AFCAT 2019 Registration (Open), Exam Dates, Eligibility, Syllabus
Indian Air Force has invited Indian citizens for the post of Group A Gazetted Officers in Flying and Ground Duty branches. The last date to apply online is December 30, 2018.
- The exam is scheduled for February 16 and 17 in CBT mode. Check AFCAT Exam Pattern
- Another component was added to AFCAT 2019 by the name of Engineering Knowledge Test (EKT).
- Class 12th students with minimum 60% marks are eligible to register at afcat.cdac.in. Check AFCAT Eligibility
- For this session, total 163 vacancies are offered under both branches.
- The syllabus is of graduation level, except question under Numerical Ability section. Check AFCAT Syllabus
Highlights of AFCAT 2019
|Exam Name||AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test)|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Exam Conducting Authority||Indian Air Force (IAF)|
|Posts Offered||Commissioned officers in flying branch, Ground Duty (technical) and Ground Duty (Non-technical) branch|
|Mode of Exam||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Sections||General Awareness, Numerical Ability, Reasoning & Military Aptitude and verbal Ability in English|
|Selection Procedure||AFCAT exam, AFSB Interview and Medical Test|
What is AFCAT?
- AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test) is an entrance test for aspirants willing to join Indian Air Force as Commissioned Officer in Flying, Ground Duty (Technical) and Ground Duty (Non-Technical).
- The examination is conducted twice a year in February and August.
- The test is conducted all across India by the Indian Air Force.
What is EKT under AFCAT exam?
- EKT or Engineering Knowledge Test is a meant to test candidate’s engineering knowledge.
- The test is compulsory for candidates applying for Technical Ground Duty branch.
- The subjects under this exam are Mechanical, Computer Science and Electrical & Electronics. Check EKT Syllabus and Books
AFCAT 2019 Exam Dates
The official dates for the exam is given below:
|Publishing of AFCAT 2019 notification||December 1, 2018|
|AFCAT 2019 Registration||December 1 – 30, 2018|
|Issue of AFCAT Admit card||February 2019|
|AFCAT 2019 exam date||February 16 and 17, 2019|
Download FreeSample Papers
|AFCAT Results||April 2019|
AFCAT 2019 Eligibility
Candidates who are willing to take AFCAT 2019 must check, whether they fulfill the desired eligibility criteria or not. The brief eligibility criterion for different branches/courses is mentioned below for your reference.
Nationality: Candidates must be a citizen of India.
Age Limit: It varies as per the branch viz.
- Flying Branch (AFCAT & NCC Entry): 20 – 24 years as on January 1, 2020 i.e. born between January 2, 1996 – January 1, 2000.
- Ground Duty (Technical and Non-Technical): 20 – 26 years as on January 1, 2020 i.e. born between January 2, 1994 – January 1, 2000.
- The DOB accepted by the IAF is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognised by an Indian University.
- Below 25 years must be unmarried at the time of commencement of course.
- Widows/ Widowers and divorcees below 25 yeards are not eligible.
- Flying Branch: minimum of 60% marks each in Math and Physics at 10+2 level.
- Graduation with min. 3 years degree in any discipline from a recoganised university with minimum 60% marks.
Know moreAFCAT Eligibility
AFCAT Application Form 2019
Application Form for AFCAT 2019 has been available in online mode only. No offline mode of submission of application is there. The step by step registration cum application process is mentioned below for your reference.
- Go to the official career website of Indian Air force.
- Click on Candidates login section.
- A new web page would be opened. Fill in the registration details asked for new users like name; e-mail ID, mobile number etc.
- Click on submit. A new registration ID and password would be sent to the registered E-mail address.
Application Form Filling
- Fill in the details as per the directions given on the webpage.
- Select the preference of branch, AFCAT Exam Center, Subject for EKT exam etc.
- Upload Your signature and Photograph (as per dimensions provided in the notification).
- Click on submit.
Payment of Application Fee
- After filling the online form, the exam fee of INR 250 has to be made through ‘Make Payment’ step on the main menu.
- This fee is non-refundable.
- The examination fee can be paid using credit/ debit cards/ net banking through the payment gateway.
Check detailedRegistration Process for AFCAT
AFCAT 2019 Admit Card
- The eligible candidates will be issued their e-admit card three weeks before the exam date.
- It will be sent to the registered email IDs and will also be available at www.careerindiaairforce.cdac.in.
- No offline mode is exercised to dispatch AFCAT 2019 Admit Card.
- To download the e-Admit Card, a candidate should have his/her Username and Password.
Candidates can download their AFCAT 2019 Admit Card by following the below- mentioned steps:
- Go to the Career Website of Indian Air force.
- Click on Candidates login section.
- A login window will appear.
- Type your E-mail ID and password to login and download the admit card.
- Window showing admit card will appear.
- Click on download admit card.
- After downloading the admit card take a printout of the same.
AFCAT 2019 Exam Center
- For this session, there are 104 locations for AFCAT 2019.
- Candidates must choose the centers at the time of registration.
- Make note that no crequest for change of center will be entertained by the authorities.
AFCAT Exam Pattern
Applicants who have duly submmitted their applications by due date will be called for AFCAT 2019, scheduled for February 16 and 17. Candidates opting for Ground Duty (Technical) branch have to appear in both AFCAT as well as Engineering Knowledge Test (EKT).
AFCAT 2019 Exam Pattern Highlights
|Exam||AFCAT||EKT (only for technical)|
|Mode of Exam||Online i.e. computer based||Online i.e. computer based|
|No. of Questions||100||50|
|Duration of Exam||2 hours (120 minutes)||45 minutes|
|Sections in Paper||General Awareness, Verbal Ability in English, Numerical Ability and Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test||Mechanical, Computer Science and Electrical & Electronics|
|Negative Marking||1 mark||1 mark|
Check detailedAFCAT Exam Pattern
AFCAT/ EKT Schedule
AFCAT and EKT will be conducted in two days as per the following schedule:
As per the notification, the standard of Numerical Ability Questions will be of Matriculation level. Whereas, the questions in other subjects will be of graduation level (Indian University). A brief of AFCAT syllabus is listed below:
- English – Comprehension, Error Detection, Sentence Completion/ Filling in of correct word, Synonyms, Antonyms and Testing of Vocabulary, Idioms and Phrases.
- General Awareness – History, Geography, Civics, Politics, Current Affairs, Environment, Basic Science, Defence, Art, Culture, Sports, etc.
- Numerical Ability – Decimal Fraction, Time and Work, Average, Profit & Loss, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion and Simple Interest, Time & Distance (Trains/Boats & Streams).
- Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test – Verbal Skills and Spatial Ability.
Check detailed AFCAT Syllabus
About AFCAT and EKT Practice Test:
- An online Practice Test (for AFCAT & EKT) is available on the IAF website i.e. https://careerindianairforce.cdac.in or https://afcat.cdac.in.
AFCAT Recommended Books
Candidates can refer to the general aptitude book for any other government exam for which aptitude portion is common with AFCAT. Candidates should also refer previous year AFCAT and EKT paper for more comprehensive and holistic understanding of the questions asked. The list of recommended books is tabulated below.
|Let’s Crack AFCAT||SSB Crack||819310871X|
|AFCAT Topic-wise Solved paper||Disha Experts||9385846744|
|Let’s Crack EKT||SSB Crack||8193108728|
CheckBest Books for AFCAT
AFCAT Result and AFSB Selection Process
The results of AFCAT 2019 would be announced in the month of May/June 2019 on the official website. The exact date for AFCAT Result announcement would be made public through AFCAT official notification. Candidates would be able to check their results by following the steps given below:
- Visit AFCAT 2019 official website.
- Click on AFCAT 2019 results.
- A Pdf containing roll number of selected candidate will appear.
- Download the Pdf.
- Search your Roll Number in list.
AFSB Selection Process
- IAF will prepare a list of candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks in the Online AFCAT as fixed by the IAF in their discretion.
- Candidates who are declared successful in the Online AFCAT will be called at one of the Air Force Selection Boards.
- Candidates who have applied for NCC Special Entry and Meteorology Branch will be directly called for AFSB testing at one of the AFSB centres.
- AFSB centres are at Dehradun (1 AFSB), Mysuru (2 AFSB), Gandhinagar (3 AFSB) and Varanasi (4 AFSB).
- Candidates who opt for flying branch can only opt for Dehradun, Mysore and Varanasi.
- Candidates are required to choose AFSB date and venue by themselves on the website https://careerindianairforce.cdac.in (OR) https://afcat.cdac.in in order to generate call- up letter for AFSB interview.
Final Merit List
- Candidates should secure the minimum qualifying marks separately in written examination and AFSB test as fixed by the IAF.
- The qualifiers names will be placed in the order of merit on the basis of the total marks secured by them in the written examination and in the AFSB tests.
- The form and manner of communication of the result of the examination to individual candidates will be decided by the IAF in their discretion.
- 10% of the vacancies are reserved for NCC Air Wing Senior Division 'C' certificate holders in Ground Duty (Technical and Non-technical) Branches.
- Allotment of PC/ SSC in Ground Duty (Technical and Non-technical) Branches would be based on number of vacancies, performance in the selection process and the choice given by the candidates.
AFCAT Vacancies (2019)
AFCAT Cut Off
The cut offs are expected to follow the general trend in AFCAT 2019 as well. The following table would be useful in estimating the cut off as for AFCAT 2019.
|Year||Cut Off Score|
|2011||85 (AFCAT 1)|
|2011||88 (AFCAT 2)|
|2012||135 (AFCAT 1)|
|2012||143 (AFCAT 2)|
|2013||144 (AFCAT 1)|
|2013||116 (AFCAT 2)|
|2014||128 (AFCAT 1)|
|2014||123 (AFCAT 2)|
|2015||126 (AFCAT 1)|
|2015||144 (AFCAT 2)|
|2016||132 (AFCAT 1)|
|2016||148 (AFCAT 2)|
|2018||150 (AFCAT 1)|
Official cut off would be published on the website after the completion of the exam cycle.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College