Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation is a 2-year course of diploma level that deals with technical and practical aspects of direct and indirect taxes, Financial Accounting, and Auditing, income tax and related matters.
To be eligible for post graduate diploma in taxation a minimum of 45% in class 10th from any recognized board is required.
The admission process for this course varies from one college to another.
Majority of colleges prefer merit based admissions based on class 10+2 scores. Few other colleges offer admission based on entrance exams that are conducted on university level itself.
Some of the colleges that offer post graduate diploma in taxation in India are: Symbiosis Law School, Osmania University, Indian Law Society Law College, Pune, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Bharati Vidyapeeth, etc.
The average post graduate diploma in taxation course fees ranges between INR 5,000- 2,00,000.
The syllabus for post graduate diploma in taxation focuses on topics like direct tax, indirect tax, Corporate Tax, Central Sales Tax Value-added tax, Tax planning, accounting, Cost management, Testing concepts, etc.
Auditing and Taxation are two very renowned and popular career fields in the current time. You can get opportunities to work in different fields such as government and private organizations, business banking sector, colleges, universities, economic companies, etc.
Some of the top recruiters of Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation are Wipro Technologies Ltd., Tata Motors, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), Heavy Engineering Corporation Limited (HEC Ltd), National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC), etc. The average annual salary package ranges between INR 4,00,000 to INR 9,00,000.
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Course Highlights
|Name||Post-Graduate Diploma in taxation|
|Eligibility||Graduate in Law or commerce|
|Admission Process||Either through merit or exam|
|Examination scheme||Semester based examination|
|Course Fee||INR5,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 9,00,000|
|Top recruiters||TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES LIMITED, Genpact, Wipro Technologies Ltd., Tata Motors, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), Heavy Engineering Corporation Limited (HEC Ltd), National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC), WNS Global Services|
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Eligibility Criteria
Mentioned below are few criteria which are strictly followed for the selection.
- An aspiring student must hold a Bachelor of Commerce degree or a law degree; should have scored more than 45% in graduation.
- A few reputable colleges also consider entrance examination scores.
- Most universities accept a candidate with at least one year work experience in a related field.
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Admission Process
- The selection process varies from institute to institute. Few colleges go based on 10+2 performance. While other colleges go with entrance exams.
- Admission can be in both full-time mode and the corresponding mode depending upon the student’s requirement.
- Sikkim Manipal University, Symbiosis is one of the universities which provide distance learning courses to its students.
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: How to Apply?
- Check the official website for an application release date.
- Apply for it before the last day
- Check the official website to download the admit card.
- Prepare well for the exam.
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: What is it about?
- The PGD on Taxes is designed to provide a high level of learning about the various types of taxes and measures to deal with related problems. In this course, students are taught the basics of income tax, sales tax, service tax, VAT, GST, Central Excise, apart from various other ways to repay income tax.
- The PGD in the tax syllabus focuses on providing practical and technical information at all times.
- With PGD in Taxes, students learn to research tax documents, how one can solve complex tax problems, and complete analytical reviews about tax returns.
- They will also see the ethical issues associated with taxation and learn how to deal with these situations. In general, students pass a system to learn state and federal taxes, identify industry tax intricacies and will know how tax works concerning the national and global economy.
- The PGD for Tax Students can also learn about property tax and planning, financial reporting, property taxes, fixed compensation, and sales tax.
Why Study Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation?
- Tax collection is the way an administration or the burdening authority forces or demands an assessment on its residents and business elements.
- From annual assessment to products and ventures charge (GST), tax assessment applies to all levels, and in this course, we will figure out how to manage them productively.
- You can get freedoms to work in various fields like government and private associations, business banking areas, schools, colleges, financial organizations, and so on.
- It gives understudies the chance to acquire careful and current information on charge law ideas and practices, just as patterns of control in a climate that advances the improvement of scientific and relational abilities.
- After passing a Master's Degree course, they can go for instructing occupations and further examination studies to improve their instructive capability.
- They can likewise work freely as an advisor.
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Course Comparison
|Parameters||Master in Taxation||Post-graduation in Taxation|
|Overview||A Master’s degree is a graduate degree that shows that a candidate has achieved a certain level of mastery in a particular field.||A postgraduate certificate is awarded for completing an educational program in a specific field.|
|Duration||Two-year course||One-two year course|
|Course Fees||INR 5,000 - INR 5,00,000||INR 5,000- INR 5,00,000|
|Annual Salary Packages||INR 2,50,000-INR 10,50,000||INR 3,20,000-INR 10,00,000|
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Top Colleges
|Symbiosis Law School||INR 42,000|
|Osmania University||INR 50,000|
|Indian Law Society Law College||INR 16,790|
|Khalsa College||INR 52,000|
|Netaji Subhas Open University||INR 30,000|
|ASM Group of Institutes||INR1,35,000|
|Manipal University||INR 54,000|
|Chandigarh University||INR 1,59,00|
|Aligarh Muslim University||INR 16,700|
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: College Comparison
To help in deciding between colleges to take admission in, the top two Colleges that are Symbiosis Law School Vs Osmania University in the Postgraduate Diploma in taxation category have been compared below.
|Parameters||Symbiosis Law School||Osmania University|
|Duration||1 year||1 year|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree||Bachelor’s degree|
|Selection process||Merit-based or entrance exam||Required 40% to appear the test|
|Validation of score||Current year||Current year|
|Last date for the form||4th June||-|
|Application fee||INR 1,750(for each test)||-|
|Course Fees||INR 42,000||INR 50,000|
|Mode of applying||Online||Online|
|Late fee||INR 500||INR 500|
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: How to get Admission to a Good College?
To secure admission into a top-ranking college, several factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful for a student who wants to take admission to the best college for a Postgraduate diploma in taxation. Post-Graduation Diploma in taxation
- An aspirant can get their seat confirmed in the best college of Postgraduate Diploma in taxation if they had a sound academic record in their Class 12 and while doing your bachelor’s degree.
- It is also necessary to be mentally and physically prepared for the further admission process i.e. counseling and seat allotment rounds.
- Keep a track of all the important events related to the admission so that you will never miss any deadline.
- Keep a track of eligibility criteria, course cut-off, application procedure, application fee, and all the updates in newspapers, official websites of colleges, and many more.
- Work on your personality to be representative enough during the final rounds of the admission in front of the faculty
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Syllabus
The course is divided into two semesters to impart thorough knowledge about it.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Income Tax-1||Income Tax-2|
|Corporate Tax||Assessment of Specified Entities and Assessment Procedures|
|Central Sales Tax||Value-added tax|
|Central Exercise -1||Central Exercise & service tax|
|International Trade and custom duty||Custom duty-2|
Apart from the given syllabus, to better understand the topic and concepts the reader needs to have a clear understanding of the following topic,
- Methods of Accounting
- Organizational tax
- Foreign Transactions
- Tax planning, accounting
- Cost management
- Testing concepts
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Important Books
|Popular Books||Name of the Author|
|Practical Approach to Direct & Indirect Taxes||Dr. Girish Ahuja and Dr. Ravi Gupta|
|Direct Tax System Income Tax||Dr. R.K. Jain|
|Taxman’s Case Studies & Procedures Under Direct Tax Vivad Se Vishwas Act 2020 – Understand the Practical Aspects of the Scheme through Practical Case Studies||Mayank Mohanka|
|Professional Approach to Direct Tax Laws and International Taxation||Dr. Girish Ahuja and Dr. Ravi Gupta|
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Job Prospects and Career Options
The Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation is becoming one of the most popular postgraduate courses for students who have graduated in the commerce stream or Law stream. It is also attracting the student from professional disciplines like management, company secretary and chartered accountant towards it to gain more knowledge.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Tax Consultant||It advises clients on income tax returns and a range of financial matters, including trusts, estates, and retirement taxes||INR 5,11,041|
|Accountant||It is a very crucial part of an organization, for managing payroll, auditing, financial management, and tax filing||INR 249,458|
|Chief Financial Officer||A chief financial officer (CFO) is the person responsible for the finances of a corporation. They may review financial risks, create business plans and keep financial records. The CFO may analyze the financial data within a company and report his or her conclusions to the company's board of directors and chief executive officer.||INR3,541,126|
|Assistant Wealth Manager||It is an expert offering a combination service that includes financial/investment advice, some tax planning services, and estate planning||INR 4,19,000|
|Financial advisors||Financial advisors assess the financial needs of individuals, corporations, or nonprofits. Advisors help their clients plan for both long-term and short-term goals, including education expenses, retirement plans, budgeting, and general investments.||INR 3,61,297|
|Revenue agent||Along with tax examiners and collectors, revenue agents help ensure that federal, state, and local governments collect tax revenues from businesses and individuals. They are responsible for reviewing tax returns and conducting audits, as well as identifying and collecting overdue taxes.||INR 613,940|
|Certified Public Accountant||In addition to preparing individuals' taxes, certified public accountants (CPA) often advise clients on issues related to their taxes and income.||INR 6.5 to 7.8 LPA|
|Tax collector||Tax collectors, also referred to as revenue officers, attempt to gather money owed to the government by individuals or businesses late in filing tax returns. Most tax collectors work for the government at federal, state, or local levels.||INR 2,54,773|
|Tax manager||Building relationships and interacting with clients to provide excellent planning, consulting, and expertise. Providing innovative tax planning and reviewing complex income tax returns.||INR 13,08,088|
|Tax examiner||Tax examiners typically deal with tax returns filed by individuals and small businesses, whether at the municipal, state, or federal level. They confirm that taxpayers are claiming the appropriate deductions and credits, and assess penalties, interest, and fees as necessary.||INR 6,50,000|
Salary Graph Trend
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: Future Scope
- Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation course prepares the student for professional qualification in taxation, finance, accounting, and thus helps in establishing a good foothold in the Finance sector.
- It also opens various job opportunities for the people. In the upcoming time, knowledge about this field is only going to enhance one’s resume and job chance.
- As the market is growing, requirements for the people having good knowledge about taxation and ways to handle them off have a great future ahead in it.
Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation: FAQs
Ques: What are the benefits of Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation?
Ques: Why should I enroll in this program?
Ques: What kind of professional background do I need?
Ques: Is it possible to do this course while doing the job?
Ques: Can I get a Scholarship while applying for Colleges in Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation?
Ques: Do I have Job guarantee after completing Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation?
Ques: What are the sections on which entrance exams take?
Ques: What skills do I need to know before enrolling in PGDT?
Ques: Can I alter my career after pursuing PGDT?
Ques: What is the total duration of the PGDT program?