PhD in Dental Sciences is a doctoral course which is of 3-year duration.This course focuses on different forms of treatments like dental material, surgical procedures, oral Histology,Pedodotics, Radiology, Dental Anatomy, Oral Pathology, Community Dentistry etc.
Also check: top PhD Dental Sciences Colleges in India here.
Candidates who have completed the master’s degree in Dental Sciences from an equivalent degree from a recognized degree are eligible for a PhD in Dental Science course.
Admission to PhD in Dental Sciences program is done on the merit-based obtained by the candidates at the graduation level. Also, there are many national and state-level colleges/universities which conduct entrance exams for PhD in the Dental Sciences program. While some colleges conduct personal interviews by the faculty.
See Also: PhD Admission 2021
After completion of this course students can work in Dental Clinics, Hospitals, Health centre, Dental College, Pharmaceutical Industries at different positions like Oral Pathologist, Professor, Medical Consultant etc. The Average salary for these professional courses usually ranges between INR 2,00,000 and 20,00,000.
PhD Dental Sciences: Course Highlights
|Course level||Doctorate Degree|
|Full- form||PhD in Dental Sciences|
|Examination type||Semester based|
|Eligibility||The eligible candidate should have passed master’s from a recognized university with a minimum of 55% marks.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 - 15,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 20,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Dental Clinic, Medical Shops, Pharmaceutical Companies, Medical Colleges, Research Institutes.|
|Job Profiles||Dentist, Oral Pathologist, Medical Advisor or Consultant etc.|
PhD Dental Sciences: Admission Process
- Most of the colleges and universities follow an entrance-based process for admission to PhD Dental Sciences courses.
- On cracking the entrance test, candidate’s research topic, proposal, methodology etc. are checked and an interview is held.
Entrance Based Admission
Most of the colleges and universities offer admission to PhD Dental Sciences courses on the basis of entrance exams like UGC NET, CSIR NET etc.
The step-by-step procedure for entrance-based admission is as follows:
- Step 1: Students have to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Fill the application form with correct details.
- Step 3: After examination, a cutoff list will be released on the website. Seats will then be allotted to candidates based on their scores in the entrance exam.
- Step 4: Some colleges also conduct personal interviews and group discussion for admission to this course.
- Step 5: On meeting all the eligibility criteria, a student will then be offered admission to the course.
PhD Dental Sciences: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria that candidates need to fulfill for admission to PhD Dental Sciences course is given below:
- Qualified in any one of the entrance exams: NET, DET, SET, UGC (JRF), CSIR (JRF), Teacher Fellowship or Inspire Fellowship, or equivalent entrance exams.
- Candidates for PhD in Dental Sciences must have pursued Masters in Islamic Studies or equivalent to the degree provided by a recognized university/college.
- Candidates must have gained 55% or its equivalent to CGPA (6.25 in 10 scales) aggregate marks in their Masters or any equivalent to the Master’s degree by statutory regulatory bodies.
- A relaxation of 5% is given from 55% aggregate marks or an equivalent relaxation grade to differently-abled candidates as per the decision of the university/college.
Which are the popular PhD Dental Sciences Entrance Exams?
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the PhD Islamic Studies program.
Listed below are some of these popular PhD Dental Sciences entrance exams.
- GATE: GATE is a national-level exam conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and IITs to select candidates for the award of PhD degree jobs or lectureship in Indian universities and colleges.
- UGC NET: The National Testing Agency conducts this exam on behalf of the University Grants Commission. Qualified candidates are granted admission to the various doctorate level courses. This test is also used for deciding the eligibility for JRF or post of Assistant Professor in colleges and universities.
The application dates, exam dates and the mode of the exam of the above mentioned exams are provided in the table below.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|GATE 2021||September 14 - October 14, 2020||February 5-7 & 12-14, 2021||Online|
|UGC NET 2021||February 02-March 02, 2021||May 02 - 17, 2021||Online|
How to prepare for PhD Dental Sciences entrance exams?
Below mentioned are the tips which candidates can follow to clear the PhD Dental Sciences entrance exams.
- Check the syllabus: Before planning for the entrance exams, first candidates have to go through the syllabus so that they can prepare accordingly. It will help them to prepare well and manage time for their respective exams
- Go through the reference books: Reference books play a vital role in cracking the entrance exams. The edition of the reference book must be of the latest edition with well-known writers, this will help them to understand in easy language.
- Prepare a Timetable: After knowing the syllabus, candidates can prepare a timetable and follow it, which will help them to stick to their subjects. Always focus on weak topics. It will help in preparation.
- Time Management: Time management is the most important part of students' lives. Proper time management will lead to success.
- Refer to Past Years Paper: If candidates only refer to the past few years' exam papers then half of the preparation is done automatically. From previous year’s papers, it will give the candidate an idea to assume which subject is given more importance and from which chapter the most questions are covered.
- Attempt Mock Tests: Attempting the mock test while preparing for entrance exams will always help the candidates. This way candidates will know their strengths and weaknesses.
How to get admission to a good PhD Dental Sciences college?
Getting admission to a good college is a whole process that needs to be executed in a proper way and at an appropriate time. By following the process, will lead the candidates to their dream college. To get admission to a good college candidates needs to follow the below-mentioned tips:
- Research about the college - Generally, good colleges always demand good academic students in their college. This will lead the college to a new level in terms of academic and other traditional and cultural activities. Research thoroughly what the college is demanding and how candidates can fulfill its demand.
- Find the right college for yourself - Different colleges offer different courses and candidates have to find the right college for themselves. They can compare the top colleges and find out the courses they offer. This will help the candidates to fit in the right colleges as per their subject of interest.
- Meet the deadlines or apply early - Always remember that there are thousands of candidates who are looking for a good college. The college also gets numerous applicants, therefore candidates need to apply in the given period and should avoid the last-minute rush.
- Talk to seniors or ex-students - Knowing the reviews about the college from seniors or ex-students will always help select the college. They will give the students the exact information and let them know the inside atmosphere with pros and cons of the college. Also will help to know the admission criteria in detail.
- The entire application process shall be completed - All college applications are different and the entire process shall be completed respectively. The documents and details filled in the application form have to be precise and genuine. Before submitting candidates need to cross-check so that they do not get rejected.
PhD Dental Sciences: Syllabus
Here are the tentative subjects followed by most of the college/university:
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Applied Anatomy||Applied Basic Sciences||Allied Clinical Sciences|
|Etiopathogenesis||Etiopathogenesis Periodontal Diseases||Complete Denture Prosthesis|
|Oral Implantology||Preventive Periodontology||Partial Denture Prosthesis|
|Clinical Periodontology||Recent Activities in Periodontics||Fixed Denture Prosthesis|
PhD Dental Sciences Course: Important Books
Books are necessary for the course of action in daily life for a student. Here is the list of books that will be referred has been given below :
|Name of Book||Author|
|Human Anatomy Regional & Clinical for Dental Students||A.Halim|
|Oral Pathology||R. Rajendra & B. SIVAPATHASUNDRAM|
|Essentials of Medicine For Dental Students||ANIL K. TRIPATHI & KAMAL K. SAWIANI|
|Clinical Operative Dentistry Principles & Practice||Ramya Raghu & Raghu Srinivasan|
PhD Dental Sciences: Top Colleges
The table below shows the best PhD Dental Sciences colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|College/ University||Average Annual Fees|
|The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai||INR 50,000|
|Babu Banarasi Das University, Lucknow||INR 1,20,000|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik||INR 1,00,000|
|Shree GuruGobind Singh Tricentenary University , Gurugram||INR 1,00,000|
|Dr. DY Patil College , Pune||INR 1,47,000|
|Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut||INR 1,08,000|
PhD Dental Sciences: College Comparison
The following table depicts the comparison made among the top PhD Dental Sciences Colleges in India.
|Parameter||The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR University, Chennai||BBDU, Lucknow|
|Objective||The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is a government university, which was established in 1980 to deal exclusively with medical education and research at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral level.||Babu Banarasi Das University, Lucknow is a Private University located in the capital city of Lucknow of the state Uttar Pradesh. The Institute was established in 2010 by Akhilesh Das.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000||INR 8,75,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 1,20,000||INR 7,21,000|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Muskan Dental Care, Khaitan Solutions, GC India Dental Private Limited, Prakash Dental and Medical Care||Muskan Dental Care, Khaitan Solutions, GC India Dental Private Limited, Prakash Dental and Medical Care|
PhD Dental Sciences Vs PhD Nanotechnology
Both PhD Dental Sciences and PhD Nanotechnology are doctoral level courses in the field of Science and Technology.
The comparison between PhD in Dental Sciences and PhD Nanotechnology are as follows:
|Basis||PhD Dental Sciences||PhD NanoTechnology|
|Overview||PhD in Dental Sciences is a master's or postgraduate degree of 3 years which focuses on the field of food production and development. The course deals basically with three specializations which are namely Public Health Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition, Food Science, and Nutrition.||PhD Nanotechnology is a research-based postgraduate or master’s degree program. The course deals with the studies of manipulating matter on an atomic and molecular scale. It mainly focuses on the structures sized between 1-100 nanometers in at least one direction.|
|Course fees||INR 10,000 - 90,000||INR 30,000 - 2,50,000|
|Job Positions||Dentist, Oral Pathologist, Medical Advisor or Consultant, etc.||Project Assistant, Business Development, Admin and Accounts Executive, Professor, Lecturer, Researcher, etc|
|Top Recruiters||Dental Clinic, Medical Shops, Pharmaceutical Companies, Medical Colleges, Research Institutes.||Medicine, Environment, Agriculture, Biotechnology, Food and Beverage, Teaching, Space Research, and much more.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 6,00,000|
PhD Dental Sciences: Future Scope
PhD degree is a doctorate level degree and is the highest educational degree one can earn in the country. Generally one does not pursue further studies post completion of the PhD Dental Sciences degree.
Employability is high and graduates are hired quickly upon completion of their degree in high pay job profiles. With this knowledge, there is no limit to learning and knowledge.
- They have teaching jobs in colleges/universities after this course and then clearing the UGC-NET exam required for becoming a permanent lecturer.
- They have many jobs in regional centers, government administration and various other fields etc.
- Students can also opt for a DSc (Doctor of Science) degree in any related field.
- Once you finish your PhD you can also be qualified for a lecturer post in Dental Sciences and also to teach in colleges and universities with UGC scales.
PhD Dental Sciences: Job and Career Prospects
- PhD Dental Sciences degree holders can begin their vocations as specialists in local area medical clinics, nursing homes, and businesses.
- Experts in the Dental Sciences field may get open doors in territories like Dental facilities, Dental gear makers, Dental item producers, Hospitals, Research Institutes, Pharmaceutical organizations, and so forth.
- Graduates may work in jobs offered by the top dental clinics and ventures incorporate Dentist, Dental specialist, Consultant, Dental specialist, Private expert, Ceramist, Dental lab professional, Sales agent, Medical delegate, Professor, Medical advisor, Pharmacist, Associate Consultant, Customer Relationship Manager, and so on.
- Private specialists can set up their own dental center which could assist them with acquiring certainty and income.
Some of the popular jobs of PhD Dental Sciences doctorates are mentioned below with their average salary packages.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Dentist||Dentists are the keepers of your teeth for treating gingivitis, the mildest version of gum disease. With their training and experience, periodontics can step in and to perform surgeries to address the diseases.||INR 5,00,000|
|Ceramist||Ceramists are answerable for Carrying out active pottery plan and creation exercises, folks research plans and new materials, they construct and advance an innovative and energetic portfolio and liaise with customers, other specialists, exhibition halls, and displays||INR 5,58,000|
|Clinical Consultant||Clinical Consultants are liable for giving thorough medication, guaranteeing the arrangement and conveyance, and support research on medication. They likewise lead clinical practices as per authoritative necessities.||INR 4,00,000|
|Oral Pathologist||Oral Pathologists are responsible for examining Jaw, Mouth, and associated areas using medical equipment. They discuss the diagnosis with patients and refer it to the practitioners.||INR 7,00,000|
PhD Dental Sciences: FAQs
Ques. What is the Best College for a PhD in Dental Sciences?
Ques. What are the average fees for a PhD in Dental Sciences?
Ques. What is the popular specialization referred to as PhD in Dental Sciences?
Ques. What is the course duration of PhD in Dental Science?
Ques. What are the basic entrance exams for PhD in Dental Sciences?
Ques. Do you regret doing a PhD in Dental Sciences?
Ques. Do they offer any placement during or after the completion of the course?
Ques. What are the job opportunities?
Ques. What is the average salary of a dentist?