What is PhD Humanities?
A Ph.D is a 3 - year post doctoral course which has been designed to focus on human thoughts. It is an advanced course which focuses on relationships and human nature.
Check out the top Phd in Humanities Colleges in India.
Therefore, under this programme, the students would be taught in depth the development of ideas and concepts, the functioning of a society, behavioural patterns and the challenges faced, human interactions and relationships, etc. This degree teaches in depth about humanity and evolution of culture and historical events throughout the centuries.
Students who have completed their masters in either Science, Arts, Commerce, Technology, etc with a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate are eligible for this course. Colleges offer admission through both entrance exams and merit.
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Placement Salary (INR)|
|IIT Bombay||Entrance based||73,000||7,10,000|
|BITS Pilani||Entrance based||1,15,000||9,80,000|
|Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur||Entrance Exam||8,500||7,00,000|
|Delhi Technological University||Entrance Exam||25,000||7,50,000|
A student who has completed a Ph.D in Humanities has career opportunities in a wide variety of fields. The students who graduate from this course can work as teachers, government jobs, consultants, etc.
The highest annual salary of around INR 20 lakhs can be expected which is based on the experience level of the graduate. Also, an average annual salary around INR 4 lakhs can be expected. The course annual fees is around an average of 2 to 12 lakhs
Check Out: List of All PhD Courses in India
Further study options post completion of Ph.D in Humanities include doing another Ph.D or certificate courses.
PhD Humanities Course Highlights
|Full Form||Post-Doctoral in Humanities|
|Eligibility||55% in masters|
|Admission process||Entrance exam based|
|Course fees||From 2,00,000 to 12,00,000|
|Average Salary||4,00,000 (annual)|
|Top Recruiting Places||Consultancy, academic institutions, government, etc|
|Job position||Learning consultant, secondary teacher, researcher, financial assistant, policy advisor, etc.|
PhD Humanities Eligibility
The minimum criterion set for enrolment to the program of Ph.D. in Humanities are as follows:
- Those who have qualified their MA degree in Humanities or hold an M.Phil. with an aggregate of 60% marks and above for General Category and 55% marks and above for SC/ST category can avail for admission.
- Qualifying the entrance examination for this program of Ph.D. by UGC is a prerequisite criteria.
- Candidates after the entrance examinations will have to clear the Interview held by the college or Institution
- Having a professional work experience of minimum 4 years is important.
PhD Humanities Admission Process
The admission process for Ph.D Humanities is usually entrance based and few of the colleges might also conduct a round of personal interview.
- The universities follow the system of entrance exam based admission but few of the colleges offer merit based also.
- The exam will assess the candidate’s general aptitude and critical thinking skills.
- The college websites will usually post the important dates well in advance
- Most of the colleges have an online application system, when once the link is opened you can apply through the prescribed link.
- Application is processed based on the entrance exam.
- Colleges which have an entrance exam for the course will publish the admit card once the application is processed.
See Also: PhD Entrance Exams in India
Following are the steps to be followed for applying for Phd in Humanities:
- Narrow down the colleges that you want to apply to
- Go to the website of the college that you are interested in and create an id as prescribed.
- Fill the details and pay the prescribed fees. Submit required documents if needed.
- The admit card will be provided soon after the application is processed. Please keep a track of the dates of the exams (if applicable).
- Finally, keep checking the college website for recent updates and notifications with regards to the same.
PhD Humanities Entrance Exams
There are few national level conducted entrance exams for most of the colleges. The colleges that do have an entrance exam which is an entrance exam which tests your general aptitude.
- IIT- JAM: An entrance exam conducted by the IIT Bombay for Ph.D admissions to the college. It is a 100 marks paper which has both subjective and objective questions.
- NET: An entrance exam for admission into the UGC-recognized universities. You will be tested on the subject that you chose.
- GATE: An entrance exam conducted for admission to IITs, NIT’s, IIIT’s and CFTIs. The paper is for 100 marks which will have questions that will test your general aptitude and numerical skills.
- MET: An entrance exam for admission to PGDM institutes all over India. The test will assess your English comprehension, general aptitude, mathematical skills and critical reasoning.
|Entrance Exam||Application Date||Exam Date||Result Date||Writing Mode|
|IIT- JAM||22 September 2020 till 15 October 2020||Not yet announced||Not yet announced||Online|
|NET||16 March 2020 – 30 June 2020||24 September 2020||October 2020||Online|
|GATE||14 September 2020 till 30 September 2020||5 February- 14 February 2021||22 March 2021||Online|
|MET||15 July 2020- 27 September 2020||27 August 2020- 3 October 2020||Not yet announced||Online/Offline|
How to Prepare for the Entrance Exam?
The following pointers can be used as a guide to prepare for the entrance exams. These are a few points to help in exam preparation. Please visit the official website of the respective colleges that you wish to apply for more information.
- The exams are usually online exams but there are few exams which are paper based tests.
- The general format that is usually followed is objective type questions.
- The paper would usually assess your general knowledge skills and aptitude.
- Improve on your aptitude and numerical skills.
Points to Keep in mind while Preparing for the Entrance Exams
- Go for entrance exams crash courses if available in your area.
- Allocate at least 4 hours every day for studying.
- Make notes while studying. These can help up with last minute quick revisions.
- Focus on your weak subjects and allocate more time to them.
- Focus more on aptitude and critical thinking
- Focus on numerical based questions also.
- For question papers that are subjective in nature, focus on revising the study material you had for your master’s program. Also collect study material relevant from an exam viewpoint.
- If previous years question papers are available, then it is good to solve them as it will build up your confidence. While solving the previous papers, keep in mind that there are negative marks so attempt accordingly.
How to Get Admission in a Good College?
These are few steps one can follow to get into a good college.
- Follow the colleges that you are interested in closely.
- Find out when does the application process begins
- Fill the application form as early as possible as this will give you time to fill out the form and gather the required documents without any hurry.
- Ensure the form is filled out correctly.
- Make sure all the required documents are there and that those documents are up to date.
- Attend crash courses and keep doing revisions.
- Call alumni of the colleges you are interested in and get information regarding the course and admission process.
- In case of doubt, call the management and get updated information.
PhD Humanities Syllabus
The table below highlights the subjects that you would learn over the period of this course. Subjects might vary slightly depending upon the colleges. This is the subject that one should expect to be taught.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Research methods in social sciences Contemporary Trends in Philosophical Analysis Logic: Formal and Philosophical||Statistical methods Practise and Theory in Literary Research Philosophical point of view and Major Thinkers|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Advanced Economic Theory A Survey of Modernity||Advanced Psychological Theory Twentieth-Century Critical Theory|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Advanced Theory of Society Research Methods in Economics||Theory of Knowledge Applied Econometrics|
These books are few of the recommended reading for students who want to pursue a postdoctoral program.
|Putting the Humanities PhD to Work: Thriving in and Beyond the Classroom||Katina L. Rogers|
|How to get a Ph. D||Estelle Phillips|
|Working for a Doctorate: A Guide for the Humanities and Social Sciences||Norman Graves, Ved P. Varma|
|How to Publish Your PhD||Sarah Caro|
|Civil Society and Democratization in India: Institutions, Ideologies and Interests||Sarbeswar Sahoo|
PhD Humanities Top Colleges
Top Colleges that provide PhD Humanities are mentioned below along with the location, average annual fees and average annual payment:
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Placement (INR)|
|National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)||Kolkata||25,000||3,50,000|
|Centurion University of Technology and Management||Bhubaneswar||60,000||4,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology||Thiruvananthapuram||16,300||3,30,000|
|National Institute of Technology||Shillong||23,250||3,00,000|
PhD Humanities College Comparison
A comparison between the best colleges offering Ph.D in Humanities in India has been mentioned in the table below. Three colleges have been taken for the comparison. This is done to give a wider idea as well as to show the similarities and difference between the colleges:
|Parameters||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||Vel- Tech Dr. Rr & Dr. Sr university, Chennai||BITS Pilani, Rajasthan|
|Overview||It is one of the top colleges in India.||It is a private deemed institution focusing on science and technology and interdisciplines||A private college which offers courses in different fields.|
|Eligibility||55% - 60% aggregate of any master’s programme||55% - 60% aggregate of any master’s programme||55% - 60% aggregate of any master’s programme|
|Average Fees||73,000||Not provided||1,15,000|
|Average Annual Salary||20.3 lakhs||The college offers a stipend of 15,000-32,000 per month||9.8 lakhs|
Why Study PhD Humanities?
There are a multitude of reasons why one should study a Ph.D in Humanities, The foremost being it will provide you with valuable process skills that will ensure that you are always in demand in the market. The other reasons would be as listed below:
- A candidate who has a degree in this course is a step towards their calling to work for the well-being of humans.
- It will also give your respect in the society as you will be involved in understanding the interactions of humans with society.
- Students can go into further studies by taking up another Ph.D or go for certificate courses.
- This degree also offers careers in a wide variety of fields.
- Students learn a wide variety of skills through this course like the ability to analyse data, collect information, etc
- It will also help you stay ahead of your counterparts as you can assess human behaviour
- You can be a consultant as your critical skills will be honed after this course which will turn you into a valuable asset.
- You can contribute to areas such as policy development and analysis, sponsorship, communications, etc.
PhD Humanities Scope
The degree helps you to understand how humans interact with each other. It, thereby provides you to be in a field that will have you work in close proximity with humans and their overall health and well-being.
Career Options after Phd in Humanities.
- You can work in the field of academia that is involved in research, teaching, etc.
- You can work in industries like public service, consultancy, writing, etc.
- You can also work as a Consultant, Policy Advisor, etc.
Study Options after Phd in Humanities.
You can do another Ph.D in a different discipline.
Ph.D in Humanities has various career options which therefore makes it easier for you to choose based on the area of preference. You can choose from a job that is either academically oriented or a non-academically oriented option.
PhD Humanities Jobs
The job prospectus as mentioned earlier, students who have completed this course can work as Learning Consultant, Financial Analyst, Government jobs, Researchers, etc. These are just a few of the career options mentioned, there are more options out there that are suited for you based on your interests.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Financial Analyst||Analysing and identifying the financial risks of a company||4,10,000|
|Higher Education Administrator||In charge of the overall functioning of a college or a university.||14,30,000|
|Industry Researcher||Perform research that is specific to the industry to improve on the existing designs||9,70,000|
|Learning Consultant||Interacting with students and guiding them to choose a college or school based on their interests.||7,00,000|
PhD Humanities FAQ
Ques: How is the educational experience of studying Ph.D in humanities ?
Ans: It depends on the student and the area of research chosen by him.
Ques: What is the average annual fees that would be required to complete the degree?
Ans: The average fees would range between 7,000 to 4,00,000 .
Ques: Which exam should I clear to get admission for this course?
Ans: Admission is through merit.
Ques: What is the duration of the course?
Ans: The duration of the course is between 3- 5 years.
Ques: What are the career options?
Ans: Higher education administrator, financial analyst, government policy advisor, learning consultant, etc
Ques: Whether studying this course is a good choice?
Ans: Yes, especially if you want interested in the field of humanities and like to make an impact on human interactions and society.
Ques: Why is this course a good career choice?
Ans: It is a good choice, as there is a demand for people who can identify human behaviours and patterns and work accordingly in a manner that would benefit the humankind.
Ques: How hard is this course, is it a challenging course?
Ans: Ph.D. courses in general is a challenging, by nature. It mainly depends on your area of research and your thesis topic.
Ques: What stream should I take in my masters to be eligible for this course?
Ans: Any discipline of either Arts, Science , Commerce, etc.
Ques: Whether humanities is a dying field?
Ans: No, it is not a dying field as there’s always research and innovation happening in this field.
Ques: Does the college have placements drives for this course?
Ans: Depends from college to college.
Ques: Whether the course is expensive in nature?
Ans: No, the course is not expensive, the maximum you would spend per year would be 3 lakhs.