1: Students have to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Fill the application form with correct details.
- Step 3: Students will be called for a personal interview based on their score in the qualifying examination.
- Step 4: On meeting all the eligibility criteria, a student will then be offered admission to the course.
Entrance Based Admission
Most of the colleges and universities offer admission to MPhil Public Administration on the basis of entrance exams like DUET, MAH CET etc.
The step-by-step procedure for entrance-based admission is as follows:
- Step 1: Students have to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Fill the application form with correct details.
- Step 3: After examination, a cutoff list will be released on the website. Seats will then be allotted to candidates based on their scores in the entrance exam.
- Step 4: Some colleges also conduct personal interviews and group discussion for admission to this course.
- Step 5: On meeting all the eligibility criteria, a student will then be offered admission to the course.
MPhil Public Administration Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria to pursue MPhil Public Administration course are mentioned below: -
- All the students must complete graduation in any discipline from a recognized board.
- Getting a minimum of 55% of marks in graduation is a must for all the students to appear in the entrance examinations.
- Students have to clear the entrance examination and personal interview round for pursuing admission in MPhil Public Administration course.
MPhil Public Administration Entrance Exams
Most of the institutions consider entrance-based admissions in place of merit-based admission. Some of the most common entrance exams in many Indian colleges are as follows:
MAH CET: MAH CET is a state level entrance exam for admission into management colleges located in Maharashtra.
- UGC NET: UGC NET stands for University Grants Commission (UGC) National Eligibility Test. This entrance exam is conducted by UGC under the Government of India towards the admission process of many courses including PhD in Public Administration. Qualification of this exam alone can exempt you from many entrance exams conducted all over the nation.
- DUET: The Delhi University conducts Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET) for admissions to UG, PG, M.Phil, and PhD programs.
Check DUET Practice Papers here.
The important dates of these exams are given below:
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|DUET 2021||To be announced||To be announced||Online|
|MAH CET 2021||March - April, 2021||May, 2021||Online|
How to Prepare for a MPhil Public Administration Entrance Exams?
If a candidate wishes to find his or her name in the merit lists issued by the college after the conduct of the entrance exams, then they must work really hard to achieve it. Certain basic tips have been mentioned below for the students to refer to for successful cracking of the exam:
- Stay alert and be updated about the latest exam pattern and syllabus for the exam which is usually available on the official website.
- Be clear about what syllabus you need to cover for the exam, do not study extra topics.
- Do practice every type of question so that you can be prepared for any type of question that might be asked in the exam.
- Make newspaper reading your habit so as to stay updated about the happenings around the world.
- Do sit for mock tests before the actual exam. This will help you to well converse with the exam type and exam pattern.
- Revise only the prepared topics thoroughly. Do not go for new topics a day before the actual exam as this might confuse you.
- Be well conversed about your subject so that you are not confused at the time of the written exam or personal interview.
How to get admission in a good MPhil Public Administration College?
To pursue MPhil in Public Administration course in a good college, follow the below points: -
- Clear the cut-offs marks for the entrance examinations.
- Try to score high in graduation.
- Be ready for the personal interview round as this round also carries weightage.
- Practice mock tests regularly to learn time management.
MPhil Public Administration Syllabus
The detailed syllabus of MPhil Public Administration course is provided below:
|Year I||Year II|
|Advanced Research Methodology and Research in Public Administration||Dissertation|
|Philosophical Foundations of Administrative Theory||Computer Applications in Public Administration|
|Local Governance in India||Research design preparation and presentation|
|Public Policy||Viva Voce Examination|
|Enterprise Management||Exercise /Practical work|
|Dynamics of Social Administration||-|
Important Books for MPhil Public Administration Course
The important books for the MPhil Public Administration course are mentioned below: -
|Books||Name of the Author|
|Public Administration||Archna Chaturvedi|
|Comparative Public Administration||Sewa Sing Dahiya Ravindra Singh|
|Public Administration||Radhabinod Aribam|
What the course M.Phil. Public Administration is all about?
M.Phil. Public Administration is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course in Public Administration course. The details of this M.Phil. in Public Administration course are as follows: -
- This is a research-based course that involves academic research and acquiring knowledge about its applicability.
- The subject-matter of this course is the same as discussed and studied by the students at UG and PG level.
- Students must pursue this course under the guidance of a professor. The guide will help the students to carry out the research program and prepared the thesis in a planned way.
- The aim of M.Phil. in Public Administration is to structure, design, and taking a holistic overview of this subject through a practical approach.
- A student pursuing this course is equipped with all necessary skills and knowledge in their own domain.
- In M.Phil. in Public Administrative course, students acquire a comprehensive understanding of public administration at a higher academic level.
Top Colleges Offering MPhil Public Administration Courses
The table below shows the best MPhil Public Administration program colleges and Institutions that offers the course in Full time mode :
|Name of the College/ University||Average Annual fees|
|Anna Adarsh College for Women, Chennai||INR 7,000-8,000|
|Annamalai University, Cuddalore||INR 10,500-13,000|
|Desh Bhagat University, Gobindgarh||INR 12,500-14,000|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut||INR12,000-13,500|
|Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla||INR 5,600- 9,000|
|Jiwaji University, Gwalior||INR 5,000-6,000|
|Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra||INR 5,500-6,000|
|Madras Christian College, Chennai||INR 5,500- 8,000|
MPhil Public Administration College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made between top two MPhil Public Administration Colleges in India:
|Parameters||Anna Adarsh College for Women, Chennai||Annamalai University, Cuddalore|
|Overview||It is a very renowned institute in Chennai and offers undergraduate, postgraduate, Research programs across various specializations and also 13 Certificate and Add on Courses.||The university offers a plethora of undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate courses in distance mode.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 7,000-8,000||INR 10,500-13,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000-4,50,000||INR 3,10,000-4,00,000|
|Placement Companies||Social work, Civil Services, NGOs, Policy Planning, Teaching, Political scientist etc.||Social work, Civil Services, NGOs, Policy Planning, Teaching, Political scientist etc.|
What are the Institutions that offer Distance Education for the M.Phil. Public Administration Course?
The Institutions that offer distance education for M.Phil. Public Administration Course are the following: -
|College Name||Course Description||Average Annual Fees in INR|
|IGNOU||In this course, students are involved in academic research and knowledge about the applicability of the subject.||INR 5,000-INR 7,000|
|Annamalai University, Cuddalore.||In this 2 year course, students learn about academic research and knowledge about the applicability of the subject.||INR 5,500-INR 7,000|
|Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.||In this distance education course, students learn about principles, often unwritten, based on social laws.||INR 6,500-INR 7,000|
MPhil Public Administration vs MA Public Administration
MPhil Public Administration and MA Public Administration are almost similar subjects. However, there is a difference between them.
Check top MA Public Administration Colleges here
The comparison of MPhil Public Administration course and MA Public Administration is mentioned below: -
|Parameters||MPhil Public Administration||MA Public Administration|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Objective||In this course, students get knowledge and can do academic research about the applicability of the subject.||This is an administration course where students must study academic research and knowledge.|
|Eligibility||The students must complete graduation from any recognized college/university securing a minimum of 55% of marks at the undergraduate level.||The students must complete graduation from any recognized college/university securing a minimum of 55% of marks at the undergraduate level.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5000- 30,000||INR 10,000-40,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 – 5,00,000||INR 4,00,000 – 5,50,000|
MPhil Public Administration Future Scopes
Students can prefer to do jobs after completion of MPhil Public Administration or can go for further research. The most popular choices of education post completing a MPhil Public Administration degree are as follows.
- They have teaching jobs in colleges/universities after this course and then clearing the UGC-NET exam required for becoming a permanent lecturer.
- There are a large number of MPhil Public Administration jobs. You can choose in accordance to your area of interest.
- Students can also opt for a DSc (Doctor of Science) degree in any related field.
- Once you finish your PhD you can also be qualified for a lecturer post in Public Administration and also to teach in colleges and universities with UGC scales.
Job Prospects and Career Options after MPhil Public Administration
In this course, students can learn and do academic research for understanding the domain as required at a higher level of academics about the applicability of the subject. The various job prospects and career options of MPhil Public Administration are as follows: -
- The available career options after this course are Social Worker Civil servant, Policy Planner, Professor and NGO worker etc.
- Students get a chance to work in various Social work, Civil Services, NGOs, Policy Planning, Teaching, Political scientist etc.
- Mainly jobs in government sectors in various regions of India are available for the students after pursuing this course.
The best job profiles for MPhil Public Administration course are as follows:
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Social Worker||Responsible for making and implementing government policies and trying to reach the last mile beneficiaries.||INR 2,00,000- 2,40,000|
|Civil Servant||Responsible for involving civil service work like implementation and formulation, and executing government policies.||INR 7,00,000- 8,00,000|
|NGO Worker||Responsible for indulging in the implementation of various public policies for enhancing the government’s scheme policy.||INR 1,80,000- 2,00,000|
|Professor||Responsible for teaching public administration subjects at the college and university levels.||INR 3,00,000-5,50,000|
|Policy Researcher||Responsible for performing works like political situation analysis, public policy analysis, and understanding of the welfare mechanism of government and public-private relations. They also must work in new agencies as a freelancer for new assignments.||INR 2,00,000-2,20,000|
MPhil Public Administration FAQs
Ques. What is the total duration of this course?
Ans. The total duration of this course is 2 years.
Ques. Should I appear for any entrance exam before pursuing this course?
Ans. Yes, in some colleges entrance examinations are conducted for pursuing admission in the MPhil Public Administration course.
Ques. Is it possible to do an MPhil Public Administration course after pursuing graduation in Public Administration?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue an MPhil Public Administration course after pursuing graduation in Public Administration course.
Ques. What type of job opportunities are available for an MPhil Public Administration degree holder?
Ans. Jobs as a Social Worker, Civil servant, Policy Planner, Professor and NGO worker, etc. are available for an M. Phil in Public Administration course holder student.
Ques. Do we have to prepare for a personal interview round for pursuing the MPhil Public Administration course?
Ans. Yes, you must prepare for a personal interview round for pursuing the MPhil Public Administration course.
Ques. What minimum marks are required for appearing in the entrance examination?
Ans. For appearing in the entrance examination a student must require to get a minimum of 55% of marks in graduation.
Ques.Should I choose to pursue the MPhil Public Administration course after graduation?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue this course after completing graduation.
Ques. What is the average salary of a fresher after pursuing an MPhil Public Administration course?
Ans. The average salary of a fresher after completing the MPhil Public Administration course ranges from INR 2, 00,000 to 5,00,000 per annum.
Ques. Is the MPhil Public Administration course a good course to study?
Ans. Yes, this is a very good course to study as there are many career opportunities associated with this course.