PhD Ayurveda is a program of 3 - 5 years duration which deals with the study of traditional medicine and its usages, effects etc. The program mainly lays its emphasis on the pharmaceutical botany and traditional medical science.
The basic eligibility criteria for PhD Ayurveda is post graduation in a relevant discipline with not less than 55% aggregate marks. Admissions to PhD Ayurveda are granted on the basis of merit as well as entrance scores, depending upon the institute. The annual average course fee for PhD Ayurveda ranges from INR 15,000 to INR 3,30,000.
Read More: Top PhD Ayurveda Colleges in India
Candidates after PhD Ayurveda can become Ayurvedic Doctor, Drug Scientist, Research Associate, Professor etc. The most common employment areas include Wellness Industry, Pharmaceutical Drug Manufacturing, Traditional Medicine etc. The average salary after PhD Ayurveda ranges from INR 3 LPA - INR 6 LPA.
Know More: Top Ayurved Colleges in India
PhD Ayurveda: Course Highlights
|Full Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Ayurveda|
|Duration||3 - 5 Years|
|Course Type||Full Time, Part Time|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation or MPhil in concerned discipline with 55% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 to INR 3,30,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 6 LPA|
|Top Recruiting areas||Clinical Practice, Traditional Medicine, Research, Drug Manufacturing, Wellness Industry etc.|
|Job Profile||Research Associate, Drug Scientist, Ayurvedic Doctor, Unit Head, Professor, Pharmacy Manager, Medical Head etc|
PhD Ayurveda: Admission Process
Admissions to PhD Ayurveda is based on entrance exams scores in most of the universities or colleges. To take the entrance exam, candidates need to satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria of the given college.
- Academic performance and knowledge at the research level is first and foremost a priority of every university.
- Candidates are admitted directly on the basis of their performance in last qualifying examinations in institutes offering merit based admissions.
- Candidates need to appear for the entrance exam for admissions to institutes offering entrance based admissions.
- Personal Interview at the time of admission is mandatory in every college.
- Candidates who qualified national level entrances such as UGC-NET are also provided exemption from the written tests by the institutes.
Read More: PhD Admissions 2021
PhD Ayurveda: Eligibility Criteria
The detailed eligibility criteria for admissions to PhD Ayurveda is as follows:
- Candidates must have a valid Master’s degree in the concerned discipline from a recognized institute.
- Candidates with an MPhil degree are also eligible to apply.
- Candidates must also have obtained a minimum aggregate of 55% in their master’s degree.
- A relaxation of 5% in marks is also given to the reserved category i.e SC, ST, PWD candidates by some institutes.
- Candidates must have to clear any of their back papers of post graduation research level before going in their doctorate degree
PhD Ayurveda: What is it About?
PhD Ayurveda involves the study in the domain of traditional and ancient medicine for treatment and therapeutic purposes. Since, ayurvedic medicines have less and almost no side effects, hence study in this domain will help to revive the essence of Ayurveda.
- PhD Ayurveda is the highest degree that one can achieve in this domain.
- The course provides a depth of knowledge in Ayurveda and its uses.
- It is a 3 - 5 years duration doctorate level course with an average fees of INR 15,000 - INR 3.5 LPA, depending upon the type of institute.
- Preparing a thesis of what a student observes between the making of Ayurvedic medicine till how it works and response in the human body are some of the basic works that a student must have to do.
PhD Ayurveda: Course Advantages
- PhD Ayurveda opens a wide range of opportunities for candidates in the field of medicine, teaching, pharmaceutical industries, research level jobs and various other professional jobs etc.
- The starting salary of PhD Ayurveda ranges from INR 3 LPA and increases gradually with the experience and working years of the candidates.
- Candidates can also become University Professors, College Professors, Start-Up Mentors, Research Scientists, Authors, Writers etc.
- PhD Ayurveda degree holders are also invited by foreign universities to conduct seminars and research.
PhD Ayurveda: Top Colleges
|Name of the College/ University||Average Fees|
|Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||INR 8,368|
|Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Viswa Mahavidyalaya, Kanchipuram||INR 12,000|
|KLE University, Belgaum||INR 78,000|
|Tantia University, Ganganagar||INR 1,25,000|
|Himalayan University, Itanagar||INR 85,000|
|Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune||INR 1,12,000|
|Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar||INR 8,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore||INR 24,000|
PhD Ayurveda: College Comparison
|Parameters||Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune||Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore|
|Overview||Savitribai Phule Pune University is a state university established in 1949. The university is UGC approved and NAAC accredited. It offers UG, PG and PhD courses in many specializations||Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, commonly known as RGUHS is a state university established in 1996. The university is MCI, UGC approved and offers UG, PG, PhD, Diploma courses in various disciplines|
|Location||Pune, Maharashtra||Bangalore, Karnataka|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in relevant discipline with 50% aggregate marks||Master’s degree in relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance based followed by Personal Interview||Entrance based followed by Personal Interview|
|Average Fees||INR 43,000||INR 24,000|
PhD Ayurveda: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Research Methodology and Biostatistics||Review of Literature and Presentation of a Seminar on a Research Theme related Topic|
|Research Ethics, Scientific Writing and Communication||Current Methods, Tools and Techniques in Swasthavritta & Yoga Research|
|Essentials of Computer Applications, Literature and Data Search||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Preparation and Presentation of the Research Plan Proposal||Review of related research from Ancient period, Medieval period|
|Essentials of Preventive Health Care in Ayurveda||Aim of Research plan proposal introduction of methodology|
|Role of Diet and Dietetics in Preventive Health Care||-|
|Semester - V||Semester - VI|
|Recent Trends in Research related to Preventive Health Care in Ayurveda||Ancient method of Standardisation and it's collaboration with modern methods.|
|Recent Trends in Research related to Yoga||-|
PhD Ayurveda: Job Prospects
After completing PhD Ayurveda, the gates of several career options are open for candidates. The most reputable job a candidate can go for is to become an Ayurvedic doctor as due to the effectiveness of Ayurvedic medicine it is still in demand. Below mentioned are some of the most reputed jobs for PhD Ayurveda:
|Job Title||Description||Average Salary|
|Ayurvedic Doctor||This profession requires a great sense of knowledge in Traditional Medicine as it involves the treatment of patients by natural Ayurvedic processes and medicines.||INR 3 LPA - INR 5 LPA|
|Professor||This post involves teaching of UG and PG level and training them their best in this domain.||INR 3 LPA - INR 3.5 LPA|
|Unit Head||This basically involves a supervisory role to manage the manufacturing of pharmaceutical drugs.||INR 2.5 LPA - INR 3.5 LPA|
|Drug Scientist||The job involves fabrication of pharmaceutical drugs at research level.||INR 2.7 LPA - INR 4 LPA|
|Research Associate||This post offers to assist the senior fellow at research and analysis of pharmaceutical drugs||INR 2 LPA - INR 2.5 LPA|
PhD Ayurveda: Future Scope
- PhD Ayurveda degree holders can go for various reputed jobs in government as well as private sectors in the field of teaching, medicine etc.
- PhD Ayurveda candidates can become General Physician, RMO, Medical Officer for Insurance companies, Senior Research Fellow, Medical Head, Research Associate etc with handsome pay packages.
- PhD Ayurveda candidates can also go for research and seminars in this particular domain in foreign universities.
- Candidates passionate about their studies can go for further higher studies like DSc for which a PhD degree is a must.
Read More: PhD Courses in India
PhD Ayurveda: FAQs
Ques: Is there any increase in the salary in the private sector of the PhD, Ayurveda professor?
Ques. Can a student complete it's PhD Ayurveda in less than 3 years ?
Ques. Can a candidate of 28 years of age be eligible to take admission in PhD, Ayurveda?
Ques. Can one have the license to open its own pharmaceutical clinical store after pursuing PhD Ayurveda?
Ques. Is it possible to do a PhD in Ayurveda after completing a BE in mechanical?
Ques. Does AIIMS have Ayurveda courses?