UGC NET Eligibility: NTA has laid out a defined and detailed eligibility criteria for UGC NET Exam. With the introduction of National Testing Agency or NTA as the new regulating body of the national level exam, no changes have been introduced in the eligibility standards. The following article informs the educational qualification, number of attempts, age limit and other such details in order to register for the national level exam.
- Candidates must check their eligibility before filling up UGC NET Application Form.
- The basic standards to apply online is that a candidate should be a Bachelor Degree holders with at least 55% marks.
- He/ she must not be more than 28 years as on January 1, 2019 for applying for Junior Research Fellowship.
- A relaxation of up to 5 years is provided for candidates belonging to reserved categories
- Ph.D. degree holders will be given relaxation of 5% aggregate marks if they have completed master’s degree before September 19, 1992 for appearing in NTA UGC NET.
UGC NET 2018 Eligibility: Academic Qualification
For candidates who wish to appear for NET 2018 conducted by UGC, they must clear all the defined standards. Given below is the eligibility criteria to appear for NTA UGC NET 2018:
- Candidate must have scored at least 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC/ST, OBC- NCL, PwD) in Master’s Degree or equivalent examination from university recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science etc. to be eligible for UGC NET 2018.
- Candidates who are presently in the final year of their Master’s program or those who are waiting for their final year results can appear for UGC NET 2018 test.
- Such candidates will be admitted provisionally and will be considered eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship or eligible for Assistant professor post, only after they secure at least 55% aggregate marks (50% for OBC (Non- creamy layer)/SC/ST/PwD category) in Master’s Program.
- Candidate in holding of Ph.D. degree will be eligible to appear for NET 2018 examination if they had completed their Master’s Degree by September 19, 1991. Such candidates will be given relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks.
- It is advisable for candidates to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. If your post- graduate subject is not in the list, you can opt for related subject.
- Candidates must not send any certificates or documents along with the application form to NTA.
- If candidate is found to be ineligible, their candidature will stand cancel in such event. Such candidate will be liable for legal action.
- Candidates belonging to the transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/ PwD categories. The subject wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
Practice withUGC NET Practice Papers
NTA UGC NET 2018 Age Limit and Relaxation
UGC NET 2018 Age Limit and Relaxation for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor are given below:
Junior Research Fellowship
- A candidate must not be more than 28 years as on January 1, 2018.
- There will be relaxation of up to 5 years for candidates belonging to reserved categories (SC/ST, OBC- NCL, and PwD) and also to women applicants.
- Candidates with research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant/related subject of post-graduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority, will be given relaxation.
- Three years’ relaxation in age will be permissible to candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree.
- No upper age limit has been decided by UGC for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor.
Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- A candidate will be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions, if they successfully clear NET/SLET/SET exam.
- Candidates who have been awarded a PhD Degree by UGC according to the minimum standards and procedure for the award will be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SELT/SET for appointment as Assistant Professor in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- Candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 will also be exempted from appearing in NTA UGC NET 2018.
- Candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor prior to June 1, 2002, will be exempted from appearing in NET.
NTA UGC NET Eligibility: Category-Wise
For General Category
Following is the General category eligibility who fulfil the UGC NET exam:
- 55% aggregate in Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree.
- The candidates applying for Junior Research Fellowship must be equal to 28 years.
- There will be no upper age limit for the post of Lecturer/Assistant Professor.
- The age relaxation is also provisioned for the candidates with experience of research (provided they have to obtain a certificate of the same to get the relaxation).
- The categorical relaxation in age will be allowed on the ground of producing relevant certificate.
- The candidates will not get any age relaxation of more than 5 years either through one or multiple clause.
- The certificates which will be considered as the proof of age are 10th standard marksheet or passing certificate and DOB certificate.
For ST/SC/OBC/ PWD Category
Following is the ST/SC/OBC/ PWD category eligibility:
- 50% aggregate in Master’s Degree.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level exam has completed by September 19, 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) will be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks i.e. from 55% to 50% for appearing in NET.
- A final year student of Master’s Degree or passed out student whose result is still awaited is also eligible for UGC NET Exam.
- However, such students will only be considered for the admission for the Award of Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor when they have passed their Master’s Degree with required percentage criteria.
UGC NET Eligibility FAQs
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility criteria or qualification for appearing in UGC NET Dec, 2018?
Ans: Candidates who are pursuing their master‟s degree or equivalent courses or candidates who have appeared for their qualifying master‟s degree (Final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examination have been delayed can appear in the UGC NET Dec 2018 Examination.
Ques. What is the minimum qualification for appearing in UGC NET Dec 2018 for candidates of unreserved category?
Ans: Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master‟s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/ institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this exam.
Ques. What is the minimum qualification for appearing in the National Eligibility Test for candidates of reserved category/ physically handicapped category/ PWD candidates?
Ans: The Other Backward Classes(OBC) belonging to noncreamy layer/Scheduled Caste(SC)/Scheduled Tribe(ST)/ persons with disability(PwD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master‟s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
Ques. Those candidates who have completed their Graduation but waiting for their final Year result. Can they eligible for NET December 2018?
Ans: Yes, Candidates who have appeared OR will be appearing at the qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying exam have been delayed may also eligible for this test.
Ques. Candidates who have done a Master's degree. Can they eligible for UGC NET November 2018 in any subject?
Ans: No, Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College