What is PhD Operation Management?
PhD Operation Management is a research-based doctoral course in Operation Management, which deals with the Management and control of operations and production processes in an organisation. It is one of the popular streams of Management, and provides lots of job opportunities in reputed MNCs, Corporate Houses and Manufacturing sector companies.
To be eligible for PhD Operation Management, a candidate must complete an MBA/PGPM or PGDM course in Operation Management with a minimum 55% aggregate score. Some colleges also see the work experience of candidates for admission to PhD Operation Management. Admission to this course is generally granted based on entrance exam scores, followed by a personal interview. Top colleges may also take a Writing Ability Test before final admission to PhD Operation Management.
The PhD Operation Management course is generally divided into two parts: coursework and a research program. The coursework of this course generally includes subjects like Research Methodology and Communication Skills. The minimum duration of the entire course is three years, though it can be extended upon 5 years duration, depending on the research. Many top Management colleges, including reputed IIMs and IITs, offer PhD Operation Management courses.
The top PhD Operation Management colleges, according to NIRF Ranking 2020, are listed in the table given below.
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|3||Indian Institute of Management||Kolkata||Entrance Based||INR 2,00,000||INR 27,90,000|
|11||Indian Institute of Technology||Bombay||Entrance Based||INR 25,800||INR 20,34,000|
|14||Indian Institute of Technology||Madras||Entrance Based||INR 11,200||INR 16,10,000|
|33||Indian Institute of Management||Kashipur||Entrance Based||INR 2,00,000||INR 13,82,000|
|50||Loyola Institute of Business Administration||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 2,00,000||INR 9,00,000|
Read more about Top PhD Operation Management Colleges The average annual fees for PhD Operation Management in India is around INR 1,50,000. The lowest annual fees lie around INR 10,000 while the highest annual fees may rise as high as INR 3,00,000.
After completing the PhD Operation Management course, the candidates will be able to work as Professors and lecturers in colleges and universities, or do jobs in reputed companies. Job Profiles generally offered to these candidates include Operations Manager, Operations Team Leader, Customer Services Manager, Service Delivery Manager, etc. The average annual salary offered to PhD Operation Management candidates is around INR 7,00,000 per annum. However, the salaries increase with experience and generally rise to INR 10,00,000 per annum.
After completing PhD Operation Management, a candidate can also do further research in this domain to obtain a Doctor of Management degree. They can also go for higher research in reputed foreign universities.
What is the PhD Operation Management Admission Process?
Most of the colleges grant admission to PhD Operation Management courses on the basis of entrance exam scores.
- Most colleges follow national level entrance exams like UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, etc.
- However, some colleges, including many IITs, conduct their own entrance exam for admission to PhD Operation Management courses.
- After qualifying the entrance exam, the candidates will have to go through additional tests and personal interviews for final selection.
How to apply for PhD Operation Management?
The general admission process for PhD Operation Management course is discussed below.
- Step 1: Application Process: The candidates will need to apply separately for both the colleges and entrance exams. The colleges generally release the forms online on their website.
- Step 2: Entrance Exams: Most of the PhD Operation Management entrance exams are conducted online. The admit cards are generally released 10 days prior to the exam.
- Step 3: Results, Cutoffs and Merit Lists: The entrance exam results will be released by the conducting body. Based on the results, the colleges will release cutoff marks and merit lists.
- Step 4: Personal Interview and Document Verification: The shortlisted candidates will be called for Personal Interview and Document Verification. After a personal interview, if the interview panel is impressed, then the candidates will have to submit their documents for document verification.
- Step 5: Enrollment: After the document verification, if the candidate is found eligible, he/she will be given admission to the course.
What is Eligibility Criteria for PhD Operation Management?
The candidates will have to clear certain eligibility criteria for admission to PhD Operation Management course. Though the exact criteria differs from college to college, the general eligibility criteria is discussed below.
- The candidates must complete their MBA or PGPM course in Operation Management. The candidates with a PGDM degree in Operation Management will also be accepted.
- The candidates must score minimum 55% aggregate marks or above at the Masters/ PG Diploma level to be eligible for PhD Operation Management.
- The candidates with relevant work and research experience will be highly preferred.
- The candidates with letters of recommendations will also have an advantage.
What are the top PhD Operation Management Entrance Exams?
There are both National level and Institute level entrance exams for admission to PhD Operation Management courses. Some of these entrance exams are discussed below.
- UGC-NET: National Eligibility Test is a national level entrance exam conducted by the National Testing Agency to select candidates for PhD courses, JRF and faculty positions in colleges and universities. It is generally conducted twice a year, once in December and the other in May-June.
- CSIR-UGC-NET: This is also a national level entrance exam conducted by NTA. The main purpose of this exam is to shortlist candidates for Junior Research Fellowships and lectureship in reputed science and technology colleges in India. This exam is conducted twice a year.
- RMAT: Research Management Aptitude Test is conducted by All India Management Association for admission to PhD courses in Management.
- X-RAT: Xavier Research Aptitude Test is a national level entrance exam conducted by XIMB for admission to Research-based MPhil and PhD courses in XIMB and XLRI. But, it is accepted in many other colleges as well.
Some of the important dates related to these entrance exams are discussed below.
How to Prepare for PhD Operation Management Entrance Exams?
The Entrance Exams for PhD Operation Management courses generally contain questions which would test Writing Ability, Verbal and Comprehensive Ability, General Aptitude and Quantitative Reasoning of the candidates. Some of the important tips that will help you prepare effectively for the exam are discussed below.
- Try to complete the entire syllabus of the entrance exam at least 1 month before the exam date. This will help you get ample time for revision.
- Be thorough with the syllabus and important topics to cover so that no topic is left out.
- Practice as many sample papers as you can. Try to solve them within a stipulated time period in the exam environment.
- After solving the sample papers, check your scores and note them down. This will help you in tracking your daily progress and recognising the areas for improvement.
- For performing better in the general knowledge section, read newspapers daily.
How to get Admission in top PhD Operation Management colleges?
The candidates may follow the given points to get admission in a good PhD Operation Management college:
- The candidates must score as much as they can in the entrance exams, so that they can qualify the cutoff.
- The candidates should look to attempt at least 80-90% of the total question paper during the entrance exam. This will help them score better.
- Fill the application form carefully, so that it does not have any errors. Errors in application may lead to cancellation of the candidature.
- Prepare well for the Personal Interview round. Be aware of the type of questions asked during the interview.
- Also, prepare for the written tests if required. Try to improve your writing and make it more professional.
- You should present yourself properly during the personal interview. Work on your body language and communication skills.
PhD Operation Management: What is it About?
PhD Operation Management is a research based doctoral course which deals with one of the most popular domains of Management - Operation Management.
- The course involves researching on anyone of the major areas of Operation Management and submitting the thesis at the end of the course.
- Some of the most popular research areas included in this course are Managerial Principles, Operation Management Skills, Resource Management, Managerial Economics, etc.
- The course is generally divided into two parts, coursework and a research program.
- The coursework will set the foundation required by the students to complete their research properly. It generally consists of Research Methodology and Communication Skills.
- After the completion of the research and thesis, the students will also have to go through viva voce based on their thesis.
- The course will prepare the candidates to properly manage the operations of any organisation and take up challenging tasks as operations manager in future.
PhD Operation Management Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the PhD Operation Management course are tabulated in the table given below.
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Operation Management|
|Eligibility||MBA/PGPM or PGDM in Operation Management with minimum 55% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam Based|
|Average Annual Course Fee||INR 10,000 - 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 7,00,000 - 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges and Universities, MNCs, Corporate Houses and Manufacturing sector companies.|
|Job Positions||Operations Manager, Operations Team Leader, Customer Services Manager, Service Delivery Manager, etc.|
Why Study PhD Operation Management?
As Operation Management degrees have huge demand in the job market, completing a PhD in Operation Management has multiple advantages, some of which are discussed below.
- High Salary: Candidates completing PhD in Operation Management are generally offered higher salary than their MBA counterparts. The average annual starting salary ranges between INR 7,00,000 - 10,00,000.
- Opportunities to Work in top MNCs: Operation Management candidates are hired by the top MNCs on a regular basis. So, the candidates will get lots of job opportunities in these top rated companies.
- High Demand in the Job Market: As Operation Management is a very important aspect of the overall management of an industry, the demand for PhD Operation Management candidates will always be high in the job market.
- Opportunities of working abroad: These candidates may also get opportunities for working abroad in top foreign MNCs.
- Opportunities of starting your career at a higher position in an organisation: PhD Operation Management candidates are generally offered higher managerial positions in an organisation, though it will also depend on the skills of the candidates.
- Opportunities to become a Management Researcher: After completing PhD Operation Management, a candidate can also become an independent management researcher and publish his/her research papers.
Course Comparison: PhD Operation Management vs PhD Business Management
While Operation Management deals with only the operations part of an organisation, businesses management deals with business strategy to grow an organisation. Major differences between PhD Operation Management and PhD Business Management are tabulated below.
|Parameters||PhD Operation Management||PhD Business Management|
|Full Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Operation Management||Doctor of Philosophy in Business Management|
|Overview||PhD Operation Management, deals with the management and control of operations and production processes in an organisation. Most popular subjects included in this course are Managerial Principles, Operation Management Skills, Resource Management, Managerial Economics, etc.||PhD Business Management deals with the overall management and control of the entire business of an organisation. Most popular subjects included in this course are Finance Management, Human Resource Management, Information Systems Management, Organisational Theory and Behaviour, etc.|
|Duration||3-5 years||3-5 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Eligibility Criteria||MBA/PGPM or PGDM in Operation Management with minimum 55% aggregate marks||MBA/PGPM or PGDM in Business Management with minimum 55% aggregate marks|
|Top Colleges||IIM Kolkata, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIM Kashipur, etc.||IIT Delhi, NMIMS, Christ University, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 - 3,00,000||INR 5,000 - 5,00,000|
|Job Positions||Operations Manager, Operations Team Leader, Customer Services Manager, Service Delivery Manager, etc.||Business Development Manager, Business Associate, Brand Development Manager, Data Analyst, etc.|
|Recruiting Areas||Colleges and Universities, MNCs, Corporate Houses and Manufacturing sector companies.||MNCs, Finance Sector Companies, IT Sector Companies, Corporate Houses, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 7,00,000 - 10,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 8,00,000|
PhD Operation Management Top Colleges
The top PhD Operation Management colleges according to NIRF Ranking 2020 are listed in the table given below.
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|3||Indian Institute of Management||Kolkata||INR 2,00,000||INR 27,90,000|
|11||Indian Institute of Technology||Bombay||INR 25,800||INR 20,34,000|
|14||Indian Institute of Technology||Madras||INR 11,200||INR 16,10,000|
|33||Indian Institute of Management||Kashipur||INR 2,00,000||INR 13,82,000|
|50||Loyola Institute of Business Administration||Chennai||INR 2,00,000||INR 9,00,000|
|53||IFMR Graduate School of Business||Shri City||INR 2,00,000||INR 8,70,000|
|NA||Gitam Institute of Management||Visakhapatnam||INR 73,200||INR 3,50,000|
|NA||Sharda University||Greater Noida||INR 50,000||INR 4,50,000|
|NA||Jaypee Business School||Noida||INR 50,000||INR 4,00,000|
PhD Operation Management College Comparison
The top IIM, IIT and top Private College offering PhD Operation Management are compared in the table given below on the basis of Average Fees, Average Salary, Top Recruiters, etc.
|Parameters||IIM Kashipur||IIT Bombay||IFMR Graduate School of Business|
|Overview||Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur is a top ranked public management college in India. It is one of the top Management colleges according to NIRF Ranking Survey 2020. It mainly offers PGPM and PhD level courses in multiple disciplines of management studies including Operation Management.||Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay is one of the best Technology colleges which has been consistently ranked in top 5 Engineering Colleges in our country through the years. It is also one of the top 15 Management colleges in the country. It mainly offers BTech, MTech, MSc, MBA, PhD degrees in Engineering, Management and Basic Science domains.||IFMR Graduate School of Business is a private Business School under the sheds of Krea University. It is located within the Sri City Campus of the University. It offers various full time, part time and executive MBA courses along with PhD courses in several domains of Management.|
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||33||11||53|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by personal interview||Entrance exam or written test followed by personal interview||Entrance test followed by personal interview|
|Eligibility Criteria||MBA/PGPM or PGDM in Operation Management with minimum 55% aggregate marks||MBA/PGPM or PGDM in Operation Management with minimum 55% aggregate marks||MBA/PGPM or PGDM in Operation Management with minimum 55% aggregate marks|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,00,000||INR 25,800||INR 2,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 13,82,000||INR 20,34,000||INR 8,70,000|
|Top Recruiters||Reliance Jio, Byju's, Aditya Birla Group, Tata Motors, HDFC Bank, etc.||Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Qualcomm, Amazon, Adobe, etc.||Accenture, Deloitte, Genpact, Aviva Life Insurance, HCL Technologies, etc.|
PhD Operation Management Syllabus
PhD Operation Management consists of a course work followed by a research program on any one of the major areas of Operation Management.
- The coursework generally consists of Research related subjects like Research Methodology, Thesis Writing, Research Theories, etc.
- The coursework may also include subjects like Survey Techniques, Data Analysis, Communication Skills, etc.
After completing the coursework, the candidates will have to research on any one of the topics given below.
|Operation Management Principles||This subject deals with all the major Operation Management Principles and theories, and their detailed analysis. The candidates will have to understand these principles and give their insights on the same.|
|Resource Management||Resource Management is a very important aspect of management which deals with distribution, utilisation and overall management of the net resources of an organisation.|
|Management of Human Resources||Management of Human Resources involves principles and methods that should be used to handle the workers working with a manager. It involves researching new theories to maximise the productivity of workers.|
|Managerial Economics||This subject deals with the study of economic aspects of an organisation. This is a very important and complicated subject involving a lot of mathematical and statistical analysis.|
|Business Development Theories||Business Development Theories include basic and advanced theories and case studies for developing the overall business of an organisation.|
|Production Management||Production Management deals with all the aspects included in the better production of the company. It also involves researching ways for maximising production in limited expenditure.|
|ICT in Management||ICT or Information Communication Technology is used for various tasks in Management. This subject deals with ICT in Management in detail.|
PhD Operation Management Jobs
After completing the PhD Operation Management course, the candidates will be able to work as Professors and lecturers in colleges and universities, or do jobs in reputed MNCs, Corporate Houses and Manufacturing sector companies. The major job profiles along with salary trends for these candidates are tabulated below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Operations Manager||Operations Manager is responsible for managing all the operations of an organisation. The manager sometimes also manages the production process and manufacturing activities of the organisation.||INR 7,61,000|
|Operations Team Leader||Operations team lead guides and look after the teams involved in Operation Management. They are also responsible for coordinating the Operation Management activities to the higher authorities.||INR 5,16,000|
|Senior Operations Manager||Senior operations manager is responsible for looking after the various operations teams along with the junior operations managers under him.||INR 10,00,000|
|Assistant Customer Service Manager||Assistant Customer Services Manager looks after the services provided to the customers of an organisation. They are also responsible for maintaining the quality of the services provided.||INR 5,59,000|
|Service Delivery Manager||Service delivery manager ensures that proper and quality services are reaching the customers of the organisation in the proper time.||INR 10,00,000|
|Assistant Operations Manager||Assistant Operations Manager assists in the job of operations managers for managing the functioning of an organisation.||INR 5,47,000|
|Production Manager||Production Manager is responsible for managing the production activities of the manufacturing industry and maintaining the proper input-output flow.||INR 8,50,000|
|Retail Store Manager||Retail store manager manages all the operations of a retail store and ensures the growth of footfall and net profit of the store.||INR 4,57,000|
PhD Operation Management Future Scope
After completing PhD Operation Management, the candidates can do a job or go for further research. The various future scope options are discussed below.
- The candidates can do further research in the chosen area. After doing further research in this area, a candidate can go for a Doctor of Management degree.
- The candidates can also become independent researchers and publish their own insights and research papers in the field of Operation Management.
- They can also start their own organisation or start up a company.
- The candidates can join as Professors and Lecturers in various management colleges and universities.
- The candidates can also join top universities abroad to study further in this topic.
PhD Operation Management FAQs
Ques. Which colleges in India offer PhD Operation Management in distance mode?
Ques. What is the Admission Process followed by IITs for admission to PhD Operation Management course?
Ques. Can a candidate with a PGDM degree get admission to a PhD Operation Management course?
Ques. What is the general length of the coursework for PhD Operation Management?
Ques. Is there any demand for PhD Operation Management candidates in the job market?
Ques. What is the highest salary that I can expect after completing PhD Operations Management?
Ques. Is it necessary to do a PhD Operation Management after completing MBA Operation Management?
Ques. What is the average annual fees for a PhD course in IIMs?