Post Graduate Diploma in Finance is a 1-year full-time diploma course designed for working professionals aspiring for rapid career progression.
Eligibility for this PG Diploma in Finance course is a bachelor’s degree in Finance or an equivalent bachelor’s degree with 50% of marks from a recognized university. Some of the reputed institutes conduct entrance tests along with a personal interview for selecting candidates for PG Diploma in Finance course admission.
PG Diploma in Finance course covers critical learning such as international finance and merges, working capital management, and acquisition among others.
The average fee to pursue Post Graduate Diploma in Finance is INR 40,000 to INR 1,80,000. However, government institutes have less fee as compared to private institutes.
Post completing Post Graduate Diploma in Finance course students can work as Financial Analyst, Financial Planner, Financial Manager, Accountant, Portfolio Manager, etc.
They can work in areas related to Private and Foreign Banks, Content Marketing, Education, Stock Markets, Teaching, etc. The average salary package of such graduates ranges from INR 4 LPA to INR 6 LPA.
PG Diploma in Finance: Course Highlights
Below given is the course highlights of the PG Diploma in Finance Course for students to understand the course with much ease.
|Course Level||Postgraduate Diploma|
|Examination Type||Semester type|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or Entrance-based|
|Top recruiting organizations||Altisource, Inspiration Manpower Consultancy Private Limited, L&T, Amazon, Rivera Manpower Services, HP, Honeywell|
|Top recruiting areas||Private and Foreign Banks, Content Marketing, Education, Stock Markets, Teaching, Institutes|
|Top job profiles||Financial Analyst, Financial Planner, Financial Manager, Accountant, Portfolio Manager, CMA, CFA and many others.|
|Average Fee||INR 10,000 to 6 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 5 Lacs|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Admission Process
Admission to Post Graduate Diploma in Finance course is based on merit-based or entrance-based. Many Institutes select candidates through a merit list prepared by a university for this course admission.
Some of the reputed institutes conduct entrance examinations along with the (PI) personal interview round for selecting candidates for course admission. Entrance exams may vary from one institute to another on the basis of their rules and regulation. Few colleges directly admit students for this PG Diploma in Finance course admission. Some of the important points related to PG Diploma in Finance admission to this course are discussed below.
- Generally, there is no such process as a common entrance examination. However, different colleges may hold their entrance level examinations for admission.
- For availing admission to the course, students have to visit the official website of the college or visit the college’s campus for more information.
- If the candidate clears the cutoff, they will be called for a personal interview most times. Some colleges provide direct admission without a personal interview.
- Merit lists/cut-off are announced shortly after application forms are filled.
- In the case of entrance examinations, the students who clear the cutoff will be called in for personal interviews.
- If selected, the candidates can then go to the allotted college for submission.
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Eligibility Criteria
The candidates seeking admission to PG Diploma in Finance course must qualify certain minimum eligibility criteria, some of which are mentioned below.
- A candidate must have passed their Graduation from a recognised educational institution to deem eligible for the PG Diploma in Finance course.
- They also must have Mathematics as one of their compulsory subjects in their high school level qualifying examination to attain eligibility for the PG Diploma in Finance course.
- The percentage of marks required for admission can vary from one institute to institute.
Check Also: Post Graduate Diploma in Finance Cut-Offs
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: What is it about?
Below given is a detailed description of the PG Diploma course in bullets for students to understand the overview of the course with much ease.
- PG Diploma in Finance introduces candidates to financial management theories and financial decision tools.
- It is a 1-year course where students study to interpret financial statements, plan, and measure performance through budgets and different financial strategies, create financial decisions and manage financial risks.
- This course incorporates the subjects identified with financial matters with the relevance of the banking sector.
- It also enhances a candidate's knowledge and skills in other different fields of finance.
- PG Diploma in Finance is specialized to create a basic integrated perspective of the primary managerial functions and provide candidates with an establishment for pursuing managerial duties and further studies.
Why Study Post Graduate Diploma in Finance?
Below given is a course advantage of the PG Diploma in Finance course. These are the reasons why students should opt for this course.
- Diversified Career Options: PG Diploma Finance opens various career options in different fields and organizations. The student with this course can work in the private and government sector like accounting firms, private banks etc. Government jobs like policy planning, public accounting, and treasury and forex department can be bagged by the PG Diploma in finance students.
- Deals with accounting and financial aspect: The course of the PG Diploma in Finance curriculum is novel and deals with financial and accounting aspects.
- Interesting Subjects: The study of accounting and finance subjects with the essence of financial advancements makes the course interesting.
- Higher Studies: After pursuing PG Diploma in Finance course, students can also opt for higher studies to increase their knowledge and hence their chances of landing up in better jobs.
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees|
|India Institute of Finance||INR 3,40,000|
|Dibrugarh University||INR 97,630|
|Doon Business School||INR 72,000|
|EMPI Business School||INR 90,000|
|IFIM Business School||INR 5,50,000|
|Indian Institute of Pharmaceutical Marketing||INR 28,000|
|Indian Institute of Business and Finance||INR 35,800|
|Institute for Technology and Management||INR 1,55,250|
|M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Management||INR 3,00,000|
|MAEER’S MIT School of Business||INR 56,000|
|Skyline Business School||INR 5,44,000|
|Symbiosis International||INR 2,46,000|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: College Comparison
Below given is a college comparison of the top colleges offering a PG Diploma in Finance on the basis of a few parameters that would help the students to select the desired college with much ease and as per their convenience.
|Parameters||India Institute of Finance||Doon Business School|
|Overview||IIF was established in 1987 under the aegis of Jyoti Foundation which is a public charitable trust registered under the Trust Act. The institute was founded as a non-profit autonomous educational institution with the objective to promote research and education in finance and related fields.||DBS Dehradun was established in 2007 as a private Institution. It is approved by the AICTE, University Grants Commission (UGC) and affiliated to Uttarakhand Technical University, Dehradun.|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Fee||INR 3,40,000||INR 72,000|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro, HUL, Byjus, Gold plus, HDFC, TSC, Muthoot Finance, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Decathlon etc||Johnson & Johnson, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, GTM, Genpact, HDFC life, ICICI prudential, Kotak Life, Extramark, etc.|
|Average Salary Package||INR 6 LPA||INR 5.8 LPA|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Syllabus
Below given is a semester wise syllabus of the PG Diploma in Finance Course for the convenience of students. This syllabus may differ from various institutes to institutes.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Principles and Practices of Management||Capital Market|
|Management Accounting||Accounting Systems and Financial Analysis|
|Managerial Economics||Management of Bank|
|Indian Banking and Financial System||Security Analysis and Portfolio Management|
|Marketing of Banking Services||Bank Lending Policies and Procedures|
|Banking Regulations and Laws||Project and Infrastructure Financing|
|Capital Market||Macro Economics|
|Accounting Systems and Financial Analysis||Micro Framing|
|Management of Bank||Risk Management|
|Security Analysis and Portfolio Management||Rural and Co-operative Banking|
|Bank Lending Policies and Procedures||Project Report|
|Project and Infrastructure Financing||-|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Recommended Books
Below given are the important books that every student must have who is pursuing PG Diploma in Finance course.
|Introduction to Finance: Markets, Investments, and Financial Management||Edgar A. Norton and Ronald Melicher|
|Venture Capital and the Finance of Innovation||Andrew Metrick and Ayako Yasuda|
|Mastering Financial Modelling: A Practitioner's Guide to Applied Corporate Finance Alastair Day||Alastair Day|
|Financial Modelling in Practice: A Concise Guide for Intermediate and Advanced Level||Michael Rees|
|Financial Analysis and Modeling Using Excel and VBA||Chandan Sengupta|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between PG Diploma in Finance and PG Diploma in Accountancy on the basis of a few parameters that would help the students to select their desired subjects.
|Parameters||PG Diploma in Finance||PG Diploma in Accountancy|
|Course Type||Post Graduate Diploma||Post Graduate Diploma|
|Duration||1 Year||1 Year|
|Course Overview||PG Diploma in Finance studies about principles of financial and managing assets. It aims to study areas of some related topics in financial theory and decision-making of managerial finance.||PG Diploma in Accountancy is a professional education specializing in accounting topics such as bookkeeping and financial accounting. It deals with processes involved in the management of income and expenses related to a business.|
|Admission Type||Merit Bases/ Entrance Based||Merit Bases/ Entrance Based|
|Eligibility||Graduation with at least 50% aggregate||Graduation with at least 50% aggregate|
|Average Fees||INR 30,000 to INR 1,50,000||INR 30,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Top Job Profiles||Accountant, Finance Manager, Operations Manager, Account Executive, Financial Analyst, Executive Assistant, Chartered Accountant, and many more.||Financial Analyst, Financial Planner, Financial Manager, Accountant, Portfolio Manager, etc.|
|Average Salary Package||INR 4 LPA||INR 4 LPA|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Job Profiles
Professionals in the field of finance may work in areas like investment banks, accountancy firms, insurance companies, high street banks, management consultancies, building societies, and public sectors. These professionals also have opportunities in small and medium-sized organisations.
PG Diploma Finance graduates may work in roles offered by the top financial industries include accounting technician, business adviser, chartered accountant, chartered certified accountant, chartered management accountant, chartered public finance accountant, actuarial analyst, forensic accountant, stockbroker, company secretary, management consultant, retail banker, tax adviser, purchasing manager, data analyst, etc.
Below given are the various job roles along with their average salary package.
|Job Profiles||Description||Average Salary|
|Financial Analyst||Financial analysts are responsible for assessing and making decisions about customer credit applications using a range of criteria including the purpose of the application, payments, collections, credit viability, and that customer payment history and customer credit-worthiness.||INR 4 to 5 Lacs|
|Bank Manager||Bank managers are responsible for managing staff, selling bank services and products, understanding banking policies, mastering math and accounting, regulations, and procedures.||INR 6 to 7 Lacs|
|Accountant||Accountants are responsible for performing administrative duties such as maintaining schedules, and the production of forms.||INR 2 to 4 Lacs|
|Financial Manager||Financial managers are responsible for overseeing a company’s financial condition, preparing or reviewing financial reports, analyzing trends and advising the top management personnel on finances and profits.||INR 9 to 10 Lacs|
|Portfolio Manager||Portfolio managers are responsible for completing projects, managing research projects assigned by the committee, and actively participate as a member.||INR 10 to 11 Lacs|
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: Future Scope
- PG Diploma in Finance graduates who would like to continue their studies in Finance can further study a PhD in Finance and Accounts. In this course, they may completely learn all aspects of finance and gain knowledge and skills in Finance.
- After completing this PhD course, graduates may find jobs in reputed or government channels or companies with high salary packages.
Post Graduate Diploma in Finance: FAQs
Ques. What is a PG diploma in finance?
Ans. PG Diploma in Finance AKA Post Graduate Diploma in Finance is a two-semester Work Integrated Learning Programme designed for working professionals aspiring for rapid career progression in high-growth areas of Finance or the BFSI industry and who wish to stand out in highly competitive workplaces.
Ques. What is the qualification for a PG diploma in Finance?
Ans. The PG diploma is a postgraduate academic qualification taken after a bachelor's degree. Students seeking admission in this course must have completed a graduation degree with at least 50% aggregate.
Ques. Is a PG diploma degree equivalent to an MBA Degree?
Ans. No, PG is a Diploma course whereas MBA is a degree course, hence it cannot be claimed that PGDM and MBA are completely equivalent. However, in terms of core subjects and curriculum, MBA and PGDM are mostly similar.
Ques. Is a PG Diploma in Finance or MBA better?
Ans. MBA courses tend to be more theoretical, while a PGDM focuses on the technical aspects, providing exposure to real-life business situations. Also, a PG Diploma in Finance is very different from a one-year PG offered by many private institutes all across India. Another advantage of a PG Diploma in Finance is, as it is offered by autonomous institutes, the curriculum can be upgraded more frequently to include the new changes and trends in business management.
Ques. Does a PG Diploma in Finance have value?
Ans. Yes, Overall, a postgraduate diploma is perfect for those of you wanting a qualification that can enhance your career, with practical aspects as well as theoretical – or those wishing to expand their knowledge without the commitment to research of a masters degree.
Ques. Can I do a PhD after a PG diploma in Finance?
Ans. Yes, If your PG diploma is equivalent to a Masters course degree only then you will be eligible for a PhD program.