PhD Veterinary Parasitology is a three-year doctoral program in veterinary studies. The candidates who have an interest in the research and study of parasites based on their samples and chemical composition should opt for this course.
Read About: PhD Courses
To be qualified for PhD Veterinary Parasitology admissions, aspirants must have completed their bachelor’s degree in veterinary science and master’s degree in the concerned discipline with aggregate marks of 60% and above. PhD Veterinary Parasitology course fees may range from INR 35,000 to INR 4.31 Lakhs.
PhD Veterinary Parasitology admission is also granted through the entrance exam. The selected candidates are invited to attend a group discussion/interview. The merit percentage is prepared based on qualifying marks, marks of the entrance exam, and interviews.
Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Birsa Agricultural University, Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology and Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University are some top PhD colleges in India that offer PhD Veterinary Parasitology.
Checkout: Top PhD Colleges in India
After PhD Veterinary Parasitology, candidates have lucrative career opportunities. The candidates can go for the research and teach in the reputed colleges and institutes. The candidates holding PhD degrees get a salary ranging anywhere from 3 lakhs to 12 Lakhs.
It raises with the experience. The top recruiting companies are research sectors, hospitals, and animal welfare NGOs. Doctorates in veterinary parasitology get designated as parasitologist, virologist, researcher, and professor, etc.
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: Course Highlights
|Eligibility||Bachelor and master’s degree in Veterinary Science with aggregate marks of 60% marks and above|
|Admission process||Entrance Examination Followed by Direct Interview.|
|Course Fee||INR 35,000 to 431,000|
|Average salary||INR 300,000 to 12,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Parasitology, Veterinary Hospitals, Research Sectors, Animal Welfare NGOs, etc.|
|Job Positions||Virologist, Researcher, Parasitologist, Professoretc.|
PhD in Veterinary Parasitology: Admission Process
The candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria can apply for the entrance exams conducted by some colleges.
The colleges/institutes inviting applications for the doctorate program provide admission to this program based on marks of academic, written test, and interview performances of the candidates.
- The universities/colleges conduct an offline written test which is followed by an interview.
- The conducting universities/colleges set a minimum percentage to get enrolled into the program.
- The candidates seeking admission to PhD in veterinary parasitology are required to appear for an entrance exam.
- The selected candidates go for the next rounds of the selection process which are group discussion and direct interview.
Note: The candidates are required to achieve minimum marks in the written test however, the minimum marks may vary from institute to institute. The aspirants are advised to go through the entrance exam notifications before attempting it.
How to Apply for Phd in Veterinary Parasitology?
- The candidates seeking admission are required to visit the official website of the college/institute.
- Fill in online the academic details of graduation, and postgraduation such as marks, personal details, and other required details.
- The candidates are required to upload the required documents.
Read More: PhD Admission 2021
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: Eligibility Criteria
- The candidates must have completed their graduation in veterinary science and master's degree in the concerned discipline.
- The candidates need to have completed their master’s degree with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks (55% marks in case of SC/ST).
Note: The minimum percentage marks may vary from institute to institute. Other eligibility criteria may also differ.
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: Entrance Exams
The list of entrance examinations to get admission to the PhD program are as follows:
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute PhD Entrance Exam
- Karnataka Veterinary Animal and Fisheries Sciences University (KVAFSU) PhD Entrance Examination
- The West Bengal University of Animal and Fisheries Sciences (WBUAFS) PhD Entrance Examination
|Exam name||Conducting body||Exam mode||Exam date|
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute PhD Entrance Exam||IVRI||Offline||June 2021|
|Karnataka Veterinary Animal and Fisheries Sciences University (KVAFSU) PhD Entrance Examination||KVAFSU||Offline||First week of October 2021|
|The West Bengal University of Animal and Fisheries Sciences (WBUAFS) PhD Entrance Examination||WBUAFS||Offline||To be announced|
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: What is it about?
- PhD in veterinary parasitology is a doctoral program that prepares the candidates to pursue in-depth research in all aspects of related fields.
- The course prepares the pursuing candidates to gain in-depth knowledge of parasite experiment.
- The research studies deal with the study of bacteria and viruses which cause animal diseases.
- The research program in veterinary parasitology enables the students to cure the animal’s diseases arising due to parasites.
- The curriculum is designed to prepare the aspirants with the knowledge both in the aspects of theoretical and practical operations of the study.
Why Study PhD Veterinary Parasitology?
Through this comprehensive program of study, students gain proficiency in treating veterinary diseases and get trained with the knowledge of infectious diseases attacking animals and pets, disease ecology, and conservation of veterinary and public health in general. Students also gain skills to improve their communication skills, evaluation, and analytical skills.
- PhD in Veterinary Parasitology imparts the required skills and tools to research comprehensively.
- Doctorates have lucrative opportunities in the areas of Research, Veterinary Consultancy firms, Veterinary Hospitals, Research Labs. They can also take up the job of professor in reputed universities and colleges.
- The course aims at bringing about scientific practices in the field of parasitology with newer ways of dealing with diseases.
PhD in Veterinary Parasitology: Top Colleges
|Name of Institution||Location||Average Course Fee|
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI)||Uttar Pradesh||INR 18,399|
|Birsa Agricultural University||Jharkhand||INR 10,000|
|Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology||Uttarakhand||INR 2,81,000|
|Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University||Andhra Pradesh||INR 86,080|
|West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences||West Bengal||INR 9,400|
|College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences||Rajasthan||INR 15,740|
|Karnataka Veterinary Animal and Fisheries Sciences University||Karnataka||INR 4,31,000|
|The Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences||Rajasthan||INR 35,100|
|Rajendra Agricultural University||Bihar||INR 25,130|
|Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology||Jammu and Kashmir||INR 60,000|
How to Get Admission in a good PhD Veterinary Parasitology College?
It is essential to get admission in a good PhD in Veterinary Parasitology College. The following are some key points the aspirants should follow before admission to a good college.
- Admission to the PhD in veterinary parasitology is provided through the entrance examination. You should try to get a good score on the test to ease the process of getting admission to a good college.
- Before jumping up to selecting a college for a PhD in veterinary parasitology, make sure that the college has sufficient infrastructure and facility to provide you with ultimate knowledge.
- The college/ Institute should have sufficient qualified faculty members and teaching staff to assist you in your PhD course.
- An ideal college providing a PhD in veterinary parasitology must have a strong Placement Cell to promise the students by offering good opportunities after finishing the course.
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: Course Comparison
|Parameter||PhD Veterinary Parasitology||PhD Animal Science|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Purpose||Veterinary parasitology is an animal niche degree dealing with the study of parasites causing diseases in animals.||In an animal science degree, the study is focused on different animals and knowing their species. It deals in the|
|Eligibility||Having a Master’s Degree in any discipline from a recognised institution||Having a Master’s Degree in any discipline from a recognised institution|
|Admission Process||Merit based or Entrance test||Merit based or Entrance test|
|Annual Course Fee||INR 35,000 to 431,000||INR 25,000- INR 2,40,000|
|Job Positions||Parasitologist, Researchers, Medical Parasitologists, Pharmacologist, etc.||Animal Nutritionist, Research Associate, Veterinarian, Research Scientist, and Junior Research Scientist.|
PhD in Veterinary Parasitology: Syllabus
Candidates are imparted with the knowledge of understanding the relationship between parasites and animal health, ways to diagnose illness in animals, and methods to cure them.
Students are also given an overview of how these parasites are indirectly related to human health and how they can affect the lives of people.
The overall syllabus followed by most of the universities and colleges covered throughout the program is tabulated as shown below:
|Subjects Of Study||Cultivation Of Parasites Using In Vitro Techniques|
|Research Methodology||Diagnosis And Vaccine Development In Parasitology|
|Techniques Used In Parasitology||Seminar/Project|
|Human Health And Parasitology||-|
Note: The Syllabus of the program is subject to vary for different colleges across the country.
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: Recommended Books
|Name of The Book||Author|
|Essentials of Veterinary Parasitology||Hany M Elsheikha, Naveed Ahmed Khan|
|Parasitology for Veterinarians||Jay R. Georgi, Marion E. Georgi|
|Diagnostic Parasitology for Veterinary Technicians||Charles M. Hendrix DVM, Ed Robinson|
|Veterinary Parasitology||Patricia Marques|
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: Job Profiles
PhD in Veterinary Parasitology qualifies the students to conduct research work in the field of study, which has a link to the health of humans and that of animals. Candidates are well versed with the different kinds of parasites that affect animal health and can perform the required remedy to cure the ailments.
Some of the job options can be chosen by the graduates after the completion of the course. These are shown below with annual salaries:
Some of the most common job profiles that a degree holder in earthquake engineering can opt for are mentioned in the table below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Annual Average Salary|
|Parasitologist||His work includes conducting research work on the parasites, viruses, bacteria that occur in the body of insects and plants, and come up with remedies and solutions.||INR 5 to 6 Lakhs|
|Professors/ Lecturers||His work includes professing the students with the skills and study of the topic to make them proficient in their field.||INR 6 to 12 Lakhs|
|Researcher||His work includes collecting data, analyzing, the organization of information and formulating reports.||INR 5 to 7 Lakhs|
|Veterinarian||His work includes studying the health of animals, diagnosing ailments, treating and conducting research.||INR 6 to 7 Lakhs|
|Virologist||His work includes studying the different kinds of viruses and agents, their taxonomy, disease-producing properties, and genetics.||INR 3 to 7 Lakhs|
|Wildlife Parasitologist||His work includes the study of wildlife and diseases caused by them.||INR 5 to 6 Lakhs|
|Medical Parasitology||His work includes the study of the relation between Medicine and human health, analyzing and evaluation of remedies.||INR 5 to 6 Lakhs|
PhD in Veterinary Parasitology: Future Scope
- Candidates after studying this course, can provide solutions in the vaccine, anthelmintic resistance, and so on. Doctorates have employment opportunities in areas such as Research Veterinary hospitals, Parasitology, and Animal Welfare NGOs.
- They get designated as Parasitologist, Researchers, Medical Parasitologists, Pharmacologist, etc.
PhD Veterinary Parasitology: FAQs
Ques. What is the average college fees of veterinary parasitology in India?
Ques. How can the pursuing candidates complete their thesis work?
Ques. What are the main activities involved with the course?
In teaching, the students study various animals and birds' diseases.
In research activities, the students study three sub-domains of research. These are a vet. Helminthology, vet. Entomology, and vet. Protozoology.
In extension activity, various farmer fairs are organized at different places to make farmers aware of animal diseases and the parasites causing them.
Ques. What is the difference between veterinary microbiology and veterinary parasitology?
Parasitology is concerned with eukaryotic life-forms.
Ques. Are parasites harmful always?
Ques. What are the different areas of research in veterinary parasitology?
Ques. Is a PhD in veterinary parasitology a semester system?
Ques. Do colleges avail of scholarship programs?
Ques. What is virology research, and how is it different from veterinary parasitology?
Ques. What is the difference between a PhD in immunology and a PhD in veterinary parasitology?