PhD Design is a full-time Doctorate level course in Design. The course duration is three years. The design course prepares students to use their creative instincts and produce reliable and feasible designs with fabric, furniture, and lighting. This advanced-level degree program in Design requires one to be creative and innovative at the same time. One should be able to think out of the box and convert those ideas into complete and practical products.
Candidates who wish to pursue this course must possess a Master's degree in Design or an equivalent degree from a recognized college or university with an aggregate of a minimum of 50%. Creative thinking and good observation skills are the two key attributes of the course. Admission to the course is usually merit-based. Therein marks obtained in the qualifying examinations are considered for the purpose of offering admission to the students. However, there are certain colleges and universities which conduct their own entrance exams in order to shortlist students for admission into the course. After the written test, there may be a personal interview round as well.
Some of the top colleges offering PhD Design are given below.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai||Entrance based||INR 67,900||INR 6 LPA|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||Entrance Based||INR 57,000||INR 5.7 LPA|
|7||Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati||Entrance Based||INR 12,200||INR 6 LPA|
|63||Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida||Entrance Based||INR 1,16,000||INR 9.6 LPA|
|73||Symbiosis International University||Entrance Based||INR 3,00,000||INR 6 LPA|
The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course in India lies anywhere in between INR 10,000 to 2 Lakhs Per Year. The fee varies as per the type of the institution. It also depends on the marks obtained by a candidate in his/her postgraduate examinations.
Scholars with a PhD in Design degree can easily expect an initial salary of INR 2 LPA to INR 20 LPA. The salary depends on one's expertise and the experience earned by an individual in the concerned field.
Some of the top recruiting areas for PhD Design scholars include Information Technology, Textile Industry, Events Management Companies, Fashion Design, Environment Design, Film Companies, TV, Theatres, etc.
What is the PhD Design Admission Process?
Admission to the course is usually merit-based. Therein marks obtained in the qualifying examinations are considered for the purpose of offering admission to the students. However, there are certain universities which conduct their own entrance exams in order to shortlist students for admission into the course. Some of the most popular entrance exams conducted nationally are AIEED, CIEED, SOFT, CEED, etc.
Submit the application to the colleges or universities you are interested in for admission.
- Perform well in the postgraduate examinations as the scores obtained in these form the basis of the entire admission process.
- In due course of time, universities release their cutoff lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
Entrance Based Selection
Submit the application to the colleges or universities you are interested in for admission.
- Register for the entrance exams you will be required to qualify in order to make it the college of your choice.
- In order to get shortlisted for further rounds of admission, one must score above the minimum qualifying marks set by the respective college or university.
- After the written test, a personal interview round is conducted for preparing the final merit list of the shortlisted candidates.
- Once all the tests are conducted, the colleges or universities declare the result and release a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates on the basis of the written test and personal interview round.
- After the admission process, the seats are allocated to the deserving candidates and the candidates are required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
Also check out the top institutes in India for PhD Design in 2020
What is the PhD Design Minimum Eligibility Criteria?
Students who wish to pursue a PhD in Design must meet up with the following eligibility criteria.
- A candidate must possess a Master’s degree in Design or any equivalent degree from a recognized college or university.
- A candidate must have secured at least 50% marks in the postgraduate examinations.
Which are the Various PhD Design Entrance Exams Conducted in India?
Admission to PhD in Design course is either entrance based or merit-based. In an entrance based method, students are required to qualify an entrance exam in order to seek admission in any concerned college. Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into PhD in Design are given below.
- AIEED: AIEED or All India Entrance Examination for Design is conducted by ARCH Academy of Design. It is a national level entrance exam conducted in order to shortlist students for admissions into various Design related degree programs.
- NIFT: National Institute of Fashion Technology conducts its own entrance test for shortlisting candidates for various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral degree programs.
- CEED: CEED or Common Entrance Examination for Design is a joint entrance test conducted annually for offering admission into various postgraduate and doctoral studies in the field of Design.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Application Period||Exam Date (Tentative)|
|NIFT||Offline||October to December||January|
|AIEED||Online||October to November||December-January|
|CEED||Online & Offline||October to November||January|
How to Prepare for the PhD Design Entrance Exams?
Scoring well in an entrance exam is not a difficult task if one is well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence, one should go through the previous year's papers and perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern.
- The GAT or General Ability Test has questions based on reading comprehension, verbal ability, logical reasoning, basic maths and general knowledge.
- The English section of the exam tests one's comprehension and verbal abilities. The best way to get acquainted with the language is to do as much reading as possible. Apart from this, one must look out for sectional questions from previous year papers and sample papers.
- The aptitude and logical reasoning section are designed to test one's aptitude and problem-solving skills.
- The questions based on math are based on high school mathematics and are simple in nature.
- Mock tests are the most important part of the whole preparation process. Once done with the syllabus, one must start taking mock tests. One must solve at least 15 to 20 mock tests before appearing for the actual exam.
Find the Top PhD Design Colleges in Maharashtra here
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Design College?
Getting a seat in a good college doesn't seem a difficult task when one knows the complete path which one would be required to travel while going through the admission process. Below given are some of the key points which one must keep in mind if one aspires for admission in a good college.
- The admission process to the course is either entrance based or merit-based.
- In the case of merit-based selection, one must perform well in the qualifying examinations.
- In the case of entrance based selection, it is very important to perform well and score enough in the entrance exam in order to get admission in a good college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern. One must also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and must prepare accordingly.
- One must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before as this gives ample time for learning and revision. Do keep a target institute in mind.
PhD Design: What is it About?
Having prior knowledge about the program that one wants to pursue increases the performance in that program by many folds. One must be very clear about the expectations which one tends to keep from the course. Hence to ease the process, a brief idea about the PhD Design program is mentioned below.
- PhD in Design is an advanced level Design course. The course prepares students to use their creative instincts and produce reliable and feasible designs with fabric, furniture, and lighting.
- This advanced-level degree program in Design requires one to be creative and innovative at the same time. One should be able to think out of the box and convert those ideas into complete and practical products.
- PhD in Design course helps one understand the very intricacies of the whole Design industry. It develops and enhances the ability to have creative and innovative approaches for various business processes.
- Some of the major topics covered under this course include basics in design, social behavior, cognitive neuroscience, aesthetic appreciation, playfulness and gratification, designing strategies, multi-sensory processes, entrepreneurship, project management, experience design, system design, etc.
- The course helps students implement a creative strategic leadership approach throughout the design process, which ultimately leads to an ability to design contextually effective strategies, business processes, policies, tools, and techniques for any and all sectors.
Check out the best colleges of Tamil Nadu offering PhD design here
PhD Design Course Highlights
Some of the most popular highlights of the PhD Design degree program have been tabulated below.
|Examination Type||Semester based|
|Eligibility||M.Des or Equivalent Degree with an aggregate mark of 50%|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or Entrance-based|
|Top Entrance Exams||NIFT, CEED, AIEED|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 10,000 to 2 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 LPA to 20 LPA|
|Top Job Profiles||Costume Designer, Fabric Designer, Technical Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Interior Designer Executive, Interior Designer, Assistant Manager, Accounts Executive, Architect, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Information Technology, Textile Industry, Environment Design, Events Management Companies, Fashion Design, TV, Theatres, Film Companies, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Steelcase, Microsoft, Motorola, Apple, Amazon, Concentrix, AMTI, and, UBIQUITY global services, etc.|
Why Study PhD Design?
PhD in Design is one of the most sought after courses in India in terms of personal growth and career growth opportunities. The course has many benefits attached to it. Some of the benefits and perks of pursuing this course are given below:
- PhD in Design is an advanced level course. Students interested in learning the very intricacies of the design industry must pursue this course.
- The course imparts essential knowledge about the design process, how it is carried out and how it has evolved over the past years. It is a research-based course. It requires one to perform extensive research in the field of design. Students generally pick up any topic and then construct a research-based project around that topic.
- After completing a PhD in Design, one becomes eligible for the position of professor or lecturer in any design college or university. Hence it's a must-do course for students who want to dive into the field of academics.
- The course inculcates several skills in an individual. Some of these are problem-solving, drawing conclusions, making logical recommendations, time management, etc.
- The course makes one capable of earning good money. The starting salary of a PhD Design professional is INR 2 to 20 LPA.
- The course offers diverse job opportunities. Some of the top job positions one can expect are Costume Designer, Fabric Designer, Technical Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Interior Designer Executive, Interior Designer, Assistant Manager, Accounts Executive, Architect, etc.
PhD in Design vs PhD in Architecture: Which is Better?
PhD in Design and PhD in Architecture are two different courses built on the same platform of creativity and innovation. Some of the key similarities and differences between these two courses have been tabulated below.
|Parameters||PhD in Design||PhD in Architecture|
|Course Overview||PhD Design course prepares students to use their creative instincts and produce reliable and feasible designs with fabric, furniture, and lighting. This advanced-level degree program in Design requires one to be creative and innovative at the same time. One should be able to think out of the box and convert those ideas into complete and practical products.||PhD in Architecture is a three-years degree program which demands students to perform extensive research in the field of architecture. Students learn about the very intricacies of the whole construction process. At the end of the program they are required to produce a thesis pertaining to their research work.|
|Admission Process||Entrance based or Merit-based||Entrance based or Merit-based|
|Entrance Exams||AIEED, NIFT, CEED, etc.||NATA, CETs, etc.|
|Average Fee||INR 10,000 to 2 lakhs||INR 20,000 to 2 Lakhs|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 2 LPA to 20 LPA||INR 3.5 LPA to 18 LPA|
|Top Job Profiles||Costume Designer, Fabric Designer, Technical Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Interior Designer Executive, Interior Designer, Assistant Manager, Accounts Executive, Architect, etc||Civil Engineers, Construction Managers, Industrial Designers, Drafters, Building constructor, etc.|
|Top Colleges||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad, National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Gandhi Nagar, Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida, Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune, Pearl Academy, Mumbai, etc.||School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, NIT, Trichy, Anna University, Chennai, etc.|
Which are the Top PhD Design Colleges in India?
PhD in Design course is offered by many top colleges across the country. Some of the top colleges offering this course have been mentioned below with several other details.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai||INR 67,900||INR 6 LPA|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||INR 57,000||INR 5.7 LPA|
|7||Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati||INR 12,200||INR 6 LPA|
|63||Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida||INR 1,16,000||INR 9.6 LPA|
|73||Symbiosis International University||INR 3,00,000||INR 6 LPA|
|-||National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar||INR 2,12,000||INR 4 LPA|
|-||Banasthali VIdyapeeth, Jaipur||INR 1,07,000||INR 3.2 LPA|
|-||NIFT Tea College of Knitwear Fashion, Tiruppur||INR 18,200||INR 3.8 LPA|
|-||PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore||INR 8,900||INR 3 LPA|
PhD Design Top College Comparison
Selecting one among various colleges can be a daunting task. This becomes more difficult when all the colleges hold a certain level of reputation. Hence, to ease the process, two of the top colleges offering PhD in Design have been compared below based on various parameters.
|Parameter||IIT Mumbai||Amity School of Fashion Technology||Symbiosis International University|
|NIRF Rank 2020||4||63||73|
|Overview||IIT Mumbai is one of the premier institutes offering design education across the country. The institute has 16 campuses spread all over the country. These colleges offer undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degree programs in various design specializations.||Amity School of Fashion Technology is located in Noida, Uttar, Pradesh. The institute has been accredited by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) with an 'A+' grade. The school is a part of the global Amity University. It offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral degree programs in various design specializations.||Symbiosis International University has been one of the pioneers in providing top-notch education to the students of India across numerous UG, PG, and PhD courses.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 67,900||INR 1.5 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 6 LPA||INR 9.6 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Zara, BlackBerry Clothing, Bata India, Decathlon, Dixcy, H&M, etc.||Aditya Birla Group, Bestseller, Only, Gap, Label Ritu Kumar, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.||Prada, Levis, GAP, Sabyasachi, Manish Malhotra, etc.|
PhD Design Syllabus
PhD in Design is a 3-year degree program. Each year consists of 2 semesters. The course curriculum incorporates various assignments and a lot of research work. A detailed year-wise breakup of the course is given below.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Management organizational behavior||Accounting for managers||HRM|
|Managerial economics||Computer applications in management||Entrepreneurship development|
|Customer relationship management||Research methodology||Business laws|
|communication skills and report writing||Building materials and elements||Interior space planning services|
|Foundation to design basic drawing||CAD||Estimation costing|
Which are the Best PhD Design Books to Follow?
Some of the best books which one can follow while studying PhD Design course are mentioned below:
|Geometry of Design||Kimberly Elam|
|Laying the Foundations: A Book About Design Systems||Andrew Couldwell|
|About Face — The Essentials of Interaction Design||Alan Cooper, David Cronin, and Robert Reimann|
|100 things every designer needs to know about people||Susan Weinschenk|
|The Paradox of Choice — Why More Is Less||Barry Schwartz|
What are the PhD Design Jobs and Career Prospects?
PhD in Design course comes with various jobs and career opportunities. Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect a salary of INR 2 lakhs to 20 lakhs per annum. The salary offered is proportional to the experience earned in the respective field.
Some of the major job profiles available to PhD Design professionals are mentioned below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Costume Designer||A costume designer thoroughly visualizes and analyses the character and then combines elements of color and fabric textures to create any particular look. It is generally a competitive field for employment. Those with deep observation and creative skills tend to survive in the long run.||INR 5,40,000|
|Architect Interior||Interior architect’s drafts plan to create furnished spaces in private homes or commercial buildings. While doing so they thoroughly discuss with clients about their taste. These professionals create designs that are as per the state, federal, and local building regulations.||INR 3,74,000|
|Graphic Designer||A Graphic designer creates an appealing image using digital, electronic, and print media. They make brochures, movie credits, design logos, signs, and website graphics. The common recruiting areas for such professionals include marketing, advertising, media management firms. They are responsible for creating graphics that are well received by consumers.||INR 2,74,000|
|Fabric Buyer||These professionals purchase a wide range of finished goods and products either to be sold in the wholesale or retail market. They generally evaluate the current trends and make the purchases accordingly.||INR 5,21,000|
|Technical Designer||A Technical designer works with computers and may also draw sketches if required. They incorporate the use of software like CAD in order to design layouts and create animation effects. They try to present the content in the most effective way possible. While doing so, they closely monitor the demands and tastes of the consumers.||INR 9,00,000|
What is the PhD Design Future Scope
The recent trends regarding the future scope of PhD Design degree programs forecast a good career prospect. The points given below discuss the future scope of the program.
- Over the past years, a PhD in Design has become immensely popular among students. More and more students are pursuing this course. The course allows students to pursue a career in design. Students learn to visualize concepts and explain them to others.
- In recent years, the Design sector has witnessed a sudden boom. People are becoming more and more concerned about the aesthetic aspect of their lives. This forecasts an increasing scope of the course in the near future.
- A career in the design sector is lucrative. Hence it is attracting more and more students towards itself. The designer usually specializes as interior designers, fashion designers, graphic designers, textile designers, etc. With more and more specializations coming up, the course is expected to receive more and more enrollments in the coming future.
- The course offers vast and diverse career opportunities. PhD Design professionals usually work in the capacities of a Costume Designer, Fabric Designer, Technical Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Interior Designer Executive, Interior Designer, Assistant Manager, Accounts Executive, Architect, etc.
PhD Design FAQs
Some of the frequently asked questions related to PhD in Design have been answered below.
Ques. What skills one must possess in order to pursue a PhD in Design?
Ans. Creative skills, ability to innovate, Critical thinking, analytical skills, good communication skills, decision making, and good presentation skills are some of the relevant skills which one is expected to possess in order to pursue a PhD in Design.
Ques. I want to become a fashion designer. Is PhD Design the right course for me?
Ans. Yes, definitely. PhD in Design is an advanced level course. The course will teach you the very intricacies of the design process. You will be required to perform extensive research about any topic of your choice. This, in turn, will contribute to the knowledge you already possess about the subject
Ques. Is it compulsory for PhD scholars to submit a thesis at the end of their research work?
Ans. Yes, all the PhD scholars are required to prepare and submit a thesis at the end of their research work. It is a document that includes personal research work.
Ques. Are the entrance exams for admission into PhD programs being postponed due to COVID19?
Ans. Yes, most of the entrance exams have been postponed due to the ongoing pandemic. The new dates and other updates of the exams can be found by visiting their respective official websites.
Ques. Is NET exam mandatory in order to be a Design lecturer in any reputed college or university?
Ans. Yes, As per the UGC guidelines, one must have qualified the NET exam in order to be eligible for the post of a lecturer or assistant professor in any reputed college or university.
Ques. Is pursuing a PhD in Design worth all the efforts?
Ans. Yes. As per the recent trends PhD in Design is being opted by more and more students. Even the job opportunities in the design sector are expected to increase by many folds in the coming time.