Ph.D. in Legal Studies is a three years full-time doctorate programme within the field of Law. The eligibility criteria of the program are qualifying Master’s degree or M.Phil in Law or Legal Studies with a minimum of 55% aggregate in the discipline passed from a recognized university.
PhD in Legal Studies involves research and a tutorial approach to Law study. A PhD in Law is not to be confused with a Juris Doctor, which is a professional degree preparing students to practice.
A wide range of research areas is out there for a PhD Legal Studies program, including law of nations, comparative law, human rights law, admiralty law, international environmental law and many more. Through coursework, teaching, and research, candidates for a PhD academic degree will complete a dissertation to be awarded the degree.
See More: Top Law Colleges in India
Selection of the candidates for admission in Ph.D. is done on the basis of Merit. Aspirants are alleged to have passed the many state or national level examinations held by different universities and government bodies which can be followed by the Group Discussion/ Personal interview by respective colleges.
They are also alleged to submit a thesis proposal before attending the interview sessions. Ph.D. in Legal Studies program helps students for understanding of legal doctrines so as to organize candidates in pursuing their legal career competently.
See More: Ph.D Courses
|Course Duration||3 to 5 years|
|Examination Type||Semesters exam|
|Admission Eligibility||Candidates qualified in post graduation degree or M.Phil in Law in similar stream with the aggregates of 55% from recognised board university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance and Merit based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2.5 to 12 lakh per Annum|
|Top Recruiting companies||Government and private organization, Legal departments, Research and development departments, Businesses, Lawyers.|
|Job Positions||Lawyers, Solicitor, Jurist, Researchers etc.|
Do I qualify for a Ph.D in Legal Studies eligibility Criteria?
Candidates shall have postgraduate degree in the Law from recognized university or the candidates securing marks not less than 50% or its equivalent. Candidates who appear in final year exam are also eligible to apply but before completion of admission procedure the original mark sheet of qualifying examination is available with candidates to fulfil the eligibility criteria.
- Candidates have qualified Master’s degree or M.Phil in legal studies or law in the relevant field with a minimum aggregate of 55% from a recognized board university.
- Candidates should pass the entrance examinations that are conducted by various institutions and universities.
- Some reputed colleges will conduct the group discussion and personal interview sessions at the time of admission.
- Candidates should have a minimum experience of Five years as a professional skilled in the field of administration/ teaching/ industry/ professional in senior level.
What is the Ph.D in Legal Studies Admission Process
- Candidates who are willing to get admission in this stream can apply to Ph.D in Legal Studies colleges by both offline and online means.
- You can either reach the official website of the institute or to this step admission office of the institute to fill the admission application form.
- Fill the application form required and upload all the necessary documents which are asked in the form.
- After completion of the process of application, go for counselling round and attend the personal interview round to get your desired college.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
- Some of the most important exams conducted in this regard include AILET – All India Law Entrance Test, JMI Law Entrance Exam, CLAT – Common Law Admission Test, NET – National Eligibility Test, DET – Doctorate Entrance Test, PET – Ph.D. Entrance Test, etc.
- Applicants will apply for the program either offline or online by visiting the official web site of the individual faculties. All the necessary data bearing on the date for admission, entrance take a look at and different such are going to be notified through email or listed on the official web site.
- The accumulative marks obtained within the qualifying communication, personal interview/ conference, and entrance take a look at is calculated to view the advantage shared by the individual school that is subject to disagreement for various faculties.
What are the top Ph.D in Legal Studies Entrance Exams?
Different entrances has different pattern of question like:
|Entrance Exam||Exam Dates||Conducting Body|
|ICMR JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS||July||The Indian Council of Medical Research New Delhi|
|NIPER Ph.D. Entrance Exam||June||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER)|
|CSIR-UGC NET exam||June and December||Council of Scientific & Industrial Research India|
|JRF-GATE||Feb||Council of Scientific & Industrial Research India|
What is the Ph.D in Legal Studies Syllabus?
A typical Ph.D in Legal Studies syllabus is written below –
The table shows some of the topics taught in the course throughout the 4 years of education.
|Semester - I|
|Human Rights Law||Judicial Process|
|International Business||Law and Courts|
|Public Law||Law and society in Historical perspective|
|Foundation of Business Law||Antitrust Policies|
|Civil Rights Law||Industrial Organization|
|Research Methodology||Project Work|
|Global Business Environments||-|
Important Books for Ph.D in Legal Studies Course?
Some of the important reference books are mentioned below:
|Name Of The Book||Author|
|Getting a Ph.D in Law||Caroline Morris, Cian C Murphy|
|Research methods in law||Dawn Watkins, Mandy Burton|
What are the Ph.D in Legal Studies Top Colleges
Many colleges are offering this course in India. Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed below –
|Name of The Institute||Location||Average Course Fee (in INR)|
- On the basis of popular opinion, GNLU Gandhinagar, SLS Pune, Jamia Millia Islamia are some of the best colleges for Ph.D with Legal Studies in India.
- The benefits of getting a doctorate degree in Law Studies is the deep and long-term research and this degree trains the candidates to develop their critical and systematic analytical aptitude into a highly valuable profession.
- Working toward a PhD in Law is a process that develops the candidate in other ways besides their specific understanding and knowledge of the subject they are researching. The completion of a PhD in Law degree program is a notable achievement and is valued very highly both inside and outside of academia.
- Those who hold a doctorate in Law find themselves highly qualified for positions as legal professionals, researchers, professors, policy-makers and many more. Graduates from PhD in Law programs have got leadership positions in high courts, international humanitarian government, organizations and commerce.
What after Ph.D in Legal Studies?
Students after the successful completion of a Ph.D. in Legal Studies program have a large opportunity to explore various areas of professional life. Candidates have a good scope to explore their knowledge, skills, training and apply the tools in areas like Law organizations, Businesses, Government and personal organization, Legal department, Research and Development, Colleges and Universities and other such. They can prefer to become Legal Practitioners, Legal Advisors, Consultants, Researcher, Jurist, caseworker , Lawyer, Solicitor and other such.
In order to advance further within the legal sector, many graduates prefer to continue their legal training beyond undergraduate level. The specific sort of legal training required varies counting on the country of study/legal practice, and also the sort of legal career aspired to. Often it involved a mixture of further study and examinations, also as a group period of practical legal training provided by completing formal work placements.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Lawyer||A Lawyer is a person who practices law and fights for the rights of people.||4 to 5 Lakhs|
|Researcher||Researchers are required in legal companies to find out new techniques.||8 to 10 Lakhs|
|Professor||Professors are required in Colleges and universities to teach pharmaceutical subjects to students.||8 to 9 Lakhs|
|Forensic Agent||Forensic agents are required in investigation agencies to detect the use of certain chemicals at any crime scene.||9 to 10 Lakhs|
What is the difference between Ph.D (Legal Studies ) vs Ph.D (Nanotechnology)?
All these degrees may sound similar. But these are different courses. Below is mentioned the comparison of all these courses:
PhD Legal Studies vs PhD Nanotechnology
See More: Top PhD Nanotechnology Colleges in India
|Parameters||Ph.D (Legal Studies )||Ph.D (Nanotechnology)|
|Brief Explanation||PhD in Legal Studies involves research and a tutorial approach to Law study||Nanotechnology provides the study of atomic and Nanoscale methodology and is a diverse field consisting of various concepts.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Candidates have qualified Master’s degree or M.Phil in legal studies or law in the relevant field with a minimum aggregate of 55% from a recognized board university.||A Masters’s degree in pharmacy, chemistry, biological science, chemical engineering, or related disciplines.|
|Top colleges||GNLU Gandhinagar, SLS Pune, Jamia Millia Islamia||Amrita Centre for Nanosciences, University of Rajasthan|
|Job roles||Legal Practitioners, Legal Advisors, Consultants, Researcher, Jurist, caseworker , Lawyer, Solicitor and other such.||Lecturer, Senior Research officer, Project Assistant|
|Average fees||INR 2 Lakhs- INR 12 Lakhs||INR 2 Lakhs – 6 Lakhs|
|Average salary||INR 3 Lakhs- 15 Lakhs||INR 4.5 Lakhs- INR 5.4 Lakhs|
Ph.D in Legal Studies FAQs
Ques. Is the entrance exam mandatory in Ph.D (Legal Studies )?
Ans. Yes, the Entrance Test is mandatory for admission in Ph.D (Legal Studies .
The candidate is also important.
Ques. Is Ph.D(Legal Studies ) a professional course?
Ans. Yes, Ph.D(Legal Studies ) a professional course. It teaches practical skills and training thus is called a professional course.
Ques. What is the better job or further studies after completing Ph.D (Legal Studies )?
Ans. It certainly depends on one's personal choice. Ph.D(Legal Studies ) offers various job profiles and also one can choose various postgraduate courses in the field of engineering.
Ques. Can I opt for an internship for Ph.D(Legal Studies )?
Ans. Unfortunately, there is less opportunity to land an internship easily at Ph.D (Legal Studies). As most of the internship is available in the research sector.
Ques. Which are top colleges has best placements in Ph.D ?
Ans. The top 5 best placement colleges are:
- National Law school of India university, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- National law university, Jodhpur
- Gujarat national Law university, Gandhinagar
- National Law institute University Bhopal
Ques. What are the job opportunities of Ph.D. in Legal studies?
Ans. There is many job opportunities for legal studies students like:
- Legal advisors
- Legal executives
- Oath Commissioners
Ques. What is the average fee for Ph.D. in Legal studies?
Ans. The average fee for Ph.D. in legal studies is vary from institutions to institution. The average fee range from INR 80,000 to 1,50,000.
Ques. Which are the popular entrance exams in India to qualify for Ph.D. in legal studies?
Ans. Various entrance exams accepted in India for Ph.D. course are NET/ JRF, CLAT, SLAT, AILET and various institutions entrance exams.
Ques. Is Ph.D. course is a full time program?
Ans. Yes, Ph.D. in legal studies is a full time course of 3 to 5 years.
Ques. What is the minimum qualification for Ph.D. in india?
Ans. The minimum qualification for Ph.D. in India is masters degree in relevant subject with an minimum aggregates of 55% or its equivalent. Candidates will also have sme necessary language skills of their course.
Ques. Which are the top law companies in India?
Ans. The top companies that hire law graduate students are:
- England and Wales
- Khaitan & CO
- AZB & Partners
- J Sagar Associates
- Luthra & Luthra Law Offices
- S&R Associates
- Economic Laws Practice
- Desai & Diwanji.