PhD in Humanities and Social Science is a doctorate level programme that has a duration of 3 years. The degree focuses on the intricate social relationships of human society and may include communication studies, social and health services, regional development, and the economy.
Candidates must have a Master’s degree in either stream of Engineering, Technology, Arts, Science or Commerce. To be eligible, candidates must have passed with an aggregate of 60% marks and above.
Candidates are selected based on their performance in the entrance exam. Also, the entrance examinations, conducted across the country include GATE, NET, MET, ICSR, etc need to be cleared.
Some of the top PhD in Humanities and Social Science institutes are IIT, Bombay, Jamia Millia Islamia, NIT, Warangal, IIT, Ropar etc In general, the program fee ranges approximately between INR 15,000 to 3.85 Lacs.
The subjects of social sciences include economics, psychology, and history, while philosophy, languages and literature, and the arts are the subjects studied in the humanities. Students taking this course gain strong communication and critical thinking skills as well as an understanding of cultural differences.
PhD in Humanities and Social Science opens profitable doors for students on the job front. In the fields of public service, NGOs, finance sectors, as advisors to MNCs and other government companies, have lots of opportunities.
The average annual salary earned by doctorates after the completion of the program ranges between INR 6 to 8 Lacs per annum.
PhD Humanities & Social Science: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Doctorate Level|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in either stream of Arts/Technology/Engineering/Commerce/Science with 60% marks and above.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-based or Merit-Based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 15,000 to 3.85 Lacs|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6 to 8 Lacs Per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||NGOs, Public and Private Companies, Research, etc.|
|Job Positions||Market Analysts, Researchers, Linguist, Counsellors, etc.|
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Admission Process
Colleges offering PhD Humanities and Social Science admit students based on their performance in the entrance examination conducted by the admission authorities followed by subsequent admission rounds.
- Registration to the admission portal of the respective college is required before applying for PhD in Humanities and Social Science.
- Use your credentials to log-in to the device, after registration.
- Enter the correct First Name, Middle Name and Last Name, Email address, and Date of Birth while registering to the Admission portal.
- Before starting to fill-up the form, read the information brochure carefully.
- Candidates need to pay the fees online after the submission of the form.
- Candidates need to upload all the relevant documents in the required format at the time of submission.
- Payment of the fee is mandatory, otherwise, the admission will be cancelled.
- Candidates would have to clear up the entrance examination held for admission to the PhD program, such as GATE, NET, MET, ICSR and others.
- This will be followed by a Direct Interview held by the faculty of respective colleges.
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for PhD in Humanities and Social Science aspirants is not complicated and will differ from institute to institute.
- Masters or equivalent degree with a minimum of 55% in Cognitive Science, Commerce, Economics, English Literature, Linguistics, Management, Philosophy, Psychology, or any other related area.
- The applicant must either have a valid GATE rating or have applied for/in JRF/NET.
- The age limit is preferably not more than 28 years.
- It is considered advantageous to have a minimum of 2 years of professional work experience for admission.
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Entrance Exams
Many universities/colleges/institutes conduct entrance exams to give admission to PhD applicants. Candidates should find out the top entrance test for the course in India.
- Graduate Aptitude Test: GATE is an online national level examination carried out for Master of Engineering (ME), Master of Technology (MTech), and direct PhD admissions to Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and other Indian institutes/universities.
- BITS PhD Entrance Examination: After passing the PhD qualifying exam, a candidate is admitted to the full-time or part-time PhD program, followed by an interview conducted by the institute.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR): CSIR UGC NET is a bi-annual national examination carried out by the National Testing Agency (NTA) to select applicants for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) award and to assess their eligibility for appointment as lecturers at Indian universities and colleges.
- ICMR JRF: The first step in the process of admission to the Ph.D/Research Programme through Council support is the ICMR JRF Examination. Tests for the ICMR JRF fellowship are carried out once a year at the 12 centres. By holding an entrance examination, the JRF award is made on the basis of merit.
- DTU PhD Entrance Test: Each year, Delhi University conducts the DTU PhD Entrance Test to admit students. In the month of November, you can obtain an examination form for the same.
|Exam Name||Registration Date||Exam Date||Mode of Exam|
|GATE||To be announced||To be announced||Online|
|ICMR JRF||To be announced||To be announced||Online|
|BITS PhD Entrance Examination||To be announced||To be announced||Offline|
|CSIR UGC NET||To be announced||To be announced||Offline|
|DTU PhD Entrance Test||May 08, 2021||To be announced||Offline|
How to get admission to a good PhD Humanities and Social Science College?
If you are planning to take admission in a PhD programme, make sure to do your research on eligibility and PhD entry requirements early on. Here are several tips that can help you with getting admission to a good college:
- A good or excellent academic record is one of the key things that universities will be looking for, which is particularly important if you are applying for a PhD scholarship.
- Most universities need three letters of recommendation to be given by you. Individuals who supervised you in a job or community service/volunteering atmosphere may also write letters of recommendation.
- One of the most critical aspects of the application process is possibly the research proposal. Try to get some advice and input from your academic colleagues, tutors, or even a future boss.
- In your resume, clearly describe your education, research experience, work experience, publications in scholarly journals, awards and distinctions earned, and any other extracurricular activities.
- Finally, the application process for any PhD program is just a series of steps that you need to follow carefully and with patience, even though it seems a little overwhelming at first. Be inspired and optimistic!
PhD Humanities and Social Science: What is it About?
In a highly specialized field of study, doctoral programs offer advanced expertise and research opportunities. Humanities & Social Sciences in the field of study that teaches students how the modern world has been influenced by history, literature, music, religion, and culture.
On one hand, social science focuses on anthropology, archaeology, and politics, while on the other, humanities focuses on art, music, and literature. That is why, while the two streams are separate, they are often studied together as both complements each other.
A student will have the opportunity to think and respond to current issues by studying humanities and social sciences that require an innate understanding of the main geographical, historical, economic, political, and societal factors involved.
Why Study PhD in Humanities and Social Science?
Here are the top 5 benefits of studying PhD in humanities and social sciences:
- The humanities and social sciences assist you to develop your artistic abilities. This niche will assist you to grow ingenious ideas and serve as a booster for your brilliant career.
- Nobody can better understand the effect on society or civilization of science, technology, arts, music, history, literature, and philosophy than a student of humanities and social sciences.
- Studying the humanities and social sciences will benefit you a lot if you want to move abroad or even work there.
- Studying humanities and social sciences will make the importance of empathy known to a student.
- Your social talents are amplified by studying humanities and social science.
- When learning the basic concepts of social sciences, students will gain hands-on experience.
PhD Humanities & Social Science: Top Colleges
|Name of the Institute||Average Annual Fee|
|Gujarat University, Gujarat||INR 14,860|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, Rajasthan||INR 45,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||-|
|Bhagwant University, Rajasthan||NA|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Rajasthan||INR 1,10,125|
|Himalayan University, Arunachal Pradesh||INR 3,85,000|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU), Punjab||INR 3,16,000|
|Dr C.V. Raman University, Bilaspur||NA|
PhD Humanities & Social Science: College Comparison
|Objective||IIT Bombay was the first Indian Institute to lay its foundation stone, supported by UNESCO. More than 70 courses at UG, PG, and PhD levels are offered in the fields of technology, engineering, research, management, and design.||In 1964, an act of the Indian Parliament created the Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani, popularly known as BITS Pilani. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programmes in the fields of engineering, technology, management, science, humanities and technology.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||3rd||27th|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1,50,000||INR 1,10,125|
|Average Annual Placement||INR 8 to 9 Lacs||INR 6 to 7 Lacs|
|Top Visited Companies||3M, Amazon.com, ACCENTURE, Citigroup, Adobe, Barclays Bank, Cadbury, Eaton Ltd, Infosys, etc.||Barclays, IBM, Capital IQ, HDFC, eBay, Capgemini, Aditya Birla Corp, Facebook, Capital IQ etc.|
PhD Humanities & Social Science: Syllabus
The PhD in Humanities and Social Science programme equips the theoretical-practical manner, wherein the students are provided with a holistic approach and are required to work on formulating research thesis in either of the fields listed during the final year of the program under the guidance of experts.
The overall syllabus adopted in the curriculum by most of the universities and colleges covered is tabulated as follows:
|Research Methodology||Micro-Level Planning: Principles, Methods, and Case Studies|
|Development Planning & Policies||Project/Assignment|
|Socio-Psychological Perspectives on Development and Change||Dissertation|
Note: However, syllabus of this program vary for different colleges.
PhD Humanities & Social Science: Course Comparison
|Course||PhD Humanities and Social Science||PhD Humanities|
|Full form||Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Humanities and Social Science||Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Humanities|
|Duration||3 years||3-5 years|
|Course Overview||PhD in Humanities and Social Science is a doctorate level programme of 3 years. It focuses on the intricate social relationships of human society and may include communication studies, social and health services, regional development, and the economy.||PhD is a 3-year post-doctoral course which has been designed to focus on human thoughts. It is an advanced course which focuses on relationships and human nature. Graduates are taught in depth the development of ideas and concepts, the functioning of a society, behavioural patterns and the challenges faced, human interactions and relationships, etc.|
|Eligibility||60% in postgraduation from related subject||55% in postgraduation from related subject|
|Admission Process||Entrance-exam based||Entrance-exam based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 15,000 to 3.85 Lacs||INR 2,00,000 to 12,00,000|
|Job Positions||Market Analysts, Researchers, Linguist, Counsellors, etc.||Learning consultant, secondary teacher, researcher, financial assistant, policy advisor, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||NGOs, Public and Private Companies, Research, etc.||Consultancy, academic institutions, government, etc|
|Average salary||INR 2 to 9 Lacs per annum||INR 4 lacs|
PhD Humanities & Social Science: Future Scope
In India and abroad, the scope of courses in the humanities and social sciences is enormous. One of the best aspects of studying these courses is that a student does not need any specialization or previous technical experience, so this stream is best suited for anyone.
A doctoral candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with our generation's brightest minds, who have dedicated their lives to understanding the arts, music, literature, history, and philosophy.
So, you can rest assured that you can enjoy a highly satisfying career after obtaining a degree in humanities and social sciences.
PhD Humanities & Social Science: Job Profile
If you have a keen interest in learning arts, culture, history, music, literature, and politics then PhD in Humanities and Social Science is perfect for you.
After completing PhD in humanities and social sciences, a student will be welcomed in the private, public, or government sector. If interested, a student may also venture into entrepreneurship activities. Also, if they want to change the lives of others by being a beacon of light, they may become a professor at a prestigious college or university.
So, here are some of the career opportunities after completing a degree in humanities and social sciences:
|Job Roles||Job Description||Average Annual Package|
|Researchers||To solve issues, explore problems, and forecast patterns, researchers are responsible for gathering, organizing, and analyzing opinions and data.||INR 3 to 5 Lacs|
|Lecturer||Lecturers are professionals who use a variety of methods and platforms to plan, produce and deliver content. They develop resources for the course, lesson plans, and curricula, conduct research and fieldwork, and engage with students.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
|NGO Executive||The executive ensures that all operations conducted are important to the organization's mission and vision.||INR 3 to 5 Lacs|
|Linguist||Linguists study the language and the variables that affect the use of language. In many industries, they can translate, analyze, study, and interpret language.||INR 2 to 5 Lacs|
|Counsellor||Counsellors work with people who are having personal challenges in confidential environments, to help them solve their issues and to make appropriate adjustments to their lives.||INR 2 to 9 Lacs|
|Author||An author's duties include writing original stories for books, plays, scripts for television, and movies. Authors also compose journals, construct elements of tales, rewrite and update pieces written by other authors.||INR 2 to 7 Lacs|
|Orator||An orator is responsible for conducting pre-speech studies, writing and outlining speech scripts, and supplying audiences throughout the state with high-quality speeches.||INR 3 to 5 Lacs|
The top recruiters in this field include:
PhD Humanities & Social Science: FAQs
Quest: Is the entrance test required for admission in PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences?
Quest: What are the highest paying jobs in Humanities and Social Sciences?
Quest: Is a PhD in Humanities and Social Science degree worth it?
Quest: What is expected in the research proposal?
Quest: What is the role of a market analyst in this field?
Quest: What are the research areas available in the Humanities and Social Science stream?
Quest: What is the initial salary after completing PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences?
Quest: When are the application forms for the PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences generally released?
Quest: What are the next steps after completing the doctoral degree?