What is PhD Chemical Engineering?
Doctorate or PhD in Chemical Engineering is a research based doctoral program, the duration of which ranges from 3 to 5 years. This course involves advanced study of concepts including Compounds and Complexes, Reaction Engineering, and Process Optimization.
Check the full list of top PhD Chemical Engineering Colleges in India.
In order to be eligible for PhD Chemical Engineering course, candidates must hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemical Technology or any other equivalent discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% from a recognized university.
Admission to PhD Chemical Engineering program will be done based on the candidate's performance in the entrance examinations such as UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, GATE etc. The candidates will also have to appear for Personal Interview after qualifying in the entrance exam.
There are numerous universities/ colleges in India that offer PhD Chemical Engineering programs. Some of the top institutes offering PhD Chemical Engineering course are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Engineering Ranking 2020||Name of the College/ University||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|2||IIT Delhi||GATE 2020||INR 42,900||INR 16,00,000|
|4||IIT Bombay||GATE 2020||INR 73,000||INR 20,34,000|
|27||BITS Pilani||Merit-Based||INR 1,10,125||INR 9,20,000|
|47||NIT Durgapur||GATE 2020||INR 64,100||INR 9,09,000|
|54||Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat||Merit-Based||INR 40,000||INR 7,40,000|
The average annual program fee in India ranges between INR 50,000 and 4,00,000, depending on the institute offering the course.
Jobs for PhD Chemical Engineering candidates include Analytical Chemist, Energy Manager, Manufacturing Engineer, Mining Engineer, Quality Manager etc.
The average annual starting salary for PhD Chemical Engineering degree holders in India ranges between INR 7,00,000 and 20,00,000 depending on the candidate's expertise in the field.
After completing this course, candidates can also do independent research work and publish their research papers. They will be able to earn a DSc degree if they continue their research for a minimum of 5 years after their PhD.
What is the Admission Process for PhD Chemical Engineering?
Most of the institutes and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to PhD in Chemical Engineering program. Top PhD colleges such as IIT, NIT etc. offer admission through entrances like UGC, CSIR (JRF), NET, GATE etc.
The steps of the entrance-based admission are provided below:
- Step 1: Online Registration: Students are required to register for the entrance test by providing their email address, mobile number and password after which a login id will be generated.
- Step 2: Filling up the application form: After creating the login id, candidates have to fill up the online application form by providing their personal and academic details and enter the details of the course which you are opting for.
- Step 3: Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates etc.
- Step 4: Application Fee: On uploading the requisite documents, students have to pay the requisite amount of application fee using Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
- Step 5: Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the form for future references.
- Step 6: Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Step 7: Entrance Examination: After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates have to sit for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
- Step 8: Declaration of Result: In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Step 9: Group Discussion and Personal Interview: The selected candidates have to appear for further admission rounds such as group discussion and personal interview.
Check the IIT Bombay Admission Process in detail.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to PhD Chemical Engineering?
Students who aspire to seek admission to PhD Chemical Engineering course are required to follow the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- Must have completed Post graduation in Chemical Engineering, Chemical Technology or any other equivalent discipline from a recognized university.
- Candidates must have secured an aggregate of at least 55% in post graduation.
- Some colleges also allow students to join this course directly after graduation provided they have sufficient amount of research experience in this field.
Also, go through the eligibility criteria for UGC NET exam.
Is There Any Entrance Exam for Admission to PhD Chemical Engineering Course?
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer PhD in Chemical Engineering programs follow an entrance test for admission to this course.
Some of the top PhD Chemical Engineering entrance examinations are as follows:-
- GATE 2021 – This is a national level entrance test which is likely to be conducted in February 2021. This exam offers admission to students to various branches of Ph.D in colleges across India.
- UGC NET 2020 – UGC NET is an entrance examination which is conducted twice a year for admission to PG courses or some branches of PhD The exam is usually conducted in the month of June but because of COVID-19, the examination gets postponed to the month of August, 2020.
|Name of the Examination||Conducting Body||Application Deadline||Date of Examination||Mode of Examination|
|GATE 2021||IIT Council||From September 14, 2020||February 5-7 and 12-14, 2021||Online|
|UGC NET 2020||NTA||July 20, 2020||Postponed||Online|
How to Prepare for These Entrance Exams?
Candidates are advised to follow the below mentioned points to score well in the entrance examination:
- Syllabus: Students must have an exact idea of the syllabus of the entrance test and the type of questions that might be asked in the question paper. Most of the PhD entrance tests are of 2-3 hour duration and the questions given are of subjective nature.
- Section-wise Preparation: Questions are mainly asked from the subject you have studied at the time of your post graduation. Therefore, it is very important for students to have a clear understanding of all the subjects you wish to pursue PhD in.
- Previous-year Question Papers: The students should study the previous year’s question paper thoroughly. This will help them to understand the type of questions asked in the examination.
- Time Management: This is the most important aspect of one’s preparation, so students are advised to make a proper time table and follow the same strictly to boost their preparation.
Read more on GATE Question Pattern and Marking Scheme.
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Chemical Engineering College?
- Students can get a confirmed seat in a good college if they have a sound academic record in post graduation and also on the basis of your performance in various national or state level entrance tests. The greater the score, the better will be the chances of getting admission in the top colleges across India.
- It is also equally important to be both mentally and physically prepared for further admission rounds i.e. group discussion and interview.
- Keep track of all the important events pertaining to admission so that you will never miss any deadline. Also, keep a track of eligibility criteria, course cut-off, application procedure, application fee and all the updates in newspapers, official websites etc.
- Students are advised to practice as many papers and questions as they can in order to enhance your time management skills.
Go through the full list of GATE 2020 Subject wise Cutoff marks.
PhD Chemical Engineering: What is it About?
Some of the important points to know what PhD Chemical Engineering is all about are given below:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering basically focuses on the science behind the working of daily life items including food, clothes, cosmetic products, detergents, paper, paint and many more.
- This course involves in-depth study of the concepts such as Fluid Mechanics, Heath and Mass Transfer, Reaction Engineering, Process Control, Process Optimization, Inter-Disciplinary Research etc.
- This course provides students a platform to apply the principles of Chemistry to the field of Engineering.
- The syllabus of PhD Chemical Engineering offers students a vast knowledge of Biotechnology & Bio-Systems Engineering, Energy and Environment, Materials Engineering, Process Systems Engineering, Transport, Colloids and Interface Science and many more.
- This course also lets you study the chemical manufacturing processes and their impact on the environment and the individuals.
PhD Chemical Engineering Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the PhD Chemical Engineering program are provided in the table given below:
|Duration of the Course||3 to 5 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based admission followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 to INR 4,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 7,00,000 to INR 20,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Manufacturing Industries, Nanotechnology, Alternative Energies and Biotechnology, Healthcare, Food Manufacturing etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Analytical Chemist, Energy Manager, Manufacturing Engineer, Mining Engineer, Production Manager, Quality Manager etc.|
Why Should You Study PhD Chemical Engineering?
There are many benefits of pursuing a PhD Chemical Engineering course. The main benefits of pursuing this program are as follows:
- Jobs for PhD Chemical Engineering candidates are available in both Government Sector and Private Sector Companies with good salary packages.
- If you are interested in research in the field of Chemistry then you should definitely look forward to pursuing this course.
- PhD Chemical Engineering students can get jobs in numerous sectors such as Colleges, Universities, Development Laboratories, Food Industry etc.
- PhD Chemical Engineering candidates get hired as Analytical Chemist, Energy Manager, Manufacturing Engineer, Materials Engineer, Mining Engineer etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered to PhD Chemical Engineering graduates with the average salary of INR 8,00,000 to INR 20,00,000 Per Annum.
PhD Chemical Engineering vs PhD Chemistry
Both PhD Chemical Engineering and PhD Chemistry are Chemistry-related courses and are pretty popular among students owing to huge career scope. The key points of difference between the above two courses are provided in the table below:
|Parameters||PhD Chemical Engineering||PhD Chemistry|
|Qualification||Doctorate of Philosophy in Chemical Engineering||Doctorate of Philosophy in Chemistry|
|Course Overview||This course involves researching new chemicals and studying the properties of unknown compounds. This course also includes the study of various reaction mechanisms and chemical processes in detail.||In this course, students work and research topics in theoretical, physical and organic chemistry and perform extensive research and experiments.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to INR 4,00,000||INR 80,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Duration||3-5 years||3-5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering||Hold a postgraduate degree in Chemistry.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based followed by Interview||Entrance-Based followed by Interview|
|Top Colleges||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore etc.||IIT Mumbai, NIT Agartala, IISc etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 7,00,000 to INR 20,00,000||INR 5,00,000 to INR 16,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Food Industry, Govt. or Private Research Laboratories etc.||Food Processing Units, Chemical Laboratories, Colleges/ Universities etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Chemical Analyst, Production Manager, Testing Engineer etc.||Quality Analyst, Chemical Scientist, Quality Assurance Manager etc.|
Source : College Websites
Which are the Top Colleges for Studying PhD Chemical Engineering?
Some of the top colleges offering PhD Chemical Engineering program are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Engineering Ranking||Name of the College/ University||Admission Procedure||Average Semester Fees||Average Placement Package|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi||GATE 2020||INR 42,900||INR 16,00,000|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai||GATE 2020||INR 73,000||INR 20,34,000|
|27||Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani||Merit-Based||INR 1,10,125||INR 9,20,000|
|47||NIT, Durgapur||GATE 2020||INR 64,100||INR 9,09,000|
|54||Sardar Vallabh Bhai National Institute of Technology, Surat||Merit-Based||INR 40,000||INR 7,40,000|
|65||Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||UGC NET/JRF/SET/ GATE||INR 38,600||INR 6,23,000|
|75||NIT, Agartala||GATE 2020||INR 28,200||INR 5,00,000|
|201-250||Annamalai University, Chidambaram||Merit-Based||INR 38,410||INR 9,85,000|
|---||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||Entrance-Based||INR 35,200||INR 15,00,000|
|---||Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering, Mumbai||Merit-Based||INR 91,500||INR 6,65,000|
Source: College Websites
College Comparison for PhD Chemical Engineering
The basic difference between the top universities/ institutes offering PhD Chemical Engineering program for the convenience of students is provided in the table given below:
|Name of the College||IIT Delhi||NIT Agartala||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|Overview||Indian Institute of Technology is one of the top institutes offering a large number of programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research level.||National Institute of Technology is among the topmost engineering institutes across India. Apart from engineering, this institute also offers numerous courses in the field of Science.||The Indian Institute of Science is a public research university, particularly for higher education and research in the field of Science, Engineering, Design and Management.|
|NIRF Ranking||Engineering - 02||Engineering - 75||Overall - 02|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.||Hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.||Hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.|
|Admission Process||GATE 2021||GATE 2021||Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 42,900||INR 28,200||INR 35,200|
|Average Salary Package||INR 16,00,000||INR 5,00,000||INR 15,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Food Industry, Biotechnology, Nanotechnology etc.||Food Industry, Biotechnology, Nanotechnology etc.||Food Industry, Biotechnology, Nanotechnology etc.|
Source: College Websites
What are the Subjects Covered in PhD Chemical Engineering Syllabus?
PhD Chemical Engineering is a research-based course which involves researching in any one of the major areas of the subject. Some of the important research areas are described in the table below.
|Energy and Environment||This research area involves researching sustainable energy sources and technologies which will not harm the environment. It also involves the research of ways to reduce environmental harm of currently used energy resources.|
|Materials Engineering||It involves researching different types of materials which will benefit mankind. Its main focus remains on inventing new types of materials which will have significant uses.|
|Reaction Engineering||It involves researching various important aspects of the reaction process itself. Some of the areas covered include reaction mechanisms, chemical kinetics and reaction speed, spontaneity of the reaction, energy absorbed or evolved, catalysts and enzymes, etc.|
|Transport Phenomena and Complex Fluids||This research area revolves around complex Fluids, their characteristics, benefits and harms, etc. This also covers the detailed analysis of Transport Phenomena.|
|Bio-Chemical Engineering||This is a vast area which involves studying and researching various biomolecules. This study generally includes topics like their origin, character, uses, functions, reactions, etc.|
What are the Career Options and Job Profiles Available After Completing PhD Chemical Engineering?
- With a PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, students will be able to get jobs in a wide range of firms which help them by providing a platform to nurture their talent. The trend set in getting a good job usually depends on campus placements.
- With a PhD in Chemical Engineering degree, students will be able to work in various area specializations such as Environmental Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Food Engineering, Waste Engineering etc.
- This sector holds a large number of opportunities for students. PhD Chemical Engineering degree holders will be able to find jobs in numerous sectors including Food Manufacturing Industry, Nanotechnology, and Healthcare etc.
Some of the popular professional jobs available to PhD Chemical Engineering degree holders along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Analytical Chemist||The main job of an Analytical Chemist is to analyse samples from various sources to provide information on compounds or quantities of compounds present in a particular sample. They are known for using analytical techniques and instrumentation such as gas and High-Performance Liquid Chromatography and Spectroscopy etc.||INR 8,48,000|
|Energy Manager||The job role of an Energy Manager is to plan, regulate and monitor the use of energy in a particular organization.||INR 10,24,000|
|Manufacturing Engineer||Manufacturing Engineers usually work towards improving the process of developing high-quality goods efficiently with the help of cost-effective methods. They tend to work towards an aim of reducing the harmful impact of production on the environment.||INR 9,58,258|
|Production Manager||The Production Manager’s job is to produce a particular product and they are responsible for watching both human as well as material resources.||INR 12,57,000|
|Product/ Process Development Scientist||Process Development Scientists are responsible for maximizing the performance of manufacturing units. They usually identify and develop new techniques to manufacture a product and implement mechanisms in order to produce a product of high quality.||INR 10,25,000|
Students who have completed PhD in Chemical Engineering are offered with a large number of job opportunities. The salary trends of some of the top posts that PhD in Chemical Engineering holders can opt for are given below.
What is the Future Scope After Completing a PhD Chemical Engineering Course?
On completion of the PhD Chemical Engineering program, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions.
- With the help of a PhD Chemical Engineering degree, students will be able to make their career in the research field and work as a Research Scientist in the related field.
- If teaching is your passion, you can also opt for a teaching job as a professor in a global university.
- With their immense knowledge, PhD degree holders usually handle positions that need a large amount of intelligence.
Since, this is one of the highest honorary degrees awarded to an individual who have contributed in the field of research. So, after getting this degree one can opt for some of the top positions in the global world or can also go for research work. Some of the topmost career choices after completion of PhD Chemical Engineering course are provided below:
- Professor: If you love to teach and share your knowledge with students, you can opt for a teaching job as a professor of Chemical Engineering in universities across India or Abroad.
- Researcher: If you wish to contribute towards the betterment of the world, you can indulge yourself in the research work and work as a researcher.
So, on completion of PhD Chemical Engineering course students will be able to choose a career as per their skills and area of interest. You can go for research activities or you can also opt for a decent job. It all depends on you whether you want to do the job after completing this course or you wish to do research for the betterment of the world.
PhD Chemical Engineering FAQs
Ques. When will the UGC NET 2020 examination be conducted?
Ans. The UGC NET 2020 June session is usually conducted in the month of June, but owing to this COVID-19 situation, the exam stands postponed to the month of August, 2020. However, this date is again tentative.
Ques. What after a PhD in Chemical Engineering?
Ans. After pursuing PhD Chemical Engineering course, you can opt for jobs as an Analytical Chemist, Production Manager etc. or you can also opt for research work in the same field.
Ques. What are the admission criteria for admission to PhD Chemical Engineering program in Indian colleges/ universities?
Ans. In order to be considered eligible to seek admission to PhD Chemical Engineering, candidates must hold a postgraduate degree in the field of Chemical Engineering with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.
Ques. Where can I pursue a PhD Chemical Engineering program in India?
Ans. Some of the top universities and institutes offering PhD Chemical Engineering program in India are provided in the table below:
Ques. Is PhD in Chemical Engineering a good career option?
Ans. Yes; PhD Chemical Engineering is a good career option and promises students a sound career in this field. One can become a Production Manager, Analytical Chemist etc. on completion of this course.
Ques. What subjects are taught while pursuing a PhD Chemical Engineering course?
Ans. The subjects taught while pursuing PhD Chemical Engineering program include Biological Systems Engineering, Energy and Environment, Materials Engineering, Process Systems Engineering, Reactor Engineering and Transport Phenomena and Complex Fluids.
Ques. I have done M.Sc. in Astrophysics. Can I still pursue PhD Chemical Engineering?
Ans. No; you cannot apply for a PhD in Chemical Engineering course. In order to be eligible to pursue this program, one needs to hold a postgraduate degree in Chemical Engineering.
Ques. How tough is the PhD Chemical Engineering course?
Ans. PhD Chemical Engineering course is not at all tough. If you have interest in Chemistry and Chemicals then it seems easy to you. Basically, it all depends on your interest.
Ques. What will be the admission criteria to pursue PhD Chemical Engineering program from Indian Universities?
Ans. Admission to this course will be done on the basis of candidate’s performance in national level entrance tests such as UGC NET, GATE etc.