What is PhD Science?
PhD Science is a 3 to 5 years doctorate level course, which students from MSc or MTech background can pursue. It involves researching any one of the Science specialisations like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc. The student will have to submit the research thesis at the end of the course to earn the PhD Science degree.
The minimum eligibility required for admission to PhD Science course is a minimum 55% marks at postgraduate level. The students are sometimes admitted directly after graduation but they must have exceptional academic and research history.
The admission process to PhD Science courses is based on the entrance exam followed by the interview (in written if necessary) conducted in a month before a semester. This admission process is followed by many colleges or universities. Some of the entrance exams are UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, GATE, etc.
The annual fees of this course ranges between INR 1,500 – INR 1,00,000. It depends on the destination where colleges or universities are. It also varies as private or government, college or university.
Some of the top PhD Science colleges are listed in the table below.
|NIRF Ranking 2021||Name of the Institute||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|6||Loyola College, Chennai||Entrance test followed by an interview||INR 6,000||INR 4,50,000|
|7||St Xavier College, Kolkata||Merit Based||INR 23,000 - 38,000||INR 9,50,000|
|17||Madras Christian College, Chennai||TANCET entrance exam||INR 36,000||INR 2,31,000|
|42||Fergusson College, Pune||Entrance exam||INR 52,000||INR 2,50,000|
|64||Stella Maris College, Chennai||Entrance exam||INR 85,000||INR 6,00,000|
The average salary package ranges between INR 6,00,000 to INR 20,00,000. The salary may vary depending on the skills of the candidates.
The job profiles for PhD Science include Product Manager, Management Consulting, Medical Communication Specialist, Health Care Information Technology Specialist, Operations Research Analyst, Business Development Manager, etc.
The top recruiting companies who hire PhD Science candidates are Apple, IBM, Atkins, GSK, Google, Black rock, BP, Barclays, etc.
After completing PhD Science, candidates can become university Professors, they can work in the field of Business, Law, Writing, Research, etc.
What is the Admission Process for PhD Science?
- Colleges or universities follow entrance exams like UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, GATE etc for admission to PhD Science courses.
- Students have to register on the official website of the institutes and the exam conducting body.
- The dates of examination will be notified through the website, email. Students have to clear the exam by obtaining the minimum required marks to be eligible for admission.
- After examination, a cutoff list will be provided on the college website.
- After that, colleges will be allotted to the students.
- The selected students will have to appear for a personal interview round in the respective colleges.
- The student who will be found eligible will be granted admission to the course.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for PhD Science?
- Students must qualify post graduation with a minimum 55% aggregate marks. But, some reputed colleges demand for 60% aggregate marks.
- There should be no backlog in any subject.
- The candidates must clear the entrance exam followed by an interview conducted by colleges or universities.
- Students from MSc, MTech and other related streams are eligible for PhD Science courses.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for PhD Science?
Most of the colleges and universities follow entrance exams for admission to PhD Science courses. Some important entrance exams are discussed below.
- UGC NET: UGC NET is conducted for selecting Assistant Professor and/or Junior Research Fellowship award in Indian universities and colleges. It is available in 84 subjects at 91 selected cities s.It is conducted online and consists of two papers of 100 marks each mainly in Hindi and English.
- UGC CSIR NET: This Entrance Exam is conducted by NTA. It is a Computer Based Test mode only. Only bonafide Indian citizens are eligible for the test. Online applications are invited twice a year on an all India basis through Press Notification.
- GATE: The exam mainly tests the thorough understanding of Engineering and Science of various undergraduate subjects. The validity of the score is 3 years. It is held once a year in February. GATE paper consists of MCQ and numerically based questions. MCQ will have negative marking.
Below a few National level entrance exams are listed with their details of application dates, conducting body, exam date, and so on.
|Exam Name||Conducted By||Application Date||Exam Date||Exam Type|
|UGC NET||UGC||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be Announced||Online|
|CSIR UGC NET||UGC CSIR||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be Announced||Online|
|GATE||IISc & IITs||September 14-30, 2020||February 5- 7 and 12-14, 2021||Online|
How to Prepare for PhD Science Entrance Exams?
- Keep a strong hold on subjects like Logical Reasoning, English, General Awareness. These are the subjects which will help you to crack the entrance exam successfully.
- You should know about the exam pattern and syllabus, so that you can learn how to solve questions and sections in a given period of time.
- You should make new and different strategies to solve fast.
- You should work smarter rather than harder, and follow the syllabus strictly.
- Invest time in yourself. You should know about your strength and weakness, so that you can work on your weakness.
- You should ask questions to clear doubt. So that you can solve all the questions by yourself after properly understanding the topic.
- Read newspapers on a daily basis. It will strengthen your general knowledge and verbal and written English.
Check the latest Exam Pattern of UGC NET exam.
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Science College?
- Apply on time to the best colleges and prepare for their entrance exam conducted by the college according to the eligibility.
- Do research about colleges and take counseling from experts for your stream and college for better choice.
- You should choose college according to the fees, location, size of campus, recruiting companies, average salary package, faculties, etc.
- Score well in graduation and post graduation, as it will be an important eligibility criteria.
- Attempt and score more that 90% in entrance exams to get admission to top colleges.
- Practice well for personal interviews and personality development to improve yourself.
PhD Science: What is it About?
- PhD Science is a research based course. The students perform experiments, and through observation, questioning, modeling, investigating, students try to discover some new concepts and include them in their thesis.
- One of the principal purposes of a PhD Science course is to prepare students to conduct research about the learning and teaching of Science within different scientific disciplines.
- Subjects taught in this course physics, chemistry, biology, computer Science, life Sciences, etc. These subjects are taught with complete research. covered topics can be geophysics, material Science, etc.
- The students have to undergo a coursework at the beginning of the course. This coursework will include all the important theories and principles of the chosen subject.
- After completing the coursework, the students will have to perform individual research and draft a thesis which will be submitted at the end of the course.
PhD Science Course Highlights
The major highlights of the PhD Science course are tabulated in the table below.
|Full-form||Doctor of philosophy in Science|
|Duration||3 to 5 years|
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||Post graduation with minimum 55% marks.|
|Admission process||Entrance Exam followed by Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 6,00,000 - INR 20,00,000|
|Top Recruiting places||KPMG, Google, Apple, IBM, CITI bank, BP, Black rock, Aecom, AMEC, Atkins, EDF Energy, NHS, GSK, Barclays, etc.|
|Job Position||Product manager, management consulting, quantitative analyst, competitive analyst, operations research analyst, medical Science liaison, etc.|
Why Should You Study PhD Science?
- PhD Science Students acquire three vital skills through this course: unique thinking, problem solving and correct decision making.
- In Science, any experiment has a high chance of failure. So, these students learn to accept failure and don't get afraid of it.
- Students studying PhD Science get the opportunity to create new and modified information and contribute to the knowledge of the scientific world.
- PhD Science candidates have multiple job opportunities in almost every sector of employment including colleges and universities, Research labs, government organisations, and many more.
- Because of the research work, these candidates get a lot of travel opportunities to different places.
- A PhD Science candidate can even go abroad for further research, studies and jobs.
- The average salary for PhD Science candidates is good and ranges between INR 6,00,000 to INR 20,00,000.
PhD Science vs DSc
A student can only judge a subject on some parameters. A good subject or course is which has a better scale than others.
Here is a comparison of PhD Science and DSc to choose a better option for your future.
|Overview||PhD Science includes complete study of every aspect of all the Science Specialisations. Some of the important Specialisations include Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, etc.||It is also a research based course but it is generally taken after completing PhD Science course. It can also include various Specialisations like Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, etc.|
|Duration||3-5 years||3-5 years|
|Eligibility||Master degree with minimum 55% marks.||PhD or Master Degree with minimum 55% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by interview||Entrance exam followed by interview|
|Top Colleges||IIT Kanpur, Christ University, St Xavier College, etc.||BHU, Mumbai University, Savitribai Phule Pune University, etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 1,500 - INR 3,00,000||INR 2,50,000|
|Job Roles||Product Manager, Management Consulting, Quantitative Analyst, Competitive Analyst, Operations Research Analyst, Medical Scientist, etc.||Professors, Researcher, Research and Development Manager, Senior Scientist, Scientific Authors, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 6,00,000 - INR 15,00,000||INR 8,00,000 - 15,00,000|
Source: College Websites
What are Some of the Major Specialisations under PhD Science?
There are many subjects under PhD Science in which you can become a perfectionist.
PhD Physics: PhD Physics deals with all the physical laws and principles and their implementation in the real world. The course aims to discover the logic behind every natural phenomenon and discover new dimensions of the physical world.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,50,000 - INR 15,00,000|
PhD Chemistry: PhD Chemistry course deals with all the important Chemical Reactions, Reaction Mechanisms, Thermodynamic Processes involved in chemical reactions, etc.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 - INR 3,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 - INR 12,00,000|
PhD Anatomy: PhD Anatomy is a 3 year doctorate level program with the eligibility of 55% marks in post graduation including one year internship. This course deals with the organization set up of living organisms.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,00,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 - INR 20,00,000|
PhD Anthropology: PhD Anthropology is a 2-6 year course at doctorate level. The eligibility is a Master's degree in any BioScience stream. It is about the contribution of Social reformers thinkers to Indian culture and society. field work will be held under professor.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 7,000 - INR 1,30,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 10,25,000 - INR 20,00,000|
PhD Food and Nutrition: PhD Food and Nutrition is a 2 year course at doctorate level. The eligibility of the course is Master's degree in Food and Nutrition from a recognized college. It mainly teaches the students about Food, Nourishment, Diet, Nutrition, Ingredients, etc.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 - INR 4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,50,000 - INR 12,00,000|
- PhD Computer Science: PhD Computer Science is a 3 year course for the post graduation students, It is a doctorate level program. The Eligibility of the course is 55% marks in post graduation. This course teaches you about Computer Architecture, Data Structure, Web Development, Software Development, etc.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 - INR 2,75,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6,00,000 - INR 15,00,000|
Which are the Top Colleges for PhD Science?
Top colleges of PhD Science will give you the best average annual fee and salary. Here are the Top 10 colleges for your reference along with their location, average fee and salary per annum.
|NIRF Ranking 2021||Name of the Institute||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|6||Loyola College||Chennai||INR 6,000||INR 4,50,000|
|7||St Xavier College||Kolkata||INR 23,000 - 38,000||INR 9,50,000|
|17||Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 36,000||INR 2,31,000|
|42||Fergusson College||Pune||INR 52,000||INR 2,50,000|
|55||Sacred Heart College||Ernakulam||INR 6,970||INR 4,20,000|
|64||Stella Maris College||Chennai||INR 85,000||INR 6,00,000|
|90||St Xavier's College||Mumbai||INR 6,045||INR 2,50,000|
|NP||Mount Carmel College||Bangalore||INR 42,000||INR 2,95,000|
|NP||Christ University||Bangalore||INR 35,000||INR 6,85,000|
|NP||Jai Hind College||Mumbai||INR 23,235||INR 4,00,000|
Source: College Websites
College Comparison for PhD Science
College or university is only one which you have to decide carefully, because your future activities and course depends on it. You can compare it on the parameters like overview, duration of course, eligibility, admission process, average fees, salary, job profile, recruiting companies, etc.
Here given below are 3 top colleges which you can compare:
|Parameters||IIT Kanpur||Christ University||Loyola College|
|Overview||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur or IIT Kanpur was established in 1959. It offers various UG, PG, Integrated and Research courses in Engineering, Science, Management, and Design. IIT Kanpur offers B.Tech, B.S under UG domain and M.Tech, M.Sc, MS (by Research), M.Des, MBA, Integrated PhD programs under PG domain.||Founded in 1969, Christ University has several campuses across the country which offer quality education in the field of Science, Arts, Commerce, Law, Management, Computer Science, and Mass Communication.||Established in 1952, Loyola College is an autonomous institution situated in the city of Chennai, India. Affiliated to the University of Madras, Loyola College ranks among the top five institutions in India for the degree programs in the area of commerce, arts, natural Sciences and social Sciences provided by the college.|
|The WEEK 2019 Rank||4||16||2|
|Average Fees||INR 57,750||INR 35,000||INR 6,000|
|Average Placement Salary||INR 15,80,000||INR 6,85,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Facebook, Fliplart, DELL, CISCO, ITC, Google, Microsoft, TCS, Vodafone, myntra, etc.||CITI Bank, SBI, TCS, KPMG,IBM, Amazon, WIPRO, etc.||IBS, Amazon, GENMEDIC, etc.|
Source: College Websites
What are the Subjects Taught in PhD Science Syllabus?
PhD Science comprises many specialisations like Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, etc. The syllabus covered in this course will depend on the specialisation chosen.
In the below given table, we have given the syllabus of PhD Science with specialisation in Computer Science.
|Semester II||Semester II|
|Computer Architecture||Computer System Design|
|Component Object Model (COM) & Interfaces in COM||Multiprocessor Architecture|
|Distributed COM||Vector and Array Processor|
|CORBA, JAVA, and Object Web||Pipeline Architecture|
|Advanced Computer Algorithms||Advance Software Engineering|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Back Tracking, Branch and Bound||Web Engineering and Software Quality Metrics|
|Advanced Database Management Systems||Wireless Network and Communication|
|Parallel and Distributed Databases, Web Databases||Frequencies for Radio Transmission|
|Data Warehousing||Telecommunications Systems, Satellite Systems, Broadcast Systems|
|Data Mining||Wireless LAN|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Advanced Transaction Processing||Medium Access Control|
|XML Primer, XLS, JSP, ASP||Distributed File System|
|Building Web Agreement||Transactions and Concurrency Control, Replication|
|Distributed Objects and Remote Invocation||Distributed Systems|
Important Books for PhD Science
Below given are some famous books with their Authors which every PhD Science should choose for them to study. You can gain fully theoretical knowledge from these books.
|265 Troubleshooting Strategies for Writing Non Fiction||Barbara Fine Clouse|
What are the Job Profiles Available after PhD Science?
PhD Science holds a wide range of career and job opportunities. PhD Science can make their career bright in the following job roles.
|Job Profiles||Role||Average Annual Salary|
|Product Manager||It is crucial to the success of an organization as they oversee the development and performance of software products of the organization.||INR 14,40,000|
|Operations Research Analyst||Understand the problem, perform some data analysis , develop mathematical algorithms to solve it.||INR 3,74,500|
|Medical Scientist||Responsible for providing a variety of external and internal customers with medical value.||INR 9,63,200|
|Management Consulting||Helping clients to obtain advice that leads to practical and lasting solutions to real business.||INR 11,51,000|
What are the Future Scopes After Completing PhD Science?
- After Completing PhD Science, a candidate can become a University Professor, or they can work in the field of business, law, writing, research, etc.
- They can continue their research work and then publish their individual research papers.
- They can work as a quantitative analyst, product manager, operation research analyst, business development manager etc.
- Companies like BP, CITI bank, EDF Energy, AMEC, Google, Facebook, Amazon, GSK, IBM, KPMG etc. hire candidates from PhD Science.
PhD Science FAQs
Ques. What can be the job options to opt for a PhD Science candidate?
Ans. There are many options you can opt apart from this as university professor, data scientist, data analyst, full stack developer, block chain developer, big data engineer, database administrator etc.
Ques. What are the courses under the bracket of PhD Science ?
Ans. The courses under the bracket of PhD Science are research PhD Anatomy, PhD Applied Mathematics, PhD Biotechnology etc.
Ques. How do I get a PhD in Science ?
Ans. PhD Science is a 2-4 year full time program. It is a doctorate level course. Students interested in pursuing a PhD Science need to have an undergraduate degree in Science and master's level studies focusing primarily on natural Science. Many programs will require applicants to have high grades as well.
Ques. Which country is best for PhD Science?
Ans. Israel is considered the best country for PhD Science to make a future.
Ques. Is a PhD Science worth it?
Ans. PhD worth the investment especially in laws, biomedical Sciences, and finance.
Ques. Which field is best for PhD Science?
Ans. They can make their career in these fields:
- Chemical engineering
- Computer Science
- Pharmacy and healthcare
Ques. What can you do with a PhD in Chemistry?
Ans. PhD in chemistry career:
- Postsecondary chemistry teachers
- Environment scientist and specialists
- Chemical engineer
- Natural Sciences manager
- Chemists and material scientists
Ques. Which is a higher MD or PHD?
Ans. MD and PhD both are higher degrees. MD stands for doctor of medicine, and PhD stands for doctor of philosophy. MD is a higher degree in medicine whereas a PhD can be obtained in any field as arts, Science, commerce.
Ques. Can PhD. in Science graduate in 4 years?
Ans. Yes, Some colleges and universities have 4 year course. If you choose PhD in biology then you may complete it in 5-7 years.
Ques. Why should I choose PhD Science ?
Ans. PhD Science helps you to solve problems. After completing the course, it will help in creating fresh knowledge, discovering new things, etc. this course is worth the cost and time investment.
Ques. What skills do we require to become a better PhD of Science ?
Ans. Skills you require to become a better PhD of Science are:- Ability to be a creative thinker , learning new experiments, discovering new things, etc.
Ques. When will the registration process start in India?
Ans. Due to Covid -19 pandemic, registration has been postponed. After lockdown, further information will be notified for registration processes.