What is PhD Sankskrit?
PhD Sanskrit is a minimum 3 year doctorate course dedicated to the research level learning of Sanskrit language and literature, both verbal and written. The course is designed in a way that brushes up the lingual skills and develops skilful understanding of the Sanskrit language in depth. Colleges hire faculties and make departments especially for language specialisation to inculcate this course in the curriculum.
The admissions to PhD in Sanskrit are done on the merit based and on the basis of central or university level entrance examination followed by the personal interview for final selection. Applicants have to pass either the university based examination or UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) examination.
The average fees for the entire course vary from INR 1000 to INR 2,00,000. The course aims to cater the knowledge about lingual skills of the Sanskrit language with all the technicalities and verbal or written mastery.
Some of the top Indian colleges offering PhD Sanskrit are:th>
|College Name||City/ Location||Admission Procedure||Average Fees per annum||Average Placement Offer|
|Banaras Hindu university||Varanasi||Entrance Test||INR 3,420||INR 2,00,000 - 4,00,000|
|Allahabad university||Allahabad||Entrance Test||INR 1,000||INR 2,00,000 - 5,00,000|
|Assam university||Assam||Entrance Test||INR 56,000||INR 2,00,000 - 4,00,000|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Sanskrit vishwavidyalaya||Bhopal||Entrance Test||INR 50,000||INR 3,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|Banasthali university||Rajasthan||Entrance Test||INR 15,500||INR 4,00,000 - 5,00,000|
The course is available in regular mode. This lingual course unlocks various future prospects for Sanskrit expertise and jobs. The average initial package after completing this course is around INR 3,00,000 - 10,00,000.
Ample of job prospects are available after the successful completion of PhD in Sanskrit. Teaching, Literature, Translation, Print media, Tourism, TV channel, embassies among many others recruits students with PhD in Sanskrit degree. The salary package extension is given with the enhanced working experience.
See more Top Colleges offering PhD Sanskrit
What is the Admission Process for PhD Sanskrit?
Each university offering a PhD Sanskrit follows a set of systems for admissions of students.
- The admission is done on the basis of merit or entrance examination and interview of each student.
- Some of the universities allow the students to appear in Entrance examinations like GATE/NET/SET/M.Phil/ JRF examination to register for the admissions. However, some universities conduct their own entrance examination.
- Some of the universities grant admission to students based on their performance at post-graduation level. Thereafter, a counselling procedure takes place with interview and group discussion to test the aptitude and communication skills of the candidate.
How to apply for PhD Sanskrit?
The universities start a portal in the month of September/October for the registration of the students.
- The potential candidate needs to submit the registration form along with the required documents.
- Following documents need to affix with the registration form: Migration Certificate, Passing certificate/ Degree certificate, Age proof, No objection Certificate.
- Candidates are required to appear in the entrance examination, either one held by the college or centralized examination like NET/RET in order to check the subject matter knowledge.
What is the Eligibility for PhD Sanskrit?
Below are some of the eligibility criteria to be fulfilled PhD Sanskrit admission:
- The candidate should have completed 10+2 from a recognized board.
- Applicant should hold a postgraduate degree in Sanskrit language, either Masters of Arts in Sanskrit or MPhil Sanskrit
- Students who have completed the courses or are in their final year examinations are eligible to apply for the PhD Sanskrit admission process.
- Applicants should appear in a central level entrance examination or should have a valid score in university level examination.
- Practical or work experiences are also considered for the admission in various universities.
|PH.D. (SANSKRIT) IN UTTAR PRADESH||PH.D. (SANSKRIT) IN BIHAR||PH.D. (SANSKRIT) IN GUJARAT||M.PHIL/PH.D IN ARTS IN DELHI-NCR|
What are Top PhD Sanskrit Entrance Exams?
There are various entrance examinations for admissions in this course. Some of the institutes organise an entrance exam of the college itself and some offer admission based on the graduation marks.
- GATE: GATE is a National Level Exam which is conducted every year online for admissions in masters and doctorate. It is considered as a valid score by some private universities for admission to Ph.D. Sanskrit.
- CSIR-NET: The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research National Entrance Test (CSIR-NET) conducts examinations for Junior Research Fellowship or Lectureship and Assistant Professors. Colleges also admit students on the basis of NET score for PhD Sanskrit.
Some of the university level entrances exams for admissions in PhD Sanskrit are given below:
|Examinations||Conducting Body||Exam Mode||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|GATE 2021||IIT||Offline||Sept 11 - Oct 8, 2020||Feb 8 -14, 2021|
|CSIR-NET||NTA||Offline||Aug 22 - Sept 10, 2020||Nov 19, Nov 22, Nov 26, 2020|
How to prepare for PhD Sanskrit entrance exams?
Following points one should keep in mind while preparing for entrance test:
- Research: Go through your entrance exam syllabus thoroughly and follow a time table to complete the full syllabus on time.
- Strong command on subject matter: You should have some background or knowledge in respective subjects and strong command on the grammar and literature subjects of Sanskrit.
- Practice: Practice previous year question papers to keep a check on exam patterns.
- Revision: Study and revise the graduation syllabus thoroughly.
- Enhance vocabulary and grammar: The applicant should be proficient in Sanskrit vocabulary and grammar.
How to get Admission in Top PhD Sanskrit colleges?
For getting admission in a good college for PhD Sanskrit, following points needs to be considered:
- Do proper research about various colleges in the area and filter out the best as per the preference.
- Connect with alumni on social media to get a better knowledge about the fee structure and placement pattern.
- Visit the college site and follow the admission procedure regularly.
- Be fluent in the respective language by gaining appropriate subject matter knowledge.
- Make a strong command on both oral and written lingual skills with strong vocabulary and grammar.
- Prepare for entrance examinations well.
- Build a strong command on communication skills for PI round.
PhD Sanskrit: What is it about?
PhD Sanskrit can be described in the following points:
- PhD in Sanskrit is an academic course which acquires relevance in various linguistic field and organizations
- The important topics covered in the Ph.D. in Sanskrit course include Sanskrit Literature (Ideas and Images), Nostalgia (History and Definition), literatures like Vedic culture and literature, Vedanga literature, Puraana literature, etc. They also study some epics like Mahabharata, Ramayana in Sanskrit language.
- The course covers all the aspects of Sanskrit letters, punctuations, words, sentence formation, vocabulary, grammar, script, writing and verbal technicalities of the Sanskrit language.
- With this program, students can brush up their knowledge about how and where to use Sanskrit with utmost lingual skills.
- Candidates with a postgraduate degree can apply for this course in various government and private institutes.
- After this course, students work as Translator, Lecturer, Sanskrit content writer, Assistant Professor, Sanskrit coordinator, etc.
PhD Sanskrit Course Highlights
|Full Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Sanskrit|
|Duration||Minimum 3 years|
|Examination Type||Semester Examinations|
|Eligibility||Post-graduation degree in Sanskrit|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination/Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 1,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Typing offices, Colleges and Universities, Coaching centres, Data entry offices|
|Top Recruiting Companies||FIITJEE limited, Urbanpro, Planet Spark, NCR Edu services private limited|
|Job Positions||Translator, Research Associate, Teacher, Interpreter, PRO, Writer, Language Specialist Novelist, Researcher, Editor|
Why study PhD Sanskrit?
PhD Sanskrit offers various perks for the students. Below are some points which make it worth choosing:
- PhD Sanskrit is an advanced level course. Students interested in learning the very intricacies of the Sanskrit language must pursue this course.
- The course imparts essential knowledge about the origin, philosophy, evolvement, literature and culture of the Sanskrit language. It is best suited for students who are keen on doing in-depth research about the Sanskrit language.
- The course inculcates several skills in an individual. Some of these are problem-solving, drawing conclusions, making logical recommendations, time management, etc.
- You can work in various private and public sectors including teaching, Literature field, Translation services, Print Media, Advertising Companies or agencies etc.
- Students pursuing this course get a close insight about the cultural, lingual and historic heritage of Sanskrit.
- The course curriculum offers more research based subjects and hence is interesting with a lot of practicality
Course Comparison: PhD Sanskrit vs PhD Hindi
PhD Sanskrit and PhD Hindi are similar degrees but with a different subject approach in both the courses, below is the table differentiating both on various aspects:
|Parameters||PhD Sanskrit||PhD Hindi|
|Qualification||Doctorate of Philosophy in Sanskrit||Doctorate of Philosophy in Hindi|
|Course Overview||It is learning of Sanskrit language and literature, both verbal and written that brushes up the lingual skills and develops skilful understanding of the Sanskrit language in depth.||It is designed in a way to analyse text and answer the literature problems with utmost intellect. One has to learn everything in the doctorate course, from literature to grammar, prose and even high level vocabulary.|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||Entrance examination + Personal Interview|
|Average Fee||INR 1,000 to 2,00,000||INR 1,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 10,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Colleges||Allahabad university, Banaras Hindu University, Banasthali university etc.||Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University, Gujarat University, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Assam University, etc.|
|Recruitment sectors||Typing offices, Colleges and Universities, Coaching centres, Data entry offices||Social Welfares Schemes, Educational Institutes, Government Offices, Data Entry Offices, Embassies, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Novelist, Translator, Lecturer, Researcher, Editor||Content Writer, Hindi Translator, Customer Support Officer, Subject Matter Expert, Teacher, etc. Researcher, Political Advisor, etc|
PhD Sanskrit: Top Colleges
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in India:
|Name of College||City||Average Annual Fee in INR||Average Salary|
|Delhi University, Delhi||Delhi||INR 10,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Banaras Hindu university||Varanasi||INR 3,420||INR 4,60,000|
|Allahabad university||Allahabad||INR 1,000||INR 3,80,000|
|Assam university||Assam||INR 56,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi vishwavidyalaya||Bhopal||INR 50,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Banasthali university||Rajasthan||INR 15,500||INR 3,00,000|
|Devi ahilya vishwavidyalaya||Indore||INR 37,500||INR 3,78,000|
|DR. B. R. Ambedkar university||Rajasthan||INR 1,700||INR 4,00,000|
|Guwahati university||Guwahati||INR 31,800||INR 3,80,000|
|GD Modi Arts college||Gujarat||INR 52,000||-|
|Gokul Das Hindu Girls college||Moradabad||INR 2,800||INR 6,00,000|
|Gulbarga university||Gulbarga||INR 62,000||INR 4,60,000|
|Himachal Pradesh university||Shimla||INR 2,700||INR 3,80,000|
|Jain university||Bangalore||INR 1,20,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Kurukshetra university||Kurukshetra||INR 36,100||INR 3,50,000|
|Magadh university||Bihar||INR 8,500||INR 3,00,000|
|Maharaja ganga singh university||Rajasthan||INR 90,000||INR 3,78,000|
|Maharaja’s college||Kochi||INR 28,900||INR 4,00,000|
|Maharishi dayanand university||Rohtak||INR 33,500||INR 3,80,000|
|Meerut college||Meerut||INR 8,700||INR 3,00,000|
|Pondicherry university||Pondicherry||INR 67,170||INR 3,78,000|
|Tripura university||Tripura||INR 10,000||-|
|University of madras||Chennai||INR 5,500||-|
PhD Sanskrit: College Comparison
Below is a detailed comparison of top colleges for PhD Sanskrit:
|College Name||Banaras Hindu University||Delhi University|
|Overview||BHU is one of the oldest universities situated in Varanasi with ample courses to offer.||Delhi University is one of the most popular state university under which there are many other colleges offering various language courses, diploma, UG and PG courses|
|Average Annual Tuition Fees||INR 6,800||INR 2,300|
|Admission||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 2,00,000 - 4,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - 3,00,000|
PhD Sanskrit Syllabus
PhD Sanskrit is an extensive course work with research and in depth knowledge inculcation in a student. Hence below are the courses which are taught in the course:
|Year I||Year II||YEAR III|
|Fundamentals of research||Language learning||Vedic culture and literature|
|Research techniques and methodology||Development of Sanskrit language||Vedanga literature|
|Documentation||Documentation skill||Puraana literature|
|-||-||Sanskrit sahitya ka itihas|
PhD Sanskrit: Job Profiles
After pursuing PhD Sanskrit, one has a lot of career options to choose from. The jobs prospects in this field revolve around linguistic use of Sanskrit language. The job involves teaching, writing, translating or using Sanskrit at various platforms.
Being an ancient course, the demand for this course is lucratively high with career options like private tutors, consecutive interpreters, general interpreters, liaison interpreters etc.
After PhD Sanskrit, one can also go into the academic field being a research fellow or professor for Sanskrit language.
Below are some job positions which are bagged by a person pursuing PhD Sanskrit:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Novelist||Novelists are responsible for finding new ideas to write about and turn them into a new story. They must demonstrate a great amount of dedication and creativity. They must spend time thinking of new ideas and figuring out a way to write them. They should be proficient in punctuation, grammar, and misspelled words. After developing content, they should proofread and edit grammatical issues and other related errors.||INR 5,00,000|
|Translator||Translators are responsible for reading original content and rewriting it in a target language. They use specialist dictionaries, reference books, and thesauruses to find equivalent and closest terminology used. They provide clients with well-expressed final versions of translated content, grammatically correct, as a word processor document.||INR 4,02,000|
|Lecturer||Lecturers are responsible for lecture planning, research and preparation. They also interview course applicants, invigilating examinations, reading academic journals, and managing research budgets. They may write research papers, proposals, and other presentations. They will check and assess student’s work and supervise them.||INR 3,10,000|
|Researcher||Researchers supervise research projects from the planning stages of project completion. They will communicate with other professionals and verify all the project's goals, variables, research methods, and other research parameters. They often research to monitor the activities of research teams. They review gathered research and analyze various sets of data.||INR 6,59,000|
|Editor||Editors are responsible to edit the content to improve readability. They plan the texts of publications according to the publication style, publishing requirements, and editorial policies. They allocate print space for some illustrations, photos, according to some parameters using layout principles.||INR 3,59,000|
PhD Sanskrit: Future Scope
PhD in Sanskrit is a popular course with a lot of market value. The person with a PhD in Sanskrit can choose from a lot of options for future prospects and career options. Some of them are:-
- Over the past years, a PhD Sanskrit has become immensely popular among students. More and more students are pursuing this course. The course comes with various jobs and career growth opportunities.
- The course has an ever-increasing scope. Some of the job positions available to such professionals are historians, archaeologists, translators, Voice-over Script, Interpreter, Content Editor - Journalism, Letter translator, Instructor – Sanskrit Language, Bilingual Call Centre Customer Service Representative, etc.
- Teaching is one of the most common job areas accepted by many such professionals. After pursuing this course, one becomes eligible for the positions of lecturer and assistant professor in colleges or universities.
- Media and mass communication is another thriving job area for PhD Sanskrit professionals. These professionals can work as newsreaders, writers, and reporters which are quite demanding to make a good career option. The salaries for these positions are based on their performance.
PhD Sanskrit FAQs
Ques. What is the perk of completing PhD Sanskrit?
Ques. What is the demand of students after completing PhD Sanskrit?
Ques. How can one gain more expertise for Sanskrit language in India?
Ques. Which is better: PhD in Sanskrit or MPhil Sanskrit?
Ques. Can I start at a higher level of the language if I already have some knowledge?
Ques. What is the fee of PhD Sanskrit?
Ques. Can I go for PhD Sanskrit without having done MPhil in it?
Ques. How tough is the PhD Sanskrit course?
Ques. Is it compulsory to pass NET exam for being a Sanskrit lecturer in any college or university?
Ques. Does Banaras Hindu University offer PhD Sanskrit?