PhD Agriculture Economics is a full time research of 2 to 3 years where how to apply principles of economics to agriculture industry is being taught.
PhD Agriculture Economics minimum eligibility criteria require candidates to have a master's degree in a related domain with minimum marks required by the particular college or university.
Check: PhD Courses
The admission procedure for PhD Agriculture Economics can be either merit based or on the basis of the results of the entrance examination conducted by the Institute.
The average PhD Agriculture Economics course fee charged by top PhD Agricultural Economics Colleges ranges between INR 20,000-2,00,000.
After the completion of PhD Agriculture Economics students can get hired as Agriculture Economist, Researchers, Agriculture Consultant etc.
PhD Agriculture Economics Course Highlights
|Degree||PhD Agriculture Economics|
|Duration||Minimum 2 years (or 3 years in some cases)|
|Eligibility||Master's degree or its equivalent from any recognised Agriculture University|
|Admission Process||Merit Based or Entrance Exam based|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 20,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Government Sectors, Private Sectors, consulting firms etc.|
|Job Roles||Research Investigator, Agriculture Consultant, Farming Manager, Commodity Analyst, etc|
PhD Agriculture Economics: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates interested in PhD Agriculture Economics should follow the eligibility criteria as given below:
- The candidates should have completed their Masters' from same or equivalent stream from any recognized university
- Those who are appearing for the entrance examination as conducted by some Institutes, the minimum qualifying marks as per the requirements of the same must be obtained by the desired candidates.
What is the PhD Agriculture Economics Admission Process?
The admission procedure for PhD Agriculture Economics is different for different institutes. In some cases, the admission is conducted directly where the candidates are selected on merit basis. In some other Institutes, the candidates are required to appear for the entrance tests or interviews in order to fulfill the admission process.
Merit Based Admissions
- The willing candidates should read the instructions properly from the college or university website before filling the application form.
- After submitting the form, the candidates should wait for the merit lists to be published.
Entrance Based Admission
If the admission is based on entrance examination, then candidates need to register themselves and need to fill the form with all details. The candidates should obtain the minimum marks as required for the admission.
PhD Agriculture Economics Entrance Exams
Entrance tests for admission to PhD Agriculture Economics are mentioned below:
- UGC NET: This exam is a national level examination for getting admission in a PhD programme.
- OUAT Common Entrance Exam- The Orissa University Agriculture and Technology conducts this exam every year for admission to UG, PG , PhD programmes. Through this examination, the candidates can get admission in Agriculture, Horticulture, Veterinary science and animal husbandry, fields.
- ICAR: It’s an All-India Entrance Examination conducted for granting admission in PhD programme in agriculture sciences.
The application along with exam dates of above entrance exams are mentioned below.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date|
|UGC NET||March 2021||June 2021|
|OUAT Common Entrance Exam||April 2021||To be announced|
|ICAR||March 1- April 2021||June 2021|
PhD Agriculture Economics: Tips to Clear Entrance Exams
In order to pursue PhD Agriculture Economics, candidates must keep some points in mind.
- The candidates should be aware of the exam pattern and the type of questions.
- The candidates should go through the prescribed syllabus 3 to 4 months before the exam.
- They should start planning to make an effective strategy so as to score good marks in exam.
- Have a clear idea about the basic concepts thoroughly.
- Solve the previous papers or sample papers to get the idea about the exam.
- Attempt mock tests before the exam to check their knowledge and skills.
- Prepare brief and effective study notes in order to score well in the examination.
PhD Agriculture Economics: Top Colleges Admission Tips
To pursue PhD Agriculture Economics from a good college, make sure to keep a few tips in mind.
- The desired candidates should start researching online the leading institutes that offer this program.
- The candidates should score well in master's degree or equivalent in order to get admission to a reputed institution.
- The candidates must have a clear idea about details of the entrance tests for the research program.
- Lastly, they ought to make preparations for presenting themselves well for interviews and written tests since this is also a part of the admission process.
PhD Agriculture Economics: What it is About?
PhD Agriculture Economics is basically a doctorate degree in which the learners are exposed to quantitative analysis integrated with critical thinking of agricultural policies and business.
- The students get familiar with all the developments as well as innovations in agriculture field that can drive it towards greater business.
- The course provides intensive training in application of quantitative methods as well as economic theory to economic issues of rural areas as well as food sector.
- The program provides learners with better career opportunities in different areas like academia, agribusiness, consulting firms, financial institutions, government, or non-governmental organizations.
- The course would enable them to predict the market trends of agro-based products.
PhD Agriculture Economics: Course Advantages
- After the completion of PhD Agriculture Economics the candidates can analyse the real world issues in agriculture and food field.
- In future, the candidates would be able to get employed in public or private sectors.
- They would also have ample scope for self employment.
- They can work as Agriculture Economist, Agriculture Consultant, Researcher etc.
- They can also join as lecturers in top Colleges/Institutes.
PhD Agriculture Economics Course Comparison
Below given is the course comparison between PhD Agriculture Economics and MSc Agricultural Economics to help candidates choose the best one.
|Parameter||MSc Agricultural Economics||PhD Agriculture Economics|
|Full Name||Master of Science Agricultural Economics||Doctor of Philosophy Agriculture Economics|
|Overview||The course aims in equipping the candidate with necessary technical skills relevant in agricultural economics field.||This course teaches candidates how to apply economic principles to agriculture industry.|
|Duration||2 years||2years or 3 years|
|Average Fee||INR 1000-2 Lacs||INR 20,000-2,00,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 1-10 Lacs||INR 20,000|
Read more: Jobs after MSc Agricultural Economics
PhD Agriculture Economics: Top Colleges
Listed below are few PhD Agriculture Economics colleges in India that one can check.
|College Name||Course Fee|
|Indian Agricultural Research Institute||INR 65,050|
|University of Agricultural Sciences||INR 72,875|
|Junagadh Agricultural University||INR 1.29 Lacs|
|Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat||INR 49,150|
|Birsa Agricultural University||-|
PhD Agriculture Economics College Comparison
Tabulated below is a basic comparison between top 3 PhD Agriculture Economics Colleges in India.
|College Name||Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology||University of Agricultural Sciences||Junagadh Agricultural University|
|Overview||It is the oldest agricultural University that offers UG, PG, PhD programmes.||It is a state University and offers UG, PG and PhD programme in numerous specializations.||It is a state University approved by AICTE and offers UG, PG and PhD programmes.|
|Eligibility||Masters degree in relevant stream||Completed masters degree in relevant stream||Masters degree in relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam||Entrance Exam+ Personal Interview||Entrance Test|
|Course Fee||-||INR 72,875||INR 1.29 Lacs|
PhD Agriculture Economics: Syllabus
The year wise syllabus of PhD Agriculture Economics is tabulated below:
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Fundamentals of Economics and Business Management||Macroeconomics- I|
|Microeconomics- I||Agricultural Econometrics - I|
|Agricultural Production and Resource Economics - I||Agricultural Production & Resource Economics- II|
|Agricultural Marketing||International Trade|
|Agricultural Finance- II||Agricultural Development & Policy Analysis|
|Research Methods||Microeconomics- II|
|Macroeconomics - II||Strategic Management for Agribusiness|
|Agricultural Production & Research Economics- IV||Management of R&D and Innovation|
|Agricultural Price Analysis||-|
|Quantitative Analysis for Marketing & Business Decisions||-|
|Institutional & Legal Environment for Agribusiness||-|
|Agricultural Project Analysis||-|
|Natural Resources Management & Environmental Economics||-|
|Fundamentals of Business Management||-|
|Agricultural Finance - I||-|
|Agricultural Production & Resource Economics- III||-|
PhD Agriculture Economics: Most Recommended Books
Listed below are some PhD Agriculture Economics books that will help students in understanding the concepts better.
|Name of the Books||Authors|
|Introduction to Agricultural Economics||S.S. Nain & V. Mehala|
|Managerial Economics||Sudhir K. Jain|
|Agricultural Economics: An Indian Perspective||R.K Lekhi & Joginder Singh|
|Agricultural Marketing in India||S.S Acharya & N.L Agarwal|
|Fundamentals of Agricultural Economics||Sadhu & Singh|
PhD Agriculture Economics : Job Prospects
With PhD Agriculture Economics, the candidates will have plenty of career opportunities in Public Sectors, Private Sectors, Field Of Veterinary Management And Medicine, Academic Institutes Etc.
|Job Profile||Description of Role||Average Annual Salary|
|Agriculture Consultant||Gives advice on agriculture lands||INR 5 lacs|
|Research Investigator||Conduct basic research works in laboratories or in the field and apply the results to such tasks as increasing crops and animal yields in order to improve the environment.||INR 6.2 lacs|
|Farming Manager||Monitoring staff, crops, purchasing supplies; preparing budgets etc.||INR 9.44 lacs|
|Commodity Analyst||Make forecasts regarding commodity market.||INR 7.5 lacs|
PhD Agriculture Economics Future Prospects
PhD Agriculture Economists play a very significant role in India, both in Government as well as private sectors. After the completion of PhD Agriculture Economics candidates who wish to increase the chances of getting better job options can pursue the below given courses:
MPhil in Agricultural Economics : It is a full time doctorate program of 2 or 3 years that enables the learners to focus on micro and macroeconomic elements and use them for problem-solving purposes.
Competitive Exams: Candidates can also prepare for competitive exams to get a job in government sectors.
PhD Agriculture Economics FAQs
Ques. What is the basic aim of a PhD Agriculture Economics programme?
Ans. The basic aim of PhD Agriculture Economics is to deal in micro and macroeconomic tools and use them for problem-solving purposes.
Ques. What is the admission procedure for pursuing PhD Agriculture Economics?
Ans. The admission procedure for pursuing PhD Agriculture Economics is different for different institutes; it is either based on the merit lists or entrance exams or interviews.
Ques. Are the candidates offered placement assistance while pursuing PhD Agriculture Economics?
Ans. Yes, most of the institutes provide placement assistance to the candidates who are pursuing the program and place them in top notch companies.
Ques. Can someone pursue PhD Agriculture Economics in Distance mode of learning?
Ans. Yes, a PhD in Agriculture Economics program can be pursued in distance mode of learning too. However, candidates need to check the college if that college offers the programme in distance mode or not.
Ques. Can I pursue a PhD Agriculture Economics after MSc?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue this course after MSc since it requires candidates to have a master's degree from a recognized Institute/College.