What is PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM)?
PGDMM or Post Graduate Diploma Marketing Management (PGDMM) is a course that mainly focuses on the betterment of a student in the marketing field. Marketing management is entirely focused on the practical application of marketing techniques and management of an organization’s resources and activities.
This course improvises a student’s abilities and helps to develop their skills. This course gives them a vast knowledge on how to be better marketing managers in the future and helps them to ace in this field. Students are acquainted with some marketing strategies and techniques. They are taught to work in a team and to adjust with changes or in any other circumstances.
PGDMM is a master degree programme which is for 2 years. Any student who has completed their higher secondary and their graduation is eligible to do this course. Students are required to give an entrance exam in order to get admission for this course in any institution. Some of these entrance exams are CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, SNAP, etc.
The average fee for this course in different colleges is between INR 4 to 20 Lacs. The subjects taught in this course are Economics, Finance, Human Resource Management, Information System, Marketing, operations management, strategy area and general management. Different elective subjects are offered under these subjects according to the interest of the students.
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|Fortune Institute of International Business (FIIB), New Delhi||Entrance Exam||INR 8.25 lacs|
|Indian Institute of Management (IIMC, Kolkata), Kolkata||Entrance Exam||INR 22.2 lacs|
|Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur||Entrance Exam||INR 23.6 Lacs|
|Management Development Institute (MDI, Gurgaon), Gurgaon||Entrance Exam||INR 23.58 Lacs|
Candidates are furnished with theoretical and practical training in order to improve their skills so that they do not face any difficulty while running the marketing branch of an organization. This course also includes the study of broad market research.
Some programs include the study of internet technologies, social networking, etc. which is used by an organization for marketing products and services. This course is for those students who need to increase their experience and involvement and to develop skill for working with other marketing managers.
See Also: PGDMM Colleges in India
Some of the most important things taught in this course are Market Research and Analysis, Selling, Pricing, Advertising, Product Designing, Presentation and Communication.
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management|
|Duration||2 year long|
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||INR 4 to 20 lacs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 9 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Exim, Al Futtaim Kaybee, Sony, KOJ Establishment, Ranbaxy Fine Chemicals India, SEA, Al Ghanim, Spencer’s Retail Ltd India, Avalon Consulting, RAK Bank, Strategic Foods, etc.|
|Job Positions||Associate Professor, Management Trainee, Zonal Business Manager, Consultant, Assistant Manager, Relationship Manager Marketing Communication Manager, Business Process Analyst, Sales Operations Associate, Demand Supply Advisor, etc.|
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for PG Diploma in Marketing Management are mentioned below:
- A student needs to complete their higher secondary and then their graduation or bachelor’s degree from a college.
- They need to have a minimum of 50% aggregate.
- Any SC/ST candidates can avail 5% relaxation on the admission cut-off.
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Admission Process
The admission process for the course of Post Graduate Diploma in marketing Management comes in three steps, which are as follows:
- The very first step to get admission for this course is to give an entrance exam which can be given on paper as well as online and after that the result of the entrance exam is out.
- On the basis of the result, students are called in for group discussion as well as personal interview. Some colleges even conduct an essay writing test before the group discussion and the personal interview.
- After the personal interview, a student is offered to take admission in that college, on the basis of their overall performance.
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Entrance Exams
An entrance exam is an important aspect of this Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management course. The admission in institutions is based on the result of the entrance exams. After the results of these entrance exams a student is called in for group discussion and personal interview. A student’s overall performance confirms whether he will get admission in an institution or not. The most common entrance exam for this course is CAT, and some others are GMAT, XAT, MAT.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date|
|CAT||August 4- September 18, 2020||November 29, 2020|
|GMAT||The whole year||After the registration, it is conducted as peer your selected date|
|XAT||August 23, 2020- November 30, 2020||January 5, 2021|
|MAT||May 18 to June 30, 2020||May 25 to July 05, 2020|
How to Prepare for the Entrance Exam?
A student can prepare for these entrance exams in two ways: firstly, by self-studying with right study material and secondly by joining a coaching institution. The following steps may help you in preparing for the exam:
- Check the syllabus for the entrance exam.
- Decide how you will prepare by self-study or coaching.
- Make a time table for studying and an exam time table and follow it strictly.
- Get the best books, study materials, etc.
- Take mock tests to check how prepared you are and to improve.
The question paper consists of three parts:
- Verbal ability and reading comprehension
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning
- Quantitative ability
How to Get Admission in a Good College?
Nowadays, it is really hard to get admission in a good college. But there are various ways in which you can get admission in a good college:
- In order to get admission in a good college for the course PGDM a candidate must brush up their skills Market Research and Analysis, Selling, Pricing, Advertising, Product Designing, Presentation, Communication.
- A candidate should have enough intelligence qualification and should be aware of general knowledge at the same time. They must have good grades.
- Candidates should be able to think critically and reason logically. They should at the same time be able to think creatively and have keen interest in the popular culture, media and technology revolving around the same.
- A candidate must meet all the eligibility criteria properly and be prepared for any circumstance.
- A candidate must not delay on the admission fees otherwise they may lose their allotted seat as we all know how much competition there is for these seats in engineering college.
- Key details of how to get admission and what all to keep in mind
- Essential details, other than the entrance exam, that should be considered while applying for the course.
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Syllabus
The syllabus of PGD in Marketing Management divided into semester are mentioned below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
The Important Books for PGDMM along with the name of the author are mentioned below:
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Management (Text and Cases)||V.S.P. Rao & V Hari Krishna|
|Business Communication Today||Bovee, Thill & Chaturvedi|
|Operations Management: Theory and Practices||Mahadevan|
|Organization Behavior||Stephen P. Robbins, Timothy A. Judge & Seema Sanghi|
|Production and Operations Management||E.E. Adam and R.J. Ebert|
|Essentials of Management: An International Perspective||Koontz & Weihrich|
|Contemporary Management||Gareth R. Jones & Jennifer M. George|
|Macroeconomics||R. Glenn Hubbard|
|Financial Accounting: A Managerial Emphasis||Ashok Banerjee|
|Human Resource Management||John Ivancevich|
|International Financial Management||Thummuluri Siddaiah|
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Top Colleges
The colleges that offer PGD in Marketing Management along with the admission process, fees and salary are mentioned below:
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|Fortune Institute of International Business (FIIB), New Delhi||Entrance Exam||INR 8.25 lacs||INR 19.43 Lacs per annum|
|Indian Institute of Management (IIMC, Kolkata), Kolkata||Entrance Exam||INR 22.2 lacs||INR 25.40 Lacs per annum|
|Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur||Entrance Exam||INR 23.6 Lacs||INR 30 Lacs per annum|
|Management Development Institute (MDI, Gurgaon), Gurgaon||Entrance Exam||INR 23.58 Lacs||INR 40.79 Lacs per annum|
|FMS, DU||Entrance Exam||INR 10,000||INR 20.20 Lacs per month|
|ICFAI Business School||Entrance Exam||INR 6,25,000||INR 18.78 Lacs Per Month|
|Christ University||Entrance Exam||INR 1,53,000||INR 47.20 Lacs per month|
|Department of Management Studies||Entrance Exam||INR 4,00,000||INR 17.86 Lacs per month|
|Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies||Entrance Exam||INR 7,85,000||INR 21.50 Lacs per month|
|Institute of Management Studies||Entrance Exam||INR 1,99,000||INR 32.50 Lacs per month|
Why Study PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM)?
The advantages of studying PGD in Marketing Management are mentioned below :
- Professional Growth: The course of PGDM focuses on theoretical concepts and practical learning based on the latest needs of the industry. This course helps in developing the managerial skills as well as industrial skills which prepares you for the better future for your career. Some colleges offer guest lecturing given by industry experts, CEOs, etc. which overall helps in the growth of the students.
- Choice of Specialization: students are usually shortlisted on the basis of their expertise in a field. While taking admission in an institution for this course, it is mandatory to choose a specialization by the candidates as per their interest. Therefore, this course expands the scope of your career, and it opens ups various career options increasing the chances of their employability.
- Increased Employability: Nowadays, an organization seeks good skills along with degrees. As this course is designed as independent of the theories and traditional books, the students get more room for developing their skills which eventually increases the possibility of employability.
- Industry-centric Course: As we know this course is based on the latest needs of the industry, it is more learner- oriented. This course does not solely teach theoretical concepts but also practical and useful approaches.
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Course Comparison
The comparison between PGDM vs MBA are mentioned in the table below:
|Syllabus||Formulated by the institutes individually and may differ from college to college||Formulated by the university and can be same in different colleges|
|Focus of the course||Focuses on technical aspects||Focuses on practical marketing skills|
|Expenses||INR||INR 7.5 to 20 lacs p.a.|
|Impact on your career||This course focuses solely on marketing and on aspects related to market||This course focuses on all market as well as business related aspects.|
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Scope
The students pursuing the course of Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management [PGDMM] can have various scope in the future. They can be assigned very respected jobs. Some of them are Marketing Manager, Area Sales Manager, Business Development Executive, Business Development Manager, Regional Sales Manager, Market Research Analyst, Brand Manager, Media Planning, etc.
Students who graduate by pursuing this course can find various opportunities in Public Sector Undertakings. Some students also give some government exams like UPSC and SSC. Usually people in marketing are responsible for creating very impactful strategies.
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) Jobs
A good course of Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management can help a student in getting a nice and respectable job in both public and private sector. This course has various career options. You can be an entrepreneur, a consultant or a freelancer as well. A good course will make sure you are skilled enough to get any job and valuable enough for any organization. A student can even appear for government exams like SSC and UPSC.
Job profiles with description
The job roles that are on offer after studying PGD in Marketing Management are mentioned below:
|Name of Job Profile||Description of what roles does the particular person has to play||Average salary in INR|
|Associate Professor||The academic discipline and teaching responsibilities are looked after by an Associate Professor. They are given this responsibility as suitable by them and the job is designed to help the needs of a department of college as well as to support them.||INR 5 to 6 lacs|
|Consultant||The job of a consultant is mainly to help an organization in terms of advice in order to increase the profitability, operations, management structure as well as strategies. Also they are in charge of expertise in the above stated fields.||INR 8 to 9 lacs|
|Marketing Manager||The job of a Marketing Manager is to manage the marketing department of an organization. They help in creating, developing and executing the marketing strategies in order to catch potential customers as well as to retain the existing ones and they also help in increasing profitability.||INR 6 to 7 lacs|
PGD in Marketing Management (PGDMM) FAQ
Ques: How many types of marketing are there?
Ans: There are four types of marketing. These include Cause Marketing, Relationship Marketing, Scarcity Marketing, and Undercover marketing.
Ques: What marketing is all about?
Ans: Marketing Management refers to the proper management of activities that relates to the marketing world. This means that you will organize, plan, direct, and control all the activities involved in the field of marketing.
Ques: Name the ten marketing activities?
Ans: Here are the ten marketing activities:
- Data Collections
- Content Management and creation
- Targeting users and retaining them.
- Activation programs
- Collection of reviews.
- Birthday wishes messages
- Sales emails
- PreSales emails
- PostSales emails.
Ques: Name the two main types of marketing.
Ans: Consumer Marketing and Business-To-Business Marketing are the two main types of marketing.
Ques: Name the 7-P formula of marketing?
Ans: Product, Price, Promotion, Place, Packaging, Positioning, and People are the seven Ps of marketing.
Ques: How much does it cost to take up distance learning course in Marketing Management?
Ans: 10,000 to 15,000 INR.
Ques: What’s the eligibility criteria to join this course?
Ans: 50 percent in your 10+2 board exam.
Ques: How much can you earn per annum if you take up this course?
Ans: You can earn up to 5 to 10 lacs per annum if you are taking up course?
Ques: What’s the duration of this course?
Ans: 2 years.
Ques: Name a few job profiles that I can apply after graduation.
Ans: Marketing Executive, Social Media Manager, Marketing Manager, Associate Professor, and Marketing Consultant are a few job profiles that you can apply for after completing the course.