Post Graduate Program in Management, abbreviated as PGPM, is a master level course that provides detailed insights on various management skills along with a good opportunity for internships and live projects.
It is a trademark course of IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management), though nowadays many private and public colleges also provide PGPM course. It is almost similar to the MBA course.
The course duration is 1-2 years, which varies from college to college, but the minimum PGPM eligibility is the same in almost all the management colleges, i.e. a minimum of 50% or equivalent in any Bachelor’s degree course.
In most of the colleges, a minimum work experience of 1-2 years is a compulsory eligibility criteria for getting admission into PGPM course.
Admission is usually done through CAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT and other management entrance exams, followed by successive rounds of Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI).
PGPM program is most suitable for working professionals who aspire to upgrade their career and want to earn the most reputable management qualification as per the industry.
|IIM Bangalore PGPM Admissions 2021||SPJIMR Mumbai PGPM Admissions 2021||MDI Gurgaon PGPM Admissions 2021|
PGPM course of 2 years is regarded as a very demanding course as compared to 1 year program. Students study the basic management subjects such as Financial Accounting, Marketing Management, and others in the first year and select some specific electives in the second year.
In IIMs and most of the other institutes that offer 2 year PGPM course, each year is further divided into three terms that also includes compulsory internships, research work and live projects as a part of the course curriculum.
National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranks the best management colleges in India every year. In the table below we have provided the list of B-Schools in India that offer PGPM courses.
|NIRF 2019 Ranking||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Ree (INR)||Average Placement Package Offered (INR)|
|1||IIM Bangalore (IIMB)||Entrance Based (CAT, GMAT or GRE)||11,50,000||24,54,000|
|2||IIM Ahmedabad (IIMA)||Entrance Based (CAT, GMAT or GRE)||11,50,000||20,36,562|
|5||IIM Indore (IIMI)||Entrance Based (CAT, GMAT or GRE)||8,05,000||20,79,000|
|12||MDI Gurugram||Entrance Based (CAT, GMAT or GRE)||8,00,000||22,05,000|
|16||SPJIMR Mumbai||Entrance Based (CAT, XAT or GMAT)||9,80,000||18,38,000|
The average total course fee for PGPM courses in India ranges from INR 10,00,000 to INR 25,00,000. But most of the reputed private and government colleges (including the top IIMs) have PGPM course fees of around INR 20,00,000.
The main advantage of pursuing a PGPM course is that it imparts deep training to the students through internships, research work and live projects. It helps them to get greater access to the corporate world and gain a huge benefit of work-based learning, as compared to the other normal academic courses.
After completing this course, the students can pursue an established career in managerial positions in almost all the sectors including MNCs, IT firms, Finance sector, Consultancies, among others with the average salary of around INR 5-15 LPA.
The students willing to go for higher studies may also go for doctoral studies in future and pursue PhD courses in a relevant domain of management, finance, and others. Some colleges also offer PGPM - MBA dual degrees to its students.
There is a similar course called Executive PGPM which is of 1 year duration, usually provided by IIMs. The course is specially created and aimed specifically for working professionals.
PGPM Admission Process
Most of the B-Schools accept admissions in PGPM courses on the basis of entrance exam scores. The admission process for PGPM courses in most of the colleges is a four-step process, which can be described as follows:
Fill the Application Form of the College:
The candidate who fulfils all the eligibility criteria for the course will need to apply to the college in which they want to take admission, either online or through the post, as per instructions from the selected college(s).
Almost all the colleges accept admission to PGPM courses on the basis of entrance exam scores. So, the candidate is required to check which entrance exam is accepted by the college and make sure to appear and qualify that exam in order to get admission in your selected college. Generally, IIMs take admission through CAT exam, while other colleges accept any one of CAT/CMAT/GMAT scores.
Writing Ability Test (WAT):
After clearing the cut off set by the PGPM college, you will be notified about the next rounds of admission, which is mostly Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI). Some colleges (Other than IIMs) often take Group Discussion Round at first followed by WAT and PI.
WAT usually tests student’s analytical ability skills and capability. The students who pass the exam are finally selected for the PI round.
Personal Interview (PI):
After WAT, this is the second most important step of PGPM admissions. Only the final shortlisted candidates are called for PI round. In this round, a candidate's personality, academic background and working experience are assessed, and their managerial and leadership qualities are judged.
Candidates who successfully complete all these processes are finally given admission to the PGPM courses.
Candidates who are interested to pursue PGPM program, must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- A candidate must have completed a Bachelor degree from a recognised college/ university with a minimum percentage of 50% or equivalent CGPA.
- A valid score of accepted entrance exams like CAT, MAT, GMAT, etc.
- Some colleges like IIM, MDI, etc. also consider the work experience of the candidates to grant admissions, hence having work experience can be called an important criteria for PGPM admission.
Students in the last year of their Bachelor degree can also apply for PGPM program, if they are able to produce a certificate from their Principal or Head of Department of Registrar certifying that the candidate is currently in the final year and have secured at least 50% marks or equivalent based on the previous semester or latest available grades or marks
PGPM Entrance Exams
The following are the most popular and important management Entrance Exams in which a candidate must qualify in order to secure admission to PGPM course:
The Common Admission Test or CAT is one of the most popular entrance exams for admission to postgraduate management courses in India. The computer based exam is conducted every year by IIM, and the scores are officially used for granting admission to all the Postgraduate courses in all the IIMs of India.
Apart from IIM, almost all the top B-Schools in India accept CAT scores for granting admission to PGPM courses. The exam usually takes place in the month of November, and the results are available by the end of January. The application forms are usually available in the month of August, each year.
Common Management Aptitude Test or CMAT is a computer based entrance exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) at the end of January each year. CMAT scores are accepted by almost all the colleges (except the IIMs) for admission to PGPM courses. It is compulsory for all the AICTE approved colleges (both government and private) to accept CMAT scores for admission to postgraduate management courses. The application process generally takes place in the month of October - November, and the results arrive in February.
Graduate Management Admission Test or GMAT is a global management entrance exam conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). This test score is accepted in more than 100 countries worldwide, including India.
Apart from IIMs, most of the private management colleges in India accept the GMAT test score for admission to PGPM courses. Nowadays, GRE which is primarily for admission in MS and PhD courses in the US, is also accepted by many colleges in India for admission into management courses.
Xavier Aptitude Test or XAT is an online entrance exam conducted by XLRI. XAT scores are accepted by many reputed private colleges for admission into PGPM courses.
The application process generally takes place in November, exams are conducted in early January and the results are published either by the end of January or by early February each year.
PGPM Entrance Exams: Important Dates
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Application Period||Exam Date||Result Date|
|CAT 2021||Computer Based Test||1st week of August- 3rd week of September, 2020 (Tentative)||4th week of November, 2020||1st week of December, 2020 (Tentative)|
|CMAT 2021||Computer Based Test||1st week of November-1st week of December, 2020||4th week of January 2021||1st week of February, 2021|
|XAT 2021||Computer Based Test||September 12-Decemeber 10, 2020||January 03, 2021||Last week of January, 2021 (Tentative)|
|MAT 2020||Offline and Online||March 6-June 15, 2020 (For May Session)||June 14 & 21, 2020||To be Announced|
How to prepare for PGPM Entrance exams?
Succeeding in any entrance exam requires handwork and smart preparation. Here we present some tips and detailed insights to succeed in the above mentioned entrance exams.
Most of the PGPM Entrance Exams (like CAT) have three main sections, which are:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
While, the CMAT has four compulsory sections, which are:
- Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
- Logical Reasoning
- Language Comprehension
- General Awareness
Hence, it can be noted that sections like Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Analysis are common sections in most of the PGPM entrance exams.
Thus, candidates seeking to succeed in these entrance exams must be very good in these three main sections. If not, they should work on these sections to score well.
Preparation Tips for PGPM Entrance Exams
Scoring well in the entrance exam and clearing the cut off of top B-Schools in India is very important factor in deciding the future of many aspiring PGPM students.
Here are some section wise tips to improve the important sections of the exam:
1. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension:
- The success in this section clearly depends on your power of understanding the language and strength of vocabulary.
- Build your vocabulary as strong as you can. Also, practice for this section everyday, preferably in the morning, by reading newspapers and blogs, and also writing something (even diaries and blogs) using the new words you learnt everyday.
- Also, practice the questions from the preparation books which are recommended by the industry experts and management study gurus.
Recommended Books for this section:
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Arun Sharma, Meenakshi Upadhyay
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension by Ajay Singh
2. Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning:
- It is said that this is the easiest section if you are good in logic, and those who are not good at it can also increase their ability by practicing.
- This section often becomes the deciding factor, due to its sheer need for practice.
- Practice as much as you can. Solve the previous years question papers, sample question paper, and sometimes even some good puzzles available on the Internet.
- While solving those questions, always try to represent the given data and situations pictorially on a piece of paper, instead of just reading questions. This will enhance your understanding of the questions.
- Practice at least one question paper everyday and mark your progress.
- This is a section which requires equal practice from every candidate, and hence practice as much as you can.
Recommended Books for this section:
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
- LDRI Book by Nishit Sinha
- Logical Reasoning Book by RS Agarwal
3. Quantitative Ability:
- This is the mathematical section of the question paper, which becomes a bit easier for those who are from Science or Maths backgrounds in their Class 10+2.
- As the section generally contains school level mathematics, the candidates are generally advised to go through NCERT maths books and other good school level maths help books for Class 8, 9,10, 11, and 12.
- The engineering students get a slightly upper hand in this section, but other students can also perform very well with practice from last year papers, sample papers and recommended practice books.
Recommended Books for this section:
- NCERT Text books for Mathematics.
- Good school level maths books like RD Sharma, RS Agarwal.
- QA book by Arun Sharma
- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Verma.
Also Check: CAT Sample Papers & Mock Tests
How to get admission in top B-School in India offering PGPM course?
- Most of the PGPM colleges take admission solely on the basis of entrance exam scores.
- For getting admission in top IIMs, you will have to achieve a very high percentile in CAT entrance exam, at least 98 percentile.
- Topmost IIMs, like IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, call candidates with scores well above 99 percentile.
- Other reputed private colleges also prefer to have candidates with scores above 95 percentile.
- Apart from entrance exam scores, you should also make sure that you have adequate work experience, writing abilities and communication skills.
- Try to build a strong resume describing each of your achievements in minute details.
PGPM: What is it About?
PGPM course is specifically designed for those who are already working professionals, but want to pursue management courses for better career prospects in future.
- This course covers topics like Finance Accounting, Marketing Management, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Corporate finance, Communication skills, Business Laws, Operations management, among others.
- As this course is designed for working professionals, it provides ample opportunities for internships and live projects throughout the course.
- In the second year of the course, the students get an opportunity to select among some electives in the fields of Economy, Finance, General Management, IT and Marketing.
- After completing this course, the candidates can pursue jobs in higher managerial positions in big corporate houses, MNC's and IT firms.
- This course is considered at par with other management courses like MBA and PGDM in the job market.
- In case of 1 year PGPM course, the candidates can get an opportunity to pursue a course which is at par with MBA, but takes less time to complete.
- 2 year PGPM courses from IIMs generally grant MBA degrees at the end of the course.
- PGPM course from most of the other colleges are generally regarded as a certification course.
PGPM Course Highlights
|Full Form||Post Graduate Program in Management|
|Duration||1 to 2 years (depends on college)|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% marks in graduation and a minimum 2 years of work experience.|
|Admission Process||Purely Based on Entrance Exams such as CAT, GMAT, GRE, CMAT, XAT, MAT, etc.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 8,00,000-20,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6,00,000-20,00,000|
If you are a working professional who is willing to pursue a management course to increase your qualification, your capability and your management skills, then you must consider pursuing PGPM.
The following reasons are the other reasons of why should you pursue PGPM program:
- Can be completed in less time: Most of the PGPM courses (except 2 year courses of IIM) can be completed in a year. At the end of the course, you will get a certificate which is at par with an MBA at the job market, but you will complete the course in just 1 year.
- Learning through work: The design of the PGPM course is such that it includes either a compulsory internship or a compulsory live project in an interval of every 3-4 months or sometimes even throughout the year. Such abundance of internships and live projects are generally not available in any other management oriented courses.
- Huge Job Opportunities: The candidate completing PGPM courses generally have huge job opportunities in good companies, like Corporates, MNC's and IT sector companies.
- Higher Salary : The salary package for PGPM candidates generally range between INR 10,00,000 and INR 25,00,000 which is considerably higher than any other academic course. This is the main reason why candidates go for this PGPM program.
There are various management courses that are available in India such as MBA, PGDM, Executive MBA, etc. that can be called almost similar to the PGPM course.
In the section below, we have described and compared these courses for your better understanding of the aim, purpose and outcome of each of the management courses.
PGPM vs PGDM:
Many students get confused between PGPM and PGDM. Check the following table to know the common difference between them:
|Full Form||Post Graduate Program in Management||Post Graduate Diploma in Management|
|Duration||1-2 years||2 years|
|Course Overview||This is usually a postgraduate level certification course (except 2 year course of IIM which grants a degree) in the field of management.||This is a postgraduate level diploma course in the field of management.|
|Course Objective||It is a course specifically designed for working professionals to train them for managerial and leadership positions, and to get a boost in their career.||This course is meant for students who are coming for higher studies in Management after completing their bachelor degrees.|
|Admission criteria||Entrance Based Admission||Entrance Based Admission|
|Average Course Fees||INR 8,00,000-20,00,000||INR 12,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 10,00,000 to INR 20,00,000||INR 15,00,000|
PGPM vs MBA:
IIMs usually provide PGPM courses that are equivalent to MBA degrees. But the 1 year PGPM course that is offered by many top private B-Schools in India is different from MBA course.
The table below shows some of the common differences between these courses:
|Full Form||Post Graduate Program in Management||Master of Business Administration|
|Duration||1-2 years||2 years|
|Overview||This is usually a postgraduate level certification course (except 2 year course of IIM which can itself be converted into MBA) in the field of management.||This is a full time masters course in Business Administration.|
|Objective||It is a course specifically designed for working professionals to train them for managerial and leadership positions in different industry fields.||This course is meant for students who complete their bachelor degree, preferably a BBA, and move to higher studies for pursuing Masters course.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Based Admissions, and Cutoffs are generally lower as compared.||Entrance Based Admission, and Cutoffs are generally higher as compared.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 8,00,000-20,00,000||INR 10,00,000-20,00,000 (usually less in government colleges like BHU)|
|Average Salary||INR 10,00,000 to INR 20,00,000||INR 10,00,000 to INR 23,00,000|
Source: Official College Websites
The career options after all these management courses are the same in the private sector. Many government posts prefer students with an MBA degree rather than PGDM and PGPM.
But the exposure of the corporate industry is much more in PGPM course than PGDM or MBA course.
There are no official PGPM specializations, but the 2 year PGPM courses offer the same syllabus in the first year, and then some elective specialization subjects in the second year.
The specialization generally ranges in the following fields:
- Finance: The course gives an emphasis on financial management. The candidates are generally offered jobs in banking sector or corporate houses.
- General Management: This course generally presents an entire synopsis of the managerial roles and duties. This course lands jobs in many MNC's, Corporate sector, and IT sector companies.
- Information Technology: This course is specifically meant for IT sector candidates who want to get jobs in higher positions in IT sector companies. This course includes advanced IT topics like data mining, E-commerce and E-business, along with normal management topics.
- Human Resource: Also known as PGP-HRM, this course is designed for HR professionals, and includes topics such as Compensation and Benefits, and Talent management, etc.
- Marketing: The course gives a detailed insight of marketing skills. The candidates generally land a job in the corporate sector.
- Operations: This course generally provides detailed insights in operations management. The course comes with job opportunities in the corporate sector, MNC's and IT sectors.
PGPM Top Colleges
India Today releases the ranking of top business schools in India every year.
Here we have provided the list of top management colleges that offers PGPM course which were ranked under top 20 by India Today in 2019
Top PGPM Government Colleges:
|India Today 2019 Ranking||College Name||City of Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|1||IIM Ahmedabad||Ahmedabad||INR 11,50,000||INR 20,36,562|
|2||IIM Calcutta||Kolkata||INR 11,10,000||INR 27,90,000|
|5||IIM Indore||Indore||INR 8,05,000||INR 20,79,000|
|7||IIM Kozhikode||Kozhikode||INR 9,50,000||INR 23,08,000|
|14||IIM Shillong||Shillong||INR 11,50,000||INR 18,76,000|
|16||IIM Trichy||Tiruchirappalli||INR 9,15,000||INR 14,91,000|
Source: Official College Websites
Top PGPM Private Colleges:
|India Today 2019 Ranking||College Name||City of location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|4||SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR)||Mumbai||INR 9,80,000||INR 26,36,000|
|6||Management Development Institute (MDI)||Gurugram||INR 8,00,000||INR 22,05,000|
|12||Institute of Management Technology (IMT)||Ghaziabad||INR 1,00,000||INR 13,70,000|
|18||Great Lakes Institute of Management||Chennai||INR 15,86,000||INR 13,60,000|
The following table compares some of the best PGPM colleges in India considered for PGPM course:
|Parameters||MDI Gurugram||SPJIMR Mumbai||Great Lakes, Chennai|
|College Overview||The two year full time PGPM course was started by the institute in 1994. The college provides 14 to 17 electives to its students for specialization.||One year courses specially designed for working professionals. The college mainly focuses on experiential learning||The flagship 1 year PGPM course is claimed to be equivalent to one year MBA. The college is known for providing guarantee of placement.|
|Rankings||NIRF - 12 India Today - 6||NIRF - 16 India Today- 4||NIRF - 18 India Today - 18|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 8,00,000||INR 9,80,000||INR 15,86,000|
|Average Placement Package (Salary)||INR 22,05,000||INR 26,36,000||INR 13,60,000|
|Top Recruiters||Airtel, Flipkart, ITC, Amazon||Accenture, Amazon, Citi Bank||Amazon, Cognizant, Dell, Deloitte, Decathlon|
Top PGPM Colleges: ROI comparison
Below we have formulated a table that shows ROI (Return on Investment) of some of the top private B-Schools offering PGPM course:
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package (Annual Salary)||Calculated ROI* score||ROI rank|
|MDI Gurgaon||INR 8,00,000||INR 22,05,000||275.62||1|
|SPJIMR Mumbai||INR 9,80,000||INR 26,36,000||268.97||2|
|Great Lakes Institute||INR 15,86,000||INR 13,60,000||85.75||3|
*ROI = (Average placement package /Average Annual fees) x 100
Source: Official College Websites
The course curriculum and program stricture of PGPM course is unique and incorporates blended learning.
Other than theory classes, main focus is on internships and training, research work, fields trips, industry exposure, etc. that makes this course perfect for already working professionals
Though the syllabus varies from college to college, but a standard 2 year PGPM course is divided into six sessions, and follows the following course curriculum:
First year syllabus:
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3|
|Financial Accounting||Corporate finance||Business Laws|
|Managing Organisation||Macroeconomics||Competition and strategy|
|Marketing Management||Managerial Communication||Indian economy and policy|
|Microeconomics||Managing people and performance in organisation||Management Accounting|
|Quantitative Methods 1||Quantitative methods 2||Information systems and analytics|
|Written Analysis and Communication||Research and marketing decisions||Operations management|
Second year syllabus :
The second year syllabus differs from college to college and depends on the electives available and selected by the candidate. Some of the common elective courses are:
|Econometrics||International Finance||Data Visualization For Managers|
|Data Mining for Business Decisions||Product and Brand Management||Strategic Sourcing Management|
|Corporate Governance||Customer Experience Planning and Execution||Foundations of Strategy Consulting|
|Performance Management||Information Technology Consulting||Private Equity and Venture Capital|
Find More: PGPM Syllabus Subjects and Course Books
PGPM Jobs & Career
After the completion of PGPM course, candidates can expect a salary hike of upto 30-40% salary hike on their current offer, as compared to their last job. This is not fixed, and it largely depends upon the college, placement offer, company credibility and the required skills & experience of the candidate.
Check the table below that shows common PGPM Jobs along with the salaries and compensation associated with the job post:
|Job Profile||Role||Expected Salary (INR)|
|Tech consultant||The managerial position in the IT sector. Tech consultants give advice to the company on various technical aspects.||8,14,400|
|ITES||To look after the various IT enabled services of the company.||6,68,000|
|Business Consultant||To advise a corporate firm on various aspects of business, including its expansion.||9,86,106|
|Operations Manager||To manage the daily operations of a corporate house.||7,78,278|
|Finance Manager||To manage the various financial aspects of an enterprise.||9,99,394|
|Sales and Marketing Analyst||To analyse and work on development of sales and marketing strategies of a company.||4,45,771|
Find out more: PGPM Jobs & Salary
Salary Trend Graph:
PGPM Future Scope
The demand for PGPM courses is growing day by day. The companies hiring the candidates offer salaries at par with the MBA candidates.
- As the PGPM candidates are expected to have greater work experience than other course candidates, the course is bound to get greater importance from the recruiters in future.
- The career options are huge for a PGPM candidate. The PGPM candidates are offered managerial jobs in almost every sector like corporate, MNC, IT and finance sector.
- The candidates can go on to have a doctoral degree such as PhD in Management Studies and PhD in Business Management, among others. There is a scope to pursue other certification courses as well which might help to increase their skills and management capabilities.
- Most of the candidates are hired as Analysts and Consultants, the positions which offer very high pay that ranges from INR 6-20 LPA.
Ques. What are the advantages of PGPM?
Ques. What are the disadvantages of doing PGPM?
Ques. Is the 1 year PGPM course of the Great Lakes Institute of Management really as good as claimed?
Ques. Which course is better? MBA or PGPM?
Generally, PGPM is limited in terms of higher education opportunities, but gives many advantages over MBA in terms of internships and live projects.
Ques. Of MBA, PGPM, and PGDM, which one has greater value at the job market?
Ques. Does PGPM have the same value as an MBA degree?
Ques. Which one is better? PGPM or PGDM?
Ques. Which is the top private college for studying PGPM courses?
Ques. Which entrance exam is accepted by Great Lakes for admission to PGPM courses?
Ques. Is there any delay or changes in the PGPM Admission Process because of COVID-19 crisis in India?