Psychology courses extensively deal with the study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting a behaviour in a given context. Psychology is a multifaceted discipline which includes many sub-fields of study areas such as human development, sports, health, clinical, social behaviour and cognitive process.
There are only 898 psychologists against 20,250 required in the country and less than 900 psychiatric social workers against the 37,000 needed, according to The Economics Times.
A candidate is eligible for admissions in any of the Psychology courses such as BA in Psychology, B.Sc in Psychology, MA in Psychology, M.Sc in Psychology, or PhD in Psychology, if he has cleared class 12th or graduation (whichever relevant) with a minimum of 50% aggregate, and work experience in the case of master of psychology courses.
Psychology courses are available as certificate and diploma courses, both online and offline, by Coursera, Udemy, and edX.
The average salary of a psychologist when they start out ranges around INR 3.12 LPA, which reaches 5.5 LPA when they reach their 7th year. After working for 12 years and above the average salary of a psychologist reaches around 8 – 11 LPA.
Types of Psychology Degree
|Clinical Psychology||Educational Psychology|
|Counseling Psychology||Developmental Psychology|
|Social Psychology||Health Psychology|
Know More: BSc. Distance Psychology
Certificate Psychology Courses
There are several degrees associated with Psychology courses, one of the most basic and common degrees is the Certificate degree in Psychology courses. The eligibility criteria for pursuing Certificate Psychology courses are listed below for your reference,
- Candidates can pursue certificate psychology courses in various specializations of psychology like Clinical, Counselling, Developmental, Educational, Health, and Social Psychology.
- Many of these certificate psychology courses are offered for free, especially psychology courses online. However, some websites might charge you if you want a certificate.
- There are no strict eligibility criteria for these certificate psychology courses. Candidates from any stream can pursue them, they just need to have completed their Class 12th.
The average salary after these certificates is around INR 1.5-2.5 lakh.
Top Psychology Courses Online
The below table shows some of the top psychology courses online offered by the famous online course providing websites and learning platforms, like Coursera, edX, and Udemy.
|Introduction to Psychology||Coursera (in collaboration with Yale University)||15 hours (approx.)||Free|
|The Psychology of Criminal Justice||edX (in collaboration with The University of Queensland)||8 weeks||Free (Certificate for INR 7,240)|
|Introduction to Clinical Psychology||edX (in collaboration with The University of Queensland)||7 weeks||Free (Certificate for INR 7,240)|
|Introduction to Developmental Psychology||edX (in collaboration with The University of Queensland)||8 weeks||Free (Certificate for INR 7,240)|
|Introduction to Social Psychology||edX (in collaboration with The University of Queensland)||7 weeks||Free (Certificate for INR 7,240)|
|Child Psychology (Advanced Level) - Accredited Certificate||Udemy||2 hours (approx.)||INR 572|
|Forensic Psychology - Accredited Certificate||Udemy||2 hour 30 minutes (approx.)||INR 592|
Check: Digital Marketing Courses
Top Offline Certificate Psychology Courses
Few institutions which offer offline psychology courses in various specializations are listed in the following table. Since numerous certification courses are available from a wide range of institutions, only popular among these courses are mentioned in the table.
|Certificate Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees|
|Certificate Course in Psychology||Women's Christian College, Chennai MES College Marampally, Aluva||INR 5,000-10,000|
|Certificate Course in Principles of Clinical Psychology||JSS Academy of Higher Education & Research, Mysore||INR 5,000-10,000|
Psychology Certificate Courses Admissions
Admissions to the certificate psychology courses are very simple. There is no need for any kind of entrance exams or merit percentage.
- The candidate opting for the certificate psychology courses is required to just pass in the 10+2 and must undergo any one Bachelor’s course, preferably BSc psychology/BA psychology.
- Moreover, the admission procedure is also very simple for the certification courses as it requires just the filling up of personal details in the website providing the certification course.
- As soon as students deposit the fees, they are ready to pursue the psychology course according to its schedule.
Diploma in Psychology
Diploma in psychology courses is available at both regular diploma and PG diploma levels. The eligibility criteria for pursuing Diploma in Psychology courses are enlisted below for your reference,
- The eligibility for a diploma in psychology courses varies, students can do a diploma after class 10th and 12th, while PG Diplomas are done after graduation.
- The duration for a diploma in psychology courses is normally 1 year and the duration of a PG diploma in psychology is 1-2 years.
- Normally these psychology courses are pursued by students interested in the practically oriented study of psychology courses.
The average salary after a diploma in psychology courses is around INR 6-7 lakh per annum.
Top Diploma in Psychology Courses
|Diploma Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees|
|Diploma in Counselling Psychology||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai Government College of Educational Psychology and Guidance, Jabalpur Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa||INR 65,000|
|Diploma in Psychological Medicine||Goa University||-|
Top PG Diploma in Psychology Courses
|Course Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology||Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli Amity University, Noida||INR 22,000|
|Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in Counselling||Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi||INR 15,500|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Criminal Psychology||Amity University, Gwalior||INR 32,000|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology||Amity University, Noida||INR 1,70,000|
Diploma in Psychology Courses Admissions
Admissions to the diploma in psychology courses are done through the merit score of graduation in the relevant field.
- The basic eligibility criteria for these psychology courses is that candidates should possess a graduation degree, preferably BSc/BA psychology degree from a recognized university.
- Some colleges offering psychology courses also ask for work experience in the case of a PG Diploma in psychology.
- Students with a CGPA between 7-10 are exempted from work experience for the psychology courses admissions and are offered the admissions directly.
Bachelor of Psychology
Undergraduate courses in Psychology or Bachelor of psychology is a full-time degree course with a duration of 3 years. These psychology courses can be pursued either in regular mode or distance mode from IGNOU.
The eligibility for pursuing Bachelor degree in Psychology courses are enlisted below for your reference,
- The most popular bachelor of psychology courses are BA Psychology and BSc Psychology.
- While more focus is given on scientific aspects of Psychology in BSc Psychology, BA Psychology focuses on social aspects.
- The average fee of these psychology courses in India is between INR 5,000-50,000, depending upon the college.
Graduates can get job opportunities in law, journalism, counselling, hospitals, industries and human resource sectors. The average salary is INR 2,00,000 - 3,00,000 lakh after these psychology courses.
Top Bachelor of Psychology Courses
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|BA in Psychology||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai Fergusson College, Pune||INR 5,000-15,000|
|BA (Hons.) in Psychology||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi Amity University, Noida Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi||INR 30,000-40,000|
|BSc in Psychology||Presidency College, Chennai Stella Maris College, Chennai Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||INR 10,000-15,000|
|BSc (Hons) in Psychology||Bethune College, Kolkata||INR 1,371|
Bachelor of Psychology Admissions
Admissions to Bachelor of psychology is carried out through the basis of merit percentage in 10+2 in school from a recognized board of education.
- Normally entrance exams and counseling are conducted for admission to bachelor of psychology courses.
- Integral University conducts IUET, a state-level entrance exam, to select students for its psychology courses.
Bachelor Psychology Courses Entrance Exams
Master of Psychology
Master of psychology is offered for the candidates who wish to pursue a career as a psychologist and want to become a specialized psychologist in a particular field. The eligibility criteria for pursuing post graduate degree in psychology are listed below for your reference,
- The duration of a master of psychology is normally 2 years in most cases.
- Similar to a bachelor of psychology, master of psychology courses are also offered as MSc psychology, and MA psychology.
Top Master of Psychology Courses
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|MA Psychology||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar||INR 20,000-30,000|
|MSc Psychology||Presidency College, Chennai University of Allahabad||INR 1,000-5,000|
|MSc in Clinical Psychology||Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar Christ University, Bangalore||INR 60,000-80,000|
|MSc in Applied Psychology||St Francis College for Women, Hyderabad||INR 30,000-35,000|
|MSc in Counselling Psychology||Christ University, Bangalore University of Madras||INR 60,000–80,000|
Master of Psychology Admissions
Admissions to the master of psychology courses are carried out based on the merit scores of graduation, i.e. BSc/BA psychology.
- The basic eligibility for the master of psychology is graduation in either BA psychology or BSc psychology courses.
- Some state-level entrance exams are conducted for admissions to state universities, like AUCET and CUCET, for master of psychology admissions.
Master Psychology Courses Entrance Exams
The table gives details of entrance exams for the admission of Masters programs in psychology courses.
PhD in Psychology
PhD in psychology is generally pursued by students who wish to research the psychological sciences or become a psychology professor at best psychology colleges.
- The common duration of a doctorate in psychology or PhD degree is a minimum of 3 years.
- Students have a lot of fellowship opportunities at stake to pursue.
The average salary after doctorate psychology courses in India is roughly around INR 8-10 LPA.
Top PhD Psychology Courses
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|PhD in Psychology||Amity University, Noida IIT Gandhi Nagar Women's Christian College, Chennai Annamalai University, Chidambaram Chandigarh University||INR 40,000-50,000|
|PhD in Psychiatry||Annamalai University, Chidambaram||INR 64,410|
PhD in Psychology Admissions
Admissions to a PhD in psychology courses are done through entrance exams. The basic eligibility for PhD in psychology is the completion of graduation and post-graduation in psychology.
- Indian Statistical Institute Admission (ISI) is conducted periodically for admission for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) in Psychology.
- Central Universities Common Entrance Tests (CUCET) is a national-level examination that is regulated by ten central universities jointly. Admission to the central universities is done through this exam for all types of courses like UG, PG, and others.
Doctorate Psychology Courses Entrance Exams
Psychology Jobs And Career
After pursuing any of the mentioned psychology courses, a student can have a career in psychology in different streams like media, HR, psychologist, counselor, etc. Some of the popular psychology jobs are discussed in the below part which includes the description of the job and skills required for the job.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Salary|
|Psychotherapist||A psychotherapist generally helps to overcome the psychological issues of a single person, groups, couples, families. They also help the patients to come out of issues in a relationship, stress and addiction.||INR 5.25 lakh|
|Psychologist||A psychologist analyzes the thoughts, behaviors and emotions of the patients or clients and gives proper advice to solve the psychological problems.||INR 4.11 lakh|
|Counselor||A counselor must need to be confidential and maintain the experiences, feelings and emotions shared by the clients or patients. Counselors must provide proper counselling to improve the mental condition of the patient.||INR 2.92 lakh|
|Psychiatrist||The job of a Psychiatrist is to talk to their clients and get an understanding of their mental health as well as personal growth. They keep a thorough study on the human behavioral psychology and thereafter develop treatment plans for them. They also research treatments for various mental conditions.||INR 5 lakh|
|Social Psychologist||A Social Psychologist researches social interaction and their influencing factors. They can find jobs across various Government and Private organizations||INR 6 lakh|
|Rehabilitation Expert||Rehabilitation Experts help people with physical, mental, emtional and developmental instabilities. They work with people who are suffering a personal or a social loss or crisis||INR 4 lakh|
Psychology Courses: Top Recruiters
Psychologists work in various sectors such as Healthcare teams, Hospitals, Medical Schools, Clinics, Nursing Homes, Mental Health Care Centers, educational Institutions etc. Some of the top recruiters in the field of Psychology are listed below for your reference,
- Amity University
- T & A Solutions
- Fortis Healthcare
- Shiv Nadar University
- Roots and Routes Counselling & Psychotherapy Centre
- Public Health Foundation of India
- Defense Institute of Psychological Research
Skills Required for Psychology Courses
After the completion of a psychology course, it is essential for the graduates to have the basic skills which are mentioned above in order to pursue their career. These skills can be developed through various courses available online by numerous courses providing sites.
|Defining Ethics and Responsibility||Common Ethical Scenarios|
|Honesty Is The Best Policy||Corporate Ethics Continuous Play|
|Factors for Evaluating Ethics||Meaning and Importance of Ethical Leadership for Business Organizations|
|Profiling Ethical Issues||Recognizing the role of Ethics in Organization|
|Universal Morals||Evolution of Morality|
Comparison of Psychology Courses Online
The various parameters of two different online platforms which provide psychology courses are compared in the below table.
|Course Name||Forensic Psychology - Accredited Certificate||Introduction to Psychology|
|Duration||2 hour 30 minutes (approx.)||17 hours|
|Created by||Elmira Strange||Yale University|
Psychology Courses: FAQs
Ques. What is the basic eligibility for the psychology UG course?
Ques. Can I learn psychology courses online?
Ques. Which is the free online psychology course?
Ques. What is the duration of a psychology course?
Ques. How much does it cost to do a psychology course?
Ques. Is it worth pursuing a psychology course?
Ques. What is the average salary after completing a psychology course?
Ques. Do I get a scholarship to pursue psychology certifications?
Ques. What are the skills expected in a candidate after the completion of a psychology course?
Ques. What are the job opportunities available after the completion of psychology courses?