UGC NET 2019 Notification (Released), Dates, Registration, Syllabus, Results
National Testing Agency has scheduled UGC NET 2019 (June session) from June 20 to 28. The results for December 2018 session were released on December 5 at ntanet.nic.in. Candidates can still check their scores using their User ID & Password. Check now!
- The June session exam will also be conducted in online (computer based) mode. Check Exam Pattern for UGC NET
- The exam is conducted for over 84 subjects and the selected candidates are placed across the country in over 874 Universities.
- For the upcoming session, NTA has updated the syllabus for Paper I on General Awareness. Check UGC NET Syllabus
Unlike earlier, there will be no break between paper I and paper II in UGC NET June 2019. The exam will be conducted in a single three-hour session. Highlights of the same are tabulated below:
|Paper||Marks | No. of Ques.||Duration/ 1st Shift||Duration/ 2nd Shift|
|I||100 | 50||1 hour|
(9.30 am to 10.30 am)
(2.30 pm to 3.30 pm)
|II||200 | 100||2 hours|
(10.30 am to 12.00 pm)
(3.30 pm to 5.30 pm)
NTA was appointed as the governing body of UGC NET in December 2018. The exam is conducted to select candidates for the position of Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor. Registration window will become functional from March 1, apply online at NTA website.Know more
UGC NET December 2018 Session #Key Highlights
For this session, around 9,56,837 candidates registered for UGC NET. The qualifying stats for each post are:
- Assistant Professor: 44001
- JRF and Assistant Professor both: 3883
The number of seats available varies every year based on the requirements of the university. University Grant Commission validates and inspects the universities in India before finalising on the vacancy positions.
- Number of applicants: 8 lakhs
- Number of courses: 84
- Number of universities: 874 (break-up of the universities are given below)
- State Universities: 391
- Deemed to be Universities: 125
- Central Universities: 47
- Private Universities: 311
Highlights of UGC NET 2019
|Exam Type||National Eligibility Test|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Mode of Exam||Online (Computer-based)|
|Medium||English or Hindi|
|Duration||3 hours (Paper 1: 1 hour, Paper 2: 2 hours)|
|Type | Number of Questions||MCQs | 150 questions|
|UGC NET Helpdesk||8076535482, 7703859909 | email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
Changes Introduced in UGC NET 2019
This year, NTA has introduced some changes in the paper pattern and eligibility criteria. Find below the changes introduced in detail:
- Up till recently, CBSE was responsible to conduct UGC NET on behalf of University Grants Commission.
- But with the commissioning of the autonomous National Testing Agency (NTA) under the aegis of Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India, the test will be delivered by the latter.
- In fact, from December 2018 NTA will organise the examination.
New Exam Pattern for UGC NET June 2019
- In December session 30 minutes break was given to the candidates between paper I and Paper II. In this session, no break will be given in the papers.
- UGC NET will comprise only two papers- Paper 1 and Paper 2. Earlier, the exam included three papers.
- Total Number of Questions- 150 (Paper 1- 50, Paper 2- 100)
- It is mandatory to attempt all the questions from both the papers.
- Paper 2 will cover syllabi of both Paper 2 and Paper 3 as per the previous pattern of UGC NET.
Eligibility Criteria for JRF Aspirants
- The upper age for the Junior Research Fellowship was 28 years earlier.
- However, it has been increased by two years for the candidates who belong to the General Category.
- The present upper age limit is 30 years for the candidates of General Category.
- For reserved category, it is set at 35 years.
UGC NET 2019 Exam Dates
The official schedule of the examination for June 2019 and December 2018 session is available at ntanet.nic.in. Tabulated below is the same:
|Event||December 2018 (Over)||July Session (Ongoing)|
|UGC NET 2019 Exam Notification||September 1, 2018||February 4, 2019|
|Availability of Online Application Form||September 1 – 30, 2018||March 1 – 30, 2019|
|Availability of UGC NET Admit Card||November 19, 2018||May 15, 2019|
|UGC NET 2019 Exam Date||December 18 – 22, 2018||June 20 – 28, 2019|
|Availability of Answer Key & OMR Sheet||January 6, 2019||July 2019|
|Result Declaration||January 10, 2019||July 9, 2019|
Check detailedUGC NET January 2019 Shifts
UGC NET Eligibility
In order to apply for UGC NET 2019, candidates will have to fulfill certain eligibility conditions. The eligibility is based on the academic qualification and age limit.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 55% in their PG or an equivalent from any recognised university.
- UGC NET offers an exemption to candidates from the Other Backward Classes (OBC)/ ST/SC categories for up to 50%.
- NTA permits students in the final year of the course to apply for the exam. However, candidates will be disqualified if they fail to secure the marks as indicated by the Board.
- The board offers an additional 5 % relaxation to candidates who have completed their Doctorate degree before September 19, 1991.
- Candidates are recommended to select courses of their specialty.
- Candidates applying for Junior Research Fellowship should not be more than 30 years as on January 1, 2019.
- There is no upper age limit for candidates for Assistant Professor’s post.
- NTA provides relaxations to candidates belonging to reserved categories.
- OBC-NCL/ SC/ ST/ PWD/Transgenders/ Women applicants – 5 years relaxation
- Candidates with research experience in the selected field from a recognised university – 5 years
- Candidates with LLM Degree – 3 years
- Candidates with the below qualification/ degree shall be exempted from attending NET and can directly apply to any college
- Candidates who have passed in UGC / CSIR JRF before 1989
- Candidates who have passed States Eligibility Test(SET) before June 1, 2002
Check detailedUGC NET Eligibility
UGC NET Application Form
By following the steps given below, students can fill the online form:
- Visit the official website link of UGC NET i.e. ntanet.nic.in OR nta.ac.in
- Click on the link related to “Apply for NET June 2019”.
- Go through the “New Candidate Registration” section.
- Click on the “Apply for June 2019” option.
- Read all the instructions carefully and click on “Proceed to Apply Online”.
- The authentication form will be opened on the screen.
- Enter details like Nationality, State/UT which you belongs, Select Identification Type, Identification Number, Candidate’s Name, DOB, Gender, etc.
- After filling the details, click on the “Submit” button.
- Once the authentication process is done, candidates can proceed to fill the application.
- Candidates have to fill all the required details in the application form.
- After submitting the details, an Application Number will be generated.
- Upload the scanned images of the latest photograph and signature in the prescribed format.
- Now, pay the application fee through online or offline method.
- After completing the fee payment, candidates have to take the printout of the confirmation page and keep it safe.
The application fee determined by NTA varies according to the category of the candidate. Candidates can pay the fees in both online and offline mode
- Candidates can make the payment through Debit Card / Credit Card and Net Banking
- Candidates will have to enter the sixteen-digit number on the top of the card, name and CVV
- The bank will send an OTP for verification purposes
- Additional charges will be added as interest to the bank
- Candidates will have to download the challan from the website
- Fill in the application form, Name and the exam applied details
- The challan can be paid in Syndicate/Canara/ICICI bank of India
- Candidates will have to enter the challan number for completion of registration process.
Steps to Fill UGC NET 2019 Application Form
Applicants are advised to make the payments well in advance to avoid any unforeseen circumstances and events. The examination fees for various categories will be as follows:
|Other Backward Class (non – creamy layer)||INR 400|
|SC / ST / PwD||INR 200|
UGC NET Admit Card
The admit card for UGC NET will be released in the 3rd week of November 2018. Candidates can access the admit card on the official website- ntanet.nic.in. Candidates must note that no admit card will be sent individually by post. The details printed on UGC NET 2019 Admit card include Name, Category, Address of the Examination Center, Photograph and Signature, Date & Timing of the examination, etc.
Candidates can download their admit cards from the website by following the steps given below:
- Visit the official website.
- Click on the link “Click Here for Login for Admit Card”.
- Now, you have to login with “Application Number” & “Password”.
- Click on the “Login” button.
- The admit card will appear on the screen.
- Download the admit card.
- Keep the printout of the admit card for further reference.
UGC NET Exam Centers
The exam will be conducted in over 91 exam cities this year, candidates must fill in their preferences carefully while filling UGC NET 2019 Application Form. Find the map below to know examination centres across the country.
Time Schedule for UGC NET (June 2019 session)
|Date of Examination||From June 20 – 28, 2019|
|Timing of Exam||9.30 am – 12.30 pm|
|Duration of Exam||Paper I + Paper II: 3 hours|
|Entry in the Exam Center||7.30 am – 8.30 am|
|Entry in the Exam Hall||8.45 am – 9.00 am|
|Checking of Admit Cards by Invigilator||9.00 am – 9.15 am|
|Sitting on seat in the Exam Hall||9.15 am|
|Instructions by the Invigilators||9.15 am – 9.25 am|
|Commencement of NET Exam||9.30 am|
|To attempt Paper I + Paper II (Ques. 1 to 150)||(-)|
|Test Concludes||1.30 pm|
UGC NET Dates and Shifts Schedule
|Date | Day||Shift 1||Shift 2|
|June 20 | Thursday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
|June 21 | Friday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
|June 24 | Monday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
|June 25 | Tuesday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
|June 26 | Wednesday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
|June 27 | Thursday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
|June 28 | Friday||9.30 am – 1.00 pm||2.30 pm – 6.00 pm|
UGC NET Exam Pattern
The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be conducted on the same day in two separate sessions as under:
- First (Paper-1): 100 Marks (50 out of which 50 questions all are compulsory)
- Second (Paper-2): 200 Marks (100 questions all are compulsory)
- In Paper 1: questions which will be of general nature, intend to assess the teaching/research aptitude of the candidate. They will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate
- In Paper 2: questions be based on the subject selected by the candidate. All the questions will be compulsory, covering entire syllabi of earlier Paper II & Paper-III (including all electives, without options).
Check UGC NET Exam Pattern
UGC NET Syllabus (Updated)
The syllabus of the National Eligibility Test (NET) is different for each subject offered. It is suggested to prepare from the syllabus of their qualifying examination. Candidates must prepare as per the syllabus prescribed by the CBSE/ NTA.
Latest: The Commission has updated the syllabus of all NET subjects (including Paper I on General Awareness). The updated syllabus (June session) is available on the website: https://www.ugcnetonline.in/syllabus-new.php. Check Official Notification
Paper 1 will cover the following areas:
- Teaching Aptitude
- Research Aptitude
- Reading Comprehension
- Reasoning (including Mathematical)
- Logical Reasoning
- Data Interpretation
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- People and Environment
- Higher Education System: Governance, Polity and Administration
Paper 2 will have syllabus from specific subjects as chosen by the candidates for UGC NET 2019. Check Detailed UGC NET Syllabus
Best Books to Prepare for UGC NET 2019
The reference books will vary for each subject and a few important books are:
|Name of the Book||Publisher/Author|
|Trueman’s UGC NET/ SLET General Paper I||Danika Publishing Company|
|UGC NET/ JRF/ SLET General Paper||Arihant Publisher|
|UGC NET /JRF /SLET Teaching & Research Aptitude||Upkar Publishers|
|UGC NET/SET Paper 1||Mc Graw Hill Education|
|CBSE UGC NET: Teaching and Research Aptitude- JRF & Assistant Professor Exam Guide (Paper 1)||Ramesh Publishing House|
|Trueman’s UGC NET Paper 1 (Hindi)||Trueman Publishers|
|UGC NET/JRF/SLET General Paper 1- Shikshan Avum Shodh Abhiyogita||Arihant Publishers|
|UGC NET Teaching and Research Aptitude: Previous Paper & Test Papers||RPH|
|13 Years Solved Papers UGC NET/SET Teaching & Research Aptitude General (Paper 1)||GK Publishing|
UGC NET Previous Year Question Papers
the previous year question papers for UGC NET can help candidates prepare better for the upcoming exam. Download free sample papers and mock test from here.
Answer Key for UGC NET 2019
Soon after the exam concludes, candidates can look for the answer keys on the official website of UGC NET. The pdf file will indicate all the right answers to the questions asked in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the exam.
Note that the number of questions to be attempted compulsorily is 150. The steps to download answer keys are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UGC NET i.e. ntanet.nic.in
- On the website homepage, search for the important links section
- Under the section, select the particular year.
- Students will be redirected to another page
- Click on the desired answer key link
UGC NET Results 2019
The results for UGC NET 2019 will be declared soon after the exam is conducted. Candidates will have the option to lodge their grievances after the answer keys are released. Note that no grievances are entertained after the final result declaration.
How to Check UGC NET Result 2019?
- Go to the official website of NTA NET.
- Click on that link and you will be redirected to the home page of the website.
- Click on UGC NET 2019 Result on the menu bar.
- Enter your roll number and date of birth and click on the submit button.
- Your result will appear in the pdf format.
- Download it and take a printout of the result for further process.
Procedure of UGC NET 2019 Result Declaration
The selection of eligible candidates is based on certain layouts as decided by UGC. The candidates have the following opportunities on clearing UGC NET 2019:
- Those who qualify for the award of Junior Research Fellowship are eligible to pursue research in the subject of their post-graduation or in a related subject.
- The universities, institutions, IITs and other national organizations may select the JRF awardees for whole time research work.
- For Assistant Professor, the number of candidates to be qualified (total slots) will be equal to 6% of the candidates appeared in both the papers of NET.
- For both JRF and Assistant Professor and for Eligibility for Assistant Professor only, the candidate must have appeared in both the papers and secured at least 40% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together.
UGC NET Cut off
University Grant Commission has defined a set of scores which the candidate has to score in order to qualify. Candidate has to score the minimum cut off in all the papers. The cut off is determined based on each category. The percentage for each paper for different categories in 2017 was as follows
|Category||Paper I||Paper II||Paper III|
|General||40 %||40 %||50 %|
|OBC / PwD / SC / ST||35 %||35 %||40 %|
NTA UGC NET (June Session) FAQs
Question: In how many subjects will the exam be conducted?
Answer: NTA will conduct the exam in total 84 subjects at 91 examination cities spread across the country.
Question: How many papers do we have to qualify?
Answer: Unlike last year, from this year onwards, students will have to qualify only two papers (Paper 1 & Paper 2).
Question: What is the maximum age limit to apply for NTA UCG NET 2019?
Answer: The maximum age limit for appearing in the examination has been increased by two years, and now it is 30 years. Candidates having age more than 30 years will not be permitted to give the exam.
Question: What is the validity of UCG NET score?
Answer: The validity of UCG NET e-certificate is life time, however, the validity of JRF Letter of Award is only two years after the results are declared.
Question: Can I select the exam for one particular post?
Answer: Yes, while filling in the application form, you will have the option to apply for both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor, or just the later one.
Question: Will the exam be conducted in online mode?
Answer: Yes, from December 2018, the examination will be conducted in computer based mode.
Question: How many questions will be there in UCG NET?
Answer: There will be total 150 objective-type questions, for which maximum marks awarded is 300.
Question: Is there any negative marking in the paper?
Answer: No, there is no negative marking in the paper. For each correct answer, you will get 2 marks.
Question: What is the last date to submit the application fee?
Answer: The last date to submit the application fee is April 6, 2019. After the due date, the fee will not be accepted and your form will be rejected.
Question: Will there be any application form correction facility?
Answer: Students are advised to fill the application form very carefully and double check it before hitting the submit button. But in case, there are some errors in the submitted application form, the application form correction window will be open from April 25, 2019 to May 1, 2019.
Question: Is Aadhaar Card necessary to apply for the exam?
Answer: To apply for NET Exam, Aadhaar Card is very important. Without it, forms will not be accepted. In case, you have applied for Aadhaar Card, but not yet received it, you can fill in the Aadhaar Card number printed on your Aadhaar Card application form.
Question: Is the application fee refundable?
Answer: The application fee for UCG NET 2019, once remitted, is not refundable or transferable, under any circumstances. So be very sure, before applying for the exam.
Question: How can we pay the application fee?
Answer: The application fee for the exam can be paid either online through Credit Card/Debit Card or via offline mode through e-challan. Candidates paying the fee offline through e-challan will have to give the application fee in cash to Syndicate/ICICI/Canara Bank.
Question:Is there any relaxation to the candidates having research experience?
Answer: Yes, candidates having research experience in the relevant subject of their postgraduate degree will be given a relaxation of 5 years and LLM degree holders will also be provided a relaxation of 3 years.
Question: What is the minimimum eligibility criterion for UCG NET 2019?
Answer: To apply for NTA UCG NET 2019, students must have a post-graduation degree from a university recognized by UCG, with a minimum aggregate or percentage of 55% for general candidates and 50% in case of reserved category candidates.
Question: Is there any relaxation in minimum aggregate criterion for Ph. D. degree holders?
Answer: Yes, all Ph. D. degree holders whose post-graduation had been completed by 19th September, 1991 will be given a relaxation of 5% marks in the qualifying examination.
Question: Can I apply for the exam, if I am in the final year of my post-graduation?
Answer: Yes, candidates who are appearing for final examination of their Master’s degree (or equivalent degree) are also eligible to apply.
Question: What is the maximum age limit to apply for Assistant Professor Post?
Answer: There is no age limit to apply for Assistant Professor Post.
Question: Who are exempted from appearing in UCG NET exam?
Answer: All Ph. D. holders, UGC/CSIR JRF Qualified Candidates, State Eligibility Candidates (SET) Candidates are exempted from appearing for NET 2019. Candidates can check the details on the official website.
Question: When will be the admit cards available?
Answer: The admit cards for UCG NET 2019 will be available on the official website in the month of June 2019. Students can download their admit cards from there by logging in to their accounts.
Question: Is it necessary to take a print out of the admit card?
Answer: Yes, it is necessary to take hard copies of the admit card, as admit cards won’t be sent individually by post.
Question: Can we get entry to the examination hall without admit card (in case we forget)?
Answer: No, any candidate without the hall ticket will not be permitted to enter the examination hall and give the exam, under any circumstances. So students must carry the hard copy of their respective admit card.
Question: Can we select the examination center while registering for the exam?
Answer: Yes, while registering for the exam students can fill their preferred examination center. But the conducting authority does not guarantee to assign the preferred examination centers as they will be allocated as per availability.
Question: What other documents do I need to bring along with the hall ticket?
Answer: Along with the print out of admit card, students must bring their photo identity proof (voter ID card, aadhaar card, pan card, etc.) to the examination center on the date of exam.
Question: Do we have to bring pen or pencil to the examination center?
Answer: Candidates have to bring black or blue ball point pen along with them. Use of pencil is strictly prohibited in the exam.
Question: When will the results be out?
Answer: The results for UCG NET 2019 will be out in the month of July, 2019. Candidates will be able to check their result by entering their roll number and date of birth.
Question: What is the cut-off for UCG NET 2019?
Answer: General candidates have to score minimum 40 marks (40%) in Paper 1 and 80 marks (40%) in Paper 2. All OBC-NCL/PwD/SC/ST candidates have to score 35 marks (35%) in Paper 1 and 70 marks (75%) in Paper 2.
Question: Are women applicants given age relaxation?
Answer: Yes, all women applicants are given age relaxation of 5 years.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College