PGP in Healthcare Management is a 2- year full- time autonomous, industry- based program. The curriculum and evaluation mechanism are designed in consultation with industry professionals, senior market practitioners, and regulatory authorities to ensure that the course imparts training in line with the industry’s evolving requirements.
The course is divided into 4 semesters, with each semester lasting a period of 6 months. In each semester, students are exposed to separate sets of theoretical subjects and practical lab sessions.
Candidates’ final selection to the course is based on the test score, academic profile and interview (video interview for outstation candidates). Admission is based on performance in relevant entrance examinations carried out by different universities such as CAT, GMAT, XAT, CMAT, ATMA, SNAP and other State level examinations. The average tuition fee charged for this course in India ranges between INR 4 Lacs and 10 Lacs.
Successful postgraduates of the discipline may apply for jobs in various industries such as IT Healthcare, Insurance, Diagnostics, Pharma, Consultancy, Medical devices and NGOs. They are hired in companies like Aster, DM Healthcare, Columbia Asia Deloitte, Global Hospitals, HCG Hospitals, Hinduja and Global Services, and in capacities such as Business Analyst, Territory Account Manager, Dy. Manager, Regional Operations Manager and Operations Executive.
Average starting salary offered to such postgraduates lies generally between INR 8 and 10 Lacs per year, increase with experience in the field.
PGP in Healthcare Management: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduate in any discipline, from a recognized University|
|Admission Process||Based on counselling after clearing Entrance Tests CAT, GMAT, XAT, CMAT, ATMA for different colleges|
|Course Fee||INR 4 Lakh p.a.|
|Average Starting salary||INR 8 Lakh to 10 Lakh p.a.|
|Top recruiting companies||Aster, DM Healthcare, Columbia Asia Deloitte, Global Hospitals, HCG Hospitals, Hinduja and Global Services|
Eligibility for PGP in Healthcare Management
Graduates with a minimum aggregate graduating score of 50% from a recognized university having a flair for numbers may apply. Following disciplines of graduation are considered:
- MBBS / BDS / BEMS / BAMS / BHMS/ B. Pharma/ B.PT(Physiotherapy) / B.OT (Occupational therapy) with 1-2 years of experience and with a minimum of 50% marks in graduation (Freshers may also apply)
- Biomedical Engineers / BSc / B. Com / BA. / BMM - with 1-2 years of experience in the Health Care Industry with a minimum of 50% marks in graduation.
- General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) diploma graduates are eligible only with a minimum aggregate score of 50% in the diploma and with an experience of a minimum of 5 consecutive years in the Healthcare Industry. The candidate’s experience should have been acquired in the years immediately preceding the program’s commencement and the candidate should be employed while applying for the program.
PGP in Healthcare Management: What is it About?
In India, healthcare services are delivered through both public and private sectors. The public healthcare system consists of healthcare facilities run by the central and State governments, by means of free of cost or subsidized healthcare services to people living in both rural and urban areas. With growth in India’s economy, the healthcare industry too is expected to grow substantially.
Healthcare industry includes various partners in the domain such as:
- IT Healthcare
- Medical devices
To bridge the gap between supply of and demand for trained healthcare professionals, the course aims at training eligible individuals for using and applying management principles in people management, finance, operations, communication and other related areas to the healthcare sector. The course offers specialization in hospital administration to graduates of medicine.
In India,189 institutes offer healthcare- related programs. Aspirants are free to choose from among 2139 healthcare courses.
The course trains enrolled students in the following healthcare domains:
- Healthcare Administration and Management.
- Planning and Designing of Healthcare Facilities.
- Marketing for Healthcare.
- Healthcare Entrepreneurship.
- Project Management.
- Quality Healthcare Delivery and Improved Patient Care.
Admission to the course is open for students from medical and paramedical backgrounds including Medicine, Dentistry, Alternative systems of Medicine (Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Unani), Biomedical, Biotechnology, Pharmacy and Paramedical (Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupation Therapists). The program is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) and the world-renowned Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
It is recognized by The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) as equivalent to an MBA degree.
The program goes beyond traditional courses in Hospital Administration and Public Health and trains students for leadership positions in the healthcare sector.
Students are imparted managerial skills in fields such as Finance, Strategy, Marketing, Entrepreneurship etc.
In addition to hospitals and public health services, the curriculum covers healthcare divisions like Biomedical Devices, Pharmaceutical Industry, Healthcare Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Healthcare IT, to name a few.
Top Institutes Offering PGP in Healthcare Management
Compiled here is a list of the top institutes in India offering the course along with their respective locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees|
|Global Institute of Management (GIM)||Goa||INR 2.0 Lakh (course)|
|Administrative Staff College of India||Hyderabad||INR 5.0 Lakh (course)|
|TAPMI||Manipal||INR 9.5 Lakh (course)|
|Welingkar||Mumbai||INR 2.0 Lakh (course)|
|Gems B School||Bangalore||INR 3.9 Lakh (course)|
|IES Management College and Research Centre||Mumbai||INR 4.7 Lakh (course)|
PGP in Healthcare Management: Admission Process
Selection is based on performance in the relevant entrance exam held by the concerned university. As a general process, a pre- screening of the candidates is done on the basis of the following:
- Academic Profile (20%),
- Performance in CAT/GMAT/XAT/CMAT/MAT/ATMA or NSE Online Test (50%)
- Personal Interview (30%)
Entrance Tests for PGP in Healthcare Management:
The question paper for the exam is set in QMR format and tests the student’s aptitude and logical reasoning. These examinations are generally conducted in the month of April. Here is a list of the relevant entrance exams held in India for admission to the program.
An online objective- type test is held in June. The test is not mandatory for those who have already qualified CAT/GMAT/XAT/CMAT/MAT/ATMA. The online test consists of:
- Verbal Ability (30%),
- Data Interpretation and logical reasoning (30%),
- Quantitative Aptitude (30%),
- General Knowledge on Financial Markets (10%)
The online objective test lasts for 2 hours with negative marking of 0.25 per mark for every incorrect answer.
Candidates are selected based on the basis of score/percentile in MAT/CMAT/CAT/GMAT/XAT/ATMA. Academic credentials, performance in personal interview (PI), demonstrated interest in healthcare management, communication skills etc. are the parameters that candidates are tested on.
There are a few colleges in India which offer the option of lateral entry directly on the basis of the Bachelor’s degree.
Post Graduate in Healthcare Management is a 2- year course divided into 4 semesters and also containing project work.
PGP in Healthcare Management: Career Prospects
Management Professionals are required not only in hospitals, but also in the following areas:
- Lifestyle clinics
- Emergency medicine units
- Pharmaceutical firms
- Hospital information systems
- E-health ventures
- Credit rating firms
- NGOs and Health Insurance
- Hospital administration.
Rating agencies like CRISIL and ICRA hire successful postgraduates of the course as Healthcare Consultants. Doctors and Administrators/ Managers form a crucial link in Third Party Administrative (TPA) operations. They are assigned tasks such as gate keeping functions, claim audit - technical evaluations, claim investigations, etc.
Popular companies that hire successful postgraduates of the course are listed here:
Industries hiring such professionals are Retail, Commodity Trading, Design & Innovation, Agribusiness Management.
PGP in Healthcare Management: Employment Opportunities and Salary status:
Listed here are some of the popular job positions offered to successful postgraduates of the discipline with the corresponding job descriptions and salaries offered.
|Job Profile||Description||Average Pay Scale|
|Project Manager||Project managers may work closely with upper management to make sure that the scope and direction of each project is on schedule, as well as other departments for support.||INR 1,818,560 p.a.|
|Associate Consultant||They provide service to the clients and support to the Chief Consultant by leading the projects.||INR 5.9 Lakh per annum|
|Associate Research manager||They plan, guide, and execute user-centered research programs, manage project teams and client relationships, and continually elevate the level of quality.||INR 8.9 Lakh per annum|
|Business Analyst||Business Analysts develop technical solutions to business problems, advance a company's sales efforts, beginning with defining, analysing and documenting requirements.||INR 8 Lakh per annum|
|Territory Account Manager||A territory manager is responsible for improving revenue and developing sales methods for a geographical area. The territory can be as specific as a city or as broad as a group of States.||INR 4.45 Lakh per annum|
|Dy. Manager||They take over when the GM is not available and assume their responsibilities. They help motivate the staff, handle administrative duties, and perform human resource tasks, such as recruiting and assessing staff performance.||INR 18.1 Lakh per annum|
|Operations Executive||For most small businesses, Operations Executives oversee and direct financial budgets, personnel and operations, plan for growth in different areas. Unlike larger organizations, they often have a direct role in sales, marketing and customer service to ensure growth.||INR 2.36 Lakh per annum|
Some of the common roles postgraduates of Healthcare Management are hired in are:
- Healthcare Finance Managers: These professionals oversee the day to day financial activities of healthcare institutions and are responsible for budgeting, financial planning, financial analysis and reporting of daily financial activities. The job is highly dynamic and requires managers to be constantly updated about the latest insurance and healthcare financing regulations and options to allow efficient payment handling.
- Medical and Health Service Management: MBAs in hospital administration have the opportunity to work as Medical and Health Service Managers who are involved in the planning, directing and coordinating healthcare services provided by the healthcare service provider to ensure timely and efficient delivery of services.
- Hospital administrators: They ensure that all services provided by their healthcare institution run smoothly and effectively, and patients receive timely treatment. They are also responsible for the recruitment of staff including doctors, interns and nurses. In larger hospitals, there may be multiple administrators in charge of specific departments.
- Medical Director: They are in charge of ensuring proper and timely administration of treatments at clinics, hospitals, blood banks and more. They take care of any kind of grievances any patient might have and are responsible for the assignment of staff for each patient. They are often in charge of medical ethics and they look after maintaining transparency in the organization they work in.
- Blood Bank Administrator: They are responsible for proper evaluation of inventory and coordinate all operational functions of a blood bank. They provide operational oversight to the 3 most important functions of a blood bank – receipt, storage and delivery.
- HR Recruiter: This role involves overseeing the recruitment of new staff including nurses, doctors and assistants at hospitals, nursing homes, blood banks, medical clinics and other healthcare institutes. HR Recruiters at medical facilities are responsible for maintaining a healthy atmosphere at the workplace and they also ensure that the staff abides by all the rules and regulations of the facility and that the medical professionals carry out their duties ethically and responsibly.
The starting salary of a successful graduate of the course may be anything from INR 2, 35,000 to 5, 50,000 depending on prior qualifications and institute of post- graduation. The median salary of MBAs in Hospital Administration is approximately INR 4, 00,000. The pay scale has a steady growth curve and graduates can expect a healthy increase in pay packages over time with more experience.
PGP in Healthcare Management: Syllabus and Course Description
Modes of delivery of the program include lectures, seminars and tutorials, lab, project and team work.
The course imparts technical skills using examples, practical exercises and projects drawn from the world of business with the primary focus on the application of technology to business.
A semester- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is given here:
|Semester I||Semester II||Semester III||Semester IV|
|Principles of Management||Strategic management||Essentials of Healthcare Administration||Revenue Cycle Management in Healthcare|
|Financial Accounting||Cost Accounting||Planning & Designing of Healthcare Facilities||HR in Hospitals|
|Fundamentals of Communication & Interview Preparation||The Integrative Manager||Hospital Operation||Material Management & Equipment Management|
|Human Resource Management||Innovation Management||Customer Centric Organization||Legal Aspects in Healthcare Project|
|Marketing Management||Mastering the Interview & Networking Skills||Quality Management in Healthcare||-|
|Managerial Economics||Project Work||Project - ISR||-|