The Common Admission Test is conducted in two sessions on a single day, to maintain equality in scores, candidates must be aware of the method of CAT Score Calculation. The marks of all examinees are calculated through a normalization process. This helps in equating marks, allotting ranks and identifying candidate’s scores across multiple forms. Check CAT Cutoff 2018
Latest:Candidate’s response sheet released at CAT’s official portal. Check the same using your login credentials.
- The regulating body will release CAT Answer Keys 2018 in December 2018.Know more
- IIM Calcutta concluded CAT 2018 on November 25 in CBT mode. Download CAT Admit Card
- The results are expected to be published in the first week of January 2019.
- Using our Rank Predictor for CAT, check where all you can apply for admissions.
All the CAT test takers can go through the following article and understand the procedure that is followed while calculating the CAT percentile and scores.
CAT Normalization Process 2018
- Exam creation is a set of statistically-profiled questions. These questions are of comparable difficulty. These varied questions with the same difficulty levels are used in re-scaling candidate’s score to the metric of the item bank.
- These questions are analyzed properly and their difficulty level is put in a common metric.
- Then, the raw score of the candidate is scaled and scores are established accordingly. This helps in awarding ranks to the candidates.
- Percentile rank is equated on the basis of percentage score that falls below a certain specified score.
- With the total scale scores arranged in rank order from the lowest to highest in 100 equally sized groups, a table with the total scale scores to percentile ranks will be created.
- After the scores are identified and arranged, high scoring candidate’s name will be identified from the top among high scorers and subsequent list of low scorers.
- CAT percentile decides the rank of a management aspirant, relative to the rest of the aspirants who appeared for the same MBA entrance exam. The basic idea of the CAT percentile is to tell you what percent of the students have scored less than you in the examination.
CheckCAT Result 2018
The overall scores of CAT 2018 will be sorted and respective CAT percentile is allotted by simple calculation mentioned below:
Calculation of CAT Percentile
CAT Percentile = [1 – (Your Rank in CAT 2017/Total Number of Candidates taking CAT 2017)] * 100
If the total number candidates who will be appearing for CAT 2017 exam is 1, 00,000 and you score a CAT rank 2017 of 3,500 then your CAT percentile will be calculated as below:
Your CAT 2016 Percentile = [1 – (3500/1, 00,000)] * 100 = 96.5
The above percentile means that 96.5 percent of the students writing the CAT exam shall have the CAT score below you.
No candidate can score an absolute 100 percentile in CAT exam because CAT Percentile indicates what percent of students you are ahead of, including yourself. Also, the CAT percentile is calculated up to three decimal places and it then rounded off to the next closest possible number.
CAT 2018 Scoring Process
- CAT scores are sub-normalised on the basis of three parts of the exam- Quantitative Reasoning, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Verbal and Reading Comprehension.
- CAT exam score, which is valid for one year only, is converted into percentile form and the best scorer is highlighted at the top to up the level of competitiveness.
- A candidate is awarded three marks each for correct answer.
- However, it also applies negative marking, since one mark each is deducted for every wrong answer.
- Candidates may note that no mark will be deducted for an unanswered question.
- CAT score helps in short-listing of the eligible candidates for further rounds.
Development of CAT Exam
CAT exam which is conducted on multiple days at multiple time slots generally maintains a uniform level of difficulty throughout the examination process. CAT Exam is designed in a manner which makes it difficult for candidates to answer all the questions correctly and thus chances for a perfect score are minimal.
How is CAT Exam Equated?
Equating CAT follows a psychometric process in order to adjust differences in difficulty level. The process is followed to keep a tab on comparable metric and be justified to candidates who test across multiple days. There are three phases in equating the CAT Exam:
- Raw scores are calculated where three mark each is awarded for a correct answer and one mark each is deducted for every wrong answer.
- Through an equating process, raw scores are adjusted for variances in difficulty levels across the different test forms. Then through statistical properties candidates’ performance is judged on same questions asked in two or more different forms. These equating measures help to adjust raw marks accordingly.
- Equating blocks in placing the equated scores on a common scale and create a range of scores which help in creating percentile rank.
Read CAT Marks vs Percentile
CAT 2018 Percentile Predictor
- CAT Result will be declared in January on the official website.
- However, candidates can use the CAT Percentile Predictor on Collegedunia.com to determine the ranks based on their respective percentiles, before the result is out.
- All the participating institutes will shortlist candidates on the basis CAT Cutoff.
- Hence, CAT Rank Predictor helps predict your scores beforehand, and choose a college accordingly.
We hope this article was helpful in learning about CAT Score Calculation. CAT 2018 is scheduled in November, while the result will be out in January 2019. We wish you luck!
Overall CAT Percentile – CAT 2017
|Total Marks In 300||Correct Questions||Percentage||Percentile|
CheckIIM CAT Cut offs
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College