CAT 2018 Exam Date (Announced), Notification, Eligibility, Registration, Syllabus
CAT 2018 will be held on fourth Sunday of November i.e. November 25, 2018. Common Admission Test or CAT is a national-level management exam, conducted by one of the IIM’s on a rotational basis. It is a gateway to all 20 IIMs and other top B-schools in India. More than 2 lac candidates are expected to take CAT 2018 Exam.
The mystery of who will conduct CAT 2018 (IIM Calcutta or IIM Kozhikode) will be resolved once the notification is out in July. However, CAT 2018 Registration is expected to begin in the first week of August. Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks can register at the official website i.e. iimcat.ac.in.
CAT tests a candidate’s quantitative, verbal/reading, data interpretation and reasoning skills. The paper has 100 MCQ & Non-MCQ questions that are to be completed in 3 hours.As per the analysis for CAT 2018 by Collegedunia team, DILR is expected to be toughest, VARC to be moderate and QA should be the easiest. An attempt of total 63-67 will be considered good. CAT has a success rate of 1 in 200.
What is CAT 2018 Exam Date?
CAT 2018 Exam Date is November 25, 2018. Every year CAT is organized on fourth Sunday of November. Last year CAT was organized on November 24, 2018
When will CAT 2018 Notification be out?
CAT 2018 Notification will be released in first week of July. It will contain the details about CAT 2018 Application Date, changes introduced, application fee
What is CAT 2018 Application Date?
CAT 2018 Application Date is August 8, 2018. Registration can be done online at iimcat2018.ac.in. Candidates are usually given one month period to apply for the exam
Application fee for General category is Rs 1900 and for SC/ST and reserved category Rs 900/-.
CAT 2018- Latest News & Updates
- Following the footsteps of CAT Exam, Bihar School Examination Board has banned socks and shoes at its matriculation (Class X) exams that begin on February 21. CAT is following this policy since 2016.
- In a first, CAT 2017 question paper and answer keys were released and candidates were allowed to raise objections. It is expected to be same this year too.
- You can now calculate your probable rank. Check CAT 2018 Rank Predictor
- There is no central counselling held for old IIMs (B,L,A,C,K,I).
- The six newer IIMs (Raipur, Rohtak, Ranchi, Udaipur, Trichy and Kashipur) have replaced GD round with a common written analysis test to evaluate communication and comprehensive skill. The seven older IIMs did not announce plans to change the admission process.
What is CAT Exam?
|CAT 2018 Conducting Body||To be announced|
|CAT 2018 Official Website||iimcat.ac.in|
|CAT 2018 Syllabus||Quantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation, Data Sufficiency, Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Analytical Reasoning|
|CAT 2018 Exam Pattern||3 Hours (180 Minutes- 60 Minutes for Each Section)|
|CAT Exam Date 2018||November 25, 2018|
|CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria||Graduation with 50%|
|CAT Application Mode||Online|
|CAT 2018 Participating Institutes||IIMs, IITs, FMS, ISB and Other Management Institutes|
|Candidates Expected to Appear in CAT 2018||Over 2,00,000|
|Courses Offered||Admission to MBA/PGDM Courses|
|CAT Helpdesk||1800-2663-549 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
Geographical Diversity of Candidates in CAT
Going by the statistics of last year, most CAT registrants belonged to the northern part of India (29%). This was followed by southern (27%) and western (24%) regions.
Degree-Wise Student Bifurcation in CAT
Talking about the degree-wise bifurcation of students, most of them hold an engineering degree (62.7%). It is followed by a degree course (25%), Management Course (11.7%) and then the Medicine (0.6%).
CAT 2018 Notification
- The official notification for CAT 2018 is expected to release in July.
- The conducting body announces the schedule for CAT at the official website i.e. iimcat.ac.in.
- CAT 2018 Application Form is expected to release in the first week of August, while the exam will be conducted on November 25. The registration window for CAT exam is generally 1 month.
All exam related events and dates are mentioned below. Make sure you do not miss upon any of these.
|CAT 2018 Official Notification||July 29, 2018|
|CAT 2018 Application Form||August 9-September 25,2018|
|CAT 2018 Form Correction Window||September 27- September 30, 2018|
|Release of CAT Admit Card 2018||October 18 – November 25, 2018|
|CAT 2018 Exam Date||November 25, 2018|
|CAT Result Date 2018||Second Week of January 2019|
Check CAT 2018 Exam Dates
Who Can Apply for CAT?
- In order to be eligible for CAT Exam, an aspirant must be a graduate degree holder in any stream.
- Candidates appearing in the final year/semester of their degree program can also apply for CAT 2018.
- Candidates with CA/CS/ICWA degree (Gen: 50% & SC/ST/ PWD: 45%) are also eligible.
- As for CAT Age Limit, there is no minimum/ maximum limit defined. There is also no restriction on the number of attempts.
- The percentage requirement for the exam is different for different categories. It is explained in the table below:
|General and OBC||50%|
|Persons with Disabilities||45%|
Read More AboutCAT Eligibility
CAT Reservation Criteria 2018
A certain percentage of seats in IIMs are reserved for SC, ST, OBC and PWD candidates. The table given below provides an overview of the same:
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5|
|Non-Creamy – Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)||27|
|People with Disability (PWD)||3|
|Total Percentage of Reserved Seats||52.5|
Check HereCAT Reservation Criteria 2018
CAT 2018 Registration
Registration for CAT 2018 will run from August- September. Interested candidates can apply online at iimcat.ac.in.CAT Registration is usually a four-step process.
- Registration- Visit the official website of CAT and enter your email id, phone number, and date of birth.
- Fill CAT Application Form- This includes entering personal details, contact information, academic details, work experience, program preference and exam center preference.
- Upload Documents- Upload your scanned copies of documents such as Photograph, Signature, Category certificate and disability certificate according to CAT 2018 Photo Size, Dimension, Format and Other Details.
- Payment of Application Fee- CAT 2018 Application Fee can be paid online via net banking/credit card/debit card. Mentioned below is the category wise application fee for CAT 2018:
|Category||CAT 2018 Application Fee (in INR)|
CAT Application Form Status
- After CAT Application Form is finally submitted, an email, a pop-up message on the screen and a message on the registered mobile number are sent related to the status of the application.
- As the process of applying for CAT 2018 is completely online, no delay can occur during final submission.
- If the application form is successfully submitted, the application status is “Successfully Submitted” else “Application Rejected”
CAT Application Form Correction
- It may be possible that some of the candidates had entered incorrect details due to lack of proper information or documents.
- As CAT Exam is an important exam, the exam authority allows candidates to make corrections in in few entries only.
CAT Registration Trend
Candidates can check the number of applicants who applied for CAT and those who actually appeared from 2012-2017. The number of applicants has steadily increased, owing to its massive popularity among management aspirants in India as well as abroad.
Other Top Management Exams in India
CAT 2018 Admit Card
- Admit Card for CAT 2018 will be available from October onwards.
- Candidates can obtain CAT Admit Card in online mode only.
- CAT Hall Ticket contains personal details and exam related details such as test venue, session.
- It is a provisional document and must be supported at the test center with a valid photo id issued by Govt of India.
How to Download CAT Admit Card?
- Visit the official website of CAT i.e. www.iimcat.ac.in.
- Click on the “Existing User” tab.
- Enter your User Id and Password.
- Click on Login.
- You will be redirected to your candidate profile.
- Click on “Download CAT 2018 Admit Card” button.
- Save your admit card on your system and take a print out.
Discrepancy in CAT 2018 Hall Ticket
In case of any discrepancy found in CAT Admit Card, candidates can contact the exam authority for the corrections. They can contact the CAT Helpdesk at the following details-
Toll-Free Number: 1800-266-3549
Helpdesk email address: email@example.com
CAT 2018Exam Centers
- CAT is conducted in exam centers spread across around 140 test cities in India.
- Candidates are required to provide the preference of their exam centre while registering for CAT 2018.
- Preferences for up to 4 CAT test cities can be provided in the form. The time slot for CAT Examination is generally allocated randomly.
- CAT Exam Centers are available in all the major cities across India to accommodate the growing number of test-takers. Given below is a list of newly added CAT Exam Cities:
|Recently Added CAT Exam Center 2018|
|Bhatinda in Punjab||Purnea in Bihar||Waknaghat in Himachal Pradesh|
|Samba in J&K||Dharwad and Gulbarga in Karnataka||Ernakulam in Kerala|
|Ulhasnagar in Maharashtra||Dhenkanal in Odisha||Bankura in West Bengal|
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
CAT exam pattern is unpredictable and undergoes some changes each year. For now, no change in CAT 2018 Exam Pattern has been notified. However, modification in the level of difficulty of the exam is expected. The exam is scheduled for November 25.
Quick Highlights of CAT Exam Pattern are discussed below:
- CAT is a computer-based test which consists of three sections, i.e. Quantitative Ability, Verbal and Reading Comprehension, and Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning.
- It is a 3-hour duration exam, where one hour is assigned to each section.
- The paper has 100 questions of both MCQ and Non-MCQ nature.
- Around 70% – 75% of questions are multiple choice questions whereas the remaining 25%- 30% are non-MCQs.
- For every correct answer, a candidate is awarded +3 marks and -1 marks are deducted for each incorrect answer.
CAT 2017 Paper Analysis
The level of difficulty CAT 2017 was moderate. The order of the sections was fixed with a time limit of 60 minutes each. The following table represents the distribution of questions in each section of CAT 2017 exam-
|Section||No. of Questions||No. of non-MCQ questions||Difficulty Level||Good Attempts|
|Verbal Ability and Reading comprehension||34||7||Easy-moderate||26-27|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32||8||Difficult||12-14|
CAT Syllabus 2018
IIM’s do not release an official CAT Syllabus. However, based on previous year question papers, we have curated below the most frequently occuring topics. An in-depth knowledge of CAT 2018 Syllabus forms the basis of your preparation journey. It is designed to assess the prospective admission-seekers' suitability for MBA education. Read More MBA Education Loans for CAT Aspirants
Check below the most important topics for CAT Exam Preparation:
|Quantitative Ability||Data Analysis & Sufficiency||Logical Reasoning||Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension|
|Geometry||Graphs||Critical Reasoning||Verbal Reasoning|
|Arithmetic Progression||Column Graphs||Visual Reasoning||Syllogisms|
|Installment Payments||Bar Graphs||Assumption-Premise-Conclusion||Contextual usage|
|Ratios and Proportions||Line Charts||Assertion and reasons||Analogies|
|Arithmetic Mean||Pie Charts||Statements and assumptions||Sentence completion|
|Logarithm||Graphs representing Area||Matrix arrangements||Idioms|
|Work and Time||Venn Diagram||Coding and Decoding||Sentence Correction|
Check Complete CAT 2018 Syllabus
How to Prepare for CAT 2018?
CAT is one exam that requires a rigorous practice. The key to ace CAT Exam is to refer the most recommended and reliable books in the market. This is so because they are the best source to revise whole of the CAT syllabus, as well as include sets of most important questions.
Candidates often get confused in regard to which CAT Books or study material to refer to. They look for the material which all toppers have sworn by. This is bound to happen since their no dearth of CAT Preparation Books in the market. Given below are some of the Best Books for CAT Preparation 2018 :
|Section||Book Name||Author Name/Publisher|
|Quantitative Ability||How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT Common Admission Tests for Admission into IIMs||Sarvesh K. Verma|
|Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||CAT 2018 Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||Gautam Puri|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT||Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay/Arihant|
|30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary Mass Market Paperback||Wilfred Funk & Norman Lewis/ Simon & Schuster|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT||Sharma and Upadhyay|
|PSC for VA for CAT Exam|
Clcik Here About Cat Preparation Tips For Working Professionals.
CAT Result 2018
CAT 2018 Result is expected in the first week of January 2019. The conducting body of CAT 2018 will release the scorecards at the official website. An SMS will also be sent to all test-takers, informing them about their CAT Percentile. CAT Score is valid for 1 year.
The step-wise process to obtain CAT result is given below:
- Visit the official website of CAT
- Click on ‘Download CAT Score Card’.
- You will be redirected to the login page.
- Enter your User Id and Password.
- You will be redirected to your candidate’s account page.
- Click on Download Score card link and download it for future correspondence.
Highlights of CAT Result 2017
|Total candidates who appeared||1.99 lacs|
|Total non-engineers in top 20||3|
|Total women in top 20||2|
|Total women candidates||78,009|
|Total seats offered in IIMs||4,000|
Check CAT 2017 Toppers
CAT 2018 Rank Predictor
- CAT Result will be declared in January and candidates can check their score on the official website.
- However, candidates can use the CAT Percentile Predictor on Collegedunia.com to determine the ranks based on their respective percentiles.
- All the participating institutes release cut-offs for next rounds.
- They shortlist the candidates on the basis CAT percentile scores.
- Candidates can predict their scores using the Collegedunia percentile predictor provided below. It is an easy way to predict your scores beforehand, and choose a college accordingly.
Expected CAT Cut off 2018
- After the results are declared, each IIM will declare a separate cut off list for shortlisting candidates for the selection procedure.
- The cut off comprises an overall cut off and a sectional cut off.
- Sectional cut off is the percentile score a candidate must score in each section to qualify the exam.
- The overall cut off for the IIMs generally falls in the bracket of 90-99 percentile.
CAT 2018 Expected Cut Off for IIMs
|IIM||CAT Cut off in Percentile|
The following table represents a list of institutes based on CAT Cut off where we have classified IIMs and B-schools on the basis of the level of cutoffs from previous years’ trends-
|Rating||Level (Approx. CAT cut-off Percentiles for General)||Institutes|
|A+||I (CAT Percentile 98.5+)||IIM-A, IIM-B, IIM-C, IIM-L, IIM-I, IIM-K, IIM-S, FMS, MDI-PGPM, IIT- B, JBIMS|
|II (CAT Percentile 96.5+)||SPJIMR, IIT-D, NITIE-PGDIM, MDI-PGP HR/IM, IIM-RH, IIM-RN, IIM-RP, IIM-KS, IIM-UP, IIM-T|
|III (CAT Percentile 94.5+)||IIT-KH, IIT-KN, IIT-M, IIT-R, IISc-B, IIM-BG, IIM-N, IIM-V, IIM-Asr, IIM-Sam, IIM-Srm, MDI-M, IIM-A (ABM), IIM-L (ABM)|
|A||I (CAT Percentile 90+)||MICA, IMT-G/N, IMI-D, FSM, IRMA, TAPMI, KJSIMSR, UBS-CHD, SPJAIN-D/S, BIM, NIRMA, PUMBA|
|II (CAT Percentile 87+)||WIMDR-M, LBSIM, LIBA, IMI-K/B, GLIM, BIMTECH-PGDM/IB, IBS-ICFAI, MFC-DU, IFMR, MIB-DU, MHROD-DU, IMT-H|
|III(CAT Percentile 85+)||MISB, ISBM-P, AJKMCRC, WIMDR-B, BIMTECH-Retail/Insurance, IIFM, MBE-DU|
CAT 2018 Selection Procedure
The selection process of CAT is a two-step process. Candidates who qualify the cutoff marks are invited by CAT Colleges for GD or WAT and Personal Interview round. CAT Selection Process is carried out individually by each college, except for the new IIMs. The ratio for admission in IIMs and candidates shortlisted for selection is generally 1:4, but it varies for different IIMs.
It must be noted that there is no common Common Counselling Process for CAT. The process for form-filling for IIMs is done while preliminary registration for the exam.
Shorlisting Candidates for PI & WAT- Candidates are shortlisted with a weightage system, as given below:
|CAT 2018 Score||28|
|Class X Marks||10|
|Class XII Marks||10|
|TOTAL||50 (48 + 2 Gender Diversity Factor)|
Final Selection- For final selection, weightage of all the stages in selection process with work experience is calculated.
|Written Ability Test||5|
|Academic Diversity Factor for Bachelor's Degree (ADFB)*||2|
*Points awarded for Academic Diversity at Bachelor’s degree level (Academic Diversity Factor for Bachelor’s degree (ADFB)): Candidates with any of the following bachelor’s degree in the list below are eligible for ADFB:
List X: BA, BA(H), B.Sc, B.Sc.(H), BS, B.Com, B.Com(H), BCA, BBA, B.Pharma, LL.B, MBBS, BDS or any other Non-Engineering subject areas at the Bachelor’s level not mentioned above.
More About CAT 2018
CAT 2018 Convening Body
Each year, one of the IIM’s convene the CAT Exam. It is interesting to see the new changes they introduce with its structure and pattern. CAT 2017 was conducted by IIM Lucknow. It was after a gap of 6 years that IIM Lucknow was given this responsibility.
For CAT 2018, the convening body is yet to be disclosed. We will update you as soon as it gets official. For now, you can check below the CAT convening IIMs from the year 2013:
|2018||Ye to be announced|
Scholarships after CAT 2018
Don’t want to fund your MBA with an education loan? Get MBA admission through CAT and escape from the ever-rising MBA fees. Scholarships through CAT for MBA studies are categorized in Merit Based Scholarship and Need-Based Scholarship.
- Amity Business School- a) 100% Fees Waiver for candidates having 93% in 10th, Above 80% in 12th and Above 80% in Graduation. b) 5% Seat for 25% Candidates Securing more than 85 Percentile in CAT
- BIMTECH- 85% Percentile in CAT Scorecard
- IIM Ahmedabad- Scholarship worth One Lac on merit basis (selected after interview)
- IIM Ahmedabad Need-Based Scholarship for candidates having family income less than 200000
- GOI Merit Cum Means Scholarship for First Year and Second year top 10% rankers
Top Colleges Accepting CAT
CAT is conducted mainly for admission to MBA/PGDM programs offered at 20 IIMs. Apart from IIMs, other top management institutes like FMS, MDI, NTIE, SP Jain, Department of Management Studies at IITs, Manipal University, ITM Delhi, Chandigarh University and over 115 management B-schools also accept CAT score as qualifying criteria for their management programs. The cut off percentile for IIMs and other top institutes may be above 90 percentile.
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Calcutta
- Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras
- IIM Lucknow
- IIM Kozikhode
- IIM Indore
- Vinod Gupta school of Management, IIT Kharagpur
- FMS Delhi
Check all CAT Colleges
Courses Offered through CAT
On the basis of CAT score, candidates can take admission to the following courses offered by 20 IIMs and other top B-schools in India:
|Different Courses Offered by IIMs|
|PGPEM (Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management)||PGP-UAE (Post Graduate Programme at UAE)|
|PGPBM (Post Graduate Programme in Business Management)||PGP-ABM (Post Graduate Programme in Agri-Business Management)|
|PGP (Post Graduate Programme)||PGP-Mumbai (Post Graduate Programme at Mumbai)|
|PGPWE (Post Graduate Programme for Working Executive)||PGPEX (Post Graduate Programme for Executives)|
|PGPPM (Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy and Management)||PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management)|
|EPGPM (Executive Post Graduate Programme)||PGDHRM (Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management)|
|PGPSM (Post Graduate Programme in Securities Markets)||-|
CAT 2018 FAQs
Ques. When is CAT 2018 scheduled to take place?
Ans. IIM Lucknow will conduct CAT 2018 on November 26. The exam will take place in online mode. Nearly 2 lac candidates are expected to sit for the exam.
Ques. Is there an option to write CAT in offline mode?
Ans. No, as per the directives issued by the authorities, CAT 2018 exam is conducted in online mode only. However, CAT was conducted in offline mode till 2009.
Ques. How many seats are expected to be filled through CAT 2018 in the top IIMs?
Ans. As per the new ordinance passed in 2016, there are 4300 seats that were filled in the academic year 2016-17.There is no increase in the number of seats this year, so it is expected to remain the same.
Ques. How many registrations are received for CAT 2018?
Ans. There are approximately 2.3 lac students who have registered for CAT 2018.
Ques. Is there any reservation of seats for female candidates in IIMs like we have in GATE?
Ans. No, there is no reservation policy defined for female category candidates. Although it was proposed in 2015, no further report on the same came out.
Ques. Can you give details of seat matrix for IIMs in the country for the year 2018?
Ques. When is the form correction window for CAT 2018 application form?
Ans. You can edit the information provided in your CAT 2018 application form between September 27- September 30 only. This option can be exercised on CAT 2018 Official Website.
Ques. How many institutes in total are considering CAT Scores this year?
Ans. This year there are around 100 colleges and 20 IIMs are considering CAT score for their admission process.
Ques. Do I have to fill the application form separately for each CAT College?
Ans. YES, apart from 20 IIMs, you need to fill the application form separately for each of the participating institutes. You need to fill the application forms for all the institutes in which you wish to apply on the basis of the CAT 2018 result.
Ques. If I do not clear the minimum CAT 2018 Cutoff, will I still be eligible for admission?
Ans. You need to clear the minimum cut off for further admission process. If you fail on this step, you cannot get admission in any of the IIMs. However, some private college might invite you depending upon their admission rules.
Ques. When will I receive my CAT 2018 admit card?
Ans. Authorities are not sending CAT admit card 2018 manually, so best to download online through the official website in the time slot defined. It can be last downloaded till November 26.
Ques. In case I misplace my admit card at the exam center, can I download the CAT admit card at the exam center?
Ans. Yes, you must contact the authorities at the exam center and report the incident to them. They will help you with downloading the duplicate admit card.
Ques. What stationery items can I carry on the day of CAT exam?
Ans. Candidates DO NOT have to carry any stationery items. You will be given a pen and paper at the exam center itself, which have to be returned before you leave the exam hall.
Ques. Is there any traveling allowance issued to the candidates of reserved categories for CAT 2018 exam?
Ans. NO TRAVELLING ALLOWANCE is issued to candidates, whether from reserved or non- reserved categories.
Ques. What is the last time to enter CAT exam center on the exam day?
Ans. Students in the morning shift will not be allowed to enter the exam center premises after 8.45 am, and for evening shift the deadline time is 2:15 pm.
Ques.Can you give me a list of items that are banned to be carried at the CAT 2018 exam center?
Ans. Students are not allowed to carry the following items at the exam center:
- Mobile Phones
- Pen, pencil
- Books/ chits/ sheets/ clips
- Electronic Gadgets
Ques. Is it true that students are not allowed to take bio- breaks during CAT exam hours?
Ans. Yes, it is funny but an important point issued by the authorities that no- bio breaks are allowed during the exam time.
Ques. What support are PwD candidates getting while writing the CAT 2018 exam?
Ans. You will get the following privileges while writing CAT Exam:
- Scribe/ reader- candidates suffering from visual impairment or cerebral palsy are allowed to bring a scribe as an assistant, who has filled or submitted affidavits which ensure scribe’s authenticity.
- Other allowed devices- an abacus without a calculator is allowed to candidates suffering from visual impairment or hearing impairment.
Ques. What items are to be carried on the day of CAT 2018 exam?
Ans. A candidate needs to carry CAT 2018 admit card, along with a valid photo ID proof.
Ques. Can you give a list of items that can work as valid photo Id proof?
Ans. The following documents are accepted as the photo Id proof:
- College ID
- Employer ID
- Driving License
- PAN Card
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card
- Identification Affidavit
Ques. What fields can be corrected in CAT application form 2018?
Ans. CAT authorities are allowing only the following fields to be edited from this year onwards:
- Programs selected
- Percentage of marks scored
- Work experience
Rest, cannot be edited within the form correction window. So best to preview the application form before hitting the final submit button.
Ques. What steps to follow to edit details in my CAT application form 2018?
Ans. Following steps have been defined by the authorities to edit the application form:
- Open the official CAT website 2018.
- Click on the “existing user” tab.
- Log in to the portal with the username and password.
- Check the date supplied in the fields.
- Edit the information that needs to be corrected.
- Click on “save “and continue once the whole form has been edited.
Ques. Are transgender candidates allowed to write the CAT exam?
Ans. Yes, since 2015, transgender candidates are allowed to write CAT exam. All the rules ply on them as is.
Ques.What is the minimum academic eligibility criteria for writing CAT 2018?
Ans. A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institute is compulsory and mandatory for writing the CAT 2018 exam, this must meet the minimum percentage requirement of 55% in the qualifying examination.
Ques.What information do I need to keep handy before filling the CAT application form?
Ans. The following information must be kept handy before CAT Registration:
- Candidate’s name
- Candidate’s DOB
- A valid email address
- Educational history
- Mark sheet of the previous qualifying examinations
- Additional certificates to be uploaded
- Scanned images of the passport size photo
- List of IIMs in the order of application
Ques.What details are asked in CAT Application Form?
Ans. You will find the following fields in the form:
- Personal details
- Academic details
- Work experience
- Payment of application fee
Ques. I have worked as a part time employee with a management firm. Will my experience be counted during CAT Registration?
Ans. No, your experience will not be counted, ONLY FULL TIME JOB EXPERIENCE AFTER COMPLETING GRADUATION is considered as WORK EXPERIENCE.
Ques.What are the dimensions for the photograph to be uploaded with the CAT application form?
Ans. Only a scanned copy of the photograph and signature is accepted if it meets the following criteria:
|Pass port size photograph||upto 80KB||30mmX 45mm .jpg or .jpeg. minimum resolution of 150 px/ inch.|
|Signature||upto 80 Kb||80mmx 35mm, .jpg or .jpeg. minimum resolution of 150 px/ inch.|
Ques.Can CAT application fee be paid in offline mode by bank challan?
Ans. NO, application fee has to be paid in the online mode only, by the help of credit/debit card or internet banking. No other mode of payment even in the online mode is accepted.
Ques.What documents do I have to upload with my CAT application form?
Ans. A candidate has to upload compulsorily following set of documents with their CAT 2018 application form:
- A recent scanned photograph
- Scanned image of the signature
- SC/ST/OBC certificate must be signed by competent bodies and must be self attested, and then scanned and uploaded.
- PWD/DA certificate must be signed by authorities and self attested thereof, thus scanned and uploaded.
Ques.Do I have to send a hard copy of the completely filled CAT application form to the authorities?
Ans. No, you do not have to send any copy of the application form, however you must keep one print out for yourself ready.
Ques.Can the details in the application form be edited after paying the CAT application fee?
Ans. No, only the information can be edited before the payment of application fee. Some fields can be edited after the payment of application fee but some will be frozen so cannot be altered. The system thus provides you the freedom to log in multiple times and fill the details before hitting the final submit button.
Ques.How to contact CAT helpdesk in case of some emergency?
Ans. You can contact the authorities by the following methods:
Toll free number: 1-800-266-3549
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ques. What is the minimum age requirement for appearing for the CAT 2018 exam?
Ans. There is no minimum age bar defined for writing CAT entrance exam.
Ques. Are students in the final year of examination eligible to apply for Common Admission Test?
Ans. Yes, students can apply but their admission on the basis of their CAT result will be provisional un till they produce their final year graduation marksheet.
Ques. Is graduation degree from an Open University or correspondence recognized and accepted for CAT eligibility criteria?
Ans. It will be accepted only if it falls in one of the following categories:
- Any Qualification recognized by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi, equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree awarded by UGC recognized University/Institutionswill be regarded as “Equivalent Qualification”.
- In case the equivalent qualification possessed by the candidate is not covered in those mentioned above, then he/she will have to get an equivalence certificate from Association of Indian Universities New Delhi
Ques. How many non- MCQ type questions can I expect in my CAT 2018 question paper?
Ans.The following table will help you with the details of the MCQ and non- MCQ questions distribution:
|Section||QA||DI & LR||QA|
|Number of questions||34||32||34|
Ques. Can you give me the exam pattern of CAT 2018 in brief?
Ans. Read below the highlights:
- There are total 100 questions divided among the three sections.
- Candidates have to finish the exam in 3 hours or 180 minutes.
- CAT is a computer based test or exam.
- Candidates cannot switch between sections.
- Question paper is printed in English only.
- TITA question must be attempted carefully.
Ques. Is there a marking scheme for non-MCQ questions in CAT 2018 exam?
Ans. There is no marking scheme defined for non-MCQ/ TITA questions, but the marks awarded if you type the answer accurately will add to your percentile.
Ques. What is the marking scheme defined for MCQ type questions in CAT?
Ans. As per the marking scheme, 3 marks are awarded for every correct answer and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer.
Ques. Can you list some important topics for preparing the QA section in CAT?
Ans. Yes, you must prepare the following important topics for QA:
- Number system
- Permutation and combination
- Set theory, trigonometry and logarithms
Ques. Can you list the topics to prepare for the Verbal and Reading comprehension section?
Ans. On the basis of the previous years analysis following topics must be prepared as part of CAT VRC syllabus:
- Fact Inference Judgment
- Fill in the blanks
- Para Completion
- Para Jumble
- Sentence Correction
- Verbal Reasoning
- Word Usage (Vocabulary)
Ques. How can I check my CAT result online?
Ans. A simple 4 step process to check the CAT result online is as follows:
- Open the official website: iimcat.ac.in.
- Look for the link that reads “CAT 2018 result”.
- Click on the link and provide the details of the username and password.
- Click on submit button and your CAT score card 2018 is displayed on screen.
Ques. Can you give the details of interview cut off percentile for the year 2016?
Ans.The cut off percentile for the year 2016 is as follows:
|Institute||Interview cut off percentile||Cut off percentile stated in admission criteria|
Ques. I am in my final year of Bachelor‘s Degree. What marks should I enter while filling CAT Application Form?
Ans. You have to mention the marks as per the last marksheet you have received from the University.
Ques. Is there any maximum age cap for CAT exam?
Ans. No, there not age limit criteria for appearing in CAT.
Ques. Can I appear for multiple slots for CAT?
Ans. No, a candidate can take exam only in one time slot.
Ques. I have done a dual degree programme i.e. B.Tech+M.Tech. I am confused about how to enter my marks nder qualification column?
Ans. Mention your graduation marks in Bachelor’s degree column and Master’s marks in master degree’s column.
Ques. I did not have a graduation degree, However I have completed a professional degree, Can I apply for CAT?
Ans. No, only candidates who are graduate from a recognized University can apply for CAT. No, professional degree is accepted as a graduation degree.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College