PhD Business Administration is a research-based course of 3 - 5 years. The course aims to create people with a high skilled analytical understanding of business principles. It deals with new methodologies in Key Performance Indicators, Management, Quantitative and Qualitative techniques.
Check out top PhD Business Administration Colleges in India.
The main objectives of the course are to bring principles of scientific methodology in business inquiry, development of analytical skills, and research in business. There is also a focus on understanding and improving measurement, scaling, and sampling methods which are the core tools of Business.
The PhD scholars work in various areas of business management like Applied Econometrics, Business Analytics, Financial Management, HR & IT management, Emerging issues in Organization Behavior, etc. The PhD also gives a sphere of working on Research Report writing.
To become eligible to apply for this course, the candidates should have completed a master’s degree in business-related courses. The admissions are usually based on the entrance exams.
Some of the top colleges that offer PhD Business Administration are mentioned below:
|NIRF Rank 2020||Name of College||Admission Process||Tuition Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|1||Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad||CAT/ GMAT/ GRE||INR 2,300,000||INR 25.83 Lakh per year|
|2||Indian Institute of Management Bangalore||CAT/ GMAT/ GRE||INR 2,300,000||INR 26.28 lakh per year|
|3||Indian Institute of Management Calcutta||CAT/ GMAT/ GRE||INR 2,700,000||INR 26.98 lakh per year|
|4||Indian Institute of Management Lucknow||CAT/ GMAT/ GRE||INR 3,00,000||INR 20.05 lakh per year|
|5||Indian Institute of Management Udaipur||CAT/ GMAT/ GRE||No Fees Charged||INR 13.2 lakh per year|
The fees for PhD Business Administration vary a lot in every college and university. It varies from INR 9,000 to INR 85,000 per year. In some of the institutes, the PhD courses are sponsored by the government or the institute itself, through scholarships. And the PhD scholars also receive stipends.
The candidates who complete PhD Business Administration get jobs in the areas of administration, education, finance, sales & marketing, MNCs, etc. Some of the job profiles available for them are Associate Managers, Management Professors, Operation managers, Administration managers, etc. The average salary can range from INR 7 lakh to 17 lakh per annum.
Through their career growth, they can aim to become researchers and HR management at Director levels. Certain MNC companies have corporate-level director levels. These are also open for candidates. CEO, COO levels are also available for such candidates after a few years of job experience.
PhD Business Administration Admission Process
The admission process for PhD Business Administration is conducted through various national entrance examinations like GATE, UGC-NET, CSIR-NET, ICAR, etc. Some of the institutes conduct their own entrance exam, followed by a personal interview round.
A typical admission process for PhD Business Administration is mentioned below:
- Application: The candidates should apply to the institute by filling up the application form, submitting the documents required, and paying the application fees.
- Evaluation: The candidates will be evaluated based on the marks or rank scored at the national level or state level entrance exams.
- Interview: A merit list of shortlisted candidates will be released and they will be called for an interview.
- Enrollment: The candidates clearing the interview will be sent an offer letter to join the institutes. The candidates will have to select to accept the offer letter within the deadline and the initial amount.
PhD Business Administration Eligibility
- Candidates should have completed 10+2+3+2 or 10+2+4+2 of continuous study in recognized universities/boards.
- Candidates should have completed MBA, MPhil, or any other master’s degree course in the relevant field.
- They should have scored a minimum of 55% in the master’s degree programs.
- Sound knowledge of English knowledge is necessary for taking admission in PhD Business Administration. This is because the medium for instruction is in the English language. Also, the dissertation and research work is to be done in the English language.
- Candidates having a minimum teaching and work experience of 5 years will be given higher preference.
PhD Business Administration Entrance Exams
Some of the entrance exams that are considered for admission into PhD Business Administration are UGC-NET and ICAR NET. Some universities also conduct entrance exams of their own, if the student has not appeared for the national level exam.
Some of the university level entrance examinations are mentioned below:
- UGC NET: It is a national level entrance exam for Junior research fellowship and lectureship. It is conducted twice a year. Candidates taking up this exam are usually exempted for the university level entrance exams of the institutes.
- IBSAT 2020: The ICFAI Business Studies Aptitude test is conducted by the ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education. It provides admissions into various management courses. The exam is scheduled to take place in December 2020, the candidates can check the eligibility criteria & admission process and the exam pattern for better preparation.
- Jain Entrance Test 2020: This entrance exam is the gateway for admissions to PhD programs conducted by the Jain University.
- CUCET 2020: This is an entrance exam for ten Central Universities which provide admission to their courses in UG, PG, and PhD level.
- LPUNEST 2020: The Lovely Professional University National Entrance and Scholarship Test are conducted twice a year for their Engineering, Law, and Management admissions.
The following table gives details about some of the entrance examinations conducted for PhD Business Administration in India:
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|UGC - NET||June 30, 2020 (Extended)||After July 2020||Online|
|IBSAT 2020||July 1, 2020 - December 16, 2020||December 26 - 27, 2020||Online|
|JET 2021||November 18, 2020||January 19, 2021||Online and Offline|
|CUCET 2020||March 16, 2020 - June 6, 2020||To be notified||Online and Offline|
|LPUNEST 2020||May 23, 2020 - July 22, 2020||July 24 - 26, 2020||Online|
How to prepare for PhD Business Administration Entrance exams?
Each of the entrance examinations mentioned above for PhD courses has a few aspects in common, while there are some unique aspects. While most of the exams, owing to the current COVID 19 concerns, are being conducted online on MCQ pattern.
- The exams usually include questions related to General Aptitude, General Awareness, and Analytical skills. Some exams also evaluate verbal and mathematical skills.
- As a student may need to appear for more than one entrance examination, it is thus beneficial to prepare for all types of subjects that are asked in these exams. A preparation for aptitude, awareness, analytical skills, Mathematics, verbal skills, essay writing skills, and numerical ability should be done.
- A thorough study of these subjects should be completed by practicing previous year question papers. Get a sample and previous year question papers to prepare for the examinations.
How to get admission in a good PhD Business Administration college?
- First of all the candidates should be eligible to apply for the entrance exam i.e, they should fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria of the exams and also the institutes.
- They should prepare a time table to work on every section properly. The concepts should be clear and a lot of practice will be required.
- The candidates should go through the previous year’s question papers to understand the type of question asked.
- They should try to find the topics that are repeated every year. Such topics should not be missed out while preparing.
- The candidates should also prepare for the interview round along with preparing for the entrance exam.
- They should be updated with the dates of all the entrance exams.
PhD Business Administration: What is it About?
- PhD Business Administration is the pinnacle of Business and Management education. It focuses on methodologies and ways to conduct research, create designs to work on assets and liabilities.
- The focus is on problem-solving, game planning, business strategy, and researching layouts in various disciplines of business.
- The course also focuses on Data Analysis and related tools that have been prevalent in recent years.
- PhD scholars get to understand the various data analysis tools like Statistical Techniques, Measures of Central Tendency, Variance & Covariance Analysis, Factor, Discriminant, Cluster Analysis, and Multiple Regression & Correlation.
- Through this course, the candidates need to work on the research subject and create their thesis.
- Some of the popular research topics in PhD Business Administration are: Resources Management & Sustainable Development, Managing Innovation & Technology, Resurge of businesses & companies after COVID crisis, Social Entrepreneurship, and The Sulci & Gyri of Accounting and Finance
PhD Business Administration: Course Highlights
PhD Business Administration is a research-based course and usually opted by candidates who want to conduct research and release journals. The basic information about the course has been mentioned below.
|Full-Form||Doctorate in Philosophy - Business Administration|
|Duration||3 to 5 years|
|Eligibility||Masters level qualification in relevant fields with a minimum of 55% aggregate in final year examination.|
|Admission Process||National level exams or University-specific Paper mode Offline entrance examination.|
|Course Fee||INR 9,000 to 90,000|
|Average Salary||INR 1,00,000 to 1,30,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||The banking sector, universities, MNCs, Administrative sectors, etc.|
|Job Positions||Assistant Manager, Administration Manager, Events Executive, Business Administrative Executive, etc.|
Why study PhD Business Administration?
- India is a vast country with countless numbers of businesses emerging. Even foreign companies are also finding a place in India. Therefore the candidates with a PhD in Business Administration have high career scopes.
- The recent reforms in GST, Export laws, renovated taxation, Make In India movement, Atmanirbhar Bharat Mission has increased the demand of highly skilled professionals to take up leadership roles in industries.
- PhD scholars learn to run an organization in a more effective way. They focus on improving the quality of the business, reducing the cost, providing job opportunities, increasing the assets and reducing liabilities, etc. Overall they learn how to take the company towards progress.
PhD Business Administration Course Comparison
PhD Business Administration vs PhD Finance
The table below gives a comparison with PhD Business Administration and PhD Finance. These two courses are highly opted by the management students. Few of the differences are mentioned below.
Check out: Top PhD Finance Colleges in India.
|Parameters||PhD Business Administration||PhD Finance|
|Full form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Business Administration||Doctorate of Philosophy in Finance|
|Domain||Focussed on a deeper understanding of Applied Econometrics, Business Analytics, Financial Management, HR and IT Management, and Emerging Issues in Organizational Behavior.||The course focuses on the understanding of Financial Management, Accounting, Economics, Corporate Finance Theory, Statistics, and Investments.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exams||Entrance Exams|
|Eligibility||Masters level education with a minimum of 55% in courses related to Management, Business Administration, Statistics||Masters level education with a minimum of 55% marks in courses related to Accountancy, Economics, and Mathematics|
|Course Fee||INR 27 lakh||INR 30 lakh|
|Average starting salary||INR 12 lakh - INR 16 lakh per annum||INR 4 lakh - INR 8 lakh per annum|
|Top recruiting companies||The banking sector, universities, MNCs, Administrative sectors, etc.||Apple, Citigroup, Deloitte, Amazon, Facebook, Accenture, Bain & Company, etc|
|Career Job options||Assistant Manager, Events Executive, Administration Manager, Business Administrative Executive, Associate Manager.||Stockbroker, Statistician, CFA, CA, Corporate Banking.|
The following table gives information about the top colleges for PhD Business Administration in India. These colleges are top-level colleges based on placement, location, and accreditation. These colleges also have a good infrastructure and high ranking on the NIRF 2020.
|NIRF Rank 2020||Name of college||Location||First-Year Tuition Fees||Average Salary per annum|
|1||Indian Institute of Management||Ahmedabad||INR 23,00,000 (complete fee taken together)||INR 25,83,000|
|2||Indian Institute of Management||Bangalore||INR 23,00,000 (complete fee is taken together)||INR 26,28,000|
|3||Indian Institute of Management||Kolkata||INR 27,00,000 (complete fee is taken together)||INR 26,98,000|
|4||Indian Institute of Management||Lucknow||INR 3,00,000||INR 20,05,000|
|6||Indian Institute of Management||Kozhikode||INR 2,22,000||INR 26,69,000|
|7||Indian Institute of Management||Indore||INR 50,000||INR 22,92,000|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur||INR 2,12,500||INR 15,42,000|
|10||Management Development Institute||Gurgaon||INR 2,33,000||INR 22,05,000|
|12||Department of Management Studies, IIT R||Roorkee||INR 14,680||INR 9,18,000|
|17||Indian Institute of Management||Udaipur||No tuition fees charged, since the PhD students receive full fellowship that cover the tuition fees.||INR 13,20,000|
PhD Business Administration College Comparison
The table below is a comparison between the top two colleges for PhD Business Administration. The two colleges are IIM Ahmedabad and IIM Bangalore. The comparison is made on the basis of ranking, admission process, course fees, salary, etc.
|Name of the College||Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad IIMA||Indian Institute of Management Bangalore - IIMB|
|Overview||IIMA was the second IIM established after IIM Calcutta. It is an institute of national importance. It was established in 1961.||IIMB is a public business school that started in 1973. It was the third IIM to be established in India.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||1||2|
|Average Fees||INR 23 lakh||INR 23 lakh|
|Admission process||CAT, GMAT, etc||CAT, GMAT, GRE, and NET|
|Average Salary Package||INR 25.83 lakh per annum||INR 20 lakh per Annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||The Boston Consulting Group, Accenture, PwC, JP Morgan Bank, HSBC Bank, Hindustan Unilever Limited, Microsoft, FinIQ, ABG, Aditya Birla Group, American Express, Bajaj Finserv, etc.||Accenture, Deloitte USI, Deloitte India, AT Kearney, Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Strategy, EY-Parthenon, McKinsey & Co, etc.|
PhD Business Administration Syllabus
The following table gives the minimum prescribed syllabus for a business administration course at PhD level. This course can have add-on courses, guest lectures, projects, and seminars. These add on activities are done to enhance the practical understanding and approach of the student. But these add on subjects would differ from university to university.
|Semester 1 (Compulsory Subjects)||Semester 2 (Compulsory Subjects)|
|Strategic Management||Research Methodology|
|Quantitative Techniques||Case Work|
|Financial Accounting for Managers||Research Paper|
|Human Resource Management||Literature Review|
|Computer Applications||Ethics of Research Proposal Management|
|Social and Economic Environment||-|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Submission of Research Proposal||Submission of Research Thesis|
|Human Resource Management||Financial Management|
|Managerial Leadership||Mergers & Acquisitions|
|International Human Resource Management||International Finance|
|Training and Development||Portfolio Management & Security Analysis|
|Marketing Management||Operations Management|
|Product Management||Supply Chain Management|
|Service Marketing||Business Engineering|
|Internet Marketing||Technology Management|
Books for PhD Business Administration
Some of the books the students can refer while pursuing PhD Business Administration are mentioned below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Business Research Methods||Cooper, D.R., Schindler, P.S. and Sun, J.|
|Rethinking the Process of Operational Research & Systems Analysis.||Tomlinson, R. and Kiss, I.|
|Business Data Analysis using Excel.||Whigham, D|
|The Economic History of India under early British Rule||Dutt, R.C., 2013|
|Game Theory for Applied Economists.||Gibbons, R.S.|
PhD Business Administration Job Prospects and Career Options
PhD Business Administration opens up high responsibility and high-end jobs for successful candidates.
- The candidates who have completed PhD Business administration can work as Assistant Manager, Administration Manager, Events Executive, Business Administrative Executive/Business Development Manager, Associate Manager, etc.
- With work experience in the field, the experienced candidates can also aim for higher positions like Directorial positions, CEO, COO, CFO, and Vice President of a company.
Some of the jobs along with its description and salary is mentioned in the table below:
|Name of Job Profile||Job Description||Starting Average Salary|
|Associate Manager||Associate Managers are the connecting link between the Project Managers and the rest of the team. They mainly create project plans, build up budgets, coordinate team resources, direct the team, and distribute responsibilities.||INR 12,21,861 per year|
|Administration Officer||They carry the operations of the organization, predict business growth, supervise, and support employee needs.||INR 4,98,973 per year|
|Business Development Manager||BDMs are responsible for managing expectations and developing business solutions for organizations. They are also responsible for creating avenues for more revenue generation, increasing brand loyalty, and customer satisfaction.||INR 6,01,685 per year|
|Chief Executive Officer - CEO||As a CEO, the employee is in charge of the complete organization. They drive strategic planning, fiscal operations, etc. They also establish new relationships with business leaders.||INR 30,44,733 per year|
|Vice President / CFO||Responsible for strategic forward-thinking, overlooking the management of company finances. Create tie-ups with current and future investors, Partake in audits, etc.||INR 36,51,736 per year|
PhD Business Administration Future Scope
- PhD Business Administration is a pinnacle in Business Administration education. The developments within India, ease of doing business, taxation reforms in the country have given the infrastructure and financial domain a better career scope.
- As international companies find a place in India, and as domestic companies become more sophisticated, there is a definite need for students with PhD qualification to take up high responsibility positions.
- While PhD Business Administration is the pinnacle of business education, the candidate can still pursue other branches of education to gain a good experience. Courses related to International Markets, Securities, and debt can be looked into to gain an upper hand in interviews and job roles.
- Working abroad is also another golden opportunity for PhD graduate students.
- With some initial struggle, high-end jobs with good work experience are a very high possibility, and thus big scope in the future for career growth.
PhD Business Administration FAQs
Ques. How is the job market for PhD Business Administration candidates?
Ans. PhD Business Administration, also known as DBA qualifies the candidate as a specialist and consultant in the domain. Academic and practical areas in Applied research open up for candidates. These have a high demand in the industry.
Ques. How long is the PhD Business Administration?
Ans. PhD Business Administration varies from 3 years to 5 years in different universities of India.
Ques. Are there reservation quotas for SC/ST and OBC for PhD Business Administration?
Ans. Each university follows the government rules in setting up seats for candidates from reserved categories. Refer to admission notifications to know about seats for reservation category candidates.
Ques. Is it beneficial to pursue an MBA before Ph.D. in Business Administration?
Ans. MBA is one of the requirements to take admission for PhD Business Administration. While MBA focuses on the current knowledge of Business, PhD focuses on researching new concepts and improving business statistics and strategies. While there are other Masters programs that can lead to a PhD MBA can also be done as an additional degree after PhD Business Administration. Yet, the PhD covers all aspects of an MBA.
Ques. What is the focus on Financial Market Operations in the course?
Ans. Financial Market Operations brings in the concept of Economic Development, Structure of Capital Market, Securities, and Exchange Board of India, and related fundamentals. FMO is one of the core subjects of Business Administration.
Ques. What are Game Theory Applications in the course?
Ans. Game Theory Applications are related to the Pricing and Output strategy of a business. These are based on what is known as the Nash equilibrium. It helps to properly situate a company in the market, so as to help gain assets and reduce liabilities.
Ques. Are there comparative courses to PhD Business Administration?
Ques. How is life after completing PhD Business Administration?
Ans. A candidate who completes PhD Business Administration can start a career with early footprints on high-end career roles. Starting as Associate Manager, the candidate can gain early jumps towards Directorial positions. The candidate can eventually become a CEO or CFO of a company.
Ques. What is the registration process for PhD Business Administration at various universities?
Ans. Eligible students can give various national level entrance tests like GATE, UGC-NET. They can also give SLETs which are specific to the state.
Ques. Are there reservation quotas for SC/ST/OBC for PhD Business Administration?
Ans. Reservation of seats in various colleges is available as per government norms.
Ques. Which Delhi colleges are best to study full-time PhD Business Administration?
Ans. The best full-time PhD Business Administration in Delhi can be pursued in many colleges. For a complete list of such colleges, check here.
Ques. Is GRE score accepted for PhD Business Administration colleges?
Ans. GRE is an international qualifying exam and is accepted by some of the colleges in India for PhD Business Administration. For the list of colleges, check here.
Ques. How many colleges provide PhD Business Administration in the state of Maharashtra?
Ans. As of 2020, there are 7 colleges that provide PhD Business Administration in the state of Maharashtra. For the complete check here.