Doctorate of Philosophy in Biomedical Sciences is an academic research course for a minimum duration of three years. It is a branch of Medical and Biology. It allows you to conduct a research project to enhance your understanding of biochemical and physiological functions, anatomical, histological, epidemiological, and pharmacological structures.
It helps to learn how to preserve and support health in both humans and animals with insights on diet, disease, and immunology basics. Deepen into fields such as cell and molecular biology, parasitology, and toxicology, and emerge from laboratory work and study with hands-on experience.
The duration of the course can vary from three years to five years. Progression beyond the first year requires performance at a sufficient level which determines the duration of the course. The course is well divided into coursework and research work during which a thesis project is carried out under supervision.
A candidate with a Master’s degree in Biomedical Science / Biomedical Engineering or relevant to the field securing a minimum aggregate of 60% marks is eligible provided they qualify the national level entrance test such as UGC NET / UGC CSIR / GATE / IMCR / SLET or university level test.
Admission will be merit-based on the performance of candidates in the entrance exam and personal interview. The average fee for PhD in Biomedical Sciences ranges from INR 10,000 to INR 2,00,000 across the PhD in Biomedical Colleges in India.
According to NIRF Ranking 2020, the top colleges in India offering PhD in Biomedical Sciences course are:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of Institute||City||Admission Process||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|1||IIT Madras, Chennai||Chennai||GATE||INR 19,670||INR 8,89,000|
|6||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||Hyderabad||UoHEE||INR 11210||INR 4,50,000|
|11||Delhi University, New Delhi||New Delhi||Entrance Test||INR 15,000||INR 6,00,000|
|32||King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||Lucknow||Entrance Test||INR 51,600||INR 8,40,000|
|60||Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai||Entrance Test||INR 1,13,650||INR 3,00,000|
The course provides the students with the quality education that serves the needs of the industry or the purpose of teaching and research. After completing a PhD in Biomedical Sciences, you can secure work in Pharmaceutical Companies, Manufacturing Units, Clinics, Hospitals, Medical Institutes, Government Agents, Medical Equipment Manufacturing Companies, etc.
The average placement offer stands in the range of INR 2 Lakh to INR 10 Lakh increasing with the candidate’s experience and skill sets. The course aims at enhancing the capacity of Research Scientist, Biomedical Officer, Packaging Officer, Research Assistant, Patent Analyst, Biomechanics Engineer, Clinical Engineer, etc.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences: Admission Process
The admission process of PhD Biomedical Sciences can vary from institution to institute. Students who wish to study this course in government or under-governed colleges that attend university-led counselling and choose the college needed to study.
- Candidates who have qualified National Level Entrance Tests such as UGC NET / UGC CSIR / GATE / IMCR / SLET are exempted from the university level entrance exam but have to appear for the personal interviews to secure a seat in the program.
- Application forms for admissions are invited generally during January and June for the PhD program on web portals/newspapers/websites of the college/university.
- Reservations apply to SC / ST / EWS / OBC NCL / PwD candidates as per Govt. of India rules.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences Entrance Based Admission
PhD admissions are done mainly through the Entrance Test followed by a personal interview conducted by the respective institute/university. Admissions for PhD in Biomedical Sciences done through entrance test require the candidate to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Candidates need to register to the official website by providing their email id, mobile number, and password.
- Step 2: Filling up the web form with personal and academic details and course details.
- Step 3: Upload the necessary scanned documents.
- Step 4: Payment of the application fees using a Net banking, debit/credit card.
- Step 5: Submission of the application fee and form, submit, and download the form for future references.
Admit cards will be issued to the eligible students based on the information provided by candidates. The candidates on the given date will have to appear for the entrance test. Followed by announcement of results, supported the marks obtained by the scholars and institutes seats and academic records of the candidate’s seats are allocated.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences: Eligibility Criteria
The candidates wanting to pursue a PhD in Biomedical Sciences should fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria mentioned below :
- Candidates should hold a Master’s in Biomedical Sciences / Biomedical Engineering or a relevant science discipline degree from a recognized institute.
- Minimum aggregate of 60% marks or equivalent grade B in the UGC 7-point scale or equivalent in the Master’s Degree.
- Candidates in their final year of Master’s degree are also eligible.
- In the case of reserved category SC / ST / OBC / PH candidate’s relaxation of 5% marks or equivalent grade is given as per UGC guidelines.
- There is no requirement bar of age to apply for PhD Biomedical Sciences.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences: Entrance Exam
Candidates need to qualify the entrance exam conducted by UGC, State, or university to secure a seat in the PhD program. Here is a list of some entrance exams applicable for PhD in Biomedical Sciences:
- UGC NET : The UGC NET is held twice a year in June and December through online mode consisting of two papers available in Hindi and English. Candidates can select among 84 subjects and 91 centres. The score is valid for 3 years in case of JRF, Lifetime for Assistant Professor, and there is no restriction on the number of attempts.
- UGC CSIR NET: National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts a national level entrance exam to award Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) to selected candidates. CSIR UGC NET test is a CBT only, Indian Citizen can through online applications twice a year.
- SLET: State Level Eligibility Examination is administered in English for lectureship only in all states in India and also in some universities. Accordingly, the University Grants Commission carried out the Assist eligibility test. Professor on subjects related to humanities and social sciences and with the response to that, some states have chosen to administer their own test i.e. State level Eligibility Test (SLET) for Assistant Professor position.
- GATE: The exam primarily tests the detailed comprehension of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science. The validity of the score is 3 years. GATE is held once a year in February. Candidates can apply for only one of the 25 papers listed, one common subject in all papers.
Institutes offering PhD programs in India conduct their entrance exams for admission to the course, to assess the eligibility of candidates for the pursuance of the course. Most institutes admit students through their results in the National or State level entrance test for PhD in Biomedical Sciences, followed by a personal interview round.
Below a few National and university levels, entrance exams are listed with their details of application dates, conducting body, exam date, and so on.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Date||Exam Date||Mode of Examination|
|UGC NET||UGC||Mar 16 - Jun 30, 2020||To be Announced||Online|
|UGC CSIR NET||NTA||Mar 16 - Jun 30, 2020||To be Announced||Online|
|ICMR JRF||ICMR||May 16, 2020||Jul 12, 2020||Online|
|GATE||IITs||Aug 2020||Feb 2021||Online|
|TANCET||Anna University||Jan 7 - Feb 4, 2020||Feb 29 - Mar 1, 2020||Online|
|CUCET||Rajasthan Central University||Mar 16 - Jun 6, 2020||To be Announced||Offline|
|UoH EE||University of Hyderabad||Apr 3 - Jun 30, 2020||Aug 2020||Online|
How to Prepare for The PhD in Biomedical Sciences Entrance Exams?
Candidates should know the basics of the topics covered in Biomedical Sciences. While being a through with subjects taught in your postgraduate degree. Consulting a student who is pursuing a PhD in Biomedical Sciences can give a clear picture and a lot of guidance for the test.
- Previous year’s paper lays out a study plan which will allow you to cover the syllabus as well as revise it efficiently.
- The PhD in Biomedical Sciences entrance test question paper consists of objective and subjective questions. The duration of the examination is two hours.
- Practicing sample question papers and model tests certainly offers students an advantage because they can learn the exam's style and layout well beforehand.
How To Get Admission In The Top PhD In Biomedical Sciences Institution?
Securing admission in a reputable institute enhances the chances of securing an enriching experience throughout the duration of course as well as it offers a quality education. PhD in Biomedical Sciences candidates must hold an exceptional academic record to secure a seat in a reputed college.
- Candidates must complete a higher number of credits based on their background and preparation level.
- Candidates must look out for advertisements, cut offs, admission announcements for PhD Admissions to be aware of the vacancy in the research area of your choice.
- Candidates have to secure high ranking marks in National Entrance Tests to secure a seat in a good college.
- Candidates should put their time and effort into the entrance test as well as be prepared for a personal interview round.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences: What is it about?
Biomedical Sciences is the field of study that focuses on the relevant areas of healthcare biology and chemistry. A PhD in Biomedical Sciences course helps combine technology with the medical sciences in such a way that the synergistic interaction between them can help create a better framework for medical diagnosis, testing, care and support systems.
- PhD Programme is for a minimum of three years to five years.
- It offers a diverse set of interdisciplinary learning and research opportunities.
- Biomedical science focuses on the functioning of cells, organs, and systems in the human body; an exciting and dynamic area of great relevance to understanding and treating human diseases.
- It allows you to conduct a research project to enhance your understanding of biochemical and physiological functions, anatomical, histological, epidemiological, and pharmacological structures.
- It helps to learn how to preserve and support health in both humans and animals with insights on diet, disease, and immunology basics.
- Deepen into fields such as cell and molecular biology, parasitology, and toxicology, and emerge from laboratory work and study with hands-on experience.
- This course provides students with intellectually stimulating education in the biology and neuroscience of modern molecular, cellular, and systems.
- Biomedical scientists are developing new therapies and treatments for human diseases and disabilities.
- It set out to study an original subject independently, with the help of at least one academic with applicable knowledge and experience at your university. You must submit a thesis, at the end of your degree, detailing your research activities and results.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences: Course Highlight
|Duration||3 years - 5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Master’s Degree|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test + PI|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 - INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 LPA- INR 10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Max Hospital, Fortis Healthcare, Apollo Hospital Enterprises, NMIMS, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical Companies, Manufacturing Units, Clinics, Hospitals, Medical Institutes, Government Agents, Medical Equipment Manufacturing Companies, etc.|
|Job Positions||Biomedical Officer, Packaging Officer, Research Assistant, Patent Analyst, Biomechanics Engineer, Clinical Engineer, etc.|
Why Opt For PhD in Biomedical Sciences?
The area of biomedical science is vast, and there are major applications, from basic to applied research. Students in this course acquire analytical and quantitative skills that are used to analyse the information that is learned. Students also learn how to process medical data including techniques for both imaging and enhancement.
- It offers young students the opportunity to acquire academic training relevant to understanding and treating human diseases.
- The course provides an intellectually stimulating education for students in human physiology, pathology, cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, and immune biology.
- The course is structured in such a way that students first gain a comprehensive understanding of biomedical science that helps them to form their subsequent studies towards the topics that concern them most.
- It helps to gain experience during your degree in laboratory research, and it will provide you with the skills you need to plan, perform, and evaluate experiments.
- It will also enable you to comply with regulations on health and safety and to conduct research and interpret scientific literature.
- The program offers the means to achieve fruitful science careers for graduates.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences vs PhD in Biomedical Engineering: Which is Better?
PhD in Biomedical Sciences and PhD in Biomedical Engineering are almost similar courses except for a few differences. Biomedical science majors are hands-on to patients or research projects, while biomedical engineers are hands-on in the creation of new medical applications technologies. Here is a comparison is given keeping in mind all the important parameters of differences of the above mentioned courses:
|Parameters||PhD in Biomedical Sciences||PhD in Biomedical Engineering|
|Overview||It majors acquire skills needed for patient assessment and diagnosis.||It focuses on hands-on in the development of modern medical applications|
|Average Course Fees||INR 10,000 - INR 2,00,000||INR 50,000 - INR 4,00,000|
|Duration||3 years - 5 years||3 years - 5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Post Graduation in Biomedical Sciences||Post Graduation in Biomedical Engineering|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test + PI||Entrance Test + PI|
|Top Colleges||IIT Madras, Delhi University, King Geoge’s Medical University, University of Hyderabad, Apeejay Stya University||Central Drug Research Institute, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Gandhinagar, Lovely Professional University, Jaipur National University|
|Top Recruiting Area||Pharmaceutical Companies, Manufacturing Units, Clinics, Hospitals, Medical Institutes, Government Agents, Medical Equipment Manufacturing Companies, etc.||Drug Manufacturing Companies, Public Health Entities, Blood Service, Industrial Laboratories, Cancer research institutes, Research Departments, Educational Institutes, Environmental Pollution Control, etc.|
|Job Positions||Biomedical Officer, Packaging Officer, Research Assistant, Patent Analyst, Biomechanics Engineer, Clinical Engineer, etc.||Analytical chemist, Biomedical scientist, Healthcare scientist, clinical Biomedical Engineering, Clinical research associate, Forensic scientist, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2 LPA- INR 10 LPA||INR 4 LPA- INR 20 LPA|
PhD in Biomedical Sciences: Research Areas
Biomedical Sciences is a branch of Medical and Biology. Biomedical science focuses on the functioning of cells, organs, and systems in the human body; an exciting and dynamic area of great relevance to understanding and treating human diseases. It allows you to conduct a research project to enhance your understanding of biochemical and physiological functions, anatomical, histological, epidemiological, and pharmacological structures. The research area in Biomedical Sciences are:
|Research Area||Area Description|
|Infection and immunity sciences||Infection and immunity is an area of intrinsic interdisciplinary. Infectious agents are fantastic tools for cell and molecular biology, immunology, human biology, and developmental discovery.|
|Blood sciences||Blood Sciences includes Pre-Analytical Processing, Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology and Coagulation, Immunology, Blood Transfusion, Care Test Point, and Phlebotomy.|
|Cellular and systems (neuroscience)||Neuroscience is concerned with the relationship between molecular and cellular approaches to the understanding of brain structure and function, and the study of high-level mental functions such as language, memory, and self-awareness.|
|Genetics and molecular medicine||Molecular medicine is a large area in which physical, chemical , biological, bioinformatics and medical techniques are used to clarify molecular structures and functions, to recognize molecular and genetic defects of fundamental diseases, and to establish molecular therapies to correct these.|
Which are the Top PhD in Biomedical Science Colleges?
Here are the top colleges offering a PhD in Biomedical Sciences for your reference. The list of the top colleges show the admission process, location, and average fee charged for this course:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of Institute||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|1||IIT Madras, Chennai||INR 19,670||INR 8,89,000|
|6||University of Hyderabad||INR 11,210||INR 4,50,000|
|11||Delhi University, New Delhi||INR 15,000||INR 6,00,000|
|32||King George’s Medical University||INR 51,600||INR 8,40,000|
|60||Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai||INR 1,13,650||INR 3,00,000|
|-||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||INR 70,000||INR 5,00,000|
|-||NIMS University, Jaipur||INR 60,000||INR 2,40,000|
|-||Apeejay Stya University, Gurgaon||INR 1,20,000||INR 3,50,000|
|-||MIT School of Bioengineering Sciences and Research Centre, Pune||INR 1,87,000||INR 3,00,000|
|-||Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi||INR 33,000||INR 3,00,000|
|-||Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research, New Delhi||INR 10,860||INR 6,00,000|
|-||School of Bioscience, Gurgaon||INR 1,20,000||INR 3,50,000|
PhD in Biomedical Sciences College Comparison
Here given is the college comparison of the top PhD in Biomedical Science offering colleges in terms of several parameters like average fee, college overview, admission process, top recruiter, and many others.
|Parameters||IIT Madras||NIMS University||Madurai Kamaraj University|
|Overview||IIT Madras is an autonomous institute established in 1959 and recognized by UGC and AICTE.||NIMS University was established in the year 2008.||MKU was established in 1965, under the Government of Tamil Nadu.|
|Eligibility Criteria||Post Graduation||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Admission Process||GATE||Entrance Test + PI||Entrance Test + PI|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 19,670||INR 60,000||INR 1,13,650|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8,89,000||INR 2,40,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Microsoft, Visa Inc, Rolls Royce India Pvt Ltd, Goldman Sachs, Amazon, ICICI Prudential, MRF, Boeing International Corp India Pvt Ltd, etc.||A2 Infra, Academic guru, AirNet, Concierge, HCL, Lintech, HMD, Remson, etc.||Wipro, IBM, ICICI Bank, Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL), ICICI Prudential, and more.|
Check out all you need to know for availing PhD admission in Madurai Kamaraj University in 2020
What is the PhD in Biomedical Sciences Syllabus?
The course has a variable time duration of 3 years to 5 years and the syllabus is divided into various papers of areas related to the discipline of Biomedical Sciences. The PhD coursework component will normally be completed in your first year. You will then prepare a synopsis of your project, and be assigned a suitable supervisor to direct your work. The PhD course work shall involve the following papers:
|Subjects of Study||Books to Follow||Author|
|Biomedical Imaging Systems||Essential Physics Of Medical Imaging||Jerald T Bushberg|
|Biomechanics||Joint Structure and Function: A Comprehensive Analysis||Pamela K. Levangie|
|Signal Processing||Digital Signal Processing||Proakis|
|Image Processing||Digital Image Processing||Gonzalez|
|Design of Algorithms||Introduction to Algorithms||Thomas H. Cormen|
|Data Structures||Data Structures||Seymour Lipschutz|
|Biomedical Instrumentation||Handbook of Biomedical Instrumentation||R S Khandpur|
Which are the Various PhD in Biomedical Sciences Job Profiles?
Candidates who have completed their PhD in the Biomedical Sciences program successfully have a multitude of opportunities to explore various aspects of life. Professionals in this area can obtain scientific knowledge in biology and medicines, which can provide a better healthcare solution. It assists in designing diagnostic and treatment products and tools. Here are some job positions available after completing a PhD in Biomedical Sciences:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Biomedical Officer||Biomedical officers are responsible for focusing on micro-organisms causing illness and the potential therapies for their damage. We will also determine the effectiveness of the therapies. We also endorse the quality control program of laboratories and adhere to all applicable safety and health regulations.||INR 7 LPA|
|Packaging Officer||Supervises and coordinates the activities of workers engaged in packaging products and storage or shipping materials: studies manufacturing order to ascertain product type and quantity, containers to be used, and other packaging requirements.||INR 4.6 LPA|
|Research Assistant||Pharmaceutical researchers are responsible for designing and evaluating new medicines before they are submitted for approval to the food and drug administration. Many pharmaceutical researchers also work for top academic companies that are focused on fields such as applied research.||INR 5.6 LPA|
|Patent Analyst||It is their duty to do a lot of research work to decide whether identical products are already patented or whether patents are awaiting approval for similar items. They must ensure that a patent application is not met with legal consequences.||INR 5 LPA|
|Biomechanics Engineer||Supervises and directs the tasks of staff involved in packaging and storage or shipping materials: production studies to determine the form and quantity of the product, the containers to be used and other packaging specifications.||INR 7 LPA|
|Clinical Engineer||Clinical engineers are responsible for providing solutions, evaluating, diagnosing, managing diseases that arise in the human body. They may also be doing disease research and finding the drugs needed for those diseases. They could be employed in various hospitals in the government and private. They may be working in top laboratories to find treatments for body disorders in humans for study.||INR 10 LPA|
What is the Future Scope in PhD Biomedical Sciences?
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences is the highest degree a person can obtain in the field.
- Typically, biomedical career paths concentrate on research, analysis, or development.
- After being admitted to this program, students can carry out a range of research work in the fields of biological and medical sciences, and various areas of engineering sciences.
- Upon completion of this course, there are various positions for students, such as being a Biomedical Officer, Packaging Officer, Research Assistant, Patent Analyst, Biomechanics Engineer, Clinical Engineer, etc.
- Regardless of where they start their careers, graduates have the necessary knowledge, skills, and expertise to get relatively high compensation.
PhD in Biomedical Science FAQs
Ques. Is financial aid provided to pursue a PhD?
Ans. Biomedical Sciences scholars who have cleared National level exams with JRF or equivalent get financial assistance from the concerned funding agency. Non NET UGC fellowships are provided for scholars pursuing PhD in Biomedical Sciences who do not have any financial assistance.
Ques. When can you apply for a PhD in Biomedical Sciences?
Ans. The University / Institute admissions for PhD in Biomedical Sciences is held twice a year in the months of January and July. However, applications are invited throughout the year and seats are available based on the vacancy in the research area. Candidates need to check the website of the college timely.
Ques. Who usually opts for a PhD in Biomedical Sciences?
Ans. Candidates who are interested in Biomedical Sciences. Candidates who can complete their assignments accurately, carry out research, and can withstand stress are ideal for this course.
Ques. Is there any extension for the application procedure?
Ans. Yes, most of the institutes have extended the application procedure for PhD in Biomedical Sciences. You can check the official website to be updated with the new dates for the application process. The admission committee monitors the announcements from the authorities of UGC, and so on.