What is PharmD?
Doctor of pharmacy or Pharm.D is a six-year course for doctorate level students. During the course duration candidates have five year of academic study and 1 year of internship.
As a pharmacist, applicants will practise at both government and private hospitals. It gives a decent return on investment, as after completion of the programme, there are a lot of positions available.
The eligibility criteria for the course Pharm.D is that students have to clear 10+2 from a recognized college and qualify for a diploma in Pharmacy from Pharm.D college recognized by PCI (Pharmacy Council of India).
The admission process for the course Pharm.D is to clear entrance exams such as NIMSEE, GPAT, MET, BVCET, SRMJEE, taken by various colleges and universities.
Here are the top colleges in India offering PharmD:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College name||City||Admission process||Average annual fees||Average annual salary|
|7||Manipal college of pharmaceutical sciences||Manipal||Entrance exam||INR 4,30,000||INR 4,50,000|
|9||JSS college of pharmacy||Udhagamandalam||Entrance exam||INR 2,84,000||INR 3,20,000|
|22||Poona college of pharmacy||Pune||Entrance exam||INR 1,75,000||INR 1,20,000|
|45||LM college of pharmacy||Ahmedabad||Entrance exam||INR 1,75,000||INR 3,00,000|
|47||Goa college of pharmacy||Panji||Entrance exam||INR 2,90,000||INR 4,50,000|
The average fee for the course PharmD is INR 6,00,000 lakhs - INR 20,00,000. It varies on the geographical location, size of the camps, and courses offered by college or universities. The job profiles after the course PharmD are Pharmacists, drug experts, retail pharmacists, hospital pharmacy directors, hospital staff pharmacists, clinical pharmacists, etc.
The average annual salary package for freshers is INR 3,00,000 - INR 10,00,000. It depends on the size of the company or organization, location. The top recruiting companies are Home health care, community pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, geriatric pharmacy, managed care, governmental agencies, etc.
See Also: Top Colleges offering PharmD
What is the Admission Process for PharmD ?
To get admission in the course, students must have to qualify the entrance exams taken by respective college and university.
- The registration form will be released on the official websites of the respective colleges or universities.
- Students have to submit the registration fee on the online portal before the last date.
- Some colleges conduct counseling or GD/PI for the final selection.
See Also: Top Coaching Centers for GPAT 2020
What is Eligibility Criteria for PharmD?
To be apply for PharmD Course candidate but fit in the eligibility criteria:
- Qualify 10+2 with minimum of 60% marks from a recognized board.
- Relaxation of up to 5% marks is considered for reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC.
- Science stream with PCB (Physics, chemistry, Biology) or PCM (Physics, chemistry, Mathematics) as subjects are preferred.
- Some colleges or universities have different eligibility criteria as a common entrance test for admission.
What are the Top PharmD Entrance Exams?
To secure admission in the program candidate must clear national level or university level entrance exams. Some the entrance exams for PharmD are:
- NIMSEE: It is a 2-hour, national level exam conducted by NIMS university.
- GPAT: NTA conducts a national level, online exam for the duration of 3 hours.
- BV – CET: Bharti Vidyapeeth University conducts common entrance tests at university level.
- SRMJEE: It is a university level entrance test conducted by SRM Institute of science & technology.
Some of the important dates related to these entrance exams are discussed below.
|Entrance exam||Conducted by||Application form||Exam date||Exam mode|
|NIMSEE||NIMS University||May 2021||To be announced||Offline level|
|BV – CET||Bharti Vidyapeeth university||May 2021||June 2021||Offline level|
|GPAT||National test agency||November 2020 – December 2020||January 2021||Online test|
|SRMJEE||SRM Institute of science & technology||To be notified||To be notified||Computer based test|
How to Prepare for PharmD Entrance Exams?
Some preparation tips to clear entrance exams of respective college and universities:
- Be aware of the subject and entrance exam held in that course.
- Go through the previous year papers to get the knowledge about the exam pattern, sections.
- Be up to date with exam marks, section marks, per question marks, negative marking, etc.
- You should give a weekly test through online mode to save and utilize the time in study.
- One should have strong general awareness and English communication and writing skills.
- Learn from help books with the study material provided by the institute.
How to get Admission in Top PharmD Colleges?
Student can follow these guidelines to get admission in a good college or university:
- Try and score maximum marks in entrance exams to increase your chances of getting into your dream colleges.
- A good academic background is always a bonus.
- Boost your skills with extra co – curricular activities.
- Be aware of your interest area, strengths and weaknesses during your prep.
- Work on your weak areas to get best results and improve your soft skills.
Know more about: PharmD Cutoffs 2020
PharmD: What is it About?
The course was introduced by Pharmacy Council Of India (PCI). The duration of the course is 6 years in which (5+1) one year of internship is included.
- Doctor of Pharmacy is a combination of science and art of dispensing medicines.
- Students are acknowledged with practical in clinical pharmacy, medical pharmacy.
- After completing the course, students are gained with the skills in diagnosis, therapeutics usage of drugs, treatment and selection of diseases, etc.
- They perform tasks like monitoring patients, diagnosing the disease, etc.
PharmD Course Highlights
The course highlight includes the duration, eligibility, admission process, colleges, top recruiters, job profiles, fee and salary.
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% marks with science stream|
|Admission process||Entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 6,00,000 - INR 20,00,000|
|Average Salary (per month)||INR 3,00,000 – INR 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting companies||Home health care, community pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, geriatric pharmacy, managed care, governmental agencies, etc.|
|Job Position||Pharmacists, drug experts, retail pharmacists, hospital pharmacy director, hospital staff pharmacists, clinical pharmacists, etc.|
Why Study PharmD?
The PharmD course has its own set of advantages but it also gives an edge in the competitive world. The demand for PharmD graduates is high.
- Involvement in community: Pharmacists are an important part of the community because they contribute to the health and welfare of the patients in residents. Also they served minorities.
- Many career options: There are a variety of career options in this field. Pharmacists can work in organizations, nursing homes, hospitals, colleges, and the medical industry.
- Part of the Healthcare Team: They work with the other professionals to ensure the continuity of care. They are playing an important role in decreasing the chronic disease management. They are also a part of clinics, counseling patients.
- Growth: The growing rate of the Pharmacy industry is very fast these days. Many developments such as digital advancements like artificial intelligence.
- Flexibility: There is flexibility in work hours and it balances the work – personal life. There is day shift, night shift, 7 on shifts or 7 off shifts. You can choose either of the shifts which are comfortable.
- Autonomy: There is autonomy in work as you can choose your workplace and work hours. You can do a job or start your own business.
Course Comparison: PharmD vs BPharm
Here is the comparison with parameters like course, eligibility, duration, admission process, colleges, top recruiters, job profiles, fee and salary, etc. between PharmD and B.Pharmacy Course are mentioned below:
|Parameters||Doctor of Pharmacy||Bachelor of Pharma|
|Overview||Doctor of Pharmacy is a combination of science and art of dispensing medicines. Students are acknowledged with practical in clinical pharmacy, medical pharmacy.||This course aims at the candidates who want to open their own pharmacy store or join the research industry. Also, it teaches about medicines, drugs, formulations, etc.|
|Duration||6 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 60% marks in science stream||10+2 with minimum 50% marks in science stream|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Top colleges||Chandigarh university, NIMS university, Manipal college of pharmaceutical sciences, Etc.||Jamia Hamdard, panjab university, BITS Pilani, etc.|
|Job roles||Pharmacists, drug experts, retail pharmacists, hospital pharmacy director, hospital staff pharmacists, clinical pharmacists, etc.||Drug inspector, medical writer, pharmaceutical scientist, pharmacy business, etc.|
|Average fees||INR 6,00,000 – INR 20,00,000||INR 4,00,000 – INR 5,00,000|
|Average salary||INR 3,00,000 – INR 10,00,000||INR 2,50,000 – 6,00,000|
|Top recruiting organization||Home health care, community pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, geriatric pharmacy, managed care, governmental agencies, etc.||Hospitals, government drug research institutes, medical clinics, etc.|
PharmD Top Colleges
The top colleges of Pharm.D with admission process, average fee and average salary after the course are:
|College Name||City||Average annual fees||Average annual salary|
|Chandigarh university||Chandigarh||INR 2,00,000||INR 7,10,000|
|NIMS university||Jaipur||INR 1,50,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Manipal college of pharmaceutical sciences||Manipal||INR 4,30,000||INR 4,50,000|
|JSS college of pharmacy||Udhagamandalam||INR 2,84,000||INR 3,20,000|
|LM college of pharmacy||Ahmedabad||INR 1,75,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Goa college of pharmacy||Panji||INR 2,90,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Poona college of pharmacy||Pune||INR 1,75,000||INR 1,20,000|
|MM college of pharmacy||Ambala||INR 1,36,000||INR 1,40,000|
|SRM University of technology||Kanchipuram||INR 5,10,000||INR 8,32,000|
|Bharti Vidyapeeth Deemed university||Pune||INR 1,42,000||INR 7,00,000|
PharmD College Comparison
Here is a college comparison of the best colleges offering PharmD on different parameters:
|Parameters||Chandigarh university||NIMS university|
|Overview||Chandigarh University is situated in Chandigarh. It is a private university with A+ grade by NAAC.||NIMS university is situated in Jaipur. According to ASSOCHAM, It is the best private university in 2018.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% marks||10+2 with minimum 50% marks|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Average fees||INR 2,00,000||INR 1,50,000|
|Top recruiting organizations||Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Amazon, Dell, IBM, Sapient, Oracle, Flipkart, etc.||Dell, Cisco, CNBC, IBM, Adobe, Cairn, Wipro, VIVO, Intex, HDFC Bank, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 7,10,000 lakhs||INR 4,00,000|
Syllabus for Pharm.D is semester wise. The syllabus is given for five academic years and each year contains two semesters.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Pharmaceutics||Pharmaceutical organic chemistry|
|Human anatomy & physiology||Pharmaceutical inorganic chemistry|
|Medical biochemistry||Remedial mathematics / biology|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Pharmaceutical microbiology||Community pharmacy|
|Pharmacognosy & Phytopharmaceuticals||Pharmacotherapeutics 1|
|SEMESTER 5||SEMESTER 6|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis||Medical chemistry|
|Pharmacology 2||Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence|
|Pharmacotherapeutics 2||Pharmaceutical formulations|
|SEMESTER 7||SEMESTER 8|
|Hospital pharmacy||Clinical toxicology|
|Clinical pharmacy||Biostatistics & research methodology|
|Pharmacotherapeutics 3||Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics|
|SEMESTER 9||SEMESTER 10|
|Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomic||Clerkship project work (6 months)|
|Clinical research||Project work (6 months)|
|Clinical Pharmacokinetics & pharmacotherapeutic drug monitoring||Year 6|
|-||Internship or residency training which includes posting in special units|
PharmD Important Books
These top books will help while pursuing PharmD. These books will give a better understanding of the topics.
|Handbook of drug information||Lacy Armstrong|
|Hospital & clinical pharmacy||Paradkar, Siddique, Yadav|
|Pharmacy practice||Harikishan Singh,|
|Clinical pharmacology||Roger walker|
|Anatomy & physiology||Toro – Toro|
The career options after the PharmD are Pharmacists, drug experts, retail pharmacists, hospital pharmacy director, hospital staff pharmacists, clinical pharmacists, etc. The career options are described in detail below with their roles and average annual salary.
|Job profiles||Description||Average annual salary|
|Pharmacist||The role of Pharmacist is to ensure the medicines given to patients are correct and the quality of medicines given to patients. They have to counsel the patients about the medicines, timings to take medicines and how to take it.||INR 2,88,000|
|Hospital pharmacy director||The role of Hospital pharmacy director is to distribute drug, drug control, ensures medication safety, clinical services as patient care, etc.||INR 3,90,000|
|Retail pharmacist||The role of Retail pharmacist is to dispense and control the prescribed and non-prescribed medicines. They order and sell the medicines and other stocks.||INR 1,97,000|
|Drug expert||The role of Drug expert is prepared medication use policies, rules & regulations. They ensure the improvement of the health system. Distributing newsletters containing medication information.||INR 5,80,000|
|Clinical pharmacists||The role of Clinical pharmacists is to take care of patients and be aware of his/ her health. Evaluates the effectiveness of patients' medications.||INR 3,09,000|
PharmD Future Scope
After completing PharmD there are a plethora of opportunities in the academic field as well as job opportunities. You can explore your path according to your liking:
- For further studies, you can pursue Bachelor’s in pharmacy or 2nd year in B.Pharma if you have completed PharmD.
- You can secure a job at drug stores of private and government hospitals. You can work in health clinics, NGOs, etc. by checking the dispensing medicines and advising them the directions.
- You can become an entrepreneur by opening your own pharmacy store as retail, wholesale.
- The top recruiting areas of Pharm.D are health centers, drug control administration, and medical dispensing stores.
PharmD FAQs (h2)
Ques. Is Pharm.D course a good career?
Ques. How do I fill the Pharm.D form?
Ques. What are the top recruiting areas of Pharm.D?
Ques. What is MPharmacy?
Ques. What are the government jobs for Pharm.D. in India?
Ques. Which is better, PharmD or BPharm.?
Ques. Is there any fixed working hours for Pharm.D?
Ques. Is becoming PharmD worth the cost?