PhD History or Doctor of Philosophy in History is a 3 years full-time doctorate course which is the study of written events and records of humanity. It explains a broad view of social, cultural, religious, political, and economic developments from the prehistoric times. It grants students to study some of the world's most historical people, events, and cultures. The minimum duration of this program is three years and the maximum duration is five years.
This PhD History program focused on providing knowledge in advanced studies in history in depth. Coursework covers the areas of political study, gender & sexuality, and training imparts knowledge in vast areas. The program is designed for students to develop skills in conducting research work in original and equips them with varied methodologies. The training offers an intensive course and introduces them to theoretical aspects of history and historical practice.
Admission to the PhD History course is based on an entrance test followed by an interview conducted by the various Universities. Candidates who have UGC-CSIR NET (including JRF), UGC-NET (including JRF), SLET, GATE, teacher fellowship holder or have passed M.Phil. The program is exempted from the Entrance Test but is required to appear for the Interview.
To be eligible for undertaking the study of PhD History, candidates must be a qualified graduate with History as their Honors subject. Candidates having passed the postgraduate level are also eligible for this extensive study.
The tabulation below is the list of Top PhD History colleges in India according to India Today:
|NIRF Ranking||Name Of College||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|11||University of Calcutta, Kolkata||Entrance Exam||INR 4,400||INR 5.50 Lakhs|
|15||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||Entrance Exam||INR 9,940||INR 6 Lakhs|
|26||Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi||Entrance Exam||INR 46,815||INR 6.50 Lakhs|
|47||University of Mysore||Entrance Exam||INR 11,000||INR 8 Lakhs|
|79||Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur||Entrance Exam||INR 1,44,500||INR 7.50 Lakhs|
These top schools providing this doctoral program are unique in multiple ways, such as the areas of study offered, applicant requirements, and more. The PhD History program has an average annual course fee which ranges between INR 4,000 - 3 Lakhs depending upon the institute offering the course.
PhD History graduates can choose their profession as professors or lecturers in schools, colleges, universities after completion of this course or they can join any historical group who carry out research and publish their works on a global scale and they also can continue personal research if they intend to. The average annual salary offered for the PhD program ranges between INR 2 - 12 lakhs depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
PhD History Admission Process
Most colleges and institutes offering PhD History courses admit students based on the graduate degree level examination marks. However, there are some institutes which do conduct entrance examinations to judge a candidate’s capability.
The following are the two major pathways through which PhD History admissions takes place:
- Merit-Based Admission: Most private universities that offer PhD History courses usually admit students based on the marks secured at the master’s graduate degree. Besides that, these colleges may conduct a Personal Interview or a small Written Test to further know the candidate’s skills.
- Entrance Exam Based: Top PhD Colleges like Banaras Hindu University, Jamia Millia Islamia, University of Madras, etc. offer admission in the PhD History program through entrance examinations that usually consist of MCQ based questions related to Historical ethics and events, helping the college to screen the deserving candidates for admission.
When the Entrance Exam results will be out then colleges may further conduct a Personal Interview Round of the qualified candidates to know their interest in the course, skills, and career.
PhD History Eligibility
The common PhD History eligibility criteria to be successfully admitted into a college offering this course is as follows:
- Any aspiring candidates should have passed an M.Phil Degree and a Postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline with minimum 55% marks (50% for SC/ST/PH candidates) or an equivalent grade from a University or a recognized institution of higher training.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline with minimum 55% (50% for SC/ST/PH candidates) or an equivalent grade from a university or a recognized institution of higher learning and five years of teaching/industry/administration/professional experience at senior level.
- For Students without M.Phil - Pass in Post-graduation in History with 50% aggregate marks for direct admission into the Ph.D. program. They must complete the Part I examination. The minimum duration of the period for submission of the thesis is 3 years.
- For Students with M.Phil - Pass in a Master’s Degree in History with M.Phil in History. These students are exempted from the Part I examination. The duration for submission of the thesis is 2 years.
The above-stated eligibility criteria are the basic eligibility criteria. Each college will have its criterion on which prospective candidates are judged.
PhD History Entrance Exam
Some colleges that offer PhD History programs require their candidates to sit for an entrance examination.
Listed below are some of the popular PhD History entrance exams.
- CSIR-UGC NET for JRF Entrance Exam: CSIR UGC NET is a national-level exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) on behalf of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to shortlist candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or lectureship in Indian universities and colleges.
- UGC NET Entrance Exam: The UGC NET for JRF, also known as National Eligibility Test (NET) or NTA-UGC-NET, is the test for determining the eligibility for the post of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or Asst. Professor award in Indian universities and colleges.
- JMI Entrance Exam: Jamia Millia Islamia offers various research programs offered in M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses. The Ph.D. programs require the candidates to hold a Master’s Degree as the basic requirement. The admission is based on the Entrance test conducted by Jamia Millia Islamia for each course
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|CSIR-UGC NET for JRF||16 Mar – 15 Apr 2020||21 Jun 2020 (Tentative)||Online|
|UGC-NET for JRF||16 Mar – 16 Apr 2020||15 Jun – 20 Jun 2020||Online|
|JMI Entrance Exam||14 Mar - 15 Apr 2020||Oct 2020||Online|
How to Prepare for a PhD History Entrance Exams?
- The syllabus for PhD History entrance exams will vary from institute to institute. However, most exams concentrate on History related to current affairs subject knowledge and skills.
- The entire entrance exam in most of the subjects is a maximum of 100 marks and the duration of the test is two hours or in some cases, it could be three hours.
- The question paper of the PhD entrance test is divided into two parts out of which: one part contains the objective type (MCQs) and another part contains subjective type questions related to the concerned subject.
- Candidates must follow the previous year’s PhD entrance test question papers and see the pattern of the papers
Students should consider buying study material and practice material of Ph.D. (History) entrance exams so that they prepare well for the same.
How to get admission in a good PhD History college?
To get admission in top PhD History colleges, the following points must be kept in mind:
- The application process for most of the institutes starts in January every year and the classes begin in August.
- The Colleges shortlist candidates through respective entrance exams followed by an interview.
- The best way is to appear for CSIR-NET and UGC-NET exams to get a good college for PhD and some of the colleges' GATE is also used as a prerequisite.
- Getting into a good college for the admission in PhD History program, candidates need to score well in the respective entrance exams.
PhD History: What is it About?
History is the study of the past with primary attention to the activities of human beings over time. PhD History is an extensive academic degree awarded by many universities for hardcore research in any specific piece or detailed information of history.
- In a few countries, PhD History is regarded as one of the highest degrees that any person can earn as it requires an extensive amount of study for long durations of time along with research on those happenings in concern.
- The format of awarding the PhD History degree to any candidate varies from place to place. Whereas a few colleges/ universities may ask for detailed evidence of the study done to achieve the degree, some may ask for the thesis only and proof of the research work done.
- There is simply no specific order of awarding the degree of Doctorate of Philosophy. Usually, the fund required for the research in this field is provided by the university or college from the student’s welfare fund.
- PhD History narrates a broad view of religious, political, social, cultural, and economic developments from the prehistoric times. The lessons generally include an introduction viewpoint of the people's movements and the important events of those periods around this world.
PhD History: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in History|
|Eligibility||Master’s Degree with a minimum of 55%|
|Admission process||Merit-based / Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 – 1 Lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 12 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||CACTUS communications private ltd, Edison education, FIITJEE ltd, Accenture private ltd, IPE global limited|
|Job Positions||Tutor, Researcher, History teacher, Corporate historian, Historical Writer, etc.|
|Area of Employment||Museums, art galleries, historical sites, national parks, archaeological survey of India|
Why Study PhD History?
Students who want to know about research and analyze historical facts and data in great depth are a good suit for the course. They also possess qualities like the capacity to think objectively and approach problems and new situations with an open mind. Candidates also should possess the ability to construct an argument and communicate findings in a clear and persuasive manner, both orally and in writing.
Some of the popular reasons why PhD History must be pursued is as follows:
- A Doctor Degree course in History seeks to establish themes and patterns in human History to expose meaning and common causality.
- Professionals with degrees in history can lead careers as historians, educators, and archivists.
- They can also find employment in museums and at historical sites, teaching visitors about the historical significance of exhibits.
- Candidates also should possess the ability to construct an argument and communicate findings in a clear and persuasive manner, both orally and in writing.
- After passing the course, they can also go for teaching areas both for permanent and that of private.
PhD History Course Comparison
PhD History vs. PhD Ancient History
Both PhD History and PhD Ancient History have a bright future in the field of research and analyze historical facts and data. There are many colleges in India who prefer both of the courses in their academic structure.
Check the table below for more comparative details:
|Parameters||PhD History||PhD Ancient History|
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy, History||Doctor of Philosophy, Ancient History|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||Master’s Degree with a minimum of 55%||Post-graduation|
|Admission process||Merit-based / Entrance Examination||Merit-based / Entrance Examination|
|Job Profiles||Tutor, Researcher, History teacher, Corporate historian, Historical Writer, etc.||Curriculum Design Consultant, Archaeologist, Editor, Associate Lecturer, Subject Matter Expert, Data History Analyst, Historian Researcher, Junior Research Fellow, etc.|
|Area of Employment||Museums, art galleries, historical sites, national parks, archaeological survey of India||Civil services, Media and Press, Educational institutions, Research Labs, Govt. research, Museums, etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 5,000 - 1,00,000||INR 4,000 - 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 12 LPA||INR 3 – 10 LPA|
Source: College Websites
The eligibility and admission criteria for both these degrees are the same. In terms of Career and Salary, both PhD History and PhD Ancient History have great career prospects and job opportunities, and individuals can earn an average salary of around INR 2-12 LPA or more in some cases depending upon candidate's skills, knowledge, and experience.
PhD History Top Colleges
The table below shows the best PhD History colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|Name of College||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 8,368||INR 4 Lakhs|
|University of Hyderabad||Hyderabad||INR 9,940||INR 6 Lakhs|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||INR 4,400||INR 5.50 Lakhs|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi||INR 20,000||INR 5 Lakhs|
|Loyola College||Chennai||INR 9,285||INR 4 Lakhs|
|University of Mysore||Mysore||INR 11,000||INR 8 Lakhs|
|University of Madras||Chennai||INR 10,970||INR 6.25 Lakhs|
|Banasthali Vidyapeeth||Jaipur||INR 1,44,000||INR 7.50 Lakhs|
|IIT BHU||Varanasi||INR 46,815||INR 6.50 Lakhs|
|Utkal University||Bhubaneswar||INR 9,500||INR 3 Lakhs|
PhD History College Comparison
The tabulation below shows the comparison made among the three top PhD History Colleges in India.
|Parameters||Banaras Hindu University||Loyola College|
|Overview||This University is a public university from Varanasi is one of the oldest universities in the country. It is one of the best colleges to pursue a PhD program.||Loyola College was established in 1925, it has students from around the country. Its PhD program is highly ranked among other bachelors of education programs.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 8,368||INR 9,285|
|Average Placement Offered||INR 4 Lakhs||INR 4.50 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Infosys, Coal India, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank, Pantaloon, Visa Steel, FINO, Ansal API, etc.||Amazon, TCS. Wipro, Syntel, Stratagem, etc.|
Source: College Websites
PhD History Syllabus
Although the PhD History course curriculum varies from college to college, it mostly consists of some common foundation courses that students can select based on his/her interests.
The table below shows common subjects that are included in the structured PhD History syllabus and subjects included in it:
|1st Year||2nd Year||3rd Year|
|Readings in trends in the historiography I||Readings in trends in the historiography II||Readings in trends in the historiography III|
|Research Methodology I||Research methodology II||Research Methodology III|
|Themes in early Indian history I||Themes in early Indian history II||Themes in early Indian history III|
|Aspects of social-economic historical of medieval India I||Aspects of social-economic historical of medieval India II||Aspects of social-economic historical of medieval India III|
|Debates in Modern Indian History I||Debates in modern Indian History II||Debates in Modern Indian History III|
PhD History Books
Tabulated below are some of the PhD History subject books that can help students to have a broader and better understanding of the course. The books mentioned below will also help the students in cracking various PhD History exams.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Indian History||Krishna Reddy|
|Modern India||Sumit Sarkar|
|Medieval India||Satish Chandra|
|India’s struggle for Independence||Bipan Chandra|
|The Wonder that was India||A.L. Basham|
PhD History Job Prospects and Career Options
In India, PhD History is one of the top career choices in Arts made by students who opt to research and analyze historical facts and data. There are lots of job opportunities available in India as well as in foreign countries for History graduates.
- After earning the degree of PhD History, people can start as professors or lecturers in Universities or join any historical group who carry out research and publish their works on a global scale and they also can continue personal research if they intend to.
- Having a PhD History degree and a postgraduate qualification in Museum Studies, they could be a curator.
- If graduates want to be in an administrative position likewise in the other sectors this course will be required.
- A lot of museums and galleries have so many vacancies and they will be looking for graduates with teacher training experience rather than there will also be support roles for unqualified people.
- The National Department has a large number of heritage sites that not only manages historic buildings but also vast acreages of grounds which will require traditional agricultural and horticultural management.
The table below shows some of the most common PhD History job profiles and career prospects after completing the course is as follows:
|Job profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|History Teacher||These professionals develop student’s knowledge of historical events and social science at the middle school, high school, and post-secondary schools. They are also responsible for overseeing, supervising, assessing student’s performance, and work as officials.||INR 5 Lakh|
|Researcher||They interact with team managers and verify that all projects and tasks are on schedule. Researchers gather information but that varies by industry and project need. They are preparing tenders for research contacts and also identifying and advising about possible strategies.||INR 5.45 Lakh|
|Historical Writer||They do gather information from various sources including archives, books, and architects. They will analyze and interpret historical information to determine its authenticity and significance.||INR 7.5 Lakh|
|Corporate Historian||Corporate historians communicate with other historians, archivists, and those requesting the research. They organize interviews with filed specialists to know the project results. They also prepare the data and interpret its significance.||INR 6.25 Lakh|
|Tutor||They conduct tutoring schedules for students in their homes, libraries, or schools as well as schedule appointments with students or their parents. They will monitor students' behavior and performance in academic environments.||INR 3 Lakh|
PhD History Future Scope
Students having a PhD History are importantly serving the education industry and due to the laws of UGC one position of Head of Department is always secured for Ph.D holders only.
- Candidates with this degree can find a wide range of opportunities in varied sectors across the globe in educational institutions, libraries, archives, archaeological department’s museums.
- In this field, the job positions include as a data analyst, analyst, journalist, lecturer, library facilitator, educator, researcher, writer, producer, project officer, research assistant, professor, chief operation officer, project manager, communication coordinator, marketing assistant.
- Education careers in history can also lead on to broadcasting careers or writing, providing outlets for historians to share their expertise with public audiences and/or readerships.
- Libraries, galleries, museums, and other historical archives all provide opportunities to pursue history careers in archiving and heritage
Ques. What are the top colleges for PhD History?
Ans. The top institutes and colleges for PhD History are Banaras Hindu University, University of Madras, Loyola College, Utkal University, IIT BHU, among others.
Ques. What are the subjects in PhD History?
Ans. Some of the subjects taught in PhD History are Indian history, ancient history, modern India, etc.
Ques. Which job profiles are available for a PhD History?
Ans. Students of PhD History can work as a Tutor, Researcher, History teacher, corporate historian, Historical Writer, Researcher, etc.
Ques. What is the annual average tuition fee charged for the PhD History program?
Ans. The annual average tuition fee at the top PhD History colleges is between INR 5,000 to INR 3 Lakh.
Ques. What is the scope after PhD History?
Ans. Students can choose a wide range of opportunities in varied sectors across the globe in educational institutions, libraries, archives, archaeological department’s museums.
Ques. What is the average salary in PhD Mathematics?
Ans. The salary ranges from INR 2 – 12 LPA as per the job profile.
Ques. What are the areas of employment in the PhD History field?
Ans. Several areas of employment are there such as students can work at Museums, art galleries, historical sites, national parks, archaeological surveys of India.