Teacher Training courses in India are available as soon as the students complete their Class XII. These courses are available for students of all streams, i.e., Science, Commerce and Arts or Humanities. Top names in this stream include courses like B.Ed, B.El.Ed, D.El.Ed, JBT and BTC.
- Teacher Training courses are offered at Certificate, Diploma, UG, PG and even at the doctorate level.
- For those students who want to learn some specific skills, many online certificate programs are also available.
-These courses range from 6 months to 2 years
-Online certificates can be for just a few hours.
-Offered in different areas like Early Childhood Care Teachers Training, Education Management & Administration, Pre and Primary Teachers Training, Montessori Teachers Training , Basic Teachers course and more.
-Duration ranges from 1-2 years.
-Offered in specializations like Elementary Education , Elementary Teacher Training, Physical Educations, Faculty Development Programme, Junior Basic Training, etc.
-3 year full time courses
-Come with common specializations like Education, Elementary Education, Physical Education and others.
-Can be opted in both regular and distance mode from different universities.
-2 years full time courses.
-Courses are available through Regular mode as well as through Correspondence mode.
-2 years to 6 years full time courses
-Courses are available through regular and distance modes -Pursued by those who are looking for research opportunities in this field.
Teacher training courses train candidates to deal with students in classes for their holistic growth. Not only in terms of intellectual ability, but it also provides all other needs in terms of behavioural, emotional, and social factors.
- The duration of these courses varies from level to level. It is from 6 months to 1 year for certificate courses, and 4-5 years at the Doctorate level.
- Diploma courses of 6 months-2 years are also provided by some institutions separately, or in an integrated way with Bachelors or Masters degrees.
- Top Specializations in teacher training courses include Elementary Education, Physical Education, Child Care Training, Management in Education, etc.
Read in detail about all the levels of these courses below, along with details like eligibility, exams, fees, salary, etc.
Teacher Training Courses: Highlights
The table below gives the key highlights into different courses available in India for teacher training.
Certificate: Early Childhood Care Teachers Training, Basic Teachers course, Education Management & Administration, Pre and Primary Teachers Training, etc.
Diploma: D.El.Ed, Elementary Teacher Training, Physical Educations, Faculty Development Programme (FDP), Junior Basic Training (JBT), etc.
UG: B.El.Ed, B.Ed, B.P.Ed, etc.
PG: In Education, Elementary Education, Physical Education and many more streams.
Doctorate: PhD in Physical Education
Certificate: Few months to years
Diploma: 1-2 years
UG: 2-4 years
PG: 2 years
Doctorate: 3- 6 years
Certificate: 12th Pass from any stream or Graduation from a recognised board.
Diploma: 12th Pass or Graduation from a recognised board.
UG: Candidate should be 12th pass (for B.El.Ed) and graduation pass (for B.Ed) with a minimum of 50% in aggregate from any stream.
PG: Candidate should have 45-50% in graduation from a Teaching Stream, from a recognised university.
Doctorate: Candidates should have completed their masters degree or equivalent in teaching from a recognised university.
Certificate: INR 5,000-12,000
Diploma: INR 15,000-30,000
UG: INR 1,00,000-2,00,000
PG: INR 60,000-1,20,000
Doctorate: INR 50,000-4,00,000
|Types of Online Courses||Free and Paid, from websites like Udemy, Future Learn, Coursera, etc.|
|Top Job Prospects||Teacher, Curriculum Developer, Course Coordinator, Counsellor, Education Consultant, Research Scholar, Content Writer, Professor, Educational Administrator, Online Tutor, Principal, Sports Teacher, etc.|
Certificate: INR 10,000-30,000 per annum
Diploma: INR 3-5 lakh per annum
UG: INR 1.8-3 lakh per annum
PG: INR 4-6 lakh per annum
Doctorate: INR 2-20 lakh per annum
Certificate Teacher Training Courses
The certificate courses are of different durations starting from a few months to a few years.
- The basic eligibility to opt for such courses is that candidates should have completed at least Class XII from a recognized school.
- For some PG Certificates, candidates would be required to complete a graduation course in teaching.
- Certain popular certificates include BTC, Montessori Teachers Training, Nursery Teachers Training, Early Childhood Care Teachers Training, etc. Check BTC Colleges in India.
- Selection of students is done on the basis of merit in their last qualifying exam.
Top Online Teacher Training Certificates in India
Online certificates can be pursued from top online learning websites like Coursera, Udemy, Futurelearn, etc. The details of some courses are given below.
|Training and Development Professional’s Guide||Udemy||2 hours||INR 481|
|Professional Development for Early Career Teachers||Future Learn||5 weeks||Free ($59 for certificate)|
|Embedding Mental Health in Curriculum||Future Learn||12 weeks||$659 (INR 48,500)|
|Leading Educational Innovation and Improvement||edX||10 months||INR 69,303|
|Intercultural Competency in Education||edX||5 weeks||INR 3,864|
Top Offline Teacher Training Certificates in India
|Course||Top College||Duration||Average Fees|
|Basic Training Certificate (BTC)||-CWCE Lucknow -Singhania University, Jhunjhunu -KCMT Bareilly -IMR Ghaziabad||2 years||INR 8,000-1,30,000|
|Certificate Course in Pre and Primary Training||-Asian College of Teachers, Delhi -IGNOU, New Delhi||4-6 months||INR 9,000-11,000|
|Certificate Course in Nursery Teacher Training||-Asian College of Teachers -IGNOU||6 months-1 year||INR 8,000-12,000|
How are Admissions in Certificate Teacher Training Courses Done?
Admission processes differ for offline and online courses in India.
- For online certificates, just a simple enrolment on the website and payment of fees is enough to access the course.
- For offline certificates, the admission process varies from college to college. Most of the universities admit students on merit basis.
- Candidates should have completed their Class XII with a minimum score, as mentioned by colleges individually.
- Admission process is based on the marks obtained at 12th level with a minimum of 40% in aggregate for some courses.
- For BTC courses, students must complete their graduation.
There is no entrance test for the certificate/ diploma course.
Top Colleges for Certificate in Teacher Training
These are some colleges offering BTC certificates in India.
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|Singhania University||Jhunjhunu||INR 22,000|
|Khandelwal College of Management Science and Technology (KCMST)||Bareilly||INR 82,000|
|DNS College of Engineering and Technology||Jyotiba Phule Nagar||INR 45,000|
|Dr AH Rizvi Degree College||Kaushambi||INR 44,000|
|Gochar Mahavidyalaya||Saharanpur||INR 41,000|
|Rajendra Prasad Degree College||Bareilly||INR 22,000|
|Sri Mahavir Prasad Mahavidyalaya||Lucknow||INR 42,000|
|Central Women’s College of Education (CWCE)||Lucknow||NA|
|Bhagwanti Education Center and Degree College||Kanpur||NA|
|Kanchan Singh Bhooli Devi Mahavidyalaya||Kanpur Dehat||NA|
Diploma Teacher Training Courses
Diploma courses are available in multiple streams and are the most popular courses after B.Ed for teaching programs.
- The duration of these courses ranges from 1-2 years in India.
- Eligibility for these courses is 12th pass with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
- Diploma courses are offered in specializations like Elementary Education, Physical Education, etc. Get details of this in the table below.
Top Diploma Teaching Courses
These are the popular courses for a diploma in teacher training.
|Course Name||Colleges Offering||Duration||Average Fees|
|Diploma in Education (D.Ed)||-Bhabha College of Education, Bhopal -Bharat College of Education, Yamunanagar -MGTTC Patna||2 years||INR 30,000-1,00,000|
|Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed.)||-Jamia Millia Islamia -Bombay Teachers Training College -DY Patil Vidya Pratishthan||2 years||INR 5,000-50,000|
|Diploma in Physical Education (D.P.Ed.)||-Alagappa University, Karaikudi -Osmania University, Hyderabad -GIMS Dehradun||2 years||INR 5,000,80,000|
|Junior Basic Training (JBT)||-Aastha College, New Delhi -City College of BTC Lucknow -Brilliant University, Jamnagar||2 years||INR 1,000-50,000|
|Diploma in Early Childhood Education||-Bombay Teachers Training College, Mumbai -CMJ University, Ri-Bhoi -Jaipur National University, Jaipur||1 year||INR 1,000-40,000|
How are Admissions Conducted for Diploma Teacher Training Courses?
- Admission can be through online or offline mode.
- Selection is done on the basis of merit, but depends upon the colleges individually.
- Many colleges like NIOS conduct entrance tests for admission. Details of these are given below. Most commonly, entrance exams for D.El.Ed are conducted.
Diploma Teacher Training Courses Entrance Exams
These are few exams conducted for such courses, check their details. The dates are a bit different this year due to Covid 19 pandemic.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Date||Exam Date|
|Arunachal Pradesh D.Ed Entrance Exam||State Council of Educational Research & Training, Itanagar||May 2020||June 2020|
|Assam SCERT D.Ed Entrance Exam||SCERT Assam||March 16, 2020||1st week of September 2020|
|SCERT CG D.Ed Entrance Exam||Chhattisgarh Professional Examination Board||April 16, 2002||June 11, 2020|
|Meghalaya D.Ed Entrance Exam||Directorate of Educational Research and Training ( DERT), Meghalaya||June 19, 2020||August 2020|
|Manipur D.Ed Entrance Exam||Department of Education, Government of Manipur||1st week of September 2020||4th week of September 2020|
|Haryana D.Ed Entrance Exam||State Council of Education Research and Training, Haryana||1st week of August 2020||September 2020|
Top Colleges for Diploma Teacher Training Courses in India
These are some good colleges offering this course in India. The details of their fees are also given along.
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|Bhabha College of Education||Bhopal||INR 15,000|
|Bharat College of Education||Haryana||INR 25,800|
|Geeta Adarsh College of Education||Kurukshetra||INR 44,000|
|Mirza Ghalib Teacher’s Training College||Patna||INR 45,000|
|Lord Krishna College of Education||Ambala||INR 26,000|
Few colleges do offer Diploma degrees in teacher training from distance learning or correspondence modes. Details of some of these colleges are given below.
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|Acharya College of Education||Bangalore||INR 28,000|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||New Delhi||INR 15,000|
|Asian College of Teachers||Bangalore||INR 32,000|
|Prabhat Jyotirmoyee College of Education||West Bengal||INR 20,000|
|Seema D.Ed College||Karnataka||INR 25,000|
Bachelor Teacher Training Courses
- Undergraduate Teaching courses are 2-4 year full time courses.
- These courses are provided through regular mode and through correspondence education also.
- Top courses here include B.Ed and B.P.Ed. Eligibility criteria is different for different courses.
- For courses like B.El.Ed., students need to have cleared class XII, while they need to complete graduation to study B.Ed course.
Alert: According to New Education Policy (NEP) 2020, 4-year BEd courses will be mandatory by 2030. Also, those who have completed post graduation can go for 1 year B.Ed.
Top UG Teacher Training Courses
These are the courses of teacher training offered at bachelors level in India.
|Course||Top Colleges||Duration||Average Annual Fees|
|Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)||-Banaras Hindu University -University of Calcutta -St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata -Jamia Millia Islamia -University of Delhi||2-4 years||INR 1.5 lakh|
|Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed)||-Miranda House College -Lady Shri Ram College for Women -Gargi College -Jesus and Mary College -Amity University||4 years||INR 1.5 lakh|
|Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed)||-MDU Rohtak -MGU Kottayam -LPU Jalandhar -BHU Varanasi -Magadh University, Gaya||3-4 years||INR 10,000-60,000|
How are Admissions Conducted for Bachelor Teacher Training Courses?
Admissions in these courses are done through both entrance exams and merit basis. This depends upon the college you choose to pursue your course.
- For merit admission, colleges refer to the marks scored in the previous level of education. This is announced by the college in advance only.
- Many universities like BHU and GGSIPU conduct entrance exams also. The details of some of these exams are given in the table below.
- Students need to clear the eligibility criteria to appear in these exams. They need to have completed Class XII for B.El.Ed., and graduation is required for the B.Ed course.
Bachelor Teacher Training Courses Entrance Exams
These are some popular exams for admission in bachelor education courses.
|Exam||Conducting Body||Application Date||Exam Date|
|IPU CET||GGSIPU (IP university)||March 2021||April 2021|
|BHU UET||Banaras Hindu University||To be announced||To be announced|
|DU B.Ed||Delhi University||To be announced||To be announced|
|DU B.El.Ed||Delhi University||To be announced||To be announced|
Top Colleges for Bachelor Teacher Training Courses in India
The table below shows some of the best education colleges in India, offering these courses at the UG level.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|3||Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Varanasi||INR 5,670|
|7||University of Calcutta||Kolkata||INR 2,164|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||INR 13,800|
|11||University of Delhi||New Delhi||NA|
|37||Amity University||Noida||INR 1,60,000|
|55||Banasthali University||Jaipur||INR 1,49,000|
|95||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU)||New Delhi||INR 1,30,000|
Top Colleges Offering Distance Education for B.Ed
These are some colleges offering bachelor teacher training courses in correspondence mode.
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR)||New Delhi||INR 20,000|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)||Jalandhar||INR 1,70,000|
|Satyam College of Education||Noida||INR 70,000|
|St.Xavier’s College of Education||Patna||INR 80,000|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||New Delhi||INR 50,000|
|Netaji Subhas Open University (NSOU)||West Bengal||INR 8,000|
Master Teacher Training Courses
Post graduate courses deal with all the educational aspects with a little more detail and are meant for giving practical experience of the actual scenario. These courses make sure that students are familiar with all the nuances of teaching and pedagogy.
- Masters of Teaching courses are of 2 years in most of the cases.
- Candidates can do them through regular as well as correspondence mode.
- These courses are also offered in multiple specializations, just like their diploma and bachelor counterparts.
Top PG Teacher Training Courses
This is the list of teaching courses offered in India at the masters level.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Duration||Average Fees|
|Masters of Education (M.Ed)||-Ghulam Ahmed College of Education -Mumbai University -Annamalai University -Banasthali Vidyapith University -Amity University||2 years||INR 1,700- 2,50,000|
|Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed.)||-BHU Varanasi -DU New Delhi -Bharathiar University, Coimbatore -AMU Aligarh||2 years||INR 10,000-2,00,000|
|M.Ed Special Education||-BHU Varanasi -Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi -Alagappa University, Karaikudi -Panjab University, Chandigarh||2 years||INR 6,000-40,000|
How are Admissions Conducted for Master Teacher Training Courses?
- Admissions are done through merit lists created by the university on the basis of the graduation results.
- Also, admission is done through entrance exams which consist of objective questions based on knowledge related to Teaching background.
- After entrance, counselling or Group Discussion (GD) or Personal Interview (PI) is done to select the candidates for Masters according to particular disciplines.
- Entrance Exam is mostly of objective type and includes General Knowledge, Teaching Aptitude, Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude and General English.
Master Teacher Training Courses Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Body||Application Date||Exam Date|
|BHU PET||Banaras Hindu University||January 30, 2020||August 24-31, 2020|
|Delhi University Masters Entrance Exam||Delhi University||June 20, 2020||September 2020|
|JUET||Jammu University||2nd week of May 2020||2nd week of June 2020|
|Lucknow University M.Ed Admission Test||Lucknow University||March 16, 2020||September 2020|
|AMU Test||Aligarh Muslim University Test||August 14, 2020||To be notified|
Top Colleges for PG Teacher Training Courses in India
These are the colleges which offer M.Ed and M.P.Ed. courses in India.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location|
|3||Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Varanasi|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi|
|11||Delhi University||New Delhi|
|30||Mahatma Gandhi University||Kottayam|
|76||Maharshi Dayanand University (MDU)||Rohtak|
|78||Lovely Professional University||Jalandar|
|95||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU)||New Delhi|
Top Colleges Offering Distance Education for M.Ed
|Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University||Bhopal|
|Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University||Nashik|
|Acharya Nagarjuna University||Guntur|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||New Delhi|
Doctorate Teacher Training Courses
Doctorate courses deal with the scope of further enrichment of developmental aspects which can be possible in education and for the betterment of the future generation. These courses are mainly meant for research purposes only.
- PhD in Teaching is a full time course which can be of 3 years or more than that, depending on the subject of research and selected discipline.
- A candidate can continue researching on different fields along with the completion of their course.
Check: PhD in Physical Education
MPhil in Education is also offered by many colleges, but it is going to be discontinued as per the NEP 2020.
Top PhD Teacher Training Courses
These are the courses offered at doctorate level in India for teacher training.
|Course||Top College||DurationAverage Fees|
|PhD in Education||-Lovely Professional University -Tantia University -Banasthali University -Bhupal Nobles P.G. College of Physical Education -Desh Bhagat University||3-6 years||INR 9,000-3,16,000|
|M.Phil Education||-LPU Jalandhar -Savitribai Phule Pune University -Himachal Pradesh University -Annamalai University -Christ University -Dayalbagh Educational Institute||1 year||INR 12,000-80,000|
How are Admissions Conducted for PhD Teacher Training Courses?
- Admission is done for the students who have passed a Masters Degree in Teaching.
- These rounds include Entrance Tests and Personal interviews conducted by University.
- National Level Entrance exams like UGC NET, UGC CSIR NET, GATE, SLET, etc. are considered.
PhD Teacher Training Courses Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Conducting Body|
|UGC CSIR NET||September 16-18, 2020||NTA|
|PET 2020||September 2020 (Tentative)||BAMU|
|UGC NET 2020||September 16-25, 2020||NTA|
|CRET 2020||September 29-30, 2020||Allahabad University|
|DUET 2020||September 7, 2020||NTA|
Top Colleges for Doctorate Teacher Training Courses in India
These are some good colleges offering PhD in Education in India.
What are the Top Job Options after Teacher Training Courses?
There are various job roles after doing a teaching course as it involves some major important aspects of a person’s personality and some work ethics which are important for an organisation to work effectively.
Teacher who teaches the pre-primary section of a school and aware of all the behaviours, emotional and social requirements of the students of that age group.
Average Salary: INR 1.8-3.6 lakh
- Ability to handle children according to their need
- Knowledge of different activities in primary classes
- Level of understanding with the children.
Curriculum Developer for Primary
Curriculum Developer is a person who develops all the educational requirements for the primary class according to their cognitive development.
Average Salary: INR 2.5-5 lakh
- Knowledge of the developmental stages of a children
- Trained to how to deal with the everyday activities of children
- To create activities and games which are rich for development.
Librarian is the head of a library and manages all the records of the books , magazines, journals and other reading which are kept in a library.
Average Salary: INR 1-3 lakh
- Knowledge of categories of books and magazines
- Maintaining records
- Organisation of books in proper sequence and place.
Primary School Teacher
Teacher who teaches up to 5th grade in an educational institution and is aware of all the necessary requirements of the students of that age group.
Average Salary: INR 1-2 lakh
- Knowledge of primary school and its environment.
- Teaching experience for children of age group 5 to 12.
- Experience of dealing with students in terms of emotional, physical, social behaviour.
Consultant is an expert person who is considered for taking consultations related to some specific course, future education or higher education.
Average Salary: INR 2-4 lakh
- Aware of the current trends in the world
- Expert in Advices to various companies and firms to improve their performance
- Training of professional goals and ethics.
Associate Education Developer
Associate Education Developer is a person who manages all the important details regarding developing educational structure and the educational institution.
Average Salary: INR 4-6 lakh
- Knowledge of required materials and resources for the classroom.
- Training to train teachers.
- Awareness of state guidelines and rules that are important for school curriculum.
A lecturer is a person who gives lectures on important topics that are important for a particular age group or for some particular institute.
Average Salary: INR 5-9 lakh
- Teaching skills
- Pedagogical knowledge
- Evaluation and assessment methods.
- Research analysis
What Skills are Required for Teacher Training Courses Jobs?
Teaching is a profession which forms the bases for any nation’s education foundation. Therefore, there are certain skills which are important for a person to have in them while teaching to a person, in a school or in any institution.
The very most important skill for a teacher that helps them to communicate with their staff, students and other members as well. This helps to establish a cordial relationship with others for a teacher.
Top Online Courses for Communication Skills
|Effective Communication Techniques for Teachers and Trainers||Alison||1.5-3 hours||Free|
|Communication Fundamentals||Udemy||1.5 hours||INR 700|
|The Art of Connecting: Communication Skills Training for Teachers||Europass||2-3 hours per day||€ 480 (INR 41,252)|
|Teaching Communication Skills||edutopia||1.5 hours||Free|
Communication Skills Course Syllabus
|Communication Styles||Personality Styles|
|Social and Emotional Attitudes||Communication Fundamentals|
Job Profiles for Communication Skills
- Language Trainer
- Market Research Analyst
- School Counsellor
- Physical Therapists
- Customer Service Representative
Creativity is an important aspect for teaching as it gives new ways and ideas to elaborate their own understanding and to make the students understand about the concepts and topics according to their age group and understanding.
Top Online Courses for Creativity Skills
|Creativity and Innovation||VINSYS||Classroom based||INR 7,500|
|Managing The Creative Mindset||Copenhagen Institute of Neurocreativity||2 days||-|
|Creative Thinking Courses||Coursera||24 hours||Free|
Creativity Skills Course Syllabus
|Introduction to Creativity||Analyzing Personal Preferences|
|Assessing Your Preferred Approach to Thinking||Creative Awareness and Techniques|
|Creating Personal Creative Competencies||Issues Resolving Tricks|
|Collaborative Creative Skills||The Creative Environment|
|Group Creative Thinking||The Iterative Mind|
Job Profiles for Creativity Skills
- Craft Artist
- Multimedia Artist
- Media and Communication Workers
To provide a balance between different works, organisation is important. It helps to effectively complete the task and also create a positive image for the company which needs this skill.
Top Online Courses for Organizational Skills
|Organisational Skills||Reed||4 hours||£16.49 (INR 1,567)|
|Organisational Skills Training Course||iStudy||1 day 9 hours||£ 25.50 (INR 2,375)|
|Three Steps: Organizational Skills Course||Udemy||1.5 hours||INR 700|
Organizational Skills Course Syllabus
|Introduction to General Organization||Planning|
|Coordination Resources||Meeting Deadlines|
|Prioritizing||Tools to Fight Procrastination|
|SMART Goal Setting||Team Building|
Organizational Skills Job Profiles
- Travel Agent
- Sales Manager
- Event Planner
- Project Manager
- School Administrator
Teacher Training Courses: FAQs
Ques. Are the Degree/Diploma certification provided by IGNOU recognised?
Ques. What is the mode of payment in IGNOU?
Ques. What is the average salary for an Early Childhood Education Program Manager?
Ques. What is the option for higher education after Diploma in Teaching?
Ques. Does a college provide placement after B.ed courses?
Ques. Fees structure for teaching courses is more in which type of colleges?
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility for B.El.Ed?
Ques. What is MA Education?